youtube.com/watch?v=G_U4cthFCLs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=S3a5j8PgQxg

your favorite Christmas special

youtube.com/watch?v=4e-wuyjgDPQ

youtube.com/watch?v=4e-wuyjgDPQ

this wins

Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

It doesn't matter how much the Nu/co/ that was born in 1997 sucks it off, it still is shit.

>elf on a shelf

when the fuck did this meme 'tradition' start? when I have kids we're sure as fuck not going to have an elf on a shelf

I never heard of it until 2 years ago.
I think it came from the flyover states

what about "Olive: the extra reindeer" or whatever the fuck it was called?

REVERSE

Name a better Christmas special

checkmate

Hey Arnold's.

A bit cliche, but it's probably one of my favorite episodes in the series.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elf_on_the_Shelf

tl;dr it started in 2005 as a marketing thing. It's never been an actual tradition

>hey let's invent a christmas 'tradition' that will make us a shit ton of money

wow, what horrible people

According to my parents the concept was very briefly a thing in like the late 60's.

It is for middle-class white people

Turtle Christmas
Rapsittie Kids

I literally never heard of it until 2012

I was so confused when I watched the cartoon special, and they treated them like dolls even though they were living beings, and you weren't allowed to touch them....

it just confused the fuck outta me

I'm a middle class white person and I think its stupid and materialistic.

BOW DOWN

BEFORE THE POWER OF SANTA

OR BE CRUSHED

BYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

what's more horrible is that it actually caught on, at least a little bit.

This. Not to mention a creepy element of voyeurism.

The Claymation Spongebob special

This shit caught me off guard how entertaining it actually is

I highly recommend it

youtu.be/lW5dIQ_F4tQ

is... is that runka chunk?

It just boggles my fucking mind the series of events that brought about that cinematic abortion. Two people decided to write a song about Santa running over Grandma. Then a record label signed them. Then the song became popular somehow. Then a film company decided that shit could be the new Rudolph. Then the final result of that terrible song, like some kind of virus, was like 5 more, one about "suing the pants off of santa."

don't forget how the husband and wife that originally made the song got divorced and the ex-wife sued the shit out of the husband and got all rights to the song.

I'd literally never heard of it until 2014 when I worked toys r us for the holiday season. my coworkers looked at me like I was nuts for not knowing about it.

every american dad christmas special.

fuck you

that song in the opening is actually pretty awesome

The girl elf is sorta cute, at least.

>boys are thrown back by the power of her butt

jesus christ
i guess both of you are some kind of bots

youtube.com/watch?v=GlFtMxG6mnY

>GlFt
dang thats a good random url for a christmas video

youtube.com/watch?v=f8xs0kitPaU

>SKIRT SOLD SEPARATELY

I can at least enjoy that as an oddity.

come again?

Three words
Trans Siberian Orchestra

youtube.com/watch?v=UvPurG-Bdgk

Depends on how exactly you define "Christmas special?"

The Legend of Frosty the Snowman

The moral of the story here seems to be "car vandalism is cool so long as you're stickin' it to the man".

Also Canadian artwork makes me vomit

Are you serious?

This isn't even bad artwork, and by Canada's usual standards, this is damn impressive.

Plus the animation wasn't fucking flash/tweening garbage, it was actually decent

You can go fuck yourself, mister

t. Greg Sullivan

Visually, this is exceptionally bad. If it were even acted out with fingerpuppets it would probably look better. But everything else wasn't nearly as bad in it. It was still mostly bad, but not terrible. For example the voice acting was pretty okay despite everything. If only it had better animation it would just be mediocre and sorta watchable. There were even a few parts I liked.

Now if the look of the Rapsittie Kids special could be applied to everything else about , you would have the perfect terrible christmas special.

kys

I didn't even know it was a thing until like last year. There was some news story about a little girl who was afraid she'd killed the elf by touching it or something and called 911. The story confused the hell out of me because I'd never heard of Elf on the Shelf.

>Santa is the nicest guy, but can also be badass
>Thoren (elf girl in pic) is a cute
>Gruzzlebeard is a based villain

I know, but it's even weirder in the special where they're actual living beings and then they pretend to be dolls, except not really, because they're spying on the kids....

It's just confusing and weird and uncomfortable

They try to explain it. They spout some kind of nonsense about the magic of christmas comimg from believing without needing proof. So they just can't come off as too real so that the kid still has room to doubt them.

The only thing is that that's actually a really terrible message, to demand that kids just have blind faith in shit without proof for no good reason. At least with religion you can maybe back up the faith by arguing that the religion's teaching may provide some kind of moral code to stand by or a road to some kind of spiritual growth, but believing in the elves comes from nowhere but a hope for receiving material gifts out of the deal.

The whole thing is just bizarre and I'm amazed and a bit startled that it's actually caught on. Like who even sees this and thinks "yeah that sounds like a good idea, let me take it home and tell my kid about it"?

Oh yeah I remember that. I think I remember being confused about it too.

The boy dares touches the elf, and they treat him like he's Hitler. It's just creepy.

Nothing surpasses the Grinch.

NOTHING.

Oh, the special was definitely made after the trend had already caught on. I think it was the children's book they made for it that initially sold so many people on the idea, and then they rolled out with the dolls after that caught on. I haven't read the book, but it looks like a pretty passable kid's book from what I've seen of the illustrations, and I think unlike the movie it presents the idea as seeming to be contained just to the family featured in it, instead of something pretty much everybody does. And if you just look at the cover of the book and know nothing else about it, you may not even realize it's trying to sell you a doll and can be duped into getting it without realizing it'll end with "mommy, we need to do this at our house too."

By now I think a lot of families just adopt it because they know other people doing it. Like last year a coworker of mine told me that was the main reason they do it. "But all the other kids in my kid's class do it. It's not like I can just say no." were pretty much her words. This is how we get shit like Hanukkah bushes.

HIS JOLLY BOOTS OF DOOM

Overall its been said to be a thing to get kids used to the idea of a surveillance state being a good thing.

Ratboy Genius tier

Nobody actually likes it.

People only "like" it for the sexy female antagonist.

this is how Rudolph was started. Some department store hired a jew to write a story they could hand out in november and december to get people to buy stuff

>not posting this
youtube.com/watch?v=G_U4cthFCLs

this one was okay

Best grill