What went wrong?

A thread like this had and i think still has so much potential. What happened?

Nobody was interested in reading other peoples webcomics, just chilling theirs.

>chilling

shilling

This. I think there is a certain style that is favored in those threads as well, though what's posted there can be fairly diverse. I stopped posting a long time ago because nobody commented on my work, negatively or positively, and the exposure wasn't worth the "risk" of posting my work in there as last time I visited the quality had severely dropped off.

dewd, bones, scribblehatch, coldfusion

and feelsposter forms the head!

I think a lot of people on Sup Forums would rather insult things than compliment it, which is why poorly written or drawn content gets more replies. When I post pages, I actually interpret getting no replies to mean that the page has no outstanding mistakes

these threads are a mistake, just let them die

Dewd and bones being the opening posts was certainly a death knell, but I think a lot of artists are on Christmas break right now, including me.

how do we make HYWC great? it's a shame it's such a shithole

Defeat its boss rush of four shitposters.

Besides reddit, I don't know any other place to discuss creating comics

That's only part of the problem. I agree with first post, nobody talks to each other here

Because most don't want to listen. There are a ton of shitty comics, but everyone knows at this point these people don't really care to improve. Suggestions and advice will be met with excuses or ignored.

The most discussion happens when people don't post comics and just discuss ideas, because then they are more receptive to criticism since there's nothing too personal invested.

For bad comics, you're correct. But many good comics are ignored, whether out of personal tastes not being met, or the belief that since the comic is already good, it doesn't need to be commented on.

there exists a problem where a comic appears objectively good but simply of no personal interest.

"that's good" is of limited value to the creator (and could be completely wrong by the standards of the genre they're doing.) but no commentary is incredibly discouraging.

vis-a-vis my own WIP comic, the pace of development has slowed to the point where it's not even fair to pretend i'm working on it.

I'm just to busy with my own webcomic, I have no time to get interested in anybody else's. There's only like two that I follow at all. And even if I did have time, most around here are shitty uninspired anime knockoffs, or social commentary from underage shutins who don't know what they're talking about.

>uninspired anime knockoffs
what did he mean by this

>social commentary from underage shutins who don't know what they're talking about.
how did you predict my comic even though i didn't actually post it in these threads? :^)

i'll have you know it's a a WIP videogame now. I'm the idea guy.

>UNDERAGE
reported

i was underage when i came up with it. it's still no further along.
sadly i'm now 20. it still hits me that i no longer have to lie about my age. it hurts.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm nowhere near good enough yet to actually post anything but pages after pages of exercises. That doesn't make for an interesting thread. Art can take a very long time to see any real improvement. Things like character and environment design are really only relevant to discuss at the beginning, and not nearly enough people are starting webcomics for that to keep a thread alive constantly.

I mean, I guess I could discuss ideas if that helps, but is that really a "how's your webcomic?" or is it more "One day I might start a webcomic."

I took the advice and resource and even read a few comics there. I won't post my own comic on Sup Forums tho, I makes me feel cheap.

magic school girls. Card games. Etc.

for what it's worth, I've consistently been getting good feedback in these threads. This place has legitimately helped me as an artist. I'm pretty sure there are /ic/ folks that lurk these threads, except they're actually helpful. I try to help out on what I know in regards to dialogue and panel flow, things like that

Idk, generally speaking, I'd say these are one of the better threads on Sup Forums desu. We stay on topic, we're self contained, most people tend to get help when they ask for specific things, instead of just going "how's my comic", since that's kind of vague as fuck. Yeah we have our fair share of shitposters, but what thread doesn't?

so are these threads dead?

The feedback I always used to get varied from non-existant to horrible.

Granted, I rarely post actual work, but I get great answers when I ask specific questions or ask for a tip on something I'm struggling with.

wait, are we making this the new thread? you can't ctrl-F it
yeah I see a lotta 'mics I like but there's just nothing to say, and I don't feel very compelled to read them.
But I'm currently binging two comics that I was pointed to from these threads, so obviously not everything gets ignored
that has always fallen under the HYW umbrella. the idea here is to give everyone a bit of a springboard

Some people just aren't as good at bumping
We used to have a few foreignbros in other timezones but I think our northern european artists have left or are en vacances, so we're left with americans and latin americans, so that's no help bumping during the wee hours

I would have preserved the one from yesterday morning but I was busy with special Xmas volunteering, whereas the one from yesterday afternoon died while I was asleep
It's just that time of year. pretty sure it happened last year too

>that has always fallen under the HYW umbrella. the idea here is to give everyone a bit of a springboard
I see where you're coming from, but I always felt it was a bit disingenuous asking help with a plot when I'm sitll having trouble drawing a circle consistently.

Well just keep it in perspective
say "i know I'm not even ready since I can't draw a fucking circle yet, but I'd like to talk about (blah)"

keep in mind nobody can draw a circle...

You-know-who killed this thread.

Yeah, good point. Even if my line work is still shit, I could still ask if x or y would look better or make a more interesting story.

you, posting someone's art to make fun of them and and troll the thread. yes we know. you did it before with that furry thing.

>bones
well
uh.. shall we make this a good thread, to spite him?

Because it feels better to post your comic in a place where it's expected rather than getting torn apart for making a new thread for your comic.

I certainly think so. and I've gotten some good advice here too. and tons of lousy advice, but that's fine, it washes right off.

>Boozle hasn't updated in months
>Makes a special update just to whine about muh oppression
don't do this, kids

agree with these anons mostly. The comic making guys that come here and try to take things seriously are pretty cool. The past couple of threads weren't that great but the people who are driven are going to continue regardless of this general.

I doubt it's actually him. Bones can't care less for the quality of the threads, just as long as he gets as much attention as possible.
Actually, to be honest, I don't think we should be concerned with ridding ourselves of shitposters because they can simply come and go when they want and there's not much anyone can do except ignore them. We need to just focus on comics.

Yeah I suppose I just wanna know whether we're really going to call this thread #336 or not

This isn't a thread about webcomic discussion, this is a thread discussing threads about webcomic discussion.

we should just rename it to "how's your webcomic thread"

>How's Your 'How's Your Webcomic'

Really though, I'll get back to comics when I come back from my Christmas vacation with family

i knew i fucked it up somehow

I mean, there are quite a few posts left before the bump limit if we want to change tracks.

I'll start by sharing my degenerate idea. Witch's familiar - a cat named Ruby - is in love with her owner, a human male, so she gets into all sorts of lewd hijinx trying to seduce him. Some basic plots will include discovering Ruby is into bondage when they go shopping for a collar, Ruby's lap cuddling getting a bit too intense, and master wishing he had a normal cat when Ruby brings him condoms instead of mice.

How does that sound? I've got about 30 story ideas for it written down.

i suppose reposting what got posted near the end of the last one would be gauche then
perhaps just a link to said thread in case someone wants to catch up

get drawing

Really? It might just be the sketchbook I'm using, or I may have picked up the wrong kind of sharpie or something, but I find it to bleed everywhere and that it's very grainy, like I'm drawing over a layer of sand. (I'm exaggerating a bit, but it certainly wasn't smooth) I stole one of my brother's Sakura Microns, which is much better by comparison and what really tempted me to get some fancy pens to see if they're even nicer.

Thanks, but I'm so it'll be a while before I'm capable of drawing anything fapworthy. If it's any consolation, I'm putting in a few hours of practice a day to the point where my shoulder's sore.

>few hours
kill yourself, might as well not draw

that sounds fucking great

How... How long should I be practicing each day?

8 sets of gestures
8 sets of construction
8 sets of life drawing
8 hours a day

8-9 hours a day

been gone for a while
are these threads really dead? no salvaging?
if i made one tomorrow, would nobody post?
i rather liked them when there was actual discussion,

you're using your shoulder? i mean elbow's one thing

There are a couple posters who give decent criticism, but they aren't frequent enough and a lot of the content creators would either ignore it or get into a futz about it. Multiple thread-darlings just shoved off shortly after getting harsh feedback.

I know how you feel, because I never got any feedback the few times I posted, but I'm more frustrated at the people who got great advice and did nothing with it.

>not using your shoulder
never gonna make it

when the thread can't even sustain itself and dies even with people actively trying to bump it, that's a sign. just stop trying and move on.

I think it's more about how much you draw, not how long it takes
try to do at least one complete drawing a day

>if i made one tomorrow, would nobody post?
I will
if what you're saying is true then there's no reason to try to make it happen, it'll happen on its own. stop trying to get people to stop trying and move on, and move on

>the crazy dad desperate to keep his braindead kid on life support
it's time to let go jim

your metaphor is terrible. I was just saying don't kill the boy, just turn off the life support and if he dies, oh well. in the meantime i'm gonna keep feeding the fucker and moving his jaw so he eats.

Agreed.

Let this be the last.

>i'm gonna keep feeding the fucker and moving his jaw so he eats, he cries as he grips the bowl of oatmeal next to a wall of medical equipment hooked up to his dying boy at 3AM
>through the window the nurses looked on with both pity and fear, as quiet sobs and chewing sounds echoed through the dead hallways

ok, if there is a next one
lets try to not have it go to shit

you could always make it now. or later, whichever you wish

No. Let this pathetic experiment die.

where else can I go to discuss making comics?

ill make it tomorrow afternoon or so
so prep up your works

It's a solitary journey. You are meant to be alone.

cool man, cooool

Southern european here. I am just AFK most of the time, and rarely lurk the thread in the day time. I'm sorry. Besides, my webcomic is advancing slowly, too slowly to bother you folk with it, I'm afraid.

And it's cape and a fan comic. I'm going to throw in Cthulhu monsters soon, but I'm still pages behind it

it's weird how few cape fancomics you actually see given how youd expect there to be a million terrible ones

I guess it's because it requires you to be either way confident about your anatomy or too unworried about it to even care.

And you can get the real stuff, plenty. I've noticed japanese people are more inclined to draw 4komas, tho.

I mean... cape fan 4komas.
Which essentially are classic comic strips.

please die

rather not

better sleep with one eye open, I won't give you that (1) next time