I don't understand why Marvel/DC superhero comics never truly come to an end...

I don't understand why Marvel/DC superhero comics never truly come to an end. Wouldn't you prefer new characters for a new time by new creators?

Casuals would just get pissed and won't stop or even consider getting into comics unless they're brought back.

What new characters created in the last 20 years can even support 30k readers a month.

Manga fan it's time to read back issues or move on if superhero comics are too dense for you to grasp

>I don't understand why Marvel/DC superhero comics never truly come to an end.

Why not? Are you retarded or something?

It used to be really nice.

How mangá can do it, but not western comics?

The market they sell to is different.

Jut stop reading capeshit

I just think it's really stupid that the people that originally created these characters are dying off and can barely keep up with what happened to their own creation.

Geek

Western comics do it. But you only want to focus on the 120 books the big two release a month while ignoring the other 250 monthly releases from other publishers

No you idiot. Thatd be like asking why people kept using Hercules instead of making a new demi god.

You don't seem to grasp how huge of an idea these heroes are. They are American myths. They are the ideal that our children hold themselves to. They are constant figures to look up to throughout all time. They appear everywhere in American media and merchandise and are the classic heroic archetypes that most modern characters are based on. They arent just creations in a comic book, they are modern American legends.

Not that user, but what if I actually really love cape comics but still long for conclusions? I feel like I would absolutely quit reading the big two but I can't because the quality of cape comics outside those two publishers aren't cool enough. When they do it though, I really enjoy it. I think IDW's TMNT and Hellboy are way better than Marvel and DC. I just wish there was more stuff like that because it seems like indy comics tend to like covering genres that aren't cape. And don't recommend me Valiant because they seem like they want to eventually go down the Marvel/DC route eventually except their heroes look stupid as shit. Yes, it's important to me that the characters have good costumes.

I thought Johnny Appleseed was the American legend?

This, these heroes have taken on a life of their own at this point. They are bigger than the people that created them.

That sounds more like you have an issue with your sample size being too small. How many elseworlds have you read? Have you looked outside of American comics or to Image? Have you read old arcs and storylines?

You just seem like you are new to comics and don't know where to look.

The fuck is your problem. They are just superheroes created by creators. The process that went into creating these legendary myths are no different than new creations by new creators today. By forcing new creators add to the mythology instead of creating their own, only limits the amount of legendary icons that can exist. Every comic nowadays is just fan fiction.

That's what I have sweaty mandrama for.

the last time i was really impressed with a characters debut was bkv's the hood. was really interested in seeing his rise, but marvel superspeed through everything that would have made me care. he went from street hood right to fighting all the avengers.

this shitty pacing plagues most new characters, and i think its the main reason new guys don't gain much traction.

Like Mickey Mouse.

Kek man you couldnt be more wrong. Time and influence has shaped them into being much more than just "characters created by creators" that could be done again. Every child in America over the last 75 years grew up with these legends and tales. Orphans strive to make themselves better by looking to Batman, farmboys strive to be more by looking to Superman and women are shown that not all princesses are damsel's in distress by Diana. I suggest you read some literature on how these characters became larger than life. Most characters today are just derivative of these originals.

I'm gonna chalk your stupidy and disrespect up to age though.

Because I would still want to read about Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent.

Why do we HAVE to have characters retire or phase out in comics?

Just try to have a blend of new and old.

DC does it and succeeds.

Marvel just abandons they're iconic heroes in favor of shoving SJW bullshit down readers throats.

Why dont you just read Image if you want new OC characters? Are you some kind of retard that fell for the they are for SJWs meme?

You are actually right. I have a problem that I don't have a big enough selection of comics to choose from. I usually really enjoy the elseworlds but the problem is, I always go back to the main Marvel/DC Universe because that's where a lot of the top talent create most of the time. I've tried looking at other things like Image, that's why I'm a Spawn and Haunt fan but it's usually hit or miss with those. At the end of the day, the big two are the best at capes, and I just have a half-pissed relationship with them because I know their comics don't end. I'm forcing my manga-like wishes upon them even though that's probably not what they ever want to do.

Vigilante and Enemy Ace, two of the very best characters and runs to of ever come out of DC both came to a very good end.

deadpool and harley maybe? when did they first show up

Not to mention The Question arguably the best DC run ever made. It ended with him retiring.

1990 and 1992

>what if I actually really love cape comics but still long for conclusions?
Then read some non-Big 2 cape comics. Those DO exist you know. Invincible is probably going to be ending in the next few years. Dr. McNinja is going to be ending in January.

part of the buy in is accepting a never ending story.

Stigma of comic books being lesser and childish. Dominace of the big two and their capes.

Not really. Its more all the Japanese history was erased about 70 years ago. Its hard for them to create lasting myths and legends they can look up to when they realized their god was a phoney and they were all under the influence of brainwashing.

never read any question stuff, should get round to that

ah, cheers dude

the problem is that autistic assholes will never let go, so instead of decent ends, heroes get vilified, killed off or otherwise humilliated in their own works, and then replaced with black kids and or women (who use the same hero name "just because") rather than any new characters ever being made.

so, rather than giving a character like batman an actual ending, they'll just keep having him get taken out, then miraculously springing back up again, (and again and again...)

By now, Dick should have been batman for several years, and bruce should have died saving the world from one of the worse arch villains. Hell, they even played at that, but fucked it up at every level.

basicalaly, the way these things work is like this:

>be normie
>have comic book phase as a kid
>read for a few years, get tired of it/discover girls/etc
>stop reading
>only ever regain interest for the hollywood movie years later, and then only for a minute

Or

>be retard
>start reading comics at age 11 and never stop
>learn everything you can about all characters and argue with other retards on the internet until you die at age 40 from self inflicted injuries.

Neither of these scenarios require a definitive ending, honestly.

>forcing new creators add to the mythology instead of creating their own
Literally no one does this. Most people would LOVE to make a Superman comic, and no one is stopping them from making OC's. Maybe they won't let you make an OC for a certain company, but that doesn't mean you can't make your own in your own universe. In fact, the only example of forcing I can think of is when they forced Moore to make OC's for Watchmen instead of ruining other characters.

Western comics can do it, but superhero stories really work with the format of never ending stories. You have some limitations, like being forced to give plot armor to a lot of characters and, getting to creative dead ends when you've explored all the possible combinations between Batman and the Joker for example, and the fact that you are going to get some shitty stories in the mix because you're forced to use different writers.

But most superheroes aren't single characters anymore, they lean closer to archetypes, and they can be reinterpreted.

Isn't that what Marvel is practically doing by replacing half their characters?

Did I miss something?

Toppest of fucking keks. You are so god damn sad. I bet you think in terms of "nerds and cool kids."

Superheroes are to inspire anyone, it doesnt matter your age or background. The fact that you think if you read comics you must be some basement dwelling virgin overweight neck beard is hysterical. Get out of the house sometime and stop applying labels to people and maybe you'd get laid and stop thinking inside such a small box.

Probably is everything has been done before. It's hard to come up with original characters that aren't just a shittier version of a classic character.

yeah it's almost like comic fanboys just want to whine and complain

>Isn't that what Marvel is practically doing by replacing half their characters?
Do you actually think any of those changes are gonna last more than a few years?

I mean, Marvel is always behind DC in trends, and DC has had legacy characters for decades. I think this is just Marvel playing catch up and some of them will stick around.

Bendis does that and everyone bitches and hates the new characters.

You should never have said that pretentious shit user (even if I myself believe it too) because of fags like this

The fact that people still want to tell and read stories about them speaks of how powerful they are as concepts. Even if we make new characters, they are going to be based on old archetypes. They're essentially going to be the same shit repackaged. What's the point if you have the originals?

Depends on what you mean by "coming to an end"

I would love it if silver age characters got to grow old and have kids and, like, see the actual end of their lives like the Earth-2/JSA characters did in past eras.

But most characters in fiction have one adventure in their life and then their story just...stops. We're not getting "their life's story", we're getting "the only interesting thing that ever happened to them, and afterward was happily ever after."

And superheroes' lives don't work that way. They have lots of interesting things happen to them, which is why their storytelling is continuous.

These characters do not truly belong to the original creators anymore. Batman or Superman are more to the general public than simple company owned IP's, they're icons people have grown up with and idolized for decades and they've come to have a much bigger purpose for people than simple entertainment.

Batman, Spider man, Superman etc. is never going to 'come to an end' in our lifetime.

If you want comics that have a definitive start and end with characters you don't already know, read something else than cape comics. Easy.

Youngblood was made from a failed Titans pitch, the 70s xmen were created for Legion before the artist left for marvel. And some of the side characters in savage dragon started off as a pitch for 90s x factor before the artist was moved to spider-man

More recent, the creator of Miss America is making an image comic with a blatant rip off of the character he created for Marvel.

I love the legacy characters but do they ever get to actually permanently take on the mantle of the A-List icon before them? Because if not, then how are we gonna have the next generation of legacy characters AFTER these current Teen Titans?

>More recent, the creator of Miss America is making an image comic with a blatant rip off of the character he created for Marvel.

Tell me more, I'd love to know what he imagined that character being because for the life of me I can't find a fucking personality or reason to exist in there.

Marvel has been great so far. DC really need to work on some stuff. Image has some interest. Aspen has interesting books to read

Recommending Marvel and Aspen books. Check out Image books aswell

Only when they're popular enough. Miles will never stick around because he's clearly inferior to Peter. However, a character like Wally will stick around because he's superior to Barry.

I don't see what the problem with giving inspirational characters an end is. What about the DC Animated Universe? That eventually came to an end, and I actually appreciate them even more than their junk-filled comic counterparts because of it.

Big Two Cape characters do get endings sometimes. They typically aren't "canon" but that's beside the point as all this shit is made up anyway.

>Marvel has been great so far.

The literally only good things they have out right now are Spider-Man/Deadpool, Uncanny Avengers, She-Hulk, Carnage, RYV, Daredevil, and Cage.

Out of curiosity which comics have you read/are reading?

There is no real problem, but it's not really possible to truly 'end' these characters. You can end a cartoon or comic which features them, or the companies can decide they don't want money anymore and stop using them in stories, but you can 'kill' Batman as much as you can 'kill' Zeus.

Both DC and Marvel try to introduce new heroes and stories all of the time, but it very rarely has the same pull as the characters people have known and loved since childhood.

So why did they ever bring back Barry Allen and Hal Jordan if they were already phased out? They should've kept it that way.

Because people wanted to write stories for them. You don't have to end a character for them to be meaningful or entertaining, look at Sherlock Holmes. No one ever complains that they have to write for Batman or Spider-Man, they usually jump at the opportunity and introduce their own characters in different books or that series they're working on.

It looks more like trying to cash in on how character is currently presented. All America is also nothing like the Miss America who appeared in Vengeance.

All the new Cosmic books show some promise.

Except Thanos, fuck Deodato.

The real answer to your question is money. Cape comics is not a medium a lot of people indulge in today, it's a niche market, but the icons they've produced make DC and Marvel mad dosh with blockbuster movies, games and merchandise.

They ultimately don't really care about the actual quality of the comics they put out, or to do something truly new, because Batman the comic book character is nothing money-wise compared to Batman the American pop-culture icon. DC makes a lot more money on shirts with the Bat logo on it than they do actual Batman comics.

Why spend time and effort trying to build up new mythologies and characters for a medium only a small portion of the current population enjoys on a regular basis, when you can make billions on exporting already beloved characters to other forms of entertainment?

>You don't have to end a character for them to be meaningful or entertaining, look at Sherlock Holmes

Not really anything to do with the rest of your post, but kind of funny when you consider Arthur Conan Doyle killed Holmes off in 'The Final Problem' and proclaimed the character over and done with, but the character had become too much of an icon and people didn't accept the stories being over. So a bunch of shitty Victorian Holmes fanfiction was being written and passed off as official stories. Doyle had to make the character return in a new story to make sure the fanfics wouldn't be mistaken for his work.

I can enjoy both types of stories, thankfully.

No, they probably wouldn't focus on straight white males like myself. I'll take muh "muhs"

Because most comics from the big 2 aren't a single linear story with a defined beginning, middle and end. They're supposed to take place in a living, breathing world not unlike our own.

We're not reading a story from their world about the characters, we're seeing their lives.

but kamala so brown and so cute.

Wasn't Ms. Marvel around 30k a month?

I never liked the idea of Mutants doing something that isn't

>Shoot things
>become something

Because inherently their powers come from their X-gene. I can sorta believe that Colossus can turn into steel or the Wolverine has a healing factor, but how does one's body make time bubbles?

Not anymore thanks to Bendis.

all superpowers are just unstable molecules bro