If there ever was a film to perfectly exemplify the phrase "glib facsimile" it would undoubtedly be Blade Runner 2049...

If there ever was a film to perfectly exemplify the phrase "glib facsimile" it would undoubtedly be Blade Runner 2049. A film that mimics the original's style and atmosphere but lacks the underlying philosophical and thematic depth that made the first one so brilliant. I can't believe I actually paid money to see what is essentially a collection of rehashed ideas from better films (Blade Runner, A.I., Her)

I was similarly disappointing. Not sure why it's getting all the praise. It's a fantastically shot film, but lacks all of the philosophical underpinnings and nuances that made the first film shine.

Now let's all shut up and drink our futuristic Johnnie Walker whisky.

The relationship between K and JOI has more depth than entire first Blade Runner.

>expecting this soulless cashgrab to be any good in the first place

Really it's your own fault.

>I was similarly disappointing.

Its bad enough when Sup Forums doesn't even know anything about the filmmaking process it criticises others in the industry for allegedly failing

Now you can't even speak English properly

Sci-fi is glib. Comes with the territory. When it's not glib, it's not really enjoyed as sci-fi anymore. Solaris is probably a good example. Although Tarkovsky can be glib too.

normies don't care about rehashed ideas (look at how popular Stranger Things is) as long as you brainwash them into thinking it's hip beforehand

This movie does the "underlying philosophical and thematic depth" much better than the original, you're just too stupid to understand it.

"hurr, it's just too deep for you"

Nice argument.

But he's 100% right.

the entire movie is a simulacrum. would have been nice to see something new.

I love how much this movie baffles and bores normalfags. Truly /ourfilm/

2049 has 3 times more depth than original.

Prove me wrong faggot

The original Blade Runner is not a brainy movie. 2049 matches the original perfectly in that it is completely superficial with its subject and themes.

Where does "glib facsimile" come from again? Was it an Armond White review or was it a meme for like a month and then quickly died out. I can't remember, but the latter sounds right. Maybe it was a combination of the two.

How long have you been alive?

Honest question: what are you getting at?

Movies are as deep as you make them. Some do it better than most but I could sit here and write a thousand words on the esoteric, philosophical underpinnings of fucking Dr. Strange because I know the material well enough and there's enough in Dr. Strange to bounce off of that I'm not some drooling brainlet reddit mong who needs "PAY ATTENTION: PHILOSOPHICAL UNDERPINNINGS" in giant neon letters to go off to tell me me am smurt for watching smurt movie

Fucking pleb, probably couldn't tell me a single insightful thing about the first one either.

glib facsimile isn't really prescribed to anybody.

do explain how this movie differs from any other film that attempts to derive relative meanings from power discourse. because that would truly make for an intelligent movie.

Its pure pleb bait

It's a solid 6/10. Not bad just not great either.

The first Blade Runner didn't have any depth, it's a fucking Ridley Scott movie.