Twenty years in Gotham, Alfred; we've seen what promises are worth. How many good guys are left...

>Twenty years in Gotham, Alfred; we've seen what promises are worth. How many good guys are left? How many stayed that way?

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN? WHO HAS CHANGED? We've never seen this version of Gotham before.

God this dialogue sucks so much and rings of typical Goyer "Tell, don't show".

SHOW

DON'T

TELL

You made this shit thread yesterday you fucking sperg.

Oy wus in burma, masta wayne

But the movie did show you that after 20 years of fighting crime and corruption in Gotham Batman ended up losing any faith he had in his life mission and started to see himself as being no better than the very criminals he used to hunt.

He's talking about himself there.

He is talking about Harvey Dent, Jason Todd and Thomas Elliot.

>what is foreshadowing
how about you shut the fuck up and be patient, you uppity little nigger?

>We've never seen this version of Gotham before.
Do you know of ANY version of Gotham that isn't a giant shithole? Do you need a Gotham City origin story? Are you really this culturally illiterate? Would you also need a Santa Claus origin story?

>75 years of comic books, cartoons, movies and video games, Alfred. Gotham City has been a part of our mythology for longer than most human beings that currently walk the Earth have been alive. But still, there are autistic spergs on the Internet who will throw their arms up and go, "I TECHNICALLY don't get it, but only as a TECHNICALITY!"

and gordon

I understand your point user but after TDK trilogy established its canon so thoroughly, you can't just make an entirely new version and not do your homework. If anything you have to work twice as hard to establish yours as being new and independent.

What?

Gotham in the TDK trilogies constantly fucking changed its aesthetic and demographic without reason.

But by the end of the series, you get it. If you're going to rebuild it completely from scratch you gotta put in work.

That's just because nolan is a hack.

Tell me about the tangerines again, Al

You don't get shit. Gotham changed considerably from BATMAN BEGINS to THE DARK KNIGHT without an excuse for it.

I won't even talk about all the stupid plot-holes concerning the city in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

Futhermore, Nolan Gotham changes in aesthetic from film to film but Batman's "world" stays pretty consistent. What the people and city look like isn't so important, as Gotham isn't supposed to have a real world counterpart, it is not NYC or Chicago or Pittsburgh.

We had this thread two days ago, is this a new pasta?

Batman's "World" also changes without much of an explanation.

For example TDK ignoring the whole train system being blown to bits by Batman in BB.

These are all just aesthetic differences, things that hardly affect the plot and themes.

>pass user since 2016

Why did he need tangerine slices?

Damn, you're so right. How did we ever figure out that Darth Vader suffered a tragic fall before found redemption? I can't believe I've been dancing around this gaping hole of plot my whole life without realizing why OT Vader wasn't a compelling, intriguing charactef, nor any of the others for that matter. We needed si set-up movies autistically detailing all the minutiae of their lives leading up to A New Hope.

Fuck mystery. Thank Odin(surprise! Totally a god now guize!) that Disneg came along to enlighten us all.

um, excuse me? Sup Forums is my home now :)

>Thank Odin(surprise! Totally a god now guize!)
I like this meme, it'll rile up the (((mouses)))

>SHOW
>DON'T
>TELL

YOURE AN IDIOT AND THAT DOESNT SOUND AS CLEVER AS YOU THINK

He's alluding to a larger world that asks a little of the viewer, to imagine just a tad, to infer. Anyone with a whiff of pop culture knows Batman has rogues and associates, his referencing that is solid world building. And a more weathered, weary Batman which fit.

You're an autistic meme viewer who sees films as math problems with one correct formula and eventual answer. They're not that.

>Even at his most pedestrian or bombastic, Snyder makes a far more engaging film than Christopher Nolan (an executive producer of “Batman v Superman”) ever did—because Nolan presumes to know and to show, whereas Snyder wants to see. Even his slender philosophical world seems like he’s discovering it, not delivering it.

This.
For him, like Stanley Kubrick before him, it's show. Not tell. He doesn't believe in spoon-feeding plot points and spelling out character arcs. He shows them on film and only uses a little bit of dialogue and exposition, which isn't always necessary anyway. In BVS, I knew the pain and sorrow Superman felt when those people died in the bombing and his reaction was far more powerful than any words that can be spoken. I knew Batman's smoke pellets were lined with lead (Superman being unable to see him on the roof) because during the training montage, he wrote the atomic formula for "lead" on them. That's Snyder's thing. He doesn't prioritize visuals over story. His visuals ARE the story. Rather than rely on a straightforward narrative with typical, generic, and predictable on-the-nose execution, he relies on actor performances, emphasized camera shots, lighting, framing, costumes, set designs, location specifics, symbolism, sound effects, and the attention span of the audience (even though not all of them have a significant amount of such). Like I said, Kubrick was the same way and just like Snyder, he was hated and misunderstood until enough time passed and people started to look at his work in a new light. The same is happening now to this day. I've already met several people who went from hating BVS to loving it passionately

Well said.

I mean, I get where you're coming from to a degree, but while I think this film is rushed in establishing it's own universe and allowing us to get attached to this particular version of the characters, I disagree that this line in particular is a problem. Gotham being an enormous hellhole that changes people for the worse is well known and established by nearly 80 years of popular culture. Think of any given Batman villain. Just about every single one of them started out as a neutral character and was corrupted by Gotham and her rogues. Riddler, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman. All of these characters have at least one iteration where that's the case. Pick your poison.