Is this the most depressing film ever made?

Is this the most depressing film ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Vny6gGoXW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its a terrible film. Watch the top 50 TSPDT and you will never come back to this shit.

I've seen all of those. The question is it the most depressing film ever made.

Diary of a Country Priest
Tokyo Story
The 400 Blows
The Passion of Joan of Arc

for starters

I've seen all of those. They're not as depressing as this one.

Your film isn't in the list though therefore its a bad film

The Road was probably the most depressing movie I've seen.

In most depressing movies, unfortunate events happen to a set of characters: a loved one dies of cancer, or an individual goes through heartbreak or self-sacrifice or whatever. In The Road not only do the main characters suffer, the entire setting is drenched with characters constantly suffering with no reprieve in sight. It won't get better for them, the sun will not suddenly shine. Everyone is doomed to die violently or shivering in a mass of dirty rags coughing blood and ash. The ending is supposed to be the tiniest glimmer of hope, yet you know the child and his new companions will suffer all their lives.

What list? Are you being serious?

Still the only movie "soundtrack" I've ever bought. Salyu is a goddess.

Same, I listen to it all the time. I can feel the ether.

the TSPDT list

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Why would you let a list decide for yourself what movies are good or not?

Because it hasn't been wrong yet. I try to watch other films but I can't enjoy them. I'm sure if I watched Ether I wouldn't like it.

Ok, I guess it's good if you're first exploring film. I wouldn't let someone elses list decide for you what movies you should like or not though. Appreciating art is part of your personal aesthetic taste.

They ate the little boy right after the movie ended.

You opened with an objective question whether your film was the most depressing film ever, don't back down now

That's not an objective question, I was just starting a conversation about depressing movies. Very little about art is objective. The way you think is like a child, you shouldn't take a random list based off of critics as holy scripture.

I always thought it was left ambiguous whether they ate him or not. although that user is right, the end result would be the same either way: the continuation of suffering

>tail a man and his son for weeks on foot
>finally catch up and eat the little boy
>calories expended chasing them is still at least triple what they got from his meat

>TSPDT

What's that

I haven't seen the movie but in the book it's pretty clear the boy is not eaten.

I'm a completely new user you fucking fag, learn to read the post count or get out

They shoot pictures don't they, it's an amalgation of the top critics rankings all put together in one list. It's pretty good if you don't know much about films and want to learn more, but this guy is taking it as some sort of objective measurement.

Don't they straight up talk to the kid and leave with him? Doesn't make sense for them to bother doing that instead of just grabbing him and cutting his throat if they plan on killing him.

What? I wasn't making some sort of objective statement, I was asking a question and trying to open a thread about depressing films, this is how threads usually start on Sup Forums.

>slice-of-life film with nothing interesting in terms of characterization, cinematography, dialogue, or story
I found one of those female guides to be cute. Everything else was garbage.

This was pretty bad.

The movie IS on the list though, retard.

I found the cinematography to be amazing personally. The way they used the lighting, handheld cameras, and everything else.

>no jagten
Little kids are the devil

>nothing interesting in terms of cinematography
>literally invents digital cinema from scratch, Noboru Shinoda being a genius cinematographer making on of the most beautiful digital movies ever

>I found the cinematography to be amazing personally.
I think you standards are lower because it's so "realistic." Tree of Life is also a "slice of life" film where nothing happens, but at least it looks good.

>>literally invents digital cinema from scratch, Noboru Shinoda being a genius cinematographer making on of the most beautiful digital movies ever
Is this your opinion, or are you quoting someone else? Whether he made a digital camera from scratch is irrelevant as far as his skill in cinematography goes.

No, I just appreciate the aesthetics it uses, the way digital cameras were used in the film has still yet to be unsurpassed to this day. I didn't like the Tree of Life's cinematography.

The prestige, but for personal reasons, since I worked as the lights guy for my high school's theater club
The line about only caring about the man on the stage triggers several existential crises to this day.

>the way digital cameras were used in the film has still yet to be unsurpassed to this day.
K. I consider it another example of the Japs being almost completely inept at making live-action films, especially compared to their Korean neighbors, but that's just my opinion. It just so happens to be correct, but that's just a fact.

It must just be a matter of taste then. I find Korean films to be atrocious, and the cinematography in Ozu and Mizoguchi to be incomparable.

What number?

The devil, probably

it also has the most kino ending of any movie

Dear Zachary was the saddest movie I ever saw, but I cried during the dog slaughter scene in Equilibrium, so whatever.

Number #577 on the 21st century list.

>and the cinematography in Ozu and Mizoguchi to be incomparable.
I was actually talking about modern Japanese films compared to modern Korean films.

>Only movies on a arbitrary list composed of film critics circlejerks can be considered good movies.
Jesus christ you are a seriously impressionable faggot arent you?

Zulawski?

Ok, well I still find modern Japanese film to be much better than Korean. Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Aoyama, Sono, Kawase, Kitano, Koreeda have all made great stuff while the only good contemporary Korean director is Hong Sang-Soo

Finally someone I can agree with. It's become such a trendy opinion to shit on modern Japanese auteurs while praising the Korean schlockmakers like they are some sort of geniuses. I mean some of Bong's and Park's movies are fun but they are literally B-movie tier schlock when put next to Iwai's or Kawase's stuff.

What's your letterboxd?

Bresson

This one was about on par.

Seems like a bunch of literally who's whose films I haven't seen, as I would probably find them either pointless edgy, or dull, and what I have seen I have found to be accurately described that way. I mention Korea because that's a nation similarly situated, but can produce better films, despite being a much smaller and less wealthy country.

other user casually lurking this thread here, could you recommend some movies from those directors you listed?

Not even near.

where can i watch or download this?

They are the only ones I have enjoyed. So obviously they did a good job

Don't have one. There's a few real small indie stuff that's coming out of Korea like the recent A Midsummer's Fantasia by Jang Kun-Jae and Our Love Story by Lee Hyun-Ju that's pretty good, but overall the Japanese film industry is healthier, though not really doing great by any means. Probably the country with the best working directors in the world right now is Taiwan with the legends Hou Hsaio-Hsien and Tsai Ming-Liang.

>Seems like a bunch of literally who's whose films I haven't seen
Watch more movies.

Not that guy, but here are essential 21st century Japanese movies, according to me, including the directors you were wondering about.

"Eureka" (Shinji Aoyama, 2000)

"Spirited Away" (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)

"All About Lily Chou-Chou" (Shunji Iwai, 2001)

"Suicide Club" (Sion Sono, 2001)

"Shara" (Naomi Kawase, 2003)

"Hana and Alice" (Shunji Iwai, 2004)

"Nobody Knows" (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2004)

"Mind Game" (Masaaki Yuasa, 2004)

"Noriko's Dinner Table" (Sion Sono, 2005)

"Nanayo" (Naomi Kawase, 2008)

"Love Exposure" (Sion Sono, 2008)

"Tokyo Sonata" (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2008)

"The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" (Isao Takahata, 2013)

"The Wind Rises" (Hayao Miyazaki, 2013)

"Little Forest: Summer/Autumn" (Junichi Mori, 2014)

"Little Forest: Winter/Spring" (Junichi Mori, 2015)

"Journey to the Shore" (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2015)

"A Bride for Rip Van Winkle" (Shunji Iwai, 2016)

What? Those are are all excellent directors. I've seen most modern Korean film and it's pretty much all schlock except for Hong Sang-soo and that one Bong Joon-ho movie "Memories of Murder".

so you're telling me you've never enjoyed a film untill you stumbled acoss that list?

I don't know where to find good movies that aren't on there. Fun unreal Parade of Roses was good though

>Watch more movies.
Why would I watch them if I probably won't like the movies?

"Pulse" by Kiyoshi Kurosawa is an excellent horror film, that I would recommend, and it's also October. By Kawase I would recommend "Suzaku". Aoyama's best film is "Eureka", Sono's is "Love Exposure", Koreeda's is "Maborosi". and my favorite Kitano is "Scene by the Sea" though "Hana-bi" is probably his most critically acclaimed.

>Those are are all excellent directors.
I very much doubt it. The only notable director there died nearly twenty years ago, meaning he's questionably considered a "modern director."

theres another one like this one
a girl who was molested at home gets put into foster care where she is raped by some boys then gets adopted and gets molested by the dad then gets a boyfriend who pimps her out to get raped daily.

Try rutracker.

6/10, as you've gone on for almost a full thread

I've never really seen a movie I would consider depressive.

Some people might consider The Devil, Probably the most depressive.

All of those directors are alive. And if you've never seen them before, then how can you judge? That's silly. You're allowed to have your own taste of course, I've just seen most of all good modern Japanese and Korean film and Japan is better.

Which ones are on the TSPDT list?

>I don't know where to find good movies that aren't on there.
You didnt answer my question. Did you enjoy any movie untill you found that list?

yeah, in russian

When I was a kid sure. But as a teenager not really and all the ones I did like happened to be on it. Its not like there are some I don't care about as much as others but generally these films are the cream of the crop. Its going to take me years before I even watch them.

Try to find english subtitles then. If that fails then try your local library system.

>All of those directors are alive.
Oh. I thought it was Akira Kurosawa, not that living guy. Anyway. I saw Tokyo Sonata, supposedly his best, or one of his best films, it was terrible, but it follows the trend of a film that's basically about nothing, has extremely flat cinematography, even pretentiously having extremely sophomoric dialogue to pretentiously trying to give the film meaning. So if this is the best he can do, I can at least say he's a hack.
>I've just seen most of all good modern Japanese and Korean film and Japan is better.
You've seen most of the films produced by these countries? Why would you ever do that? What an incredibly waste of time.

You can assume I'm b8ing if you want, but if that's the case, you have to admit I would be pretty good at it, as I keep getting serious responses.

I think Tokyo Sonata is a great film. Why would I do that? Because I love movies.

You should watch Threads

>Because I love movies.
Wow, what a trenchant argument. Seriously though, as weak as you might find my reasons for thinking the film sucks, I'm at least referring to my impressions of the film's elements, not my love of the medium.

The two kids they had with them already sure as shit weren't smiling.

I have, it's a very enjoyable and grisly movie but for some reason I connected more with The Road.

No, I was answering why I would watch so many movies. If you're going to call a film "pretentious" then there's no use engaging with you seriously. It has great cinematography too, I love the way Kurosawa moves his cameras.

What film is this?

>but generally these films are the cream of the crop.
I stand by my first statement. You seem incredibly impressionable. You judge films by their placement on a list, not by what you personaly think of them. You sound like a snobby film school student on his first week of film school, namedropping films by french new wave directors and danish dogme directors trying to impress your peers and teachers, while everyone around you are facepalming their face into a pulp from the embarrassment you unawarely are bringing on yourself.

You should spend some time developing a taste, because you are severly lacking one.

How about watching something that isnt on that list?

The amount of desperation the Ford bros had at the end or Jessie's slowly succumbing to his own hit me hard.

All About Lily Chou-Chou. It's deeply nihilistic look at school life in Japan.

>If you're going to call a film "pretentious"
So a film can't be pretentious? It's not like I even said that, but it's like if I said because you call a film schlock, there's no use engaging with you seriously. And no, the cinematography is shit. Just flag angles everywhere, no attempts to add any creative lighting, and just shots of random parts of Tokyo.

Why didn't she just get a job? She claims because she's obligated with school, but she never does schoolwork, and drops out of school soon after. No sympathy from me, at least for the character portrayed in the film. Not sure how accurate it is of the true events.

The flatness is part of Kurosawa's aesthetic and used to interesting effect. No, I don't think pretentious is a critique you can use on art at all. You've never even said what Korean films you like. If you're taking about Park Chan-Wook then I think he's a very poor director that makes poorly edited films with juvenile themes. The only contemporary Korean directors I'm a fan of are Jang Sun-woo and Hong Sang-soo

I would list them in a different order than how they appear therefore I am not judging them by their placement on a list. Besides the job of the list is to name the greatest films of all time, how is it a bad thing to take that seriously. If I am fooling myself into liking them how is it any different than actually enjoying them?

>I find Korean films to be atrocious
Have you seen any Kim ki duk films?

>Stalker, Pans Labyrinth, Seventh Seal, Solaris, In the Mood for Love, No Country for old Men
>Depressioncore

Wut

Zulawski's devil is great too though

Yeah, I have, not a fan of his style at all. The only contemporary Korean film directors I really like are Jang Sun-woo and Hong Sang-soo

>The flatness is part of Kurosawa's aesthetic and used to interesting effect.
No, it's just flatness, and it looks dull as fuck.
>I don't think pretentious is a critique you can use on art at all.
And "schlock" is, lol? How about "juvenile"? Also, I just mentioned Korean films because they're a similarly situated country that doesn't rely on dull, pointless, slice of life films, and an example that shows how pathetic are Japanese films are compared to what they should be based on that country's size and wealth.

I would rate him over any modern Japanese director except for koreada. The best modern Asian directors are coming from the Philippines, Thailand and Iran though

As I have already said I find Korean cinema to be extremely bad over all. What Korean directors do you like? Why do you keep saying "slice-of-life", I wouldn't consider Tokyo Sonata to be slice of life. By juvenile I mean themes that are very facile, are not explored at all, and are just used as a vehicle for meaningless violence or sex.

>many depict sad, brooding characters
>non-happy endings
NCfOM was fine until you realize Moss was getting the wrong side of the coin.

>tfw most of those films literally trigger me just reading their title

Where's Enter the Void?
I cant even listen to Bach anymore for THAT fucking scene
youtube.com/watch?v=5Vny6gGoXW8

I wouldn't, I would put Kurosawa way over him. The Asian countries with the best directors right now are Taiwan and China. I don't care for Lav Diaz much, but I do like Weerasethakul. What contemporary Iranian directors do you like?