>not as realistic as ppl say
>too smart; too dramatic
t. former white gangster that worked w/ black gangs

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Andrews
youtube.com/watch?v=KIP4RRSfCiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XeufB4ocTZw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What sort of business was your gang involved in? How did you get out of it, what made you want to leave?

>What sort of business was your gang involved in?
Drugs
Gambling
"Security"
"Party Planning"
>How did you get out of it,
Jail
And my gang was made of childhood friends who all kind of found themselves in criminality, so we weren't like the crips or mob or angels
In fact, it didn't dawn on me that we were legit organized criminal gangsters until the charges were read
>what made you want to leave?
Jail
Got a trade now, make good money with no pressure or risk.

Congrats on getting out, keep it that way. In terms of the show being "too smart, too dramatic", you mean that the characters are too smart/insightful?

>you mean that the characters are too smart/insightful?
Let me say this, it's the most realistic depiction of cops and criminals I've ever witnessed
However, ppl made it out as if this IS real life.
No.
There are no Omars. He's so obviously a poetic rendition of a character it'd be rediculous to think there's any one close to him IRL. Stick-up men, sure, Omars, no.
The organizations were way too tight.
I'm guessing the showrunners took every smart idea they've ever seen on the streets and made it out like every gang abides by those standards, they don't, that's why American prisons are overcrowding before they get built. And it ain't the FBI throwing them in there, it's local cops who barely give a shit, so ya know there ain't many Stringer Bells running around.
I love how they showed the cops though, from my experience with cops they basically got that right.
The dialogue, while street, is too thoughtful, and too intelligent for uneducated low lives, they're too analytical and considerate and careful. While this is standard fair for dramas, I was made to believe it was "more realistic" than I saw
The details were all fucked, like Omar turning his back on the crew in the house and them not taking a shot, that scenario would never happen IRL, it's for dramas sake, again, nothing wrong with that in itself.
IMO they got the macroverse right though. The themes hold very true. The big picture stuff about systemic violence and the cycles etc is right on
Oh and season 5 they went off the rails. The cop making a serial killer? I mean that's fun, but it's Dexter-tier

>>too smart; too dramatic

well what else were you expecting? of course they had to spice it up, irl gang activity is quite fucking boring (sell drugs, party, sell more drugs, stints in jail, play vidya)......they had to dramatize the crap out of it

and fyi, a lot of the situations and characters came from real life. the creator of the show is an ex detective from baltimore irrc, so he got a lot of ideas from the cases he worked on

>There are no Omars. He's so obviously a poetic rendition of a character it'd be rediculous to think there's any one close to him IRL.

Omar is actually based on a real criminal

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Andrews

yeah, most people have similar gripes about season 5 and thought that the reporter stuff was boring too.

liking omar is plebfilter for the exact reasons you said. he's a character that doesn't fit in the environment in a show that seemed to be overly meticulous about the environment otherwise. him and brother mouzone always bother me.

>>too smart
this is the biggest problem, everyone is profound

>brother mouzone
>doesn't know who the NOI is

>Omar is actually based on a real criminal
I know
And that's a perfect analogy for the show
Compare Donnie IRL to Omar and that's basically real life to The Wire
Amazing show though, right up there for my all time fave
Will prob give another watch in a few months

It's a show Reddit crowd watches to feel hood and street wise

>I'm guessing the showrunners took every smart idea they've ever seen on the streets and made it out like every gang abides by those standards
They pretty much had to for dramatic purposes. It's like in medical shows where they show diseases progressing far faster and far more severely than they would in real life. It would be boring to watch doctors and nurses reading and charting vital signs for three days before the patient starts bleeding out the eyeballs. If the cops just repeatedly rolled on a bunch of low lives it wouldn't be very interesting.

Supposedly Omar is based on a real life stick-up artist, but for sure he's a highly stylized interpretation. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with season 5. The news angle was actually pretty interesting, but the entire premise felt really out of place. If McNulty and Freamon wanted money for their investigation, they should have shown the cops fudging numbers, to show an increase in crime, to get more money. It would fit with the rest of the show much better.

Oh and one more thing
BLACKS ARE SNITCHES
Three niggers from three different gangs snitched on my crew
They fuckin snitch so fuckin easily
The only ones that ain't snitching are the high ups and the muscle who will go away for life because of snitches
Otherwise, the street code is basically a myth

not him, and I know what the NOI is, and I don't hate brother Mouzone but I still agree, he always felt kinda out of place and a bit over the top

season 2 its the goat btw

Idris. Elba.

Can you describe how it is to work with black gangs?

it's one of the worst shows I've ever seen. S2 and S3 were good though. I remember Sup Forums constantly talking about it in 2012 or so. I tried to convince myself that it was good. what an idiot I was.

David Simon is a hack that should stick to the dying industry of printed local journalism. No one gives a shit about city hall or local police departments or local niggers "in da struggle". Literally the most banal premise imaginable.

>They pretty much had to for dramatic purposes
I know
I went to film school before getting arrested. Studied screenwriting
And when ppl would tell me about the show, I'd tell them it can't be as real as they're saying it is because, well, it's a fuckin TV show, the medium is limited by time and expectation to be entertaining and have dramatic climax's etc.
They insisted that this is the one. This is the show that finally showed how things really are.
Nah.

>season 2 is the goat btw

Goddamn right

>Can you describe how it is to work with black gangs?
I worked with street level guys when we were smaller. Buying hard drugs in small amounts.
Then, found they were lacking in weed, which we had in abundance, so started trading wholesale with the midlevel guys
And then when larger quantities and money began to be exchanged we met with the higher ups and worked out something where we could work together without either of us seeing each other (degrees of separation)
That was the most Wire-like gang, we also did random dealings with smaller gangs around the city and region
The only difference is blacks are USUALLY less organized, like the crips and the bloods aren't an organization, they're just a brand, really, and any random group of black kids can become them and run their own ship without any central oversight or connections.
And because the organization is smaller, they're more unpredictable, more jumpy and blacks and whites just naturally feel jumpy dealing with eachother
But once every one knows every one else and everything is running smooth it's smiles, handshakes and "good to see ya" all around, it's in everyones best interests to get along, ya know, and ya really want the meetings to go as quick as possible, everyone does
So yeah, dealing with the nigs we dealt with wasn't bad, but being in a black gang can be really rough, I wouldn't wanna be in a gang like that or associate with them on my own time

Some big black guy said he could jump me in at a psych hospital . What did he mean by this?

>What did he mean by this?
Well I'm assuming he meant him and his friends could lay a stomping on ya, but niggers may use "jump" as both plural and singular, I don't know, so maybe he meant he could beat ya one on one lol
>psych hospital
If he was in psychosis I wouldn't worry about it

The thing about niggers is, they talk tough. They'll ALWAYS tell you they're coming at you if they're coming at you, because they're prideful and don't think strategically (another beef with the show, Chris Partlow was way too strategic at points) but, MOST of the time they talk shit they're doing just that, talking shit, and back down real easy if ya standup to them.
Blacks aren't used to whites standing up to them so if ya do they assume you're nuts and most of the time want nothing to do with you.
So it's hard to tell if ya should take the threat lightly or not/

He made it sound like jumping in was me getting ass beat to become a blood

>He made it sound like jumping in was me getting ass beat to become a blood
Jumpin in
I thought you meant he said he'd jump you while you were both in the hospital
But yeah Jumping In is a common gang initiation ritual. A group of members punch and kick you, jump you, usually for a 3 count, and then you's a blood 4 life
Funny thing, my gang officially started when we were ten, and we initiated members at Elementary school by jumping them in, and we had absolutely no awareness that this was a common ritual of street gangs
So when the school staff heard about it, we all got suspended, they came down hard as fuck, got police involved and everything, and it took me a few years to realize they freaked because their were nigger-tier street gangs forming right in their nice middle class white school lol

lol thats funny but not that odd its sort of a rite of passage thats been around for a long time I imagine. I told him I didn't want that mark on me. Plus Im in Houston so black gangs are very irrelevant from what I've heard.

thanks for sharing this stuff op, pretty interesting

>I told him I didn't want that mark on me
Good move.
But in reality, the "4 life" thing really means "as long as you're young and/or relevant"
If a gangbanger wants to go work at Wal-Mart there's a young pup right there ready to take his place.
It's no big deal to leave.
The only time it's an issue is if you wanna leave the gang but still roll in the hood, that ain't happening unless you're flying the gangs colors

>too smart
No shit. Niggers have an average IQ of 85.

>No shit. Niggers have an average IQ of 85.
Yeah
See, the biggest thing the blacks have going for their organizations is they're usually located in low end areas where the crime is basically pushed and law enforcement minimal
You can very easily get away with sloppy work when no one is watching you
However, in Baltimore it's like 65% black, so maybe the black gangs there need to be smarter to evade detection
But there's also so much crime and so few police that just a small amount of organization may keep you under the radar for logistically reasons alone, unless you're dropping bodies, which I guess is common in Bmore
Oh that's another beef, the Baltimore co-op, LAUGHABLE
That's David Simons wet dream of what he wishes the niggers would get together and do
It's rare for the Italians to run shit that smooth let alone the niggers with no values or tradition

The wire is entry level hoodrat
The corner was the superior hoodrat drama

You're welcome
Wanna know my favorite line from the show?
It's when Omar is on the stand at Birds trial
No, not when he makes the crack about the lawyer being a thug, although that's classic
It's when Stringer says to McNutly, "Word on the street is Omar was stickin up some east side niggas when the shit with bird went down," and McNutly leans in and says "Well, we're not in the street. We're in a court of law."
BTFO
He's saying "the truth matters in your world (the street), the truth doesn't matter in my world (courts/government/business/bureaucracies)
I thought that was very profound and insightful, especially since I don't believe McNulty meant it like that.

SHEEEEETTTYTTTT MANNN, WE WUZ PAWNS ALL ALONG.

I would say it's pretty accurate for West Baltimore. I used to have to go there for work, and it's nothing but blacks slinging dope and junkies.

>it's nothing but blacks slinging dope and junkies.
That's sad man.
Any hope in sight?

maybe a good plague will roll through

sure thought guy

Of course it's not accurate, because if it was regular people couldn't even tell what the fuck is going on. You want to see real hood blacks talk about dealing drugs in Baltimore check this out. Stop Snitchin, bunch of dealers on a DVD that was popular in Baltimore.
youtube.com/watch?v=KIP4RRSfCiQ

As you can see, it doesn't have the same level of drama as The Wire, and most people won't understand what the fuck they are even saying.

No. These are the types of houses we had to go into. Just google West Baltimore or abandoned houses Baltimore and you'll see. Entire neighborhoods like this, with a few that people live in. Black guys standing on their stoops openly dealing heroin to ratty looking people, nomfucks given. You can see multiple hand offs as you drive by.

>As you can see,
Jesus Christ I'm having flashbacks lol
Got anything like this from Chiraq?

It's pretty much a given. No TV show is going to be realistic.
Poetic license is like the first or second thing they teach you when writing stories.

see >Poetic license is like the first or second thing they teach you when writing stories.
Did/do you write as well?

I got bored at work after a wire binge and took a google street tour of the shit parts of BWI.

Tons of vacants, you're right. Rows of them.

I feel sorry for the kids growing up there.
Great outlet if you're a lil sociopath but not for much else it seems.
But it's not like, families living there, right? They're mainly vacants? And it's mainly junkies going there specifically for drugs, correct?
I'm trying to look at a mostly black American city as kindly as I can here lol

Also, funny story, I dated a cute lil white girl from Bmore the summer I was 12yo
I had no idea it was such a shithole because she spoke so fondly of it
But if she was vacationing where I live she was upper middle class at least

check out boston beatdown if you like those style of videos.
SPOILER ALERT: they're white.
youtube.com/watch?v=XeufB4ocTZw

I used to date a girl who lived in ann arundel and even that place was a shithole