At what point did his work start to decline?

At what point did his work start to decline?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DFuqI4j-9h4
youtube.com/watch?v=RpajFQECzAk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

when he started apologizing for his previous work

Is stan going to take his soul

The Baba Yaga has it kept safe. So no.

November 22, 1963

I really liked providence.

SOON

This. The Nemo trilogy was great, too.

>I am not reading Providence

About the same time that his mental stability began to decline.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2.

Dumb niggas who think Neonomicon was somehow worse or less inspired than Moore's more generic Future Shocks when he was just starting out, or who think Century was actually a bad book, can point to a specific point where Moore declines. Anyone reading him over a long period will know he still hasn't.

I think Moore is a whiny old man a lot of the time but in terms of actually writing comics I think he's the GOAT. I dunno who you point to that's better.

>or who think Century was actually a bad book
>think

After 1989.

It didn't start to turn to complete shit though until around 2006 or so.

Yes. It's not.

It's a directionless heap of shit that exists as a vehicle for Moore's shallow critique of modern culture.

You've read the other LoEG comics?

When pen first hit paper.
BOOM
>sick burn

it's a quaint little city.
comic sucks though

How does it suck?

The end of Century felt like a hollow end to the League's story, basically capping off a hundred-year tale with a dick joke, but I don't think it was ever indicative of some decline on Moore's part. Maybe he's just more at home in older settings, or something.

who responds to a shitpost?

As with any thread, we can make a decision to have an actual discussion about comics or we can shitpost.

I'm sure plenty of people think Providence sucks. IT might be fun/interesting to talk about why.

The first two actually had something that resembled a coherent story structure.

Sorry, dad. I'll go back to my cape threads.

There is a certain pretentious quality that began pervading much of his work as his star rose ever higher, or so seems to me. However, that may be attributed to the fact that he more and more vocally inserted his distinctive political and social viewpoints in order to provide fairly shallow commentary, to a point where it was distracting from the actual substantive content. Whatever the case may be, I think that there came a point where his arrogance filtered into his work and became distracting; probably in the late 80s, early 90s, when he left DC.

That being said, he wrote a number of perfectly serviceable, very-straightforward superhero stories for Lee and Liefeld at Image that were not pretentious at all. However, much of the time it felt like he was trying too hard to ape the comics of yesteryear, while not providing a successfully interesting new take of his own.

I don't feel Century particularly has less of one than they do. I mean, does the first book of Halo Jones lack a coherent story structure? I think they might lack defined objectives - the characters have more of a sense of ennui - but that isn't the same as story structure.

You use a lot of meaningless or 'pass' words in your post right? Words that let you pass over having to make an explanation.

Like it's directionless - why is it directionless? It definitely proceeds towards a conclusion.

It's a heap of shit - why is it a heap of shit? It's hard to make this comment effectively about any comic, unless you can prove it doesn't accomplish what it sets out to. I think that's about the only metric when you're talking about something that isn't literally unreadable.

It exists as a vehicle - isn't that pretty much everything? Is that really different from the other LoEG books? What makes Century too blatantly a vehicle in comparison to them? Why is Moore apparently having fun/a story in the other books but *too much* making a critique in Century? This really goes for your whole point that the aim of the book is to make a shallow critique of modern culture. And...

Moore's critique is shallow. Why is it shallow?

At the very minimum I think the extent that Century deals with Mina's character progression and ongoing reaction to immortality is enough to throw down all of your statement, because that's something the book does decently that isn't any of those things.

I do kind of agree with overall. The conclusion is a bit shallow and I think Century is ultimately a lot more important to its three stars than to the League as a whole.

I just want to talk, son.

>Moore's critique is shallow. Why is it shallow?
It preaches the idea that culture has somehow declined without actually saying anything meaningful as to why that's the case. Of all things he uses locations from the Harry Potter franchise as the site where Mina and Orlando spout off a ham-fisted tract, despite the fact that he very obviously put no effort into studying the franchise. He has to go out of his way to twist the character of Harry Potter into an unrecognizable serial killer and rapist to make his message work. If the man can't be assed to study the thing he's critiquing, why on Earth should I care one bit for his message?

I'm feeling doubt at this point that you really have read other LoEG stuff like the Black Dossier. Moore isn't exactly 100% loyal to most of the references he taps for the series.

Most of the other fiction Moore references in LoEG isn't depicted with the same scorn as the Harry Potter franchise is. About the only one that comes to mind is 007. And there's a difference between deviating from canon and creating a shallow strawman.

If dubs then he won't make it to 2017.

Looks like Alan is still powerful. Long may he grump.

You'll never get me, Stan.

at the exact moment Grant Morrison showed up and raised the bar

I don't recall the Harry antichrist being a rapist. Are you sure you didn't just imagine that?

But he started his best work in 1989.

Nah, Stan's death is set for next year.

He isn't alright nor fine.

Nope. Never.

Moore is a magician and prolly set a "in case of near death chant this mantra" while Stan is doom to die at any moment notice.

2017 can't come SOON.

It's implied he did more than just kill people in the Hogwarts massacre.

Mfw Araki kill Stan and drain him dry of his blood
Mfw Moore seek revenge on Araki and try to get him kill via magic
VAMPYRE VS MAGICIAN 2017.

Get ready.

Deaths are inbound and inevitable.

When he stopped working for Based DC. That fucking ingrate owes his entire career to them and he spit in their faces.

I'd say sometime after first League. The other League stories are IMO heavy on the overthinking and his other stuff on the mostly unsuccessful experimentation. In not saying it's bad, just not up to his standard.
And then he makes the overthinking work with Providence and the experimentation hits the bullseye, fuck but that's good.

While I enjoy the atmoshphere of Providence, but 70% of the issues are just plain conversations between people, drawn from different angles, then you get 5-10 pages of diary excerpts.
Providence should have been a short story or a novel, not a comic, but Moore shomehow still clings to the medium.

This post legitimately triggers me.

>read based 1963
>now I hate Stan Lee even more

>read what happened in the end with the book
P
O
T
T
E
R
Y

Alan Moore is a gateway comic writer of the worst kind. He's a bad creator, a clusterfuck of writing and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive rape and DARKNESS. The normal user can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy him, hate him or be indifferent to him, but all the while recognizing that the author itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.
However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superedgy characters all trying their hardest to look cynical, the murders, peculiar, black clothes, the whole magic faggotry and everything about the Alan Moore world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the edgy character backgrounds, emphasis on revenge, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.
Alan Moore is basically THE comic books writer to attract the most hated comics fanbase known to Sup Forums, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every user to troll the fuck out of this show and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Alan Moore threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.

LoEG volume 2.

Somewhere after either Supreme or the first two volumes of LOEG. Although the first arcs were rather okay, I think they were far better than what came later.

On the other hand, Providence is really good and makes up for the mediocre show that was the Century trilogy and Neonomicon.

Faggot.

>Why is some lonely old man who ended up in an industry he doesn't like anymore and spends all his time alone in his house smoking weed and likely has a warped perception of time via onset senility and isolation not as good a writer as he once was

Geee I wonder

Black Dossier for me. Its when he started getting really self masturbatory. That being said, he does still make good work. The Nemo Trilogy for instance is probably my favorite in the LXG, probably tied with volume 2

>ctrl+F santa, no results

I'll let you know when that happens.

These two clips of Moore talking about Providence from when he started developing the idea to when it was finally coming out kinda make clear how much he ended up developing a real story

youtube.com/watch?v=DFuqI4j-9h4
youtube.com/watch?v=RpajFQECzAk

Moore would magic himself out of the situation.

I am increasingly alarmed that a pasticher and ran fiction writer is held on such high esteem. He may be a good pasticher, the best ever, even, but even so, he has spent his entire career standing on the shoulders of better creators.
I'm not into cover bands.

>better creators
Who in comics?
>increasingly alarmed
Holy shit you sound like such a faggot.

I guess he had some rough spots in the 00s? everytime i read a moore book i'm amazed even going in with high expectations

I find nuts because how do you read like Providence #5-#6, Providence #7, Providence #4, Providence #11 and what you take out of it is that the words and the pictures do not support each other and it should be a prose book?

Because Moore is actually the bare minimum, right? He's great in the field but actually just that consideration of writing and art so that the words elevate the pictures, the pictures elevate the words and the whole thing functions together - Moore having regards to that is what you would expect from every comic writer, but a great deal of them tend to reduce it to camera angles and nothing else (Moore is also fond of certain cinematic shots ofc).

>who in comics?
Really?
Kirby and Ditko to start.
And he's still just a pasticher. You don't even get 1963 without stooping to pastiching Stan Lee.
Lol.
You're the faggot user.

Moore's scripts are the best

I find that nuts too.
Not only that it should be prose (I can easily imagine it being prose, and the journals are essentially a rewritten/expanded version of the Haunter of the Dark) but that the art isn't great.

It finally captures the sense of isolation and claustrophobia that they had experimented with in Neonomicon, with actual coloring that highlights the mood and uncanny atmosphere.

Why such scorn for Harry Potter?

Have you only read Watchmen? Even if you had only read Watchmen, I'd still love to read your analysis of how nothing Moore introduces in Watchmen is his own and the whole thing is a pastiche of Ditko and Kirby.

I am not sure you know what pastiche means.

I read a thing that explained it and made sense but it still always comes across as "get off my lawn" to me.

tho I'm a fucking dyed in the wool harry potter fanboy so I got that baggage.

With V for Vendetta

i'm really interested in what from kirby got put in watchmen myself

Could you find a link for it?

I like how the artist edit them. I don't remember who, Gibbons/Lloyd/Campbell would just blacken most of the description.

Century starts off with Maugham's The Magician IIRC. If you just wanted to track popular occultism from 1908 through to 2009 Harry Potter is where you end up. All the evil baggage and foul shit is largely excised from Harry Potter, but Moore started off with that and I think he just considered what it would be like if it was still there. How else was he supposed to get rid of it?

The Harry Potter antichrist in Century is largely just Harry Potter *not* keeping the evil of the outside, real world from the content of the book.

I sure hope that user never encounters Tom Scioli.

nah I have no idea where i read it, this was years ago

I know Gibbons did for Watchmen

>About the only one that comes to mind is 007.

And that one he's had a negative outlook toward since at least 1986, as seen in his intro to Miller's DKR (which used to be in the 80's printings of the TPB)

When the dementia kicked in

What makes you think I'm even talkng about Watchman, user?
However, nevermind that, I apologize for shitposting in your Moore thread, I have read almost all his stuff, and most of th stuff he draws from, I just don't like his work any more, I would vastly prefer to read 100 issues of Lee ASM than one eight page Moore story, but I don't need to be a cock about it.
Happy Christmas.

>What makes you think I'm even talkng about Watchman, user?
I guess the fact that's the easiest piece of Moore work to parallel to Ditko. Like I don't see how "Man Reversible The" or "Halo Jones" or whatever can honestly be called a Ditko or Kirby pastiche.

I would much rather you actually argued out your point rather than left the thread with a holiday message. That's what this thread is for, it's not shitposting unless you make a shit quality post - like you just did.

After Tom Strong desu.

It didn't, he just got sick of the Big Two's shenanigans and started doing weirder stuff. Plus a lot of his time in the past decade or so has been spent working on Jerusalem, which is excellent.

>Watchmen is the easiest to parralel to Ditko
That's full retard, son.
1963 is a straight up Lee/Kirby/Ditko pastiche- right down to certan scenes lifted almost directly from ASM and FF.

Is Watchmen all YOU have read, user?

When he stopped working for Based DC. That fucking ingrate owes his entire career to them and he spit in their faces.

Why did you post this twice? And it's not so much DC that was based as Karen Berger specifically, when it comes to Moore and the other British Invasion writers

You should check out the Nemo trilogy as well. It's a return to form as far as the League books go.

>Anti pollution domes

So, the domes weren't supposed to shield the cities from meteors initialy

Well, Fungi is a form of pollution.

But I don't think it'd be outside the realm of reason that Moore didn't think up the Fungi connection until later.

When he began to do more interviews than written work