So who did this site went from being the center for internet animator to a mere footnote in internet history?

So who did this site went from being the center for internet animator to a mere footnote in internet history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LHEtbNMNvh8
youtube.com/watch?v=QlJfr_YuCuE
youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA
newgrounds.com/portal/view/686273
buzzedgames.com/apples-in-the-tree-game.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube
steam/mobile games/other browser games

Looks like Youtube fucked over many other sites.

Yeah, probably mostly Youtube, but also the advent of html5 and possibly also the fact that they tried to downplay the adult side of the community

Anyone still remember Joe Zombie?

Recently went on it to find a Pokemon remix from 2008 I used to listen.
God, give that time back.

Flash is limited when making videos. Yeah it great for animation, but that's really it.

Animation went from being the forefront of internet culture to it being the irrelevant part. Remember that resurgence of flash about four years ago? It failed miserably after a year.
It's too expensive and time consuming when someone can act out a skit, play a video game, or just talk about nothing.

I blame the normies wanting instant constant, the jokes now and more now.

YouTube and steam

a massive normiefication of the internet happened in 2007, for some reason, it was around that time when the internet's population shifted from lonely weird people, to normal people with social lives.

I'm still mad that it's never going to be finished.

YouTube was just an enabler
What killed flash was just gradual increase in internet bandwidth. Even standard definition video was too cumbersome to be streamed in the late 90s-early 00s.

Video has always been more popular than animation. Once video was viable online of course it was going to steamroll flash.

If Newgrounds wanted to stay alive it should have invested its profit into video streaming back in 2005. They did eventually, like 10 years late

>users in general forum around peak hours 10 years ago ~100+

>users in general forum around peak hours today ~15+

It ded, 14 year olds have to find other communities to talk about puberty and being a middle school social outcast, like reddit

aren't most 14 years old on Youtube anyway?

Everyone on NG thought >10MB flash animations would live forever and didn't update the site until most of their community fucked off to better websites.

To add fuel to the flames, the mods are taking down a bunch of old animations that contained copyrighted music. They're offering audioswap alternatives, but most of the original animators are long gone so we're probably never seeing those flashes again.

How long has it been? 10 years? Gosh

i will always be mad

The problem is that YouTube was more profitable. Ask any animator from Newgrounds in its heyday and they'll say how much more profitable the switch was. Even now, with how shitty YouTube has treated the field, the animations still make more profit from YouTube than anywhere.

The biggest issue is that Tom Fulp is really bad at the branding. He could have made Newgrounds hella popular and profitable for animation but the adult aspect sticking around and the lack of foresight pretty much brought the site to a severe drop in population.

Couple that with how much easier it is to operate from social networks as well as YouTube pretty much advertising for you and it was pretty clear what would happen.

Essentially Newgrounds didn't adapt.

Sauce?

youtube.com/watch?v=LHEtbNMNvh8

This just in!
youtube.com/watch?v=QlJfr_YuCuE

Krinkels just released a new video: "ROMP.FLA'

Discuss

I'm of the opinion that newgrounds edginess simply transferred over to Sup Forums.

Thats the sad truth of it all. Not adapting.

>DA is still kicking.
>Sheezy and other furry shit still lives.
>Fb20xl was doing ok until its webmaster turned out to be a colossal piece of shit pedo
>youtube adapted
>myspace got rekt by facebook

Alot of channers did come from Newgrounds. Hell, some of its animators could be here right now shitposting.

>clock crew

holy shit, it's real

been 4 years, I think he is still busy on making project nexus 2

Newgrounds was always a somewhat risque place where teens and young adults could hang out and act stupid. It was fun for what it was, but it's very nature guaranteed it would never break into the "mainstream". Plus all the other things everyone above me has mentioned.

I think that Krinkles is one of the few Newgrounders who didn't just jump ship to Youtube and abandon the place that gave him his legacy.

So how significant is this lore wise?

its funny and sad watching older movies and people are using Myspace when it was super popular

what even is it now? i'm surprised it isn't dead already, even when FB launched for normies.

god, remember when FB needed a fucking college email to use?

not at all

it ain't canon

surprised anyone cares enough about Madness Lore

The "normiefication" of the internet happened in the 90s with more and more households getting AOL.

i blame those 5000 free hours of AOL discs...

Not really. It might have been in households in the 90's but it was still only nerdy people being on the internet all day. Regular Joes didn't start using it constantly until 10 years ago when WEB 2.0 started to emerge.

>many old flashes are being removed because of copyrighted music
>pieces of internet history are being lost forever
fuck

Madness lore is interesting because Krinkles clearly put a lot of thought into it despite how he's probably the only one who really cares about the lore at all.

A lot of internet flash history was already lost when Newgrounds converted the vast majority of flash animations hosted on their site to use their videoplayer. Pretty much all those interactive easter eggs or preload minigames have been lost forever.

>we could have lived in a time where moot, niel cieraga, tom fulp, stamper, and so on forgotten internet people were still around and the internet was still free and tied together with cryptoanarchism and pirate culture
>instead we live in the bad megacorp timelime

Newgrounds still has good stuff. You Become What You Behold gave me chills.

who /meetnfuck/ here

this

i remember a time when we still used BBS and newsgroups

when you NEEDED to know an IP address to join FPS servers

fuck this whorld

>>many old flashes are being removed because of copyrighted music
so that's what happened to Apples in the Tree
I'm depressed now because I'll never finish it now.

>"I've read the Wikipedia page for Endless September! I'm an expert now!"
No. Pretty much what this guy said:
There was a long-ass amount of time between "nerds now have access to the internet in their households" to "everyone is addicted to social media". You were probably not around in the 90s, but during that time computers had only begun their transition from something only turbonerds knew how to handle into something everyone is expected to, which wouldn't fully happen until the early-to-mid 2000s.

youtube monetization being mandatory for anything that was meant to make money that was a vid

however i have noticed some vids have more views on newgrounds vs youtube and youtube forces you share money with ip holders where as newgrounds does not so some content creators are less than thrilled to even put a bid on youtube including 1 notable one from newgrounds

1 vid of many that has fewer views on youtbe

youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA

>Apples in the Tree
F
I really liked that flash.

Sort of like when Geocities vanished.

>Newgrounds still has good stuff.
just checked and found this beauty
newgrounds.com/portal/view/686273

Only 5k views too.

>Endless September
Really not what I was talking about, but okay.

>newgrounds.com/portal/view/686273
kek

>My husband caught me in bed with his best friend!

Which one, Sup Forums?

Wow, so you hadn't even read about Endless September. Yes, that is exactly what you were talking about.

>Newgrounds still has good stuff.

I LOVE YOU.MY SWEET BROTHER, MY FORGIVING HOST

FUCK AND EAT YOU CUNT SHITPIG

the second, obviously

The good thing about flash games is that they normally end up on other sites that are not newgrounds.
buzzedgames.com/apples-in-the-tree-game.html

blame Portal.

I wasn't talking about Usenet, though.

God bless piracy! And thanks a lot, user.

>The biggest issue is that Tom Fulp is really bad at the branding.
I wish he opened a offical newgrounds youtube channel and does what hyuns dojo does. It would have kept them relevant and maybe they could have even gotten sponserships