Oscar Nominees

We can assume at least two foreign films (aka Chinese fuckin' things) will be nominated, so that means one of these will be snubbed. Which do you think it will be?

Other urls found in this thread:

japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGLOMpInuYU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're not going to nominate two disney in-house films, and did people actually see Moana? It didn't make much money, and that translates to less sales.

Probably Kubo.

As much I think Pixar deserves to be snubbed this year, it'll probably be Moana but it'll pick up a nod in the Best Song category as a concession prize

Definitely Kubo. But Zootopia would probably end up winning due to it being pure furry bait.

Finding Dory. Sequels don't frequently make it to the nomination list. I think the only ones that have so far is Toy Story 3, Shrek 2, Despicable Me 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, and How to Train Your Dragon 2. And when you consider how many fucking sequels have come out in 15+ years, that's a pretty small amount.

Monsters University got cut so I don't see why not Dory, too.

Kubo, easy.

Hoping for Zootopia or Kubo. But it will probably be something like norm if the north

They don't win but all three of Laika's films so far have been nominated. So the Academy thinks highly of them but not enough to actually pick them over another film. So Kubo is probably safe.

And I don't see two foreign films making it this year; I think one of these films will be snubbed but it'll probably be for Secret Life of Pets instead, which has pretty good chances of winning really.

This, the guys who handle the nominations don't like sequels and shit.

Wait, was Kubo actually good? I saw Zootopia 3 times, but is Kubo actually better than Zootopia? Cause I think Zootopia is going to win hands down. And if that's not the case, then I missed out on a damn good movie

Wow, Despicable Me 2 seems REALLY out of place with those other titles.

The last act was a bit weak but otherwise yeah, Kubo was great.

Kubo's beautiful, and there's some really touching elements, but the story kind of collapses in the last third. It ends more on a sigh than a bang.

It's good overall, but I don't think it's better than Zootopia.

Of course, I want Your Name to win, or at least to just get nominated.

I enjoyed it, I gave a detailed plot synopsis of it to a friend and was pretty surprised by just how horrifying the story is in retrospect.

if kubo and the two strings doesn't win, I'm just going to need one rope.

>implying the Academy even watches the movies and doesn't just vote for whatever they heard of the most

Kubo has a 0% chance

>Of course, I want Your Name to win, or at least to just get nominated.
but the creator came out begging for it not to be nominated.
japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGLOMpInuYU

Obviously Furrytopia will win and Moana will get the Best Song.

do you not understand how the oscars work? The electorate is heavily stacked with ex-pixar and disney people. So it goes something like this every year:
>if there's a pixar film give it to them
>if there's no pixar film give it to the disney one

>2015 - inside out
>2014 - big hero 6
>2013 - frozen
>2012 - fucking brave
>2011 - Rango (no disney or pixar films nominated)
>2010 - Toy Story 3
>2009 - Up
>2008 - WALL-E
>2007 - Ratatouille
>2006 - Happy Feet
>2005 - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (no disney or pixar films nominated)
>2004 - the incredibles
>2003 - finding nemo
>2002 - Spirited Away (Lilo & Stitch actually lost)
>2001 - Shrek
and that's as far back as it goes, the best animated feature category was invented in 2001 basically just so they could give an oscar to Shrek. It's become such a fucking joke though, they really need to get rid of it imo.

>Watched Zootopia 3 times
>Didn't watch Kubo once

>and that's as far back as it goes, the best animated feature category was invented in 2001 basically just so they could give an oscar to Shrek. It's become such a fucking joke though, they really need to get rid of it imo.

I thought it was a late response to the close campaign to get Beauty and the Beast a Best Picture nom.

>(Lilo & Stitch actually lost)
Good

I'd say

> Moana doesn't get in, it gets best original song (because Bowie tribute + Lin Miranda)
> Dory doesn't get in

MIght as well get it, you are in for disappointment if you are expecting it to win.

Animation at the oscars is a complete fucking joke.

Yeah, I always thought this too. Was it invented in 01 specifically to prevent Shrek from pulling a BatB?

>thinking a movie from the beginning of the year will be nominated.

my sweet, sweet summer children.

Finding Dory should be but it won't it will probably win since no one who votes for these actually cares or knows anything about animated movies

Didn't Brave win over Wreck- It Ralph the year they came out? People just blindly vote for Pixar though

>Didn't Brave win over Wreck- It Ralph the year they came out
yais

Gotta appreciate the man's humility, but this was one of the few films that didn't degrade in my memory after my first viewing (quality-wise). I say it deserves an Oscar a lot more than some of the other past winners have (BH6 comes to mind).

>So the Academy thinks highly of them
Got some of the leaked voter testimonies right here.
>Voter 1: The fuck is this stuopid fuckn kid shit
>Voter 2: Fuck it I pick this one, my kid saw it and said it was gud
>Voter 3: The fuck watches cartoons fuck off, alright I pick Disney

I guess being in Japan he doesn't know just how worthless the Oscars really means.
He can still win it and not be Miyazaki 2.0

Why does anyone here give a shit?

It's still an award that treats animation as a genre rather than a medium and the people who vote for what wins it are almost guaranteed to not have even watched all nominations if any of them.

It's probably the most bullshit award they can give out.

sorry furfags no sequel for you