Press [F] to pay respects to the guy who wrote watership down

google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/27/richard-adams-obituary

My his horror scar children for years to come

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6hF_ncJFOa0
youtube.com/watch?v=cGyQmH9NZcw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>rated as suitable for children.
>monstrously violent, gory and disturbing.
>"PISS OFF!"

[F]

Also fuck that movie

F

F
the plague dogs will always be one of my favorite movies

F

F

movie is great but all kinds of fucked up

>kids movie
The MPAA were high as fuck that day

>Stan lee is now double dipping on the same day
But seriously I really enjoyed plague dogs, The ending still makes me think.
F

F

I might go re-read Shardik now.

He has going to join the Great Rabbit in the Sky.

Despite the horror, the movie was pretty damn good
Great art and I loved how the rabbits have their own culture and religion , made it harder when they violent die

WHY WON'T THIS FUCKING YEAR END ALREADY!?

[F] to the great troll of all time

People actually liked this movie? It was boring as fuck.

>boring
pleb

>All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

So many great lines in that movie/book:

>General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him.

>Many human beings say that they enjoy the winter, but what they really enjoy is feeling proof against it.

>You know how you let yourself think that everything will be all right if you can only get to a certain place or do a certain thing. But when you get there you find it's not that simple.

>We do not take moonlight for granted. It is like snow, or like dew on a July morning. It does not reveal but changes what it covers.

Like The Once and Future King there are many parts of that book intended for children which never cease to have meaning as adults.

F

It's not even one of the better adult western animated movies.

>boring
pleb

F

The PG-13 rating didn't exist back then and it really wasn't so severe to deserve an R.

This

F

Let this year end already, no more.

My favourite is
>But I have learned that with creatures one loves, suffering is not the only thing for which one may pity them. A rabbit who does not know when a gift has made him safe is poorer than a slug, even though he may think otherwise himself.

I didn't know it the first time I read the book, but Adams had witnessed WWII and the sacrifices that people made back then. That line hit me hard later when I re-read the book.

Another of my favorites is the plea of El-ahrairah and the answer that's given. It was a pretty neat idea to give that line to Hazel in the movie:
youtube.com/watch?v=6hF_ncJFOa0

WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS YEAR?
STOP IT STOP STOP IT NOW JUST STOP IT JUST STOP IT STOP IT NOW JUST STOP NOW

Stan lee has been stealing souls like mad this last week
Mabey his end is close and he needs extra power?

I'm the guy who had to watch this movie as an Easter tradition against my will as a child

F

Thanks for the rabbit trauma, Richard, I liked your shit

F

I thought we were done with the everything dying shit, why it doesnt stop?

[F]arewell.

F

The thing about Watership Down, both the book and the movie, is that they have a happy ending. A thriving new warren, secure on a hill. Then Hazel wanders off away from the warren to die alone of old age. Because this is Watership Down, and happily ever after still includes death.

FUCK YOU STAN! JUST FUCK YOU!

[F]

It's british. MPAA couldn't touch it. I remember looking for the rating on the box at blockbuster about the hundredth time I went to go rent it, and it said "this film is not rated."

What's going on with this year?

F
absolutely loved this movie as a kid

>Be 7
>Mom picks up a cute movie about rabbits
>thehorror.jpg
>Mom sitting in the kitchen, reading
>Dad comes home and asks her how her day was
>Mom tells him she checked out Watership Down from the library
>Dad laughs
>Nightmares for a week

>>Dad laughs
he knew eh

>People actually liked this movie? It's older than I am!
Stupid youngfags.

F.
I'll never eat rabbit after watching this movie.

F

youtube.com/watch?v=cGyQmH9NZcw

rest in peace you absolute legend

get out of Sup Forums and never return

>Sup Forums only knows the cartoon.

Shame. The book was far superior.

Richard Adams one day happened to pick up a non-fiction book about the biology of wild rabbits. Predation, how they make their burrows, reproductive strategies, etc.

He thought it was fascinated. So he wrote this amazing fantasy novel where he anthropomorphized the rabbits just enough to give them names and speech and hopes and dreams. Then he just wrote about their adventures doing otherwise entirely normal rabbit stuff.

Highly recommend.

Respect

F

Whos gonna be next? Don Bluth? Stan Lee? Byron Howard?

2016 is a miserable bitch of a year.

And what are your favorite adult movies?

FUCK!

By announcement, it was Mad Magazine's Duck Edwing though he actually died yesterday.

F

That movie was kickass, I feel bad that I'm too stupid to read the book and enjoy it
F

F
And while I'm at it F for Brian Jaques as well. These two men taught me what courage was when i was a lad with their horribly violent woodland creatures.

Good night, you magnificent bastards.

f

>My his horror scar children for years to come

I first watched this when I was five or six.

Never again.

"Lord Frith, I know you've looked after us well, and it's wrong to ask even more of you. But my people are in terrible danger, and so I would like to make a bargain with you. My life in return for theirs.
"Not a day goes by but a doe offers her life for her kittens, or some honest captain of Owsla his life for his Chief Rabbit. Sometimes the bargain is accepted; sometimes it is not. But there is no bargain hereā€”for what is, is what must be."

F

Watership Down was the first (and still one of the most influential. So's The Plague Dogs) anthropomorphic animal style with a serious/dramatic slant to it. And, if I recall correctly, it was also the book that caused me to start forming opinions on politics, war, and things like that.

Also, while I'm grateful we're having a nice fairly respectful conversation about Rich Adams' passing here it does piss me off that it's Sup Forums that seems to be a lot more respectful about it than /lit/. fuck /lit/ it is shit

The book is definitely better but the movie does a good job of keeping to the central idea and feeling of the book

Oddly enough the movie and book gave me a better idea of what God is and does than most Sunday school

Oh for fuck's sake.

Shardik and Plague Dogs are great books of his too.

Man was one of the last great writers of that particular style of naturalistic fiction.

F

>David Bowie
>Jack Riley
>Gene Wilder
>Carrie Fischer
>and now Richard fucking Adams
>both Fischer and Adam's deaths announced in the same god damn day

This one was so unexpected, it's like the world wanted to fuck with Sup Forums and Sup Forums just in time before the year's end. 2016 was such a shit year.

>Richard Adams
>Carrie Fisher
>George Micheal

They're all dropping like flies.

>Brian Jaques
He's dead ? Seriously ?!
[F]uck, Redwall was one of my favorite series as a kid

He died several years back, man.

Now both of my favorite childhood authors have passed. It was really sad when Jaques died because he wasn't that old.

I suspected this one would be coming pretty soon.

F

Oh.

That's just terrible. I really loved his writing and WD is among my favourite books of all time.

But, alas, the Black Rabbit of Inle spares no one.

>Stan Lee

user, who do you think is responsible for all this?

F

If you don't love that movie, you need to leave this planet.