Straight to video animated comic book movies

Straight to video animated comic book movies
>Roughly 70 minutes long
>Clear and concise plot
>Costs only a few million to make

Live Action comic book movies
>Roughly 2-2.5 hours long (in theaters)
>Up to an hour has been cut out and will be on the uncut Blu-Ray
>The plot is bloated, complicated and requires the deleted scenes to be fully understood
>Costs hundreds of millions of dollars to make and just as much to market

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7kscfb9XzPs
screencrush.com/ranking-every-dc-animated-movie/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it was good

bump

Because there's more of an audience for live-action and much more money in theaters compared to direct-to-video

>Up to an hour has been cut out and will be on the uncut Blu-Ray
Only DC does this

Animated movies of DC are made by people who enjoy the source material and know what the actual public wants.

>Only DC does this
WB you mean

WB are run by a gaggle of incompetent old fucks

The extra hour runtime allows to exploration into the minds and motivations of these characters that few DC animated pictures fully realize. That's why THe Dark Knight Returns is one of the best DC animated films, because the runtime allows for it. That said, a strength of the 70 minute runtime is that it forces the writer to streamline potential aspects of their story that probably needed it.

For example, Under the Rood Hood was actually written by the same guy that wrote the original, as well as the Red Hood lost days which again altered his history. The original Red hood story was bloated with too many sequences and too many villains and the animated feature addressed many of my complaints. Still wished they incorporated the original foes Jason and Bruce defeated rather than techno ninjas. More/less same outcome though.

What are considered the best direct-to-video comic book movies?

>The extra hour runtime allows to exploration into the minds and motivations of these characters

Yeah. because that's what BvS and Suicide Squad did well, right?
We realllly understood everyone's motivation and how they thought.
That's what we got more.

Justice League Crisis on Two Earths, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern First Flight, and UTRH are my personal favorites. Doom and AoA are fun

Under the Red Hood is the only one i can think of better than the source material.
The hellboy animated movies are really good, blood and iron especially.

MY TIME TO SHINE

>Absolute Favs
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (whout a doubt my favorite animated DC film).
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

>Really Really Good
Return of the Caped Crusaders
Justice League: The NEw Frontier
Justice League: Gods and Monsters
Superman vs. The Elite

>More than watchable
Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox
Wonder Woman
Justice League: Doom
Batman: Assault on Arkham (might be moved up).
Batman: Year One (gets progressively better with each watch).
Green Lantern: First Flight (Training Day in space with Martin Stein bringing his Sinestro A-Game).

>Meh
Both Green Lantern Movies
Gotham Knight (half the shorts are great, the other half are completely forgetable).

>Fucking abomination
Justice League: War
Throne of Atlantis (it was a terrible adaptation
Killing Joke (same, the movie wasn't the worst thing in the world, but in terms of being an adaption is was a travesty).

Learn to fucking read. I never said the DCEU movies were good, I just stated a benefit of having a longer runtime compared to the 70 minute extravaganza. Don't put words in my mouth.

Was Crisis on Two Earths the last decent animated DC movie?

Flashpoint Paradox was literally the last enjoyable DC animated movie and everything from War on after has been utter shit. And speaking of which, fuck Justice League War. Sure the action is alright but everything else is dogshit
>Asshole jock Superman
>Exposition Batman
>The most boring Darkseid ever
>Replacing Aquaman with Shazam
>Dumbass Hal
>Clark/Diana shipping
But hey thats what you get for adapting New52 Justice League

>Learn to fucking read. I never said the DCEU movies were good, I just stated a benefit of having a longer runtime compared to the 70 minute extravaganza. Don't put words in my mouth.
Dude, you implied it

It's like if we're talking about boxes
I have a small box and a big box and I ask why is the big box bigger and you say "Well you can fit more tigers in a big box"

I'm going to start to think there's tigers in the box

You see how you implied it?

My only gripe with the movie is everyone cracking a thesaurus open every time they speak. They needed to simplify some of their speeches. Voice acting was on point though, especially the voice for Jason. I havn't seen any other film iterations for him but Jensen Ackles will be the definitive voice for Jason for me.

>youtube.com/watch?v=7kscfb9XzPs

Also the animation was kinda shoddy. The beginning animation was so fluid and detailed with the warehouse scene, then you have parts like Black Mask breaking Joker out where it was just worse than their TV shows.

But The Dark Knight Returns is made of two parts that more or less can stand on their own as individual features. If you made that movie like live action comic book movies are made, you'd get a single movie crowded with too many characters, subplots and keikaku.

World's Finest is less than an hour and it's way better than BvS. I'm all for going deeper into character motivations and backgrounds, but the only reason it "needed" half the stuff in it is because WB were rushing like crazy to scramble together a shared universe. And all that extra time was wasted because in the end we still got a Batman/Superman movie missing the fundamentals of why people like those two and want to see them interact.

>Because there's more of an audience for live-action and much more money in theaters compared to direct-to-video
All the major movie companies are pushing for a new distribution method that would let them sell movies digitally within a week of them coming out in theaters. The only hold-out so far is Disney.

Because WB is desperately trying to cash in on the shared cinematic universe trend so they shove as many plot points into their movies that can fit and then stick a few more in

You can see some fat ass WB exec going
>Make us like Marvel. NOW.

>Assault on Arkham
>Gods and Monsters
>Return of the Caped Crusaders

>Not enjoyable

>I havn't seen any other film iterations for him but Jensen Ackles will be the definitive voice for Jason for me.
Same here, he was a choice pick for the role.

>better than the source material.
Do you have any idea how much of a faint praise that is? Movie was shit too by the way.

Let's boil these animated movies to three choices.

>Best Movie
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
I feel this is one of the most complete Justice League stories I've ever experienced. The movie takes inspiration from the Morrison comic and then decides to do things all its own. The cast is stellar (especially James Woods and William Baldwin), the choreography is stupendious, and the movie actually provides an insightful plot that introduces the concept of Nihilism in a non-edgy way.

>Best Adaptation
The Dark Knight Returns
It changes a few sequences and dialog points which does pain me, but the benefit of being a film stretched out over two parts allows the movie to pay tribute to some of the more slow and somber scenes.

>Worst Movie
Justice League: War
This movie changes massive chunks of the story and ultimately provides nothing.

>Worst Adaptation
Batman: The Killing JOke
Just....just bad. There were so many quiet little moments frozen in panels that were MURDERED in this movie. The editor/director/screenwriter should all sit in a circle and feel bad about what they did.

>Three choices
>Four presented categories.
I'm retarded.

This is easily one of the worst lists I've ever seen in my entire life. This is not an exxaggeration.
screencrush.com/ranking-every-dc-animated-movie/

Because the straight to video flicks are empty cash grab fanservice with minimal effort, made only for the "fans" who were going to buy it anyway, even if it was printed on a toilet paper roll. Why bother putting forth the effort?

The live action films are for general audiences and made by studios and people who actually give a damn and are willing to spare no expense.

Does Marvel make any animated movies? I remember seeing a Planet Hulk movie on Amazon Prime.

Jesus christ you're not kidding. I've never read a list so wrong.