HYWC/ How's Your Webcomic #252

Fresh Start Edition

Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Comment and critique others' work!

Topic-What's your process? On paneling? On world-building?

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=Qby0ed4aVpo
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=9EMj_CFPHYc
vidyadeparted.tumblr.com/post/143519142838/first
tapastic.com/episode/517704
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

delete this

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' and they'll add you in.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Qby0ed4aVpo

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

reminder to
>ignore shitposts
>actually discuss amongst each other
>practice your fundamentals

>tfw want to collab as a writrr with an artist to make a webcomic
>tfw no one is going to take a risk like that
>tfw I don't blame them

arent there sites for that and vice versa?
though the best thing would be to pick up drawing on your own

have you thought about everything else that goes with having a partner?

anyone else get really inspired by things and suddenly have ideas for really cool characters?

Now that I don't need to give a texture to the story, I'm switching to digital ink, mostly. I've not decided yet which brush to use. The one I'm currently using is too clean and a bit blurred.

On other news, I hate hands.

Wow, exporting my image from CMYK to compressed jpg really is a bad idea. I need to change my color space.

have you tried using a small hard round brush?
shading b&w could help with that mature harsh look
id like to know the context of this but so far
>the extreme detail in the faces and the rest of the comic is a bit jarring
>not sure what hes holding in the second panel
your hands are actually pretty nice senpai

>have you tried using a small hard round brush?
>shading b&w could help with that mature harsh look
That's actually a good idea. I was going to try the pencil brush (which has a texture), but I have a round, small, very hard brush that leaves a bit of... I don't know... dirt, excess ink behind. I was planing on shading with colour, but I guess I can try shading with flat black, like comics always did.

>>the extreme detail in the faces and the rest of the comic is a bit jarring
Right. I'll give more detail to other stuff.

>not sure what hes holding in the second panel
Believe it or not, it's a shaving machine.

>your hands are actually pretty nice senpai
Much appreciated. I sweat each time I have to draw them.

This is a former page. I made it with markers, scanned it, and then cleaned it. I added some paper texture over all the layers in the end. All the pages are going to have that. I think it helps making the digital colors more.. warm.

maybe black and color shading then? pic related
your colors are pretty dull, maybe its lack of contrast in value, saturation and hue? the black can help with that too

>i sweat each time
i know. fuck hands they have no right to be the most difficult thing to draw

the texturing sure does give it the nostalgic feel of looking through the old classic comics

close! This is thread #336

reposting because end of last thread

I'll try to put a bit more of contrast (in general) in my drawings.

John cleese video for future reference: youtube.com/watch?v=9EMj_CFPHYc

user once suggested that i head over to /qst/ and try interactive storytelling for experience before my own. is this any good? i want to use a simple, loose style for that

your paneling is quite confusing
especially the last three, no idea what happened
i like where your art is going, the faces are like old anime. do more funds though. always.

just my two cents senpai

reminds me of how one theory is that creativity is a form of madness

oh and still sketching this faggot of course pls no bully about lighting, it sucks at home

>confusing paneling
aw shit, I was worried about that. It was already so damn many panels for something so quick, but actually expressing it was hard. and as it is, I was having trouble coming up with how this is going to work
basically her gashapon capsule gets picked up and put into a freezing chamber, she sees her breath and realizes that maybe if she mixed heat and cold she could get some kind of rain to happen (like it does in the atmosphere), and.. yknow, liquid water isn't good for electronics
but it doesn't work right away, then it occurs to her to try prying up a panel on the floor, exposing it to the water.. and it just shorts out and some kind of emergency hatch opens. I realized right at the end there wouldn't BE a door on it, but some kind of access sure.

next comic (by which I mean 3 more from now) she'll be in the bowels of the ship and then back into the hallway looking into other rooms.
anyway I'm glad you like the faces. One thing I'm really seeing in my new larger canvases, aside from the smoother lines (the intended reason) is there's a lot more room for facial variation now. When your pupils are 2 pixels wide you can't really make them grow or shrink, yknow?

Since the webcomic threads are no longer a thing, I'll post this here.

Working on a webcomic series on my spare time from work. Working on the first five pages and waiting to upload them all at once first then the next pages one at a time.

Pic related is the first page.

Been super slow on this. Barely did much since last webcomic thread. But I want to start working on it more when the new year starts as my resolution.

Page 4/5 preview.

Those are to worthy cents. I wish I could help you with your question, but I don't know anything about /qst/, but if it's like the old text adventures we used to do in /m/, it probably is quite entertaining. They probably don't ask for detailed art, just fast and expressive for the purpose of ilustrate the quest.

That's... cure. I like it. Reminds me of Ghibli's style, for some reason.

>Since the webcomic threads are no longer a thing
what?
anyway nice lighting here. good art. one prob, you seem to be holding shift while you type to get comic-standard all-caps... but it's turning your apostrophes into quotes, m8

screencap of my page 2.

I meant "cute".

Was copying what I posted in a /wya/, sorry. Last night someone made a thread making it sound like they were banded now but it doesn;t seem like the case anymore.

And thanks, and the type was the default with the apostrophies, but I'm using a different font for the finished pages when I upload them onto my site.

ill be away for a bit. dont you fuckers let this die, or derail

practice storytelling without words senpai, thatd help. also all that dialogue isnt really necessary as well if you show it good

noice, you got some great motion in there
careful with talk boxes, its left to right, THEN up to down, so i fucked up reading it right from the first panel

glad i could help then.
> just fast and expressive
thats why i wanted to go loose and messy for this. if it makes sense and looks cute, thats good enough for the job

>cute
thanks senpai
>...
but theres something wrong i take it?

i dont know but i think it was more or less the threads went to shit and kept dying

>but theres something wrong i take it?
Nope.

Keep in mind that I'm not a native speaker and I may fail at translating into English words my intention.

KEEP IT UP, I can SEE your potential ol chap, I believe in you.

that's good advice! I've been thinking about that lately... if maybe they're a little too chattery about something obvious.
In Riven's case though she's too cerebral not to talk her way through everything she does. It's important we know which gears are turning in her head.. of course I could draw a picture of her thoughts!
Which, oddly enough, is exactly what I have planned in the comic I'm starting on today.. lots of thoughts to make a point about how something's being figured out

>HYWC/
>not /HYW/
>How's Your Webcomic
>not How's Your Webcomic?
It's time for you to kill yourself.

Aw thanks!

I really dislike the captions, they look like Windows 3.1 prompts. Lettering is really important and needs to be minimal. Make them white or black and possibly change the font

Here is my shitty little comic's prologue. This surprisingly took me longer than I expected to finish

vidyadeparted.tumblr.com/post/143519142838/first
and here it is on Tapastic in case you don't wanna go on the main site I have
tapastic.com/episode/517704

I have been working on this inbetween life stuff for a couple months now, so you can easily tell that I have improved my art over these past couple months. I genuinely hate the look of the first 15ish pages, but I'm not gonna redo them because it isn't worth it.

Tell me what you think though. Is it god awful or somehow kindof decent?

If I changed the color of the font, it'll clash with the blue boxes. I'm going to be using a new font since I wasn't sure at the time what specific font I needed and would fit.

That's not worth niggling over
the number being off by over 80, maybe

>choice between a tumblr and a tapastic
well you've set the tumblr up pretty well, so I guess I'll bookmark that. Glad you have something beyond that imgur link to share now.
I've got nothing new to say about it since last time but despite not being super into the art, I'm still gonna add it to my list.. because I like the writing and the concept is kinda neat

I'm still working on this comic, but I'm making sure I can do scenery better and also have the entire chapter planned out before I actually do any of the art
If I ever finish the first part of the first chapter I'll post it in these threads

bump

oh ok then

fair enough

the old threads were always like that iirc, ill change it then for next. but is right
brb getting a noose
what number did you guys leave off on?

Ok, let's see if I'm going in the right direction.

I suck balls big time when it comes to inking. I mean, I'm quite decent at shading with traditional media, gradient shading, buuuuuuuuuuuuut I cannot do it for my life when I try to make flat shadows.

the last one was #335
next one will be #337
use of anything within /these things/ has never been standard.

the character designs are my favorite part, theyre so intriguing. however you should really really practice basic forms to flesh them out more. and maybe cel-shading, the airbrush is kinda bland
the first page is quite dull, but i like the humor once past that
ramp up the art and youve probably got yourself a nice looking comic

yes senpai! this is much better

ok thanks, been away for a long time

Great!

I was wondering, we could use these threads to share webcomics we like, or comic pages we like, or something like, or art that inspires us.

I guess it's clear as day that I read a lot of manga, for example. Like YAS style quite a lot, even if I cannot imitate it. Clean, simple, easy to read.

if it's specifically within the context of inspiring you, and how you'd like to learn their techniques, then I don't see why not
but it's not just a fangushing about webcomics thread

i dont see why not, just be careful to to get too off the point
posting art that inspires us seems like a great idea in a lot of ways

Special guest update

Comic is SaffronComic.com

tell me about guest comics
how do they work?

ha, ees funny because just like their usual lives but different!
It can take a number of forms. most commonly the artist wants to go on a little break so they invite people to do guest comics for them. I often feel like I want to do these, but alas, it's really hard unless you've been reading something for years, to be really confident in writing the characters, even if it just amounts to a wee fanfic.
other times it can be unsolicited fanart in the form of a comic that the author still wants to feature
sometimes they put their own characters in as guests, do some kind of crossover...

Ok then.

So why I like Yas? He's pretty cool at visual storytelling. I don't have a digital version of any of his manga here, but you can google his name (Yasuhiko Yoshikazu). He's a big name in Japan because he was a reference in the animation industry since late 70/ early 80s. He knows how to guide the reader through simple panels, and knows how to mix history, drama, comedy and sci fi in his stories (well, not all them: he doesn't mix history and sci fi). I like that he can get work and look great simple, non detailed character designs (probably because he's mostly an animator, and that was really an important matter in the past). And I like how he uses colour too. Overall, it's an artist I like quite a lot. He may not be impressive, but I really like his skills as a whole.

My main artist is on Christmas vacation, so I have my flatter doing bonus comics so that I have content. This isn't really a "guest" comic, because I wrote it and Threnn was paid a regular page rate. (And its canon nature is kind of ambiguous).

Often guest comics are paid, either with money or more commonly with an informal "cover me this week and I'll do one for you if need it" kind of deal

>not having a huge buffer to be able to take some off time without a break in your comic

Why even live with yourself?

hard enough being on time

It isn't if you plan ahead and don't spend too much time overworking your pages.

oh damn hes good
i think i can see where you draw from him, with the ease in ease out coloring

as for me, i have an entire folder of pics but heres one. i have a thing towards messy art. its loose, and effortless looking. things that id like to work on, which is why the style i use for this is so different from my regular stuff

I like some messy styles too, but I'm usually so naturally inclined to fix and clean my mistakes that I cannot work a messy, gesture-like style for myself.

not without ceasing to update. It takes one update-period to finish a comic (ideally. sometimes longer)

How long have your comics been going, guys?
How much longer do you plan to go?

>I'm usually so naturally inclined to fix and clean my mistakes that I cannot
exactly. partly why im attracted to it i think. and also why i push myself to lean more towards that

Any Sup Forums approved 'how to draw' books? I've got Keys to Drawing, and I'm working on some online stuff too, but psychologically speaking, I do much better when learning from books so I'd like a hard copy of another thing or two.

>how long
coming up on 15 years for the franchise as a whole, just passed 9 on this specific iteration..
>how much longer?
trying to wrap it up in under another year, but I'll do another iteration after that.. already have characters and plots in mind.

>It takes one update-period to finish a comic (ideally. sometimes longer)

But why?

I supposed the amount of time would matter here. People seem to average once a week here and I can't imagine spending that long even if it's only 2 hours a night, to finish a page.

Oh yeah good point, I could choose to update weekly and then I'd build up a buffer.
but I feel like bi-weekly is an absolute minimum to keep interest in a story

>15 years
holy shit senpai

>iteration
like a spin-off?

once you have your buffer your set and can go back to building a fanbase

>spin-off
I used to say 'sequel' but it's whatever DBZ is to dragon ball
but I'm not going to keep with the whole 'little sisters and descendants of previous cast' thing next time. It gets a little too 'oh hey we know your dad he sure did do a thing just like we're hoping you'll do'
also thinking it's going to take place largely slightly further south than where most of this has been, so as not to retread even more. also have a plot in mind to shake up the area at large (which I neglected to ever name. That's going to be a plot point)

how much should I charge to do a cover of a creator owned series that gets sold at cons?

I reckon you treat it like you would any commission. The fact that it's going to be published doesn't change how much your art is worth.

a/s/l?
is this just a hobby or semi serious?
what is your favorite genre?
your favorite setting?
what do you expect of me?

should HYW and WOYA combine?
i mean, they have trouble keeping up on their own and much of the discussions intersect

>Get really fucking into a comic
>they introduce a goddamned pronoun character
god fucking shitcrusting dammit. I really liked this. it was something I wanted

I've realized over time that my biggest strength is making characters. I'm trying to play to my strengths a little more than everything else, but that prologue is not a good example honestly.
I have a good 25 or more characters that are gonna be shown sooner or later in this thing, and I'm planning ahead to make this thing as good as I can at the moment

Just draw it badly. Every artist has their own story to tell.

finished this page!

Needs a better font and better bubbles.

>25 or more characters
whoa thats a lot, be careful with juggling them. also you might want to think about combining characters to be more rounded
might i ask where youre going storywise?

yeah. the last time you used it you said this was just a practice page for your new tablet, but seriously that's a major step down from how you were doing the text before.
the art also looks like it's taken a major hit, there's much less confidence than before, the lines are all jagged, the anatomy is nowhere.. you were doing a lot better before. Are you just having trouble getting used to the new tablet? or was it a new program, I forget

other than that, I'm giggling. the writing's still good.

>also you might want to think about combining characters to be more rounded
Surprisingly, I have already done that with a lot of characters. Just today I've been trying to form some of them together and make them a little better. Off the top of my head, I think like 8 or so characters have been taken out because of me not liking them designwise and characterwise.

>might i ask where youre going storywise?
The whole gist of where I'm going is a bunch of big stories told by multiple groups of people. It's a video game so there are a bunch of friend groups and clans ans whatnot. I'm trying to make all the characters entertaining and personalized in some distinct way from each other, and it's my favorite part of making this comic.
Basically a slice of life but with a continuous story of stupid losers with stupid problems.

I don't know why but this whole scene made me smile. You seem to enjoy making this comic a lot and that makes me smile even more. Keep at it dewd

Yeah, my old comp was 2 years old, so I thought that I should get good with this before my old one goes kapoot.

But if there is like, an actual page that I want to have some sort of impact, then I will go back to the old computer and bust out the old tools.

But yeah, this is basically training right now.

Also It does annoy me with how the lines are so shaky and I don't know if I'm gonna change how I do those. But I have already thought that through and decided that the second part of the West Tree story will be in a new style.. maybe, I dunno.

But yeah, it's nice that my writing is still good! Thanks guys!

>the writing's still good
TOP KEK

All the competent artists and writers left /hyw/ because they don't want to be associated with retards like these.

This is why Discord chat is superior. We can simply get rid of undesirable people.

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way is pretty good for learning the basics of making a good comic page

I'm thinking about making a slight change to my main character design, once she dons her default outfit. Previously I planned her to wear sandals and ditch/pack them when turning into a rat, but that seems like too much busywork. Especially if she switches forms by accident. I think footguards like these could work for both short elf toes and long rat ones, and they fit the fantasy thief theme.
I don't want her to walk barefoot all the time, because it seems both impractical and too fetishy.

i dont like drawing panels and i can only draw with 1px pencil tool

can/should i continue like this

I think it'll only seem fetishy if you put emphasis on them. Closeup shots of her bare muddy soles, etc. But I agree in that those footguards look suitable

>i can only draw with 1px pencil tool
??

I'm unemployed now so...

I started doing my Brandon and Ralph shenanigan again.

Does anyone have a guide on webcomic hosting sites? I have an account on tapas but I just wanna see other options.

Nobody wants your sonic OC furry shit

Settled then.
I should get on with the next page now. I'm almost at chapter end.

That's how pronoun people feel about the comic right now, I'm sure. Is it off-hand or do they make a big issue out of it?

Dog. Come on, are you even trying?

WIP of page 2. Man I am slow....

Geez, when did DIO become a webcomic artist.

>ebin jojog reberence
Shut the fuck up.

Are you wanting to write your own projects, or just flex your brain muscles for someone else's?

no sound effects?

i really like this design. not even a footfag just looks cool

>pronoun people
what, like trans or nonbinary and shit?

how do i into perspective senpai?
i look at books and tutorials but im too retarded to comprehend

Well there is this book called perspective made easy. The best and easiest way to understand perspective.

It's for scenery, but you can apply it as well to people if you set up perspective lines. You can use lines to heights and dimensions for other people or objects within backgrounds to know how they are placed and heightened at in places on a picture.

And as this user said >You seem to enjoy making this comic a lot and that makes me smile even more. Keep at it dewd
It's about the pleasure of making a comic because you have an affinity for it.

I can criticize ONE's art all I want, however, it doesn't mean Mob Psycho 100 is horrible in anyway because he compenstate for it by being good at storytelling.

And,
>muh superiority
Someone may think the same of you in Discord

>draw a comic for 13 years with no readers
>have no friends
>actively fight improvement
>cheerlead for the dewd
>take off tripcode regularly so people can't filter you away
It must suck being coldfusion. I almost feel sorry for him.

Gotta be 18 years old to use Sup Forums, Negan.

>because he compenstate for it by being good at storytelling
If you actually think his grade school tier copying of popular tropes is good by any stretch, you are as retarded as he is. Really wish there was a compiled list of all the shit he tried to blatantly rip off.

>cheerlead for the dewd
>he never reciprocates