Was Childs a Thing?

Was Childs a Thing?

when I watched it the first time I assumed that they were trying to convey the fact that it didn't matter who was or wasn't the thing, because neither would survive the freeze
but we have this thread like every few weeks or so and there isn't any single theory that has enough evidence to satisfy me

It did matter, because eventually a team would come to check on them due to the lack of contact, and they'd find the bodies and bring them back.

Why would he run out of the building into the snow chasing something he thought he saw?Nevermind that the camera work seems to imply something came up behind him.

How intelligent is the Thing anyway? It seems to have the intelligence to emulate people perfectly. Or do people just not realize they're infected until their body transforms?

yep, totally out of character for him, we blatantly see earlier in the film he was fucking willing to let macready freeze outside, he wasn't going to take any chances, and suddenly we're supposed to believe he went after blair into the middle of a fucking dark ass shit snowstorm, all by himself? puh-lease...
not to mention the second tracking shot showing the rearranged coats and boots, the main doors wide open and the storage doors behind childs back also wide open suggesting he was grabbed by the alien from the back.

the biggest question is, why would a childs-thing drink that whiskey mac offered? my guess is it was celebrating victory or some shit, because we saw earlier this fucking monster can be were showoffy.

>Was Childs a Thing?

No.

>How intelligent is the Thing anyway?

At the very least as intelligent as the smartest of humans, and more than likely, much more intelligent than humans.

Being able to perfectly emulate people would at least mean it has to be as smart as the person it imitates, which includes scientists and doctors in the movie, but on top of that, the thing also knows far more than its host does, such as when they discover it attempting to build a spaceship out of UFO parts, something that no one on earth would have any knowledge of in how to make such a machine.

>why would a childs-thing drink that whiskey mac offered?

Possible route of infection if he passes it back and MacReady drinks it in his inebriated state.

Or it knows it has won and drinks only to keep up the imitation of Childs because that's exactly what Childs would do. The Thing might think it's a dumb move, but people do dumb shit all the time and that means keeping up appearances.

>Possible route of infection if he passes it back and MacReady drinks it in his inebriated state.
sheeeeeit, this is an excellent thought, funny how i never got that on my mind.

The whiskey is a Molotov, Macready was testing him

>The whiskey is a Molotov, Macready was testing him

Did Childs regularly drink Molotovs or something?

He didn't know

This is the worst theory ever and I hate that it's so common.

Childs literally says he's NOT the thing

Oh yeah, let's just trust the word of the black.

Na, just black.

I only got to watch this for the first time recently, was the doggie transformation scene supposed to be like a big reveal? I know enough Swedish that I could more or less understand the Norwegian guy at the beginning and I fear the impact of the kennel scene was ruined for me.

>He didn't know

OK, so even if he didn't know, wouldn't he spit it out as soon as he drinks it if it was gas?

He's a human, unless humans developed a taste for gas, that'd be the dumbest give away and so much for the 'perfect imitation' thing. I mean, if someone was infected, you think they'd suddenly go around eating out of the trash can because 'they didn't know' or some shit?

At that point there's only two possibilities. Either the Norwegians are infected with something that makes them crazy and that's what the movie is about. Or there's something up with that dog. Since the movie is called "The Thing" it's safe to assume that it's going to be about a Thing, so the dog's the suspect.

ah okay I figured. My friend was really disappointed that I "got spoiled" so he probably just didn't catch on yet at that point.

it literally is not, you mongrel subhuman. you think mac would be doing summersaults and leap frogs with molotovs in his jacket? and the bottle was almost empty, you dumb fuck.

don't bother arguing with pajeets.

one thing i regret is we never got to see a nigger thing. the whitey-things were disgusting enough, just imagine what a nigger-thing would look like in the form of nauls or even uglier - childs. imagine those flap lips suddenly getting split wide open gaping flower style with huge and hairy nigger tentacles reaching out for the kill, imagine the nigger roar and growling... brrrrrr!

>imagine being this gay

>because we saw earlier this fucking monster can be were showoffy.
Please can you explain?

the way it kills and torments the dogs, norris' vampire-like head to distract the crew, palmer's hideous exploding head, blair's gigantic monster that could've easily killed mac.

you need to take your medication, bro

you're terrified, son, no need to be upset, it's just movies.

It doesn't matter either way. Childs saw the Thing run off the camp. If that's Childs at the end, then the Thing is still alive.

It was a good movie but I did not get the scene where MacReady looked at the camera and said "after all these years I have finally become John Carpenter's The Thing" and proceeded to wink at the camera for the rest of the movie.

I'm the Thing

I don't think that's necessary a quality of the Thing but rather the way they went about filming those scenes

Back to your grave, Lovecraft.

The main argument behind this is that MaCready drank the gasoline acting as if it was liqour. He basically mans up and drinks it to make Childs/Thing believe it's some form of liqour. How does the thing know anything about humans let alone what all liqour is supposed to taste like? It imitated macreadys actions because that's the sole purpose of the thing
TLDR
>macready mans up and drinks gasoline
>if childs is the thing then it too will just drink gasoline
>if not child's would've spit it out immedietly

>How does the thing know anything about humans let alone what all liqour is supposed to taste like?
Because it's been shown to know throughout the fucking movie? That theory is as retarded as the "he doesn't breathe look at the vapour!!!" theory, and both of them only open up the Childs=Thing theory for ridicule.