TFA, overrated or underrated?

TFA, overrated or underrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uIUlNOz-Lwo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was great IMO

It was good but certainly not anything special. It hit all the right cliche animu notes that made it popular.

I don't know about the UNIVERSE AT LARGE, but within the general Transformers fandom it's extremely underrated.

It hit right when everyone was still butthurt over the first Transformers movie, so anything that didn't look 100% GEEWUN was going to be shat on with prejudice, because RAPED MUH CHILDHOOD

The show itself was pretty darned great though, and we got some of the best engineered toys of all Transformers-dom out of it.

I don't know, I don't think I'd call it "animu"

Great Soundwave design I can say that

Everything in this post is completely wrong to the point of bizarre-ness.

Those toys were fucking great. I didn't think they'd be able to engineer functional toys based on how whack those designs were, but they sold me for life.

The toys were some of the most factory-error prone products in the franchise.

True, had a number of the voyager Star Screems molds that were error prone.

The show was great, but the fandom spergs on everyone who liked it because of some bullshit about the toys.

I recall one particularly autistic fan calling TFA "a hearnia on the ass of the franchise" when I mentioned liking it once.

Please stop posting delusional nonsense.

Best Grimlock and Rachet.

It's definitely not overrated, and it's probably not underrated either.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who said it was the best Transformers show. There are things in it that are what you would expect out of a great show, but I don't remember ever being as into it as I was into shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, and I'm not sure if Animated left an impact on kids like Beast Wars did.

I liked it, the butthurt people got about arguing which version of Blackarachnia was better was dumb though.

Any show that gives us a montage of Starscream trying to assassinate Megatron and getting killed for it over and over again can't be overrated.

It was a damn good show. Solid art style, solid characters and characterization and solid story. My one regret is that it was over too soon and so the third season was rushed.

Underrated treasure.

The toyline was better than either of the two movie toylines it followed and preceded (and IMO better than any movie toy line,) and it actually had a real story. It wasn't a perfect story, but compared to the Unicron Trilogy that was fucking garbage with shitkid sidekick sprinkles on top, TFA's biggest problem was that there were alot of human villains to start off with and the token human's plot macguffin was a little powerful Things got better and there were actual character arcs in the show.

TFA's Optimus Prime is also, arguably, the way to sell Rodimus as a character correctly. Which is a little ironic, but anyway... the point is TFA was the best story-driven TF at a time when the only cartoons being aired were fucking lousy, the movies were their own problem and even if the show's art style was Teen Titans all over again, it was a breath of fresh air. Maybe not the best TF, but certainly a TF series where they knew what they were actually doing.

I love it, but at the same time, I hate the fact that it took SO fucking long to really get started, and was killed just as it hit it's stride. It needed that last season, desperately. I wanted to see more of Waspinator and Blackarachnia, more of Cybertron, other Autobots that didn't get much screentime like Jazz and RC, all those cool Decepticons we only got a glimpse at.

I don't think it's overrated at all, if anything it got more hate than it deserved.

Best Blitzwing design... actually a lot of the decepticons had great designs.

Sometimes it kinda feels like both. Many of its fans tend to praise it to heck in spite of its many faults, but I've also seen extremely bitter haters deriding it as one of the worst things to have happened to the franchise.

But in general, wider fanbase, it also tends to get overlooked. G1 and BW are still popular and well-known, the movies get lots of attention, and Prime was pretty big too. Sometimes it feels like Animated got lost in between them.

Definitely. Animated might as well be only slightly above Rescue Bots in public knowledge.

Posts like this reek of "I didn't actually watch it, but I want to comment on it derisively". It may have had some anime influence in its design, but nothing about the show was an anime cliche.

Absolutely loathed the artstyle, but it does actually translate well to toy form, far better than the others

Eh....it was okay. Got somewhat better later when the obnoxious human villains were finally dropped. Show still suffered from clunky animation and dialogue though.

Reminds me of a poster I knew who loathed Animated because of his hatred for anime, and thus regarded the show as weeb pandering based on superficial details.

Show actually got me into TF. So I guess It'll always be a bit special to me. It introduced some nice characters, and it still baffles me how they managed to make some of the toys work.

The art style was jarring at first, but some of the designs were really good and translated surprisingly well to the toys. I have purple edition Shockwave on my shelf, that nigger is poseable as fuck and has 4 different forms nonetheless (never-mind the fact that both the crane and tank are near identical).

It's biggest downside was fillers and shitty human villains + animation sometimes looked like ass. It also ended right when it seemed things were going to get really interesting.

The transformation sequences were anime as fuck though. youtube.com/watch?v=uIUlNOz-Lwo

It gave us "Transform and rise up." For that alone the show was amazing.

I really liked the stabilization, characterization and world building. Compared to what had existed in Transformers lore up until that point it was a massive breath of fresh air despite all the 'NOT MUH' fandom implosions and the slow start. Autobots that were mostly tool workers, Decepticons were the flying war machines, Prime wasn't a leader yet, the great war was already over, etc. It had a great mishmash of new ideas, reinvention of older concepts, and unapologetic series fanwank. The toys were great when the q/c wasn't completely jank after coming out of an era of wide line gimmick series. Animation was mostly terrible the human villains got tiresome, and it was canceled in its prime.

Take the JP intro style art and designs and make a season 4 and my dick would be diamonds.

Overated

I liked that Starscream was an un-redeemable cunt and Megatron didn't take any shit. Megatron was actually competent enough to execute him the moment he found out he was a traitor.

It had the best Transformers theme song.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk

Underrated.

I liked it more than beast wars since it had a way more consistent tone.

Guh this intro is really good and the animation is awesome, but it's so fucking misleading. Makes it seem like characters that were barely in a few episodes are big main characters, while giving you the impression the show is going to be strictly about the robots, when the actual main character is Sari.

>animation sometimes looked like ass
>Animation was mostly terrible

This was pretty painful. The much-derided designs were meant for nice smooth and dynamic animation, but it was the exact opposite of that. And even the art itself was wack a lot of times. I'm imagining the show would have gotten far less hate if the animation was actually decent and put the designs to good use.

The stock transformation scenes looked great and there were some instances of nice animation work, but episode 4 is the only one that comes to mind which had consistent good animation quality. The rest ranged from just passable to embarrassing.

Megs really was fucking great in that show.