Help out an oldfag - Is Blade Runner 2049 worth watching?

Oldfag here and big fan of the Original Blade Runner.

I haven't set foot in a cinema in ages, but I'm considering watching the new BR 2049 at the theater. I'm very reluctant since Hollywood has been producing nothing but shit for years now, especially movies that are sequels or remakes of established classics.

So I ask you Sup Forums, how shitty is Blade Runner 2049? Is it as bad as I think it is, just like all other remakes, or is it actually worth watching?

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aMP1YpQSGhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yuXGpUR7fXA
nationalreview.com/article/452384/blade-runner-2049-dystopia-boring-predictable
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first of all, it's not a remake
secondly, it's fantastic. go and see it on the biggest screen you can find

100% the best movie of this year

It was too loud

this + go alone and piss before the movie

>any modern big name hollywood movie
>a SEQUEL to a 30 year old movie no less
>worth watching
>ever

Normies find this movie slow and boring. Make of that what you will.

It is a completely unnecessary sequel.

Ignore the teenagers here who have never seen a cyberpunk movie before.

Glossy.
Also contrived, bleak and without charm, almost devoid of ideas and not confident in the few it does play around with, leaving absolutely nothing to the imagination. My biggest gripe, however, is that it leaves the existentialism of the first in favor of an essentialist outlook which is completely uninteresting and oddly dated in a time when A.I. is a very hot topic. The political dimension of the story is force-fed to us and then left in the dust.

Lifeless. That’s the word I’m looking for.

be sure to get lots of sleep and drink coffee before you start watching this movie,
it was the slowest movie I think I have ever seen

Have you never seen the first Blade Runner?

It's as good as the original.

>itt: slowfags

Go watch it user, best film out in a long time. Make sure you watch the original first if you haven't done so before. If you suspect of your own normie tastes don't bother, really

I've seen Evolution by Diaz and that's 10 hours
Have you?

0.05 cents have been deposited in tour account! Thank you for your service!

Never said anything about the movie being slow you dumb nigger.

My only gripe were the couple of explanatory flashbacks that were clearly intended for american/chinese audiences.

you are old and incapable of appreciating new things so no, just stay with your memories and save us the trouble of witnessing your meltdown

Savage.

dont go to the imax then

then stay home like you always do, dumbass

great review, let me know when you've seen it

>itt: cells interlinked within cells interlinked

Meh, was pretty boring. The only good action scenes were when indiana johns fought drive guy. No wonder so many people left mid-movie

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND WATCH THE MOVIE.

It's not a cash grab, it's made by a real filmmaker. I was amazed at how much they let the director get away with.

If you don't see this movie and claim to be a Blade Runner fan you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

he was talking about you being slow, you fat dumb fatty

>is it actually worth watching?
It isn't. I watched it the other day and was kind of disappointed. It's got some good moments, but mostly bad overall. Once you get past the visuals there is not much there. It's not worth the time and money to pay and see, and definitely not as good as the original. Actually, I think people who weren't such big fans of the original movie, or have never seen it, are more likely to enjoy Blade Runner 2049 than original fans.

Yeah, I didn't see it either.

Well, kid?

This. I saw it on a 10/10 cinema with a friend who doesnt talk during a movie (such a pitty everyone was chewing fucking popcorn the whole time) but mid movie i was almost peeing myself.

Watch the original and the 3 shorts before (specially the cowboy bebop creator one)

you should also watch these, gives context tot he "Blackout" and expands a bit on Batisda's replicant character.

youtube.com/watch?v=aMP1YpQSGhQ

Thank you for you input. I'll probably watch it.

the scene where he finds his little wooden horsey takes literally 10 minutes.
standing...
staring...
horror music...
my god it is slow.

This pasta, again

Stop using words you don't understand.

Fellow oldfag here. Yes, it's worth it. The big-screen visuals alone make it worth it. It's a thing of beauty.

coming from a diehard fan of the original
>Bale Runner 2049
reddit-tier over hyped trash
2/10 would not watch again unless under threat of violence

thanks phoneposting

Yes. Watch it in IMAX, a normal theater will absolutely not do this film justice.

Watch it if only for production value.
If you're an oldfag and have eaten scifi for breakfast for years now, i don't think you'll be impressed with storytelling and how it explores the cyberpunk themes, especially with Ford being a piece of wood. But we probably won't get that kind of atmosphere and visuals for a very long time.

>how it explores the cyberpunk themes
LMAO this post

> t. J.J. Abrams

Bumping again
I really hope you're not running around here pretending you're patrician for watching a 3 hour videogame

Yes. If its not better than the original, it's on par with it and builds on the themes and the world explored in the first one.

If you enjoyed the atmosphere and philosophy of the original film then you'll enjoy 2049. It's the best sci-fi film of the year and possibly the decade.

kys brainlet

The last 30 mins are great, the other ones are just a clusterfuck but ok.I think they could've made it shorter.

It's a good sequel but the original BR is better

It's good. Only one flaw:

The bad replicants are cartoonishly bad.

Luv was unironically the best element of the film.

She's kinda sympathetic villain

Chances are that if you liked the original you're gonna like at least some of the new one too. It's honestly very close to it in tone, only longer, bigger and more ambitious. At points a bit overambitious, to be perfectly honest, but most of it works and all things considered it's a more than worty succesor.

I'm sure the question if the new one or the old one's better will keep Science Fiction fans busy for a pretty long time. I'm partial to the old one but... you know, the new one's really, really good.

It's not hard sci-fi enough for sci-fi fans, it's not casual enough for casuals.
In other words, it's shit.

the story was convoluted. It juggled too many ideas and never really went into depth in any of them.

The first half of the movie has an entirely different arc than the last who both compete for importance where you end up not really caring for what happens in either of them.

The villains were evil for the sake of being evil.

>is a sequel made of a "classic" film by a hack director worth watching
lel

Do you like BrBa and fedora movies? Then yes, this flick may be for you.

Do it

First of all Blade Runner is one of my two favourite films of all time, the other being the first Ghost in the Shell film.
BR 2049 is fantastic as long as you consider it as fanfiction that was done 35 years later as a homage by a fan. You should definitely go see it on the big screen or you will regret it, because visually it's one of the best films of probably the last 15 years.
One other thing; I fucking HATE Ryan Gosling and expected just his presence to ruin th film, but he did the character 100% justice. Perfect casting.

TL;DR I'm pretty fuckign autistic and anal when it comes to classics and their modern remakes/reboots/sequels. I consider BR 2049 as fanfiction and a love letter to the original by a huge fan that happens to be Denis Villeneuve - it's fantastic for what it is.

This is objectively better than the original, tho.

My subjective opinion says no. Have a nice day!

Speaking of slow movies.

King Kong.

]At first I was angry because they establish that Harrison Ford must not be a replicant because he hasn't expired for 30 years.
Then they decide "Nah bro, some model 8s don't have expirations".
But this goes directly against all of Tyrell's stated intent when creating a being which is in every way better than humans.
"more human, than human" should mean an accentuation of every aspect: both positive attributes and the detriment of mortality.

Well your subjective opinion is objectively wrong. Have a mediocre day!

not at all not even close. The original knew what it was about. The new one muddles around different points but each compete to the point where it isn't about anything

>may be
it 100% is

]I think 2049 tried to make the whole Harrison Ford Replicant ambiguous. If he is a Replicant, then how did he impregnate Rachel? Do Replicants produce sperm? If he's not, how did he survive radiation, and when Luv says "We are going home" it implies that they are going to the Replicant factory.

You are an awful person.

Deckard is not a replicant.

If he was, wallace would just use him instead of searching for a child

Also, when he says that rachael and deckard where designed to love and procreate with each other, he finishes with "IF you were designed".

Seen it twice and will be 3 times tomorrow.

After the first viewing it flys by

Watched it at two different ones now both were dolby atmos but one sounded terrible and too loud like you said but in the bigger cinema it sounded better probably something with the acoustics set up.

Thank god you didnt watch fury road, hollywood needs to stop making those kind of movies right?

>unironically hating based Goose

Correction.

Make sure you watch the shorts

It's a good movie.

compelling and spot-on

On a second watch it wasnt that long desu

I think Villeneuve rewatched it so much to tweak it he kept adding and adding. There are some scenes cut from the trailer that werent in the movie aswell

You did see the number that shows Rachel was a nexus 7 they've never showed us any other nexus 7s in any of the movies so maybe ford is one of those if it pleases you

It was great.

God yes!

>for people that didn't torrent the movie the day before seeing the sequel
fixed

>BwOooOOMM, brrrrrrrroooommm

Yes it is. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a Lefty shill trying to mitigate since the new BR ignored them and their whiny babbyshit like they were nothing.

Do yourself a favor and go see it. You'll be glad you did.

If this is bait you can just fuck off mate. However, if you really are interested if this movie is really worth getting off your ass for then yes. Even if you don't 100% think it's a masterpiece while you watch it, the visual experience alone will make it worth while. I was reluctant to see it and am someone who is fucking bored to death by movies, but this time this movie is really worth your time. Seriously get up off your ass and see the movie on the biggest screen possible. Honestly 10/10.

How can you hate this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=yuXGpUR7fXA

It's a good movie.
Great shots.
Great acting.
Good score.
Plot and dialogue are a bit weak in places.
It's not cyberpunk but it is sci-fi. The future it presents is one informed by our dying corporate one. I don't know, recession-punk or something.

Did they do justice to Gaff? he was my favorite part of the original

No it isn't worth watching

It doesn't do anything interested with its story or characters or the visuals are not as great as the original

People here will say that the shots are great and cry pleb to anyone who says a bunch of grey and black shots for three hours is bad, but it is bad because it was poorly executed. Having mainly grey and black shots is fine but nothing interesting is done with them. It just doesnt look good

I had a debate with some friends after seeing the movie if the writing is actually inconsistent considering the question with Ryan Gosling's character, and if it isn't, if its just bad

We have the "actual" daughter say, this is a lived memory, roughly, but not say, this is my memory, and then watches K freak out and says nothing. This is extremely convenient for the plot for this left-alone-for-years girl to have some stranger show up with her memory and just let him go without saying a word. Then we have some rando say, you are not the child, but I dont know why we are supposed to just believe her. Considering the records were scrambled means fucking whatever the plot wants, there could be two children who both ended up living. Meaning we actually dont know if K is part human/from reproducing replicants. We also still dont know if Deckard is one. This movie has no balls and reminds me of Lost [/spoilers]

I wouldnt waste my money, just wait

it's not that hollywood has been producing shit for years. you're old. cinemas are for loud and obnoxious teens that enjoy hanging around in packs while being obnoxious and loud chewing nachos with cheddar dip and drinking soda dirtying everything around them.

you're a hard working man, why waste your free time driving, finding somewhere to park and waiting in a queue (alright, this movie has none) to buy a ticket.

just wait for the yify rip my bro

olmos have a short but sweet cameo

saw this yesterday night on imax, right in the middle of the theatre, perfectly center horizontally and vertically - it blew my mind.

no
nationalreview.com/article/452384/blade-runner-2049-dystopia-boring-predictable

>thanks everyone in the thread

This guy really is an oldfag.

Is the original worth watching? I hate sci-fi so I didnt bother

Oldfag too who just came back from it. Obviously you just can't ask those 20s kids what they thought about it, since everything that's not capeshit is seen as a masterpiece nowadays here, they're all overreacting. It's fine for a while but gets shitty in the last segment, once the mummy harrison Ford appears. I wanted cyberpunk, but I finally got some fucking family drama... should have excpected it, coming from a fucking leaf. At least there's not too much negroes.

>gets shitty in the last segment
>some fucking family drama
this. really unsatisfying ending. i thought it started off strong and finished miserably.

future carz can't float, lol

How can you tell he's phoneposting.

>should have excpected it, coming from a fucking leaf. At least there's not too much negroes.
You can't be a day over 15.

Yeah right kiddo, keep sucking villeneuve's cock, I was watching the first one when you were still playing with those Lord of the rings figures.