Sonic The Hedgehog #290 Storytime

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dJNR68XmFCk
youtube.com/watch?v=mLBLB4zL8XM
i.imgur.com/WniQPmE.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=S5w0lDYPQvw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hope Metal Sonic looks good here and not a total jobber.

Thread Theme:

JP: youtube.com/watch?v=dJNR68XmFCk

NA: youtube.com/watch?v=mLBLB4zL8XM

He's a jobber

I know, and it hurts to be a fan of him when he never really gets any wins.

That's all.

Filesize was too large for this one, so I had to resize it.

Full resolution here
i.imgur.com/WniQPmE.jpg

Looks pretty great.

OP, think you could storytime Sonic #25 so we could compare Spaz's take on the Sonic/Metal Sonic race from Sonic CD?

I recall that issue looking really good at a time when all of Sonic's other comics looked like shit.

Friendly reminder that we're 10 issues away from #300

Sure. You want the scanned version or the digital one that came with Sonic Universe #50?

Digital version has shitty gradient to the colors, do scan

Scan if it's more authentic.

Thanks, OP!

>good thing we've got a wide screen tv
Kek

First appearance of best bot.

I forgot that they basically gave him a mouth.

>Metal Sonic with dialogue and personality

I'd almost forgotten.

>bringing up Amy's Tarot

holy shit I thought I'd never see it again. I think it was only mentioned once in Sonic Battle and then never again.

Yardley

vs.

Spaz

Both artists went for the same thing with design, but I like both for different reasons. Spaz's has better use of perspective and looks more dynamic. Yardley's has more going on and takes more time to look over.

Both are good in their own right.

This is the Metal that turned into Shard later in the series too, IIRC. Tons of personality in this robot.

GET FUNKY

KEY TO KEY

GET FUNKY

YO HUSTLE HUSTLE

Turn it up! GET DOWN!

Cassata's coloring improved so much this issue, hopefully he keeps it up

Art break.

By people who worked on the comic at the time.

Would you wear an Archie shirt?

Actually it's not. This is Metal 1.0. The Metal that becomes Shard doesn't show up until the mid 80s issues. That one is Metal 2.5

>Tarot Cards have Chaos and Gaia on them
Neat

And Solaris in the middle

>Mecha Sonic

I'd forgotten that the old Archie issues could get Metal vs. Mecha straight.

Sometimes they'd call him Metal, sometimes they'd call him Mecha. Sometimes when Sonic got roboticized, HE was Mecha Sonic.

Then there's the Sega character named Mecha Sonic whom I don't think they even used...

That's one thing I'm glad the reboot straightened out.

This Metal was rebuilt in the Knuckles Chaotix special and Shard was referred to as the original Mecha Sonic during Endangered Species.

Have to say, after reading both, I prefer the new one.

It actually is. This one was rebuilt to 2.0 in the Chaotix special (with Power Gem), then 2.5. They didn't become different robots until 3.0.

3.3 became Captain Metal, and while the current one has no model number it continues on 3.8's tenure (which was rebuilt from 3.7).

>Your finger

WTF

I'm actually liking this old one a bit more.

I like the art of the new one better personally, though.

look at them. So happy, so pure. They have no idea whats coming
echidnas

And there you go. Issue 25.

>wait so who finished building this place
That is a very good question.

>And there you go. Issue 25.

Thanks, OP.

It was fun to compare the races.

My mistake then

>that Penders Sally

You know, I really dislike Spaz's art style and stiff panel work.
And I don't like how the Freedom Fighters were written in.
And I really don't like the old Archie Robotnik design.
And I'm not too keen on Metal Sonic talking, either.

...And I still prefer #25 to the new version. It's just written in such a clinical, boring way. I'm not even annoyed that it's closer to the game - in fact I kind of like that - so much as how sterile and uninviting the dialogue and pacing are.

>time eater
no, no, no, he can't say that. In generations, he and tails know each other which means it happens after Sonic 2, but canonically CD happens before Sonic 2

what did they mean by this

Those two "artists" at the bottom have caused a lot of trouble.

>canonically CD happens before Sonic 2
This has never been the case.

They cut this from the reprint in SU 50 because they realized it implied the reader must be white.

No seriously.

youtube.com/watch?v=S5w0lDYPQvw

>You know, I really dislike Spaz's art style and stiff panel work.

My problem with Spaz is that his "trick" to get his characters to look three dimensional is to have them constantly tilting their heads to the side. So we're always seeing the underside of their chins.

Once you start to notice it it becomes really annoying. But to Spaz's credit, he was leagues better than every other artist who worked on the book at the time and he'd be the best artist the book had until Yardley came along.

That's apparently not the case here, since he's known Tails since before Sonic 1, and the issue before this one shows him taking down Silver Sonic and the Death Egg.

>Cd before 2
That's always been Fanon. The official canon has it after 3&K but before Sonic 4

Why is it that every single time Sonic sees metal he has to mention that he's fast. Is this a running joke or something?

I just find these new adaptions lately so utterly unnecessary.

An adaption was needed or rather better suited back early in the comic, but not nowadays.

This should be been in one of those digests rather than a full issue.

This is awful. They just skipped 3 zones. What the fuck?

If you fall for pinup art memery, sure.

Manak was the best early artist by a mile, as he actually understood things like inter-panel inertia, stretch and squash, etc. He was lazy at times, but he had the most talent in terms of comic art (as opposed to Spaz, who was a MacFarlane-esque figure). Similarly, Gallagher was the most talented writer but was overshadowed by DeCesare because he gave so few shits.

At least Unleashed was used as a way to establish shit for later, and Champions was a blast. This is something Sega mandated, which baffles me because we got 2 parts of Mega Drive this year which should fill the Classic quota