Do you ever listen to the audio commentary of your cartoons...

Do you ever listen to the audio commentary of your cartoons? I think they are pretty good additions if you want to know more about how and what thoughts were put into the cartoon when made

Other urls found in this thread:

songexploder.net/jeremy-zuckerman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't re-watch cartoons.

I would but cartoons rarely have commentary for their dvds/blu rays.

I did with the earlier seasons of The Simpsons and the big knights. But there is so much poorly done commentaries for cartoons due to the creators inability in talking for 24mins*26

Very rarely, actually.

Th Futurama DVD commentaries are so good that they made me want to become a tv writer.

Rarely

The last audio commentary I heard for a cartoon was a South Park

Venture Brothers commentaries are absolutely amazing. They go off on tangents and end up accidentally brainstorming ideas that show up in later seasons. I love listening to them while I'm working.

I would if they had any.
The Rick and Morty commentaries are pretty fun, it's like listening to a podcast.

the invader zim ones are funny as hell

Hellboy animated films have decent commentaries with Mignola and Tad Stones, a bit dry though. John R. Dilworth's started recording his own commentary on certain Courage episodes on Youtube too

Yah this.

Futurama commentaries singlehandedly increased my respect and love for a show I was already mad about.
They're also the perfect working BG noise

Shame nobody ever fucking rips the audio commentaries, probably the one reason to keep old DVDs.

>Th Futurama DVD commentaries are so good that they made me want to become a tv writer.

The Futurama writers are all Harvard and other Ivy League graduates.

I hope you're family's loaded.

I heard the Audio Commentaries of the Zim Dvd's were amazing but i can't find them. Its been like 10 years or more so it makes sense why they aren't anywhere

I remember watching the directors commentary of Batman Beyond. At the time it really rattled me how okay the creators were with the show not getting any more seasons. They said something basically along the lines of "Once you have 3 seasons of a show you can syndicate it basically forever"

At the time it bothered me that I cared about a show more than it's creators did.

I don't have cartoon discs but I did love the commentaries on new adventures of Batman and Robin, hearing Bruce Timm talk about working around censor boards and ends up doing scenes even more heinous then they would have been and discussions of color palette numbers

Adventure Time has the worst audio commentaries.

The creators will start talking about something and then go "ORANGE" (their codeword for "we can't talk about this publicly).
Then the commentary will go mute for several minutes.
WHen it resumes, they're all giggling and say something like "Too bad you folks at home couldn't hear that lololololol."

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do it almost every episode. Why record a commentary track if half of what they say can't be heard by the audience so they have to mute it? They're obnoxious.

You know where to find them?

That'd piss me off, the whole point of commentaries is that you're getting direct insights and information not usually disclosed.

One of THE best film commentaries I ever listened to was the technical crew on Moon, which was essentially a bunch of Brit lads having the bants for two hours, pointing out nice pairs of tits in the film and namedropping companies they weren't legally supposed to mention in the hopes of endorsements. Pretty sure they were all half drunk too

>"Once you have 3 seasons of a show you can syndicate it basically forever"
I think the same way. Hell shows nowadays not even get past 2 seasons and frankly i think thats enough

I don't buy a lot of cartoons, except for the first two books of Legend of Korra, but I always watch EVERY commentary on any dvd/blu-ray I buy.

Avatar : the last airbender original dvd box set said, it had commentaries with the cast and the directors.
Commentaries only have the directors: 0 actual cast members are apart of the commentaries.
No behind the scenes special features.

>I heard the Audio Commentaries of the Zim Dvd's were amazing

I have the old Media Blasters DVDs and they really are great.

They came out I think 1 or 2 years after the show was cancelled and Nick licensed the release of the series to an outside source (Media Blasters) because they didn't give 2 shits about Zim at the time.

So the commentary tracks are completely unfiltered. The writers and directors and actors talk a lot of shit about Nick and how they got screwed, even make fun of the little "Nickelodeon" rocketship that got added to the title screen later on.

They keep the humor pretty PG, but there's some colorful stuff in there. It's obvious that Nick wasn't supervising or checking the DVDs before clearing them because they had a "fuck Zim we don't care" attitude at the time.

It says a lot that when the series set was reissued after Zim became a cult hit and merchandising empire, the commentary tracks were purged.

You are not wrong. If the goal is to make a product, stick it in a time-slot and leave it alone, 3 seasons is more than enough.

When I was younger YTV(Canadian TV channel) had the rights to the first 60 or so episodes of Inuyasha, they only showed 1 episode a week.

They'd show episodes 1 - 20 over 20 weeks, then start over, then show episodes 1 - 40 over 40 weeks, then start over... and so on.

I think it took the channel like 4 or 5 years to actually get through the whole series. I can not explain to you the rage of tuning in and hearing the opening theme from seasons 1 and knowing it was starting over again.

While not an animated show, I watched the commentary on Spider-Man 3 recently. I genuinely felt kind of bad by the end of it.
Really? I remember the most of the commentaries on the Season 1 DVD being godtier, even if they were just on four episodes.

This is untrue

There are moments of the comentary that're cut out in the middle of a conversation because the speakers have said something controversial.

And they really dance around the issue of what exactly it was that got them cancelled. Alot of what they have to say about that is Nick knob-gobbling and patting themselves on the back.

I suppose a better question is, how do you feel about FAN commentary tracks? Even when they're on official DVD releases?

I don't think I've ever heard a good one. I got the previous Transformers the Movie DVD and it came with that Japanese episode on it, Scramble City. But the audio must've been fucked up or something because it was stuck on the Fan Commentary track.

And holy shit, it was the worst. Imagine the spergiest Linkara-tier voices possible, squealing and trying to joke and talking about nothing in particular, and dropping poorly researched "trivia" that was wrong, mangling names...

Fan Commentary tracks are always awful. Luckily, most DVD companies don't do them anymore.

I have those old DVDs (that came in the little house with the Gir toy and the bonus disc).

I... haven't listened to the audio commentaries in ten years. All I remember is Richard Horvitz being so annoying he was pissing off Jhonen and the other people in the room. Also, Jhonon joking about how much he wanted to fuck Lucille Bliss.

I've listened to several of Redlettermedia's "commentary" tracks that they put up on Bandcamp. I mostly see them as loose podcasts though with the general theme of a movie, since they hardly ever mention anything on screen.

>While not an animated show, I watched the commentary on Spider-Man 3 recently. I genuinely felt kind of bad by the end of it.

I like how the old commentary from the A Series of Unfortunate Events movie was mostly the author in character, making fun of the scenes.

>It's obvious that Nick wasn't supervising or checking the DVDs before clearing them because they had a "fuck Zim we don't care" attitude at the time.

It's funny you say that but then post the DVD cover that Nickelodeon rejected because it didn't clear their content review censors.

>Fan Commentary tracks are always awful

The fake one the Coen Brothers did for Blood Simple was fantastic.

I remember listening to the commentary for the first episode of LoK and how Mike, Bryan, and Seychelle Gabriel refer to The Last Airbender movie as "the wakeboarding incident".

>And holy shit, it was the worst. Imagine the spergiest Linkara-tier voices possible, squealing and trying to joke and talking about nothing in particular, and dropping poorly researched "trivia" that was wrong, mangling names...

No joke, the Scramble City commentary track on the official DVD was between two of the moderators on the TFW2005 forums. They probably did it for free.

Yeah, get messageboard mods to do a commentary track on your DVD. See what happens.

>I watched the commentary on Spider-Man 3 recently. I genuinely felt kind of bad by the end of it.
Really? why? I listened to it a few months ago and it was pretty fun

Mostly because of how much Topher Grace knew about the comics and Venom. I was genuinely surprised.
And then I felt bad knowing how much shit he got for the role. Not like he could help it. If given the chance to play Venom, I'm not sure many of us could say no.

Other than that it was a pretty fun commentary, yeah.

A couple of the invader Zim episodes had fans along with the creators. In either case they stuttered through introductions and didn't say anything else while Richard tried to feed them easy jokes.

Do any of the shout factory DVDs have commentary tracks?

The only ones for Korra that I liked were the first two in season one. And I prefer watching behind the scenes stuff more than listening to commentaries.

Never watched with the audio commentary, but since you reminded me of it, I'll shill for this Song Exploder episode where the Korra composer explains each layer of the final song in LOK:

songexploder.net/jeremy-zuckerman