Calarts

Is this actually a good art school

Other urls found in this thread:

gobelins-school.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, why would you think that?

it's probably a good school to make connections within the industry.

"school" is debatable. But definitely a good place to buy your connections to the industry.

Art school or animation school?

You should know that most of CalArts thinks the animation department is an embarrassment. That's why they have classes in the fucking basement.

You can always go to a better art school and work to get good and then reach out to companies.
It's just 10x easier and lazier to go to Cal Arts.

Those for-profits schools (CalArts, Art Institutes, Full Sail and the like) are huge freaking scams.They doll up their advertisements to make it seem like they're great schools and provide students with standard issue knowledge of their field. But, it's all bullshit.
I went to an open house at the Art Institutes in my state; it was shit show. The software they were using was so old it was antique by industry standards( animation and video game development), the teachers were beyond full of shit, not really caring about what they were teaching. The tuition was ridiculous as well.
You'd be better off going to a local university and looking into their visual media/digital art concentration programs.

Yes

I remember reading this.
How much of it is true, though?

>implying anyone on Sup Forums knows jackshit about Cal Arts

Really, user

Who knows, but we did get the maxx from this school so I'm cool with it

>You should know that most of CalArts thinks the animation department is an embarrassment.
Prove it

Well what you're looking at is a Fine Arts degree, not an animation degree. Craft and discipline left the fine arts world decades before the animation industry even existed.

Literally anything Richard Williams says is true.

>Akira, GitS

Pleb

They are well animated though.

For people who fall for things too easily, he never said this

What animation schools are actually good

I did an MFA at a widely respected art school in San Francisco and I can tell you it's a joke.

What this says is true and is true of most subjects in art. I was in the photo department and it was fucking hilarious. Almost none of them had a strong understanding of how their camera worked or even a relatively rudimentary lighting. My experience with the painters and drawers was the same. Very few actually knew their craft and it seemed that they focused on learning how to talk it off as art rather than address their lack of skill. The only department that was hardcore about actually learning their genre was the print makers. Those guys took it far, it was like their fetish. Do a visit with a school, make sure it has some serious drawing classes, and meet the professors who will teach you.

Looks so floaty.

[citation needed]

>Art Institutes
Don't put Art Institutes in the same category with other art schools. They're a well known scam that was investigated by the federal government and don't reflect most colleges even a little.

That said, a lot(read:nearly all) colleges are expensive unless they're state run and then the quality tends to not be there. A friend of mine went to one of the state colleges and says the professors give less than a shit and often just fuck off during class.

At least around here, the art schools I've visited have very good staff and equipment. One has a room full of a cintiqs.
This. I don't know how much has changed since then, but generally a fine arts degree is going to be rubbish, but something like illustration or animation shouldn't be nearly as bad(read: shouldn't. It's going to vary from school to school).

As you might have noted, the story specifically mentions computer animation students. So not every school is on the up and up thanks to recent art history being a massive shitshow. Thanks, Duchamp!
That sucks man. What school? DESU I'm more interested in Art Center than Calarts, you know anything about it?

Sounds like you all like Tom Preston than 60fps

I doubt most students or faculty think of the animation department is an embarrassment; and most of the classes aren't in the basement.

There's a diff between for-profit private schools and not-for-profit private schools. Art Institutes and Full Sail are for-profit private, CalArts and other places like Art Center (In Pasadena) are not-for-profit private.

Different user, but what do you want to go to Art Center for?

I don't and probably won't because I'm poor as fuck and I'm probably going to attend local schools to save cash, but a lot of good artists have come out of Art Center, i.e. James Gurney, Drew Struzan, Syd Mead, so I'm just kind of generally interested.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

I want to go to calarts for animation, but I'm not sure if it's worth trying considering I'm a Mexican from
Mexico.

All of this is from what I've heard and read, so there are probably people better than me to tell you about the school.

Art Center is really technical when it comes to how they teach, which is why they have people with such amazing technical skill coming out of it. For commercial art, they have two different schools: Illustration (With a focus on Entertainment Arts track) and Entertainment Design (With majors in Concept Design and Character Animation). I don't know who graduated from what, but usually their Concept Design major is the toughest one to get into, since they recently started accepting more people into their Illustration program, and their Character Animation program is so new. If you're interested in seeing the work of people going into like the Concept Design major, just search like "Art Center Concept Design Portfolio" and you'll get a fuck load of results.

You can always look at applying though, and see if their financial aid if able to help you out enough?

in the end it's all portfolio and contacts

gobelins-school.com

He's right though it does kind of look "floaty"

Their movements are rather unnatural. Probably still considered good for the time period though.

Ok
Now name a good one in the US

It still is good though

You're an idiot.

This is so true. We don't even have a regular drawing class after first year which teaches you just a basics of learning depth and being able to mark make using various items. In second year drawing which was called "Drawing in the expanded field" which meant anything goes. The fucking post modern world has killed drawing from life. Now, literally anything is considered "drawing", even a fucking performance piece. In the entire second year of art school we had 4 classes of drawing from a nude model, we had like a month of dealing with how to make a landscape, but after that it was just working on our projects. Now in my third year "drawing" is literally just 3 hour work classes with a 50 min class for the prof to show off a technique and for us to make the time to practice it if we want because it doesn't matter. So far we had 2 classes of drawing from a model so I'm gonna guess this semester will be the same. Next year they're introducing a new format where students can pick almost any course they want so they can just ignore learning how to draw altogether.

I fucking love print and it's true. You gotta be OCD to be a printer. Follow the guidelines and your prints will turn out fine and only break away if you know what you're doing.

good meme

Art Center grad here. It's kind of what you make of it so don't be fooled by the massive amounts of advertising. Every school will say that they're the best.

Art Center (and its location) is crazy overpriced like most design schools, and I still say that as someone who got on scholarship. Most of the graduating class come from wealthy families. That's not really a coincidence, and I noticed a lot of students with poor income or no financial support dropping out despite being wickedly talented. It's a tough as hell school with a just as tough tuition bill.

My advice is attend a state or community college to get GE credits out of the way (call the schools you're interested in to see what specific credits they accept) and then transfer to Art Center, Calarts, wherever.

And this goes without saying but don't ever go for a Fine Arts degree. Do a Industrial Design or some kind of Design degree at LEAST.

Forgot to mention credit transfer, but good advice. If anyone does do this then just make 100% sure that the credits you take will transfer. Some schools/ majors (private) don't accept transfer credit, it's really hard to transfer, or they only accept specific classes. Most colleges, transfer credit depends on how the school is accredited.