What are some GOOD samurai movies?

What are some GOOD samurai movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wSRylVSfxyw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Blade Runner 2049 go to your local theatre and watch it NOW trust me.

The last samurai with Tom cruise

The Samurai trilogy.
The early Zatoichi films, there is a lot of these.

>Dokko Pabero, I'm shiiaiei.

Any jidaigeki films directed by Kurosawa.

that Sandshrew episode of Pokemon's 1st season

the magnificent seven

all of the lone wolf and cub movies

youtube.com/watch?v=wSRylVSfxyw

avoid this

Thats a western, user

RAN

Define "good."

>ctrl+f, yojimbo, no results

yojimbo

Weren't these guys turbomanlets irl?

Uh, you don't get to bring the Bakufu.

This is your brain on memes.

A personal favorite of mine is 'Bandits vs Samurai Squad'. I would also recommend Sonny Chiba movies, especially ones where he plays Japanese folk hero Yagyu Jubei. His movies are real fun action films. As for recent recs, Id say '13 Assassins' from Takashi Miike, its got a very slow burn first half that goes into the planning of a military plot, but once it picks up it never stops.

yeah, everyone in europe were 5'5 lankies in comparison

honestly this movie is overrated as fuck, there were tons of samurai films that were pretty much equal to this that get no recognition despite being from the same time or before.

Kurosawa is kino but entry level, btw.

the guy above me sucks

Accurate

Nothing wrong with that.

Akira Kurosawa is the King of Samurai movies all of his are great

yup, I like Kitano but thought this sucked

This is my favorite, also Yojimbo for something a little lighter. Was kinda bored during Seven Samurai 2bh, also didn't love the Yojimbo sequel.

>dem daemotrips

You're absolutely right, sir.

Correct.

>european knights
>6' tall

nice bait

>Europeans were 6'5 500 years ago
lol

also Samurai were a group of parasites holding their country back, pic related did nothing wrong

>asian
>lived centuries ago
No shit they were manlets.

lts all due to their diet as a people.

Charlemagne was around 6'5.

It's not realistic at all, but the Rurouni Kenshin live action movies are pretty decent.

They're not my shoguns

IMHO, that is an enjoyable as hell movie. The only thing I didnt like was the line about true samurai not using guns, pop culture BS.

if true that would probably make him the tallest person in the world at the time, it certainly wouldn't be representative

there was probably a freakishly tall Japanese guy too

He was a big guy

ベーン?

God tier movie. I saw it in Africa

He was also made of gold

PABERU HAKASE-SAN
WATASHI WA SHIAIEI DESU

Pic related. Also, Hari-Kiri: Death of a Samurai.

yakuza movies are better to be perfectly honest

name some good ones then

>inb4 tokyo drifter or yakuza papers

You can literally have both in the same movie. Hideo Gosha's films for example.

sonatine
outrage
yakuza papers

bad

>watch Seven Samurai with my little sister
>I know what will happen so I won't cry
>try my hardest not to tear up
>make it through like half of the movie

>fucking funeral scene
>Kikuchiyo runs and puts the flag up on the hut
It fucking rained

At least I turned off the lights beforehand so I could cry silently in the darkness

yamada's twilight samurai, the hidden blade, and love and honor. all pretty good

Forgot my image

Kagemusha also made me cry btw

NINJA TURTLES 3 is the only answer

Recommend some user.
Also I haven't watched them yet but a lot of anons recommended 13 samurai, Kagemusha and Sword of Doom.

Hara-Kiri (either version, they're virtually the same)

Samurai Fiction

Any Kurosawa samurai film

13 Assassins

The Samurai Trilogy

Love and Honor / Twilight Samurai / The Hidden Blade

The Sea is Waiting is good, although it isn't as samurai heavy as it is just a good movie where samurai are present

When The Last Blade is Drawn

Sword of Doom

Samurai Rebellion

Warriors of Heaven and Earth has an samurai character who is the best part, although it is in China and the ending is crap

Red Sun (Mifune + Charles Bronson!)

Why are samurai generally shown to be honorable and stoic? When many of them were really just violent authoritative people?

Because the ideal samurai is honorable and stoic.

There are plenty of angry violent authorative samurai in the movies I've seen, but they are not good samurai

He was noted on many occasions as being very tall and broad so it's entirely possible he was one of the biggest people around. He also led campaigns into his 70s. Shame his sons were retarded.

twilight samurai is pretty good because it has an antagonist samurai who is a drunken, boorish lout.

13 Assassins has a truly reprehensible samurai minister and his aid isn't evil, but he is dedicated to his job and lets some awful things happen

The Shinsemsgumi of history were genuinely tough customers and the rebels they fought were far from casual about their propensity for murder (Sword of Doom has the Sinsengumi, as does When the Last Sword if Drawn)

This and Kagemusha are some of my favorites.

how would you know how samurais were you piece of shit

Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mempo.

That is certainly their romanticized perspective. In history, if we're talking Tokugawa Shogunate samurai, they sort of went to some extremes to uphold honor since ... well ... they didn't have war and they had to live up to unreasonable Bushido ideals.

Samurai before the Tokugawa was more a job than a hereditary position. Toyotomi Hideyoshi had been a sandal scrub before becoming an important warlord, and he changed the rules about who could/couldn't become samurai which the Tokugawa kept in place.

They are romanticised, especially in the West. Most Samurai fiction I've come across from Japan has been pretty good at not making them saints. I can't outright recall any Samurai manga,anime,or movie that has portrayed as dindu nuffins. Even when I recall animu like Samurai X, didn't go that route.

Samurai X / Trust and Betrayal are some of the best animated depictions of how harsh it was being both a rebel and a loyalist

Samurai were literally gangsters

that being said, asia culture had really nice things in the aristocratic edo era, weiqi houses for example

i bet you think the illiad is real

Well I said it's an ideal, not an every day fact of life

You seem interested in this type of stuff, can you recommend a book on the Sengoku period?
I only know broad strokes with Takeda/Oda/Ieyasu and would like to at least read one book on the subject

Dude we have Charlemagnes bones that's pretty fucking far removed from the Iliad

Anything by Stephen Turnbull (Sengoku stuff is his thing, he's been writing and publishing for ages now)

Look up content through the Osprey series if you like more practical guides to tactics, warlords, forts, etc...

A great book is "The World Turned Upside Down: Medieval Japanese Society"

Ghost dog.

Also, I love the Shinsengumi and if you want the Meiji period read:

Shinsengumi: the shogun's last samurao corps

and

The Last Shogun: The Life of Tokugawa Yoshinobu

? its fucking fantastic
I loved the old, big arsed ,Zatoichi and i also loved this

Thank you, I will make sure to check those out

Pre-Hideyoshi they used ashigaru in battles, literally peasant conscripts
Hideyoshi himself rose from humble origins to become the taiko so obviously he didn't want some other rice farmer fag to be the next upstart and basically abolished the whole tradition and banned peasants from carrying arms at all iirc
But there'd already been an actual noble warrior class for ages by then though

2nd these
all strong shows and with added feels

You're obviously not wrong, I guess my point was just that the ability for a person to be a 'warrior who protects his lord' has more in's/out's than what it eventually became.

Hideyoshi's sandal game was on point

letters from iwo jima

Can a kind user compile these recommendations in an image?

are there details of how and when he began his rise to power, or is there literally nothing due to being just a filthy peasant at the time?

His exploits as soon as he worked under Nobunaga are rather well documented, and everything AFTER Nobunaga's death is pretty well documented.

It was more of an idea created by Edo samurai themselves after over a century of uselessness in peacetime. The later Edo samurai had viery little to do with the Sengoku samurai, culturally speaking. All they had was bureaucracy, political influence, and a few weirdos wanking over Zen.

Is there a bad samurai movie?

this is a comfy thread. I'm surprised the DUDE WEEBS LMAO fags haven't shit it up yet.

kuroneko is a good one. portrays samurai as assholes. harakiri (kobayashi) too, which portrayed them as hypocritical elitists.

Oh god, so many shitty jidaigeki.

which books should i look after to learn more about that? I'm curious as to what kind of exploits were remarkable enough to make him rise from literal ashigaru to one of nobunaga's most trusted retainers

>tfw samurai katana were so sharp they literally split the atom twice in their mad kamikaze strikes to drive the americans from hiroshima and nagasaki

I actually just came across this one:

Hideyoshi (Harvard East Asian Monographs)
by Mary Elizabeth Berry

>88 posts
>no pic related
Sup Forums is truly a place for plebians.

Japanese movies are like movies made anywhere else. Most are shit.

This reminds me:

Sansho the Baliff is good

The Life of Oharu

The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums

Sesostris III was 6'6", tall people existed, user.

This movie is very good if you can handle the fact that it's fuckin 4 hours long.

Also:

The Samurai Revolution Trilogy

>spends his time posting on Sup Forums about movies
>can't actually sit through one of the best on ever made
Hang yourself.

has anyone said TMNT III yet

yes

Gate of Hell should also be on a list