The gems in Steven Universe

Are they really lesbians? People both like and dislike the show because the gems are supposedly gay, but people also say they don't have gender. Which is it?

Also, some quotes from a Q & A with the creator:

Q: Is there any particular reason the Gems use feminine pronouns if gender is irrelevant to them? I would understand if it were just more convenient.
A: There's a 50 50 chance to use some pronoun on Earth, so why not feminine ones-- it's as convenient as it is arbitrary!

Q: Will we ever get an explanation in the show why Gems have the form of human females? If not, could you explain why?
A: Why not look like human females? That's just what Gems happen to look like!

Pastebin source: pastebin.com/TJadRsiB

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BOhgAM2CvTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>There's a 50 50 chance to use some pronoun on Earth
This triggers me. There are at least 60 known pronouns to humankind, and science keeps discovering new ones every day.

To be honest, females allow for more different character designs. Try to draw Garnet with a similar design as a male; it won't work.

Here's another interesting post.

DO NOT BELIEVE MATT'S LIES

if you look at the various body type of the gems, not all of them look feminine

Jasper and Bismuth had both very masculine bodies

meanwhile Peridot and the Rubies are pretty much androgynous

>these answers which can only be taken as facetious
Sometimes I feel like tweeting Ian "Dude your girlfriend is a closet fag bro"

he seems to be the most sane person on the crew

>people still try to claim that steven universe isn't SJW: The Cartoon

A race of all female, humanoid aliens is a common trope in science fiction. It wasn't confusing to people 50 years ago, and it's not confusing to people now.
It's only confusing to you, because you're retarded.

They're all still referred to as female though. And people say the show is progressive for having lesbians, but then they say the gems have no gender.

I was pointing out what the writers said about them not having gender. They're clearly female, but they (and many fans) insist that they're not. If you didn't understand that then you're retarded boy.

They are not female in a human sense, since they aren't organic being that reproduce, just like female looking robots aren't female either. So to us, as humans, using human terminology, they aren't female, and doesn't have genders since they don't reproduce, and only have one "mode". But they are female to themselves. Something that doesn't normally have a gender, choosing a gender they feel fitting for themselves, based on the genders that humans use, when they come in contact with humans, is also a common trope.

>it's as convenient as it is arbitrary!

The credo of the noncommittal liberal these days.

Pearl wanted Rose, Ruby and Sapphire are lovers, and fusing is sex. They're lesbians. They also claim "genderless," but every single gem save for Steven's half-gem ass looks, talks, and acts like a female.

BUT everyone involved in the show is a huge pussy and won't come out and admit any of that. Even Ian here uses the "by human standards" line to instill just enough deniability. "Sure, I said it was indefinite, but it ~REALLY~ means something different in Gemworld!"

And for as much praise as this show gets for being so pro-LGBTQX?, it's all just assumption and teasing and *wink wink* moments. Sure, Sugar came out as bi, but it's basically a free pass to enjoy all the adoration of being queer without ever having to actually lick a single carpet.

Not trying to disrespect gay people here, because they deserve happiness and role models all the same. But I might suggest brightly colored space rocks whose goal posts move on a near daily basis that haven't even been shown displaying significant romantic affection (more than a hand hold or hug like that Korra bullshit,) aren't the best ones.

>haven't even been shown displaying significant romantic affection

Affection, sure, but not romantic affection. I mean, not kissing. Friends can do all that other stuff and you can still retain deniability. Kissing is the ultimate romantic show of affection and the most direct way you could/would tell the audience "these two are not just friends/teammates/roommates/consider each other family."

The romantic intent is pretty obvious, but it's never been actually confirmed in what they say or what they do.

>That's just what Gems happen to look like

Reaaaaally.

If the resemblance between gems and humans doesn't become a plot point, I will write a letter in no uncertain terms.

>BUT everyone involved in the show is a huge pussy and won't come out and admit any of that

They can't, really. If they established it, some organization would find a way to take the show off the air. And it's not like it's on the air that much.

Dude, I don't even watch the show and I've seen some of the Sapphire and Ruby stuff. That's definitely romantic affection.

>They are not female in a human sense, since they aren't organic being that reproduce, just like female looking robots aren't female either.

Did you just blow in from Tumblr, or have you actually sat down and watched it in a critical manner?

I mean, come on, your logic is so flawed, it makes me question if you even watched the first three episodes.

Using your statements, please, explain to me who Rose Quartz is and how she fits in to the ideas you spout based solely on your logic.

>One individual used magic to have an offspring
>This must mean that they as a race normally reproduce, even if they've literally said they don't
I think you might be brain dead. You should see a doctor about that.

I should hope so - I never kiss tears off the cheeks of my best friend.

You'll admit it's a little odd that they do appear female instead of genderless altogether.

>since they aren't organic being that reproduce

Your words; not mine.

If the gems were officially all female, the series would be illegal to sell in quite a few countries.

In universe: non-binary aliens who mostly present as females to human sensibilities
Out of universe: they represent fucking lesbians
>closet

>People actually still defend the writer's fence-sitting

At least
and bring up valid points instead of just insulting people pointing out the obvious.

>I should hope so - I never kiss tears off the cheeks of my best friend.
>He doesn't know kissing best friend tears guarantees you get hella pussy 5ever

WeW awful lot of virgins on Sup Forumsmblr these days. Really makes u think

They aren't fence-sitting, though.
They are stating their positions quite clearly.
You just don't like their positions.
They are basically girly Transformers.
Transformers were also alien non-biological life-forms arbitrarily adopting one of the two flavors humans come in.
Because humans don't relate to exotic identity constructs well. We want the gender binary. We want things to be like us so we can understand them.
And yes, SU is maneuvering around censorship with their not-lesbians.
But that doesn't mean the stuff they say is wrong. It's certainly not contradictory.

So if you touched a gem would they feel hard like a stone or soft like a person?

Did the 80's transformers fuck on the side too? I mean, maybe thats the reason starscream got away with so much shit.

likely whatever the story board called for. This show is very inconstant with lore and concepts.

>Are they really lesbians?

>Yes, they are. But no, not really. But yeah they actually are. But no, they're genderless. But yeah, they are very, very gay for eachother. But no, its all platonic. But yeah they fuck eachother every night. Just kidding, they just fuse, which is totally not gem sex, its about relationships.

The oficial answer as long as the show runs will be "No guys, *wink wink* they are not lesbians, what gave you that idea?"

After the show ends it will be a long and masturbatory speech about how brave they were about showing lesbians on cartoons and how fusion its really just sex and how clever they were that they got away with it. But, in the opinion of this user, they werent brave nor clever, they puss out every step of the way in every regard not just the gender shit.

80's transformers did full scale orgies that were so powerful it could destroy a city

The gem is a gem.
Their bodies, on the other hand, can be as hard or as soft as they want.

I assume it's like Superman's skin. Feels like regular ass skin, but if you try to hit him you're more likely to injure yourself than him.

If they said "Yes." the show would likely get cancelled.

Tumblr blogs are not science.

Why do Gems have romances, since they don't reproduce? It doesn't make any sense evolutionary-wise.

They don't. The Crystal Gems are considered deviants and degenerates by the Gem Homeworld.

Fusion isn't sex. The writers are not depraved enough to imply that Steven fucked his big sister figure.

Fusion i-isn't sex you guys. Every gem simply gets jealous at the other for fusing and it's often the reason for the episodial bitching but it's not sex, okay?

Rebecca Sugar has drawn little 12 year old boys having buttsex, bitch is probably depraved enough

jasper is masculine, but she's still obviously female. look at those hips.

bismuth doesn't really resemble a human at all, more like a stone golem or something. so she can be femme as well.

gems are emotional beings, romance is a given.

the real question is who the hell created the gems? why would you ever make sentient powerful beings that colonize planets to reproduce and have emotions arguably more intense than humans? like, that's just a bad idea.

Oh yeah, the eddy and double d pic. I tried to repress it. Where's Mike Pence when you need him?

Just like Piccolo from Dragonball is referred to as a male, despite coming from a genderless race

He even laid several eggs for crying out loud!

SJWs disowned the show because it told them they can be wrong too

>There are at least 60 known pronouns to humankind, and science keeps discovering new ones every day.
What?

leave E;R

If all gems are genderless then why don't any gems take on male traits?

just going to explain it in a way that even a numskull can understand it

>This is not a female
>this is a machine with no real gender
She is however referred to as female, because she looks and sounds like one

GET IT?

the same could be said for the irkens.

the in-universe implication is that they are some sort of a virus

they do

Why does tumblr complain if someone "whitewashes" a rock from outer space?

This !
However...
This may be a little too complex for small children and parents have the right to be worried and not like it.
Especially with all those LGBTQWERTY people attacking people everywhere.

because Tumblr is retarded

at least the creators told those people to fuck-off

My feelings exactly.

But Jenny self-identifies as female.

No, his father did.

I don't think I've ever seen such an awful design

That's the headcanon for I'd say about 50% of the fandom.

They didn't evolve, they were created as slaves. I strongly suspect, by humans.

Hundreds of Pearls, though. Not thousands. Or millions.Just what IS the gem population number?

>TFW the total number of gems in the universe is less than a million

Some do.

Sugar has probably made her own LarsxSteven lewd comics like the shotacon loving degenerate she is.

...Sure, and of course for that you pick Lars...

Lars, who hates everything and everybody, especially himself...

So do the gems.

>by humans
Confirmed for not watching the show.

I wonder how much the gems (are supposed to) know about human sexual relations?

Rose said it took a while before they grasped the concept of human infants.

I mean Pearl probably knows all about the technical side of it... but I doubt Amethyst does. Or Garnet, for that matter.

...I kinda want to know more about Sapphire. So far, her only defining qualities are her clairvoyance and her love for Ruby. But what does she like to do otherwise? Or did, anyway. I can imagine Ruby not having much of a social life due to her low station and the fact she always used to be around other Rubies, and she didn't even identify as an individual before, so her definition of a funtime activity probably involved punching stuff.

>indefinitely

Unsurprising that someone looking for sexuality in a children's show uses words incorrectly. Very immature.

No, I have watched all episodes, quite a few repeatedly. But
1) We don't actually know where they originate, even if their homeworld is currently in Andromeda
2) They are artificial
3) They look human. In fact the only way you can tell them from humans at a glance is their color and their gem, and Pearl could pass very easily.

So my personal headcanon is that they were made by humans, on Earth, a long time ago, as slaves; until they rebelled and left the planet. Human society had come to rely on them to such an extent it collapsed and reverted to barbarism.

It's a stretch, perhaps, but dramatically sound, and it explains why they look human.

Lars is one of her OCs from before Steven Universe and one of her favorites

Doubt Sapphire was allowed to do much else, being an aristocratic gem.

>looking for sexuality

Be honest now. You don't have to look very hard.

youtube.com/watch?v=BOhgAM2CvTo

A rock is about as lesbian as a dildo.

Well, okay, but what did she like to do? Singing, probably. Would the diamonds outlaw music?

Gems don't need to eat, so snack food and candy are out, and their clothing and footwear are a part of their physical form. I don't think I've ever seen any indication that the gems bathe. And the Crystal Gems didn't know what sleeping is until Steven explained it (although they did grow exhausted, so what do gems normally do when that happens?).

So what do they do for fun? Games of skill, I suppose.. and art. That's pretty much it.

Oh, god, man... they're not rocks! THEY'RE MINERALS!

Jesus fucking Christ, I stand corrected.

So let's see, in a 2 minute clip we had yelling, two characters crying, talking about feelings, and a genderless alien make-out session.

What a horrible show. No wonder it's attracted a toxic fanbase.

The Homeworld Gems arrived on Earth (to colonise it) thousands of years ago, while humans were still very primitive.

Pearl once said something like "I remember you humans were always 'hunting' and 'gathering'... Whatever happened to that?"

Probably never got anything she liked to do, she just always worked for Blue Diamond.

It doesn't fucking matter. They're cartoon characters.

You would feel that way seeing an emotional scene out of context.

it's okay, the best couple in the series is still basically strait

I'm pretty sure I'd feel that way regardless of context.

I mean, what context could you provide that would evidence that the show isn't all yelling, crying, talking about feelings and shitty ukulele songs? Are there any episodes that don't feature most of those things?

Guys, the core of the problem lies in that this person here doesn't believe in subtlety, or in leaving things implicit. This person may be an autist too, so don't gang up on him too bad.

Well then, the show just isn't for you, I guess.

I would suggest that it was different bipedal species that created the gems. For whatever event happened, they died off leaving the gems to conquer the galaxy as they see fit.

It makes sense that this precursor race would create a synthetic being that looks like them. It allows a relation to be more easily established.

You actually seem normal. What are you doing in this thread?

This is the actual real answer right here. I imagine the creators don't talk in riddles about the gender of the characters when they're not speaking publicly.

Bored.

By "not strictly romantic" he doesn't mean "sexual." He means the whole gamut of what a relationship is. Garnet says it best in "Stronger Than You" when she calls herself "a conversation." A fusion is the intersection of two different independent personalities, a point where those two people come together and make a third.

>What a horrible show.

But it's not. It's really quite sweet.

I have never understood the hate it gets from some people.

Read 'Guns, germs and steel'... that lifestyle has persisted until quite recently, in parts of the world. So we''re not entirely sure how long ago the gems came to Earth - only that it is more than 6000 years ago. And probably not very much more than that, because I can't imagine they just stood around for millennia before they started colonization in earnest, and also that colonization itself would have taken thousands of years.

Anatomically modern humans have existed for at least 200,000 years. Maybe longer. So let's say that humans had already attained a level of technological sophistication comparable to ours 100,000 years ago, and developed artificial intelligence, which then became more and more sophisticated, until it resulted in the last word in power and versatility: the gems. No clumsy mechanical bodies, but a tiny crystalline computer core, which you could put in your pocket even, and activate like a Pokémon when you needed a servant, a means of transport or a house.
But humans came to depend on them more and more (of course) until the gems ran everything and humans did nothing but live lives of leisure. It would only need a single gem developing a programming flaw to ultimately result in a systemwide breakdown. The gems wouldn't have to actually rise up against their masters - they could simply leave. Without them, the humans could not function... there was a massive die-back, and the survivors were back in the stone age. Until they eventually rose back up to where we are now. Meanwhile, the gems in outer space eventually forgot they had ever been slaves - maybe they even deliberately made themselves forget - and set out to create their own society, until creator and creation met up again. Why Andromeda? Well, perhaps they just wanted to get as far away from us as they could...

All the time? 24/7? Would that even be possible? Then Blue Diamond would just keep her by her side. Besides, such foresight would soon make itself obsolete, once absolute control had been attained.

the "homo" in homosexual basically means "same", in other words a species that only has one sex would be automatically homosexual.

>the show isn't all yelling, crying, talking about feelings and shitty ukulele songs

Some of it is about fighting and making peace with the world at stake. There is also Lapis, who never yells, cries, talks about her feelings or sings.

I used to dislike Lapis, but I dig her now. She doesn't try to be liked.

Think of the dramatic aspect: this is a cartoon show, after all. It's much more dramatic if it turns out humanity made the gems DUN DUN DUUUUNN!
Imagine poor Pearl's face.

...they'd find a stele depicting scenes of humans commanding gems. Including recognizable Pearls and Quartzes, all gems, really, except for Diamonds.

Ironically, the gem equivalent of being gay is fusing with someone who is not of your caste or type.

>gems don't have a gender
>ignore they fact they're voiced by women, are drawn to look like women, act like women, are given female pronouns, are referred to as women by non-gems, are often called women in fan media and by the shows creators and everyone pisses themselves in unbridled rage if a "male" gem is suggested

Lapis has yelled multiple times.

>>gems don't have a gender
>>ignore they fact they're voiced by women, are drawn to look like women, act like women, are given female pronouns, are referred to as women by non-gems, are often called women in fan media and by the shows creators and everyone pisses themselves in unbridled rage if a "male" gem is suggested

And the fact that one got laid and had a kid, which is literally both the title and the plot of the show.