What's a good starting point for someone who has never read X-Men comics before?

What's a good starting point for someone who has never read X-Men comics before?

My only experience with them are the cartoons and movies

Grant Morrison's New X-Men starting in 2001 for the modern stuff or Claremont's Giant Sized X-Men #1 followed by Uncanny X-Men issue 94 for the famous classic era.

Run while you still can!

this event called Ultimatum is very centered around Magneto and you should definitely read it

I've heard Ultimate X-men is good

It has aged EXTREMELY poorly.

That's not a good starting point though, that's only interesting after you've read a lot and see the fun little changes it makes with the characters.

the easy mode answer is to start with Morrison, who wrote New X Men from 2000 to 2004 if I recall correctly.
You only need to know 2 things to understand all of that run.
-Magneto was the ruler of a mutant country called Genosha, like an Israel for mutants.
-Emma Frost at that point had been a super villain most of her history. from 1980 to 1994, and only a hero from 1994 on, so she wasnt trusted completely by other heroes.

-the completionist hard mode answer is to start with Claremont. He wrote the x men for 17 years, from the mid 70s to 1991, he created most characters, most famous stories, and turned them into the most popular best selling comic book for two decades.

Start at the beginning and enjoy a few hundred issues of camp and then Claremont before it all spirals out of control.

>What's a good starting point
The trash, then work your way towards the toilet.

dont follow this advice
60s x men is to claremont x men what Street Fighter 1 is to Street Fighter 2. Avoid it.

Now that's a comparison I can understand

It's even better because it's complete nonsense.

What if I started with new X-Men and went back? I'm hesitant to start from the VERY beginning

Don't start from the very beginning. Its like wanting to read all of the The Amazing Spider man 1-700 you have to slog through about 100 issues before anything interesting happens.

Pay your dues but don't waste you time either

it is completely possible, no problem at all.

Do not read X-men backward. There's too much baggage. Pick a starting point and go. If you want to read earlier issues later, jump back to a major break point like Claremont arriving and work forward.

Whedons arc is an alright starting point.

I think it references Claremont X-Men too much.
You have "Shaw" in that picture, Kitty quips at Emma constantly for her past as a super villain, + the Colossus Kitty romance.

Morrison New X Men is better imo, although Whedon should be read immediately after Morrisons run, and House of M should be read after Whedons run.

OP here

I found Morrison's New X-Men but it starts from #114

Is that just how it starts?

This was the more innocent age when Marvel didn't renumber every six months.

Start with the late 70s stuff. End with the late 80s/early 90s
Avoid anything after 2010.

So it's fine to start at #114 I assume?

Awesome, thanks!

Read starting with the Pheonix saga starting after issue 101, that's when it gets good. A few issues after that is Days of Future Past, after that The Brood. Probably the greatest period of X-Men ever.

Yes, up to/including #154 + the 2001 annual.

Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone who responded too!

Morrison's X-Men is shit.

You want to start with Giant Size X-Men 1, followed by Uncanny X-Men 94 onwards

Don't listen to , Morrison's run is important regardless of your opinion of its quality because it still informs most runs after it for Cyclops, Emma, and the Institute itself.

start with claremont's run and read like Season 1 or Children of The Atom if you want a feel for the original five

thing is, the original run is such a slog and the characters all kind of suck

Marvel comics have generally been shit since the turn of the century so I don't get why that would even matter

just read every issue of X-Anything that Marvel prints and become an ultra jaded X-Fag like the rest of us.

Easy mode...

>Watch the 90's cartoon.
Read
>The Twelve
>Search For Cyclops
>Morrisons New X-Men
Don't stop reading until you get to AvX consequences.

If you go any further you'll be triggered.

>...what Street Fighter 1 is to Street Fighter 2. Avoid it.

First off, nice digits, Kek speaks through you.

B) I hope you don't mind, I'm stealing this allegory.

There is no good place, all roads eventually lead to madness, addiction and perpetual disappointment of the current era of the X-Office. But if you have no life, Claremont.

The entire run is just watered down recycled fanfic of the Claremont years, so in a sense it's perfect for noobs who don't know better. You only get pissed when you see all the shit in perspective.

Chris Clameront run, Grant Morrison run and the whole Messiah arc. Avoid bendisshit like plague.