What are some good Disney comics? Is there even anything worth reading that isn't by Dan Rosa or Carl Barks?

What are some good Disney comics? Is there even anything worth reading that isn't by Dan Rosa or Carl Barks?

Other urls found in this thread:

coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=D 99171
coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=D 2002-194
coa.inducks.org/issue.php?c=us/DD 335#c
coa.inducks.org/subseries.php?c=Shambor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

most Disney comics are at least decent

Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse work

William Van Horn does good work

>Dan Rosa
KEK! It's DON

Anyways, Norwegian here, used to buy every single Donald Duck issue from 1998-2005 plus more, ended up with close to, if not more than 500 issues

There's a lot of good stuff as long as you just take it for what it is, carefree weirdness
You can find anything from parodies of The Shining or Star Wars to Donald/Mickey crossovers about saving the world from an ancient sorcerer or just day-to-day issues like what to buy your GF for birthday or first day at a new job gone bad.

Vicar drew a lot of funny stories, though i don't think he wrote them, but they were still well made. There used to be at least one story drawn by him in ever single issue, though he's dead now

Dan Rosa and Carl Barks are overrated hacks

Bite your tongue!

Half of that is true.

I'm not sure if you're implying that only one of them is an overrated hack or that they're overrated but not hacks.

Daniel Brancas artwork and stories about Donald Daily life being an asshole to neighbours and friends is a good read.

They've started to bring PKNA to America under the title Duck Avenger.

Have you even tried looking.
The italian comics alone are enough to flood your senses.

This. While reading Barks I realized a lot of what I associated with Franco-Belgian comics came from him. I couldn't help seeing Maurice Tilleaux.

Gottfredson on the other hand is an obvious influence on the manga of Osamu Tezuka. If you love Tezuka then you will love Gottfredson.

they're underrated hacks

I want to get some Donald Duck comics, thinking of one of those hardback ones

Which should I get to start with?

there are a shitton, the problem is that they're not translated

Now, that Shining-parody sounds intriguing. Is it available somewhere for us, non-norwegian speakers?

Many italian comics (Pk, Double Duck, X-Mickey, ecc..).

Is there a mega map or something for translated italian stuff?

>Gottfredson on the other hand is an obvious influence on the manga of Osamu Tezuka. If you love Tezuka then you will love Gottfredson.

The Phantom Blot volume of the Floyd Gottfredson LIbrary actually has an article by a Tezuka scholar, talking about Gottfredson's influence on him and showing even panel layouts and character designs that Tezuka borrowed from Floyd!

Aren't Vicar's stories usually pretty generic.

I hate the stories where a vegetable or Donald turns into a monster they threatens to destroy Duckburg. They are all the same, and the concept wasn't good to begin with.

Depends on what you are after. There are many good Donald Duck comics, but not all may be to your taste.

This story was pretty serious:
coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=D 99171
Don't know if the site becomes in English for others, is in Norwegian for me.
"The Rise and Fall of Donald Duck"
But it's almost impossible to find, only released once or something.

Marco Rota has absolutely wonderful drawings, and he's pretty good overall.

You'll discover the good stories by buying weekly and just reading everything, and sometimes there is something good, and often there is a story or two in the magazine that's good and entertaining. It's hard to seek out everything, no one has a list where things are ranked according to quality. Day to day conversations usually go like "do you remember that story where Donald..." and then the people will talk about that story

Also, i guess i should've mentioned Marco Rota, he often has lengthy stories, like when Scrooge's money bin gets turned into an ocean
His stories are also easier to find, i think

I'm pretty sure most of these are originally English, and i think this one was drawn by Vicar, so probably

I don't have any info right now, but i'll see what i can find, so i'm bumping this thread in the meantime

As i said, it's good as long as you take it for what it is
I actually think i can name three stories about vegetable monsters off the top of my head

But yeah, Rota is also good. Though i think many of the stories went a bit over my head when i was a kid

though there really aren't that many flashbacks to other stories, as most aren't connected with others

That ocean story was really good.
I also like many of his stories about that fort in Scotland protecting against viking raids.

I can only remember two vegetable stories, the tomato one and the asparagus one. There is also the one about the chemistry set that comes to life. And there are some were Donald is the moster, like the one where he takes that thing to make him sick when he gets angry.

It may just be that I don't like that genre. I also don't like time travel stories where they visit close past, like famous things that happened a few hundred years ago. Those are uninteresting.

It's not that I demand grand scale super ambitious stories, many of the Nordic stories are pretty good, as long as they don't take place in Nordic countries, but rather regular Duckburg. For example, Kari Korhonen makes things that don't attempt to do some really grand things over dozens of pages, but he still makes them unique, with some good comedy and they are never the super predictable, generic stuff I associate with Vicar. The same with Olaf Solstrand, the stories are easy to recognize as regular Donald Duck stories, but they tend to be better than the generic filler stories.
You can't expect epic scale adventures every week, but it'd really be to prefer if all stories were of this quality.

I actually did find it The Quacking, released in USA in 2005
Link: coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=D 2002-194
coa.inducks.org/issue.php?c=us/DD 335#c

>fort in Scotland protecting against viking raids
Although i like vikings, i never got the taste for that stuff, don't know exactly why

As for vegetables, i thought of that Tomato one, a three-parter where the boys go camping, and end up throwing some chemicals at a potatoeplant or something, and it tries eating the other kids, and one where Gyro made a living bush to fight against pollution, but it ended up destroying any un-natural things it came across

Timetravel is sometimes interesting, but i can't think of any i liked right now

Another one-shot stories i liked is the one where Donald wants to work as a practical effects producer for a famous horror director, and he rigs a lot of traps around the house to impress

Also, you gotta remember, it's hard to rip on Vicar, since he rarely, if ever, wrote the stories he drew
Can't remember any Kari Korhonen stories, though

As for longer stuff, i liked the Mythical Island Saga, and the Shambor Saga, where Mickey is pulled into a book and visits a different world

Oh, that stuff with the bird? That was interesting, yeah, I almost forgot about it.
Kari Korhonen doesn't make the most memorable stories, they are just typical Donald Duck stories, after all. I remember one where Donald gets the ability to predict weather. The meteorologists were hilarious, I laughed at their jokes and how they tried to predict weather by licking the cat.
I know it isn't Vicar's fault, he just draws what he's asked to. It's just that it's usually him who draws those uninteresting stories. He probably has some good ones too, I just can't remember.

Remember that story about the aliens that move to Duckburg? I didn't realize it at the time, but it's crazy how they could allow something with such strong anti-immigration message. "Immigrants will take over your city and ruin your culture and everything you like, you have to get rid of them"

Are these good? There's a lot of them and the cost adds up

>Oh, that stuff with the bird? That was interesting, yeah, I almost forgot about it.
Talking about Shambor now? Yeah, i really liked it, but the last two pieces were sort of lackluster
coa.inducks.org/subseries.php?c=Shambor

Can't quite remember that alien story.
I vaguely remember one, and it ended when the Duckburgians tried to pretend earthling culture was completely insane so they went back home
Could you give some more details? when was it released?

And honestly, i don't think it's that terrible, it's not like either of us realized what the message was when we were kids.
There's no way a single story like that every now and then is gonna brainwash any kids into that mindset

Another No-topic i remember, is a story (by Vicar) where Donald just couldn't stop drinking Soda, it went so far that he tried to break in to a store in the middle of the night to get more soda, hid them around the house in case of an intervention, and eventually was put in a rehab where he just got everyone else addicted to soda too

Oh yeah, I liked that soda story. It was funny, but could probably be a bit triggering to children who experience the same thing in real life.

The alien story ended with them trying to make them homesick by making Duckburg more like their home planet, in the end making them homesick so they left.
The biggest danger could be parents seeing the bad messages and canceling their subscription, I agree it probably won't turn any children into Sup Forums by itself. But it also was a long time ago, the world has changed a lot since then, maybe those messages were more acceptable back then. It was in the 2000s.

Any of the Fantagraphics ones.

Yeah those are the Mickey stuff and the best collections.

>Oh yeah, I liked that soda story. It was funny, but could probably be a bit triggering to children who experience the same thing in real life.
Maybe, or it could sneakily give them advice on how important it is to keep the person away from alcohol, or be supportive or something.
Or maybe give an explanation to them as to why their parent is acting so strange sometimes
I honestly think those kids that actually get the symbolism could benefit from it

>The biggest danger could be parents seeing the bad messages and canceling their subscription
True, but to be fair, i think that would be a bit too sensitive.
Sure the world has changed, but we really should be able to stand some views that aren't 100% leftwing. Hope i'm not getting too political now.

Remember what they looked like? I seem to remember very thin bodies without shoulders, and long heads and black eyes

I remember one where Donald and the kids go exploring a cave, and they find a guy in the middle of it with a honking horn, and he's trying to study how "bumped" the sounds get from being thrown against the cave walls all the time
Do you remember that? i'm trying to remember the author, cause he had some really weird stuff
Another story i think was by the same guy was where Scrooge and the others went looking for Scrooge's cousin down a river, following a trail of cigarstups, ending in some secret bunker where they found a flying saucer.
Then, their memory was wiped and they forgot it all. The End!

So many weird memories with these comics

Only read a few, but they are really creative, and focus on actually telling a story each of them
The ones i read is the one where Mickey becomes a flying mailman, and another where he and goofy ends up in a dinosaur land

We may not have read all the same stories, your collection is from 95-05 and my collection is from 99-16, so, while I have read plenty of other magazines from earlier, I may have missed some of the late 90s stuff. I don't remember the stories you are talking about, even if I may have read them.

I haven't read much by Floyd Gottfredson, but I remember he had a nice and lively artstyle, and there was one good story about a flying airship city thing. Maybe it was the mail story you mentioned.
But Paul Murry mickey sucks, so much. He is probably a big part of the reason why people don't like Mickey, everything about those stories suck.

>flying airship city thing. Maybe it was the mail story you mentioned.
Yes, absolutely
Pete peg-leg and a lawyer accomplice had made a floating city they kept alive by stealing air mail, so the mailing company arms the airplanes with machineguns for protection
I read this story in weekly issues, but there's no way that story would be published like that today

Can't remember the title, but i have it laying around

Searched Paul Murry on inducks, I know i disliked mickey for the most part, and i'd agree with you
Though i don't think i read any other Gottfriedson than what i mentioned

I haven't really paid attention, but is guns something they've started censoring? Or just armed airplanes because it's too war like?

Speaking of guns, I remember a story I liked for it's fun chain reaction mechanism, where there is -was it a mecha?- something that someone wants to steal, and he sets up a fire pump, machine gun and many things that activate each other to prevent people from getting there to stop him.

But while I'm thinking about mecha, I remember there were a few stories with giant robots used for construction and battling against each other. They weren't the most memorable, but pretty unique in Donald comics.

Another thing, the Italian comics have always had some crazy robot designs, and way later, when I got into anime, I started thinking that maybe it was inspired by Yatterman, which was huge in Italy.

Just armed airplanes
Several times you can see guns in modern stories, it's just that it's more common in older stories

I remember that story too
Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are invited to some place with that mecha, i want to say it was a film set, or army base, but not sure
Then Goofy overhears Minnie teasing Mickey for a childhood invisible friend he had. Whenever Mickey did anything bad, he'd blame that person
Since Goofy is retarded, he thought this person was literally an unstoppable supervilain, and started looking around
Then he saw the strange setup of all those things you mentioned covering all entrances to the mecha, and he told the others as a warning
Nobody believed him, so he just waited around the mecha, things went exactly as he had predicted, and this little janitor or something tries sneaking into the mecha, but goofy captures him

I always thought that was a weird story, and i kept thinking there was something i didn't get.
Like, is there any sort meaning to the madness, or was it just random?

And those mechabattles were also Mickey stories, really liked those
First was Mickey getting a job as a construction worker like that, then he makes a rival with the other guy, and they keep sabotaging eachother's mechas, ending in both of them fighting and finally being fired
But that was alright, the fighting was so much more fun than the building
The same guy later by inviting mickey to be his rival in an official battle like that
Later, he reappeared in a very rare appearance of the characters Ecks, Doublex and Triplex trying to steal the mecha

So many memories coming back with this. Good shit, my man

As for Italy, the Paperinik New Adventures were written there
Good stuff, don't think they're in english, though