What is the single most beautiful and emotionally charge scene in science fiction and why is it pic related...

What is the single most beautiful and emotionally charge scene in science fiction and why is it pic related? I genuinely have to hold back tears every now and then when re-watching it, and that's coming from someone who's hardly emotional over any form of media.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iRUD2Daz5q8
youtube.com/watch?v=c8N72t7aScY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is so overrated what does he even say that is emotional at all. We barely knew his character

Hello, female.

>Waaaah, I need a long expository background story to relate with a character, like my capeshit movies do! What do you even mean with "I'm supposed to find some form of relatable human struggle in Roy""?

>Female
No, 2049 is more emotional

Explain why.

K has a much more tragic character arc and goes through multiple identity crises and sacrifices

You have to be 18+ to post here

While it was a good scene, "it's too bad she won't live" is better.

And? Still not as powerful as OPs scene. Name one scene better acted by Goose than Hauer's.

watch Jean de Florette and Manon des sources to see a proper emotional ending

this, the mexican cop was kino

That's because it's a lot more obvious than Deckard's arc is in the original. 2049 is a lot less subtle in it's approach to character and themes than the first.

this is top but K in the new one on the bridge when the big Joi calls him Joe is pretty close, that fucking killed me man

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe!

Wtf are C-beams?

Even remembering the scene gets me all emotional.
I tried explaining this scene and whole movie to my fwb, she didn't seem to care at all, she preferred the likes of Thor. Good thing she's there to be fucked.

should have finished on her face, said "like tears in rain" and walked out

okay you fucking faggots
i watched it yday for the first time since all the cool kids wanna watch the new one so i sat threw the first one to see what the buzz is about

1st of all the monologue of op's pic was indeed a great scene and the highlight of the movie

but what the fuck was up with HF (dont know about him, havent even watch the indiana movies)
his acting is more terrible than kstew in twilight
constant constipation face
whats was the fucking plot
im retired
no youre not
okay
just kill those 4
okay

what?!?!?

that was the movie 4 deaths?

was the gay kiss really necessary?
why did he even rape kiss that girl like she was the love of his life

goodvisualsnandsetting/retardedmovie

fuck.you

kek, gonna do it one day

>tfw my gf can't cope with K being just a replicant and keeps making dumbass theories about how he's the real kid third day in a row since we've seen it

can we be serious and discuss that scene for once?
why is it so great? is it because he is referencing other things we never see, and thus expands the universe of the movie?
I can't really describe it
it's disturbing somehow

Something you wouldn't believe

>villian is hyped during all movie
>he dies because low battery

We need a Blade Runner prequel to tell us this.

>expands da univers

Jesus Christ no!

Because it's about everything that seems significant in our lives disappearing with us without a trace, for ever

I just appreciate the irony in the "tears in the rain" monologue. This imitation of a human taught Deckard the value of life before he died.

Its amazing because his only crime was that he didn't want to die, which is perfectly human, Hauers acting was so amazing and emotional in this scene that it doesnt even matter what he said there

The love scene had more emotional impact on me desu. I can't get that saxophone tune out of my head. So dreamy ;_;
youtu.be/iRUD2Daz5q8

HF is one of weakest parts of this superb movie

At first I didn't find the speech all too emotional as people like to say. But then after rewatching it not too long ago, I started to think about my childhood, teenage years and generally just my past memories. I will one day be old (hopefully) and all my memories that I have stored through out the years will just disappear. And that reminded me of my grandfather. He was writing texts, like autobiographies, about his life and his experience of WW2, and he has been handing them to me since I was a kid. I guess he to fears that his experiences, his memories will be forgotten, and he tries to prevent that by handing me the torch. I regret that I haven't read through all of his texts and I even fear that I have might lost some of them during my move. Now just after that, I was in tears after seeing that seen again.

>his only crime was that he didn't want to die
And, you know, killing people.

He was solid but not on par with everything else.

>seen
Meant scene

The scenes where K learns his memories are real/interacts with Pink Joi/lies down on the steps are more emotional and inpactful that anything in the original.

But this is one of the greatest monologues in film.

Make way for the actual correct answer.

Fun fact: Rutger Hauer wrote those famous lines himself, and it was kept a secret from Harrison Ford. So the Ford's facial expression when Hauer starts his famous monologue are genuine.

Dam

>why did he even rape kiss that girl like she was the love of his life
That's just what passed for a romantic subplot back in the 80's

But was the pigeon real?

I don't know, why don't you ask him?

Jej.

>always hear about how this character is one of the best in cinema
>actually watch the movie yesterday
>he's in literally four scenes, three of which he's doing the typical action movie baddy role of intimidating someone for information, only one with any character development at all is that final scene
>we're meant to be sad for a guy who did nothing the entire movie but kill people like a james bond baddy and we just have to assume he has been lead not to take all life for granted for some reason

I mean it's a great performance in that scene but the character was shit

ah that explains why he suddenly has 10 times more depth than in the rest of the movie, hauer is a great writer too

This movie is a metaphor between humans and reptilians

I prefer the scene where Deckard callously shatters Rachel's entire universe by rattling off all the treasured memories she thought were her own, then hates himself even more than usual and makes a weak attempt to comfort her, but fails as she storms out, leaving her family pictures behind. Fucking heartbreaking

The ending is impactful as well, but in a much different way because it's Deckard's redemption. He starts the movie as a sad sack of shit who's slowly drinking himself to death to deal with his self loathing at being what he knows deep down is a killer for hire of sentient beings. Life is cheap and miserable so why live, a less subtle movie would have had him pointedly looking at his gun or pressing it to his chin. His interaction with Rachel (the sexual attraction aspect along with her obvious humanity) sets things in motion yet it's Roy's actions that push him over the edge and out of his nihilism. How fiercely Roy loves his friends, how he desires nothing more than to live longer, how it feels to be hunted like a lesser animal (notice that Deckard doesn't say a word in that entire sequence, use of language to assert one's individuality is the most essential human quality, Deckard's been made to feel like prey, a lesser being.) And finally, when Roy has Deckard utterly at his mercy, he chooses to save him, indicating that he values life, even a contemptible life like the one Deckard leads, more than emotionally-driven revenge/justice. Deckard comes down off that rooftop determined to live, with Rachel, however long or short their time is. It's beautiful for sure. Doesn't make me tear up though because it's about the happiest ending possible and I don't really have that response to happy things.

I will never understand plotfag philistines that say the story is weak or that Deckard's a boring character who doesn't change. He does a fucking 180 in outlook from the beginning to the end of the film, how can you miss that?

It's still more character development than harrison ford. The feelings of the monologue mirror the melancholy feeling of the movie. Th contrast you describe makes for a realistic person in my mind, someone who absolutely needs to achieve something then once all hope is lost breaking down and reflecting on his learnt emotions as previously stated in the movie.

Thank you user. I was about to post a similar analysis, but you hit the mark. You captured the essence of what makes Blade Runner great.

>He does a fucking 180 in outlook from the beginning to the end of the film, how can you miss that?

By not making assumptions and reading things that might not even be there.

All of his points are cited from the film though.

>fwb
Die, you degenerate

Thak you for that great post user.

... Of course Ridley Scott doesn't understand his own movie so the epic replicant twist shit he put in the final cut just muddles the human story at the core of the movie. If I were to cut the movie it'd be totally ambiguous because the point is that it doesn't matter. If it's indistinguishable from a human it should have the rights of a human to determine its own course in life and be what it can be, and taking those rights away is evil. And Deckard's willingly been an unthinking appendage (whether he was built to be or not) of an evil, oppressive machine.

The scene where he forces himself on Rachel I understand as him basically begging her to validate him as being worth loving, despite his miserable state and the blood on his hands. He's just killed Zhora, almost been killed by the other replicant, knows she cares for him since she saved him, wants to test how far that goes and if it's something he might actually be able to build a life on, be a real human again (if he ever was.) And she is resistant at first because he's an asshole and a murderer but ultimately accepts him because she does feel something for him and besides what else has she got. They are built for each other, whether they are replicants or not.

I think it's one of Harrison Ford's best and most subtle performances desu. Sean Young is fantastic as well of course.

Also I think Gaff might not be "real." The origami, the way he only ever interacts with Geralt iirc, and how he keeps showing up at critical moments.
>"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does"
Good shit.

>starts the film a miserable drunk who lives in squalor and is being forced out of retirement to kill people for the state again
>ends the film running off with a girl he loves to live a new and fulfilling life, however short it ends up being
That's not a 180? What exactly am I getting here that's not basically surface level?

fuck, I laughed

A lot more obvious because it exists? Deckard had no arc.

All in all Deckart should have killed himself/drunk to death during his Vegas exile

Stick to capeshit, retard.

I don't even know what that is supposed to be. I see the filename, but that tells me absolutely nothing, when I haven't even seen the movie.

But if I have to choose, I would say Ash's death-scene in The First Pokemon Movie

>Gaff might not be "real."

you mean he might be a replicant?

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

His death(?) confused me. After he gives his monologue, he kind of just "turns off"? Did he know the exact time he would "expire" so he could give his little tears in the rain speech, or was it just pure plot convenience that he dies(?) right after the monologue?

posts like this actually make browsing Sup Forums not entirely useless waste of life

He could feel himself dying in the end, hence the nail through the hand for a rush of adrenaline.

Its not really emotional, but it was a great speech/ending sequence.
But Sup Forums is going to tell you you're wrong because they want to feel superior

>Its not really emotional

What the fuck does it mean to be
>really emotional
?

If 8 out of 10 vewers are touched, is it? If 2 out of 10?

Glad you liked it anons, I wanted to write something about in response to the discussion I've seen lately since the new one came out and was looking for a decent thread. Though my timing is shit as usual and only about two dozen europeans, australians and NEET americans will see.

I mean he might only be real to Deckard. A conscience type thing. I haven't given it too much thought

Ahh, makes sense.

>I mean he might only be real to Deckard.

Like Decard is a shizo and talks with people that only exist in his imagination?

B/c I actually had the same idea when i've seen BR for the first time some 10 years ago, but all in all it makes little sense. Gaff drives him on several occasions, and he's alive and real in 2049

It's good but I'd say the reveal that Vader is Luke's father was probably more emotionally charged. I'm aware that now it's a meme but at the time it was a huge moment. There's a reason it's so iconic.

My assumption was always that they were a spectra of light that humans couldn't see, but Batty could because of his replicant abilities

They glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

>stick to capeshit
>let us patricians enjoy this movie, that's itself barely a step ahead of capeshit in all aspects minus technical prowess.

we'll never know, and thats the beauty of this

>inb4 Blader Runner 2079: Tannhauser Gate

pls no

Thank you user, you phrased it perfectly

>bait this obvious

That's not very sporty!

what the fuck did that line even mean? "she wont live". what?

My question is:

If Mankind has made it to only 10 worlds "a child could count on his hands," then how the fuck did we make it all the way to the Shoulder of Orion?

It means one of two things: either he's referring to the fact she's a replicant and will have a listed life span. Or that Blade Runners will hunt her and try to kill her. Since he left the origami at the door as a message for Deckard it's probably number 2.

Yeah, going out of his way to kill as many people was genetically-engineered-humanly-possible could count as a crime.

I always figured that they were supposed to be some sort of exotic space weapons system in operation.

But
>Tannhauser Gate
And the fact that they use the term "C" in them also means that they could be something like the realspace echoes of an FTL system as ships are about to exit the hypergate (think: like in Cowboy Bebop)

I always imagined them to compose some sort of structure being attacked by the "attack ships."

You know, like I-beams are used to make skyscrapers.

>I mean he might only be real to Deckard.

Wallace said mankind COLONIZED 9 worlds.

Colonization =/= reaching

>some sort of exotic space weapons
meh, more like stunning natural phenomenon

Even by today's estimates, we're going to have to go a ways to find habitable worlds, and prettying much every star bright enough to be part of a constellation is within a few hundred light years of us, a proverbial hop, skip and a jump.

That, or it was just the name of a colony or space station or something.

It's mostly about the irony that a person with such superhuman abilities and experiences should die such an untimely and pointless death, coupled with the fact that Batty's desire to be remembered (shown by saving Deckard and telling him this stuff) is one of the most essentially human emotions shown in the whole film; a final argument that replicants are not all that different than humans, and in that moment of connection both Batty and Deckard understand this.

The actual specifics of what he said aren't important, but the visuals Hauer chose are quite powerful, imo. They're mysterious enough to impress on the HUMAN audience the fact that his experiences were truly beyond us, but evocative enough that we can't help but imagine what he's describing.

I wasn't even kidding. The movie has some nice character development and such but it's not a masterpiece by any means.

>What is the single most beautiful and emotionally charge scene in science fiction

you look like a good Joe

but why would they try to kill her? she was on earth legally. Did he know they were going to escape?

call me a faggot all you want

Not necessarily that Deckard is hallucinating or anything just that Gaff's a manifestation of his subconscious, given human form mostly for our benefit as viewers. Could just be one of the voices inside Deckard's head that comprises part of his internal dialogue. Like I said this idea is new and I haven't thought it through much, and I'll admit it's pretty out there (as opposed to the rest of my analysis) for a film that seems pretty grounded and literal, unicorn visions aside. This type of narrative device is more like something you'd find in a David Lynch film, or fairytale/myth

Anyway though it seems the new one is good and I'm looking forward to seeing it I don't think I'll ever accept it as a real continuation of the story. Several decades in between, totally different creative team, totally different cultural climate, and so on. Same with all the other soft reboots and sequels. NuSW is the most egregious one in terms of just having nothing to do with the original story, yet copying and deriving from it in countless superficial ways. But don't get me started on Star Wars

This has to be one of the heaviest movie scenes ever:
youtube.com/watch?v=c8N72t7aScY

No, she already escaped from Tyrell and was hunted. Bryant tells Dec to find her after snakelady is shot, but befor Leon gets his hands on Dec

You're not meant to know. The whole point of his speech is that he's seen and experienced things that will gone once he's dead. If the audience knew exactly what he'd seen and done it wouldn't have an impact because it wouldn't be lost.

Thanks for taking the time to make this post. You hit the nail on the head and respond to many of the non-criticisms that have been circulating from RLM and kids who have just recently watched the film for the first time, who think the film is only remembered for its visuals.

>on 2049

Wait till you see user.

The crucial part is the next sentence: "but then again, who does?"

Point is, time ends for everyone sometime, no point agonizing over whether she'll die next week, in a couple years, or in 60 years. Go make the most of it.

That's my interpretation.

Ah, this makes much more sense now

Am I the only one that thinks that "off-world colonies are heaven" is a fake agenda?

At least in the old movie i was always under impression that it's deadly effort to colonize offworld to save the species, and it's probably better for humanity a a whole bc it gives a chance to survive, but for one person it's pretty much sentence on hard work in deadly conditions until they die. So the goverment/corporations lie about how good it is up there to lure more colonists

In 2049 earth is much worse ofc

God, that always gives me shivers. Blade Runner was just sad, but that's simultaneously sad and yet disturbing.

>create a killing-machine to be fight in your slave-army
>cry when they show up to kill you for dooming them to a life of shit
Roy did absolutely nothing wrong.

wat? Are you retarded?

Absolutely. Horrifying, sad, necessary. Anyone who thinks Kubrick was some kind of emotionless autist who just made pretty pictures... Well they're a pleb to begin with but seriously just watch this scene. he makes you deeply empathize with a machine that speaks in a computerized monotone and has just murdered a bunch of humans due to an oversight in its programming