Cartoon Styles

We've discussed pic related the to Death already, but what sort of Styles would Sup Forums like to see return to the forefront of cartoons today ?
What tickles your pickle ?

The Problem Solverz

Anything that isn't Cal-Arts.

god no

Vazquez style

EVERYTHING is CalArts

accept nothing less

Anime style, like Boondocks and Avatar.

Every cartoon style, apart from Gumball and Steven Universe on CN - WAS Cal-Arts.

The original Gumball artstyle without CGI shit

Something like Ed, Edd n Eddy with squiggly outlines

a reminder, this is CalArts

the art style doesn't matter nearly as much as what you do with it

So take away everything that slightly sets it apart from the Cal-Arts meme?

There is nothing "Cal-Art" in that picture.

The shape of her head?

can someone explain this meme? a good friend of mine goes to calarts lol

The meme is usually associated with the head shape of a character, which is usually the main character.
It can also be used to talk about how ugly cartoons are in general.

it is literally meaningless, its basically nostalgia fags complaining that they wish cartoons looked like they did in the past even though they are just being close minded and cherry picking examples to attempt to justify hate of the current art style because they aren't what they like

Sym-bionic titan, minus the CG elements.
I really dig the lines and movement.

I wanna see more stuff that looks like the Venture Bros. that also is silly and doesnt take itself seriously, like the Venture Bros. I think I just want more Venture Bros.

>To return
Is this the only alternative you can think of? That the only way to make things good is to make them how they used to be, or rather how you used to like them?

How about coming up with new, undiscovered styles? Wouldn't that be a more sensible, innovative solution instead?

any style that gives characters something resembling a grounded anatomy instead of the 'le simple shapes' meme

Which one is cal arts?

>How about coming up with new, undiscovered styles? Wouldn't that be a more sensible, innovative solution instead?

I mean user, it was a pretty open question, the wording might've been poor but I didn't limit the answer to animation styles used in the past.

Left is tumblr and right is calarts

Styles that fit the content. Though, to be honest TTGo's style goes fit the content.

I would like minor cubism to return, like Dexter's Lab and Kim Possible(?), I haven't watched it but that Gem show does minor cubism and people seem to like it.

Among commercial western shows/pilots this year, I was really impressed by the nuPPG intro and Eddie of the Realms Eternal. So if money were no object, I'd like to see more traditional animation that utilize full drawings like those two, rather than animating piecemeal like HB or most flash-style shows. Even if it has to be done on 2s or 3s.

yessss

original style is way better. (left)

Were there any other cartoons (not comics) aside for Zim that were even in a similar style?

does he have a dragon tail or is that on his scooter?

closest thing i can think of is Randy Cunningham 9th grade Ninja.
Even then its not drawn, so the grittiness and realism is gone.

>Jimmy Dragon Tail
Hmm i wonder if Jimmy has a dragon tail, or if its just on his bike?

Holy shit, this is great. Pilot from which company?

It was an Amazon pilot made by Cartoon Saloon (Same people as Song of The Sea, Secret of Kells)

what other cartoons has some terrible art styles that aren't cal-arts?

maybe he's like one of those half furry people who wear a tail on their jeans, or is it considered wolf kin
either that or its a butt plug

Klasky cusopo that isnt post 2000s rugrats

seesee also: PPG2016, Angela Anaconda, Johnny Test.

I think I'd like to see something done in that 60s/50s Hanna-Barbera style, alternatively I think I'd like to see CG animated shows with Incredibles-esque kind of designs.

>Johnny Test.

Fine art style before changing to Flash.

>The nuPPG intro
Golden Wolf deserve more love

I remember that thread. The guy had a couple of neat side characters too.

>Popeye and Son
Holy cuck memes Batman
>6Teen
>Kappa Mickey
>Total Drama
These aren't bad, just mediocre and ugly

Man this is pretty damn old.
Also I feel some of them like Total Drama feel like are only their to fill the space and the creator couldn't think of other cartoons to put in.

Like yeah their bad, but it's more of a harmless mediocrity bad then full on terrible.

my friends and i are creating a cartoon pitch for networks right now.
one of our biggest goals within is "developing a cool style that doesn't exist in the industry as of right now", so we're trying for a style that's somewhere between something like 60's russian cartoons and crayon shin chan/masaaki yuasa or something.

if we're successful, hopefully we can break the weird monotony that's going on right now. disney and nick seem to be fine, but CN is certainly developing a "house style" with all the soft curves and tiny thin black lines. it's a little weird.
we'll try our best!

Not bait; Why is Angela Anaconda so hated?

It was mediocre, but to actively hate it?

we're trying for a style that's somewhere between something like 60's russian cartoons and crayon shin chan/masaaki yuasa or something.

LMAO it's definitely kind of hard to...visualize, but we're getting there. hopefully it'll be something that people like.

I just realized I forgot the >
Where do you want it to be broadcasted?

Personally, I would love to see Tit Mouse and Trigger do something like Black Dynamite once again. I love how it's very comic-esque, and how they use blacks as thic shadows alongside that "Soul" colour palette. It reminds me of JoJo Part 4.

Shit, man. Good luck. That 60's Russian style, I guess inspired partly from Yuri Norshtéin, is borderline unmarketable. Although crayon aesthetics don't appeal to me, if any I would encourage such a different style.

Whatever you do, leak the pilot if things come. Would love me something new.

we're looking first to pitch it to the nick shorts program in april, and use the short as leverage to create a series.
but we might just go straight to pitching it CN, nick, or disXD...
either way, by april, pitch or short thing, we'll try to have all character models, background and prop vis dev, ten episode ideas, one or two full written just to show we're prepared, AND an animatic. I don't know if you need an animatic to bring to pitches, but we're gonna have one. i dunno we're just really passionate about it and want to try as hard as we can you know!

yeah. hopefully that in between will be something nice lol, but i know what you mean. i guess not just russian, but like, slavic and czech too. they had some really really interesting style cues to pick from! like "cow on the moon". that's a GREAT style.

i'll keep you guys updated on how it goes, if the time ever comes.