Nothing happens: the film

can someone please explain this film to me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HnqFiq3cX2g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>watching STALKER for action or visual effects

It’s an allegory for the trap of human desire and how getting everything you want isn’t all it’s cracked up to be

At least, that was my takeaway

whatch it again in your 30's

i thought the whole point of the film was visual effects

How can you not like a movie where three Russians go urban exploring and have 2deep4u conversations for three hours?

but they never even got to ask for what they wanted

never even got to the Room

Stalker is overrated anyways, watch Andrei Rublev instead

>nothing happens
thank you for admitting you're retarded, user

hmm... maybe there's some, I don't know, meaning to that? nah, nothing happened :^)

oh, they got to the room just fine. neither the writer nor the scientist could bring themselves to go in. which nobody ever has, which the stalker tells us

when was that? was the room the one where it rained??
why was it so unclear
thought it would look wildly different

They were right by the door to the room, all they had to do was open the door to enter.

The door at the back of the vast area filled with dunes of dust/sand - that's the Room

>where are the guns and mutants and spooks

go back to Sup Forums pleb

it's just a normal looking room, that's why you need a stalker to take you there, otherwise you'd miss it (assuming you made it past the meat grinder)

what was the significance of that area with the sand dunes . like they went in there, fell on the floor and left. it was like pointless

Would be a better movie with some mutants being shot

maybe the real room was the friends they made along the way

It was like the Zone but with no mutants, invisible anomalies and no Monolith. Boring.

Not everything needs to have significance, it was just the remains of some old chemical factory or something which happened to be the entrance to the Room

>no invisible anomalies

Why do you think Red kept throwing bolts in front of him and made them take the long way round even though the path looked clear?

i was expecting some metaphysics and some deep science fiction concepts.

all i got was some drunk russians talking absolute drivel that barely made any sense.

also why was the stalker such an absolute pussy.

the mutants, anomolies, and monolith were all contained within their souls

i liked when the doggy was on screen :3

>watch stalker
>no action
>no quips
>no comfy formulaic structure
>no clear indication of what I should feel or think
I'd have better spent my 160 minutes watching Transformers: Age of Extinction.

tfw this movie had nothing to do with stalking... I was expecting a movie about a guy who stalks women not this boring communist pretentious crap. this is why Trump won.

>I'm gonna lie down in this poisoned water, surely nothing bad will happen.
no wonder they all died from this movie

guis... i relly hate movis lik that. no action no entrteinmumnt
whats the point i am tired enugh on my job
dont want think

wow

I said invisible anomalies, not no invisible anomalies

No

sure they were. writer and scientist are both accompished men who've reached career plateaus. as they move through the zone they're forced to confront the emotional plateaus they're stuck on as a consequences of the sacrifices required by adulthood

all the mutant dogs in the world pale in comparison with having to confront your own wretchedness

that would actually be the worst thing you could possibly add to the movie. I actually think you're a bad person for thinking that.

word

Wrenched is a pretty cool artifact though.

The Zone made him think that

>which nobody ever has, which the stalker tells us
Yes they have - the stalker says his boss went into the room, and got what his unconscious desired (not what was on his mind).
He then killed himself because his unconscious desired money, rather than saving someone he loved.

>Tarkovsky
>visual effects

His movies are basically books.

I watched Stalker knowing almost nothing about it, except the screenshot that showed a dog/wolf.
I presumed the film was going to be about men surviving from a stalking creature in some sci-fi setting or something.
I liked what I got, but I thought my first thoughts were interesting.
I really don't know how a game series was made from this.

the book was very different to the movie but still great btw, the protagonist was a Chad

I think you just need to understand going in that it's a video game movie. It's well regarded, but with that as a really important condition. It's visually interesting and memorable, but there's just not enough in the game to make more than a few beautiful moments. If you have realistic expectations, it's fun, and that's enough.

pretty sure he kills himself out of guilt for sacrificing his brother to the meat grinder to get to the room

Was that it? I thought it was because he wanted to bring his brother back, but got money instead.
Did I misunderstand/misremember?

Who's Red? This isn't a Roadside Picnic story, even if the script was written by the same people.

i got the same but saw it a long time ago, the brother died somewhere on the zone but i don't remember him being sacrified to the meat grinder

> from this.
The game was made around the books+the films

There was a trap in the room. The writer triggered it when he walked in instead of waiting where stalker told him too.

entire point of the movie was summarized in Writer's line in the beginning
"WRITER: I am going to argue. There’s no Bermuda triangle. There’s a triangle ABC, which is even to a triangle A′B′C′. Do you feel, what a doleful boredom this statement rooms? However, in the middle ages it was interesting. In every home there was a house-spirit, in every church – God... People were young! Now each fourth is an old man. Boring, my angel, oh how boring."

Stalker is a God's fool who's still believing in miracle that he found in Zone and wants for other people as desperate as him to believe in miracles, but faith is not needed for this world no more.
The actual fun part of the movie is not its point, but the supposedly deadly journey these people take and the movie tries to even challenge the belief in miracles among the viewers, most of which don't see anything in the depicted Zone, which is, again, proving the point of the director - Faith has no place in modern world anymore.

Wasted first post

Go watch capeshit then, pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=HnqFiq3cX2g

loosey adaptation of a russian novel featuring Sup Forums most beloved activity lore build
movie is endearing tho.

too bad tv series never

good review a. white

most memorable shot IMO

the pleb filter at work, gentlemen

>not maining the sand dunes frame
pleb taste

every time Stalker sticks his face on the ground is pretty nice for some reason

Watch Annihilation next year, it's gonna be like Stalker but more for plebs.

Arkadiy has made some of the top-tier translation of japanese verse into russian, and I genuinely think that the translation should always be handled by a native speaker (i.e. english translation must be handled by an englishman, addressing any of their questions on how to interpret any rare idioms or cryptic phrases with double/triple meaning to the original authors).

>The brutality and low acting skills are unfortunate, but as a vision of the future and the relation between man and his destiny, the film is pushing the frontier of cinema as an art.

What did he mean by this when talking about Terminator?

he was praising top-tier special effects he could never achieve

He was a pleb that hated Kubrick

he was doing what he does best: worshiping God

i'd say this movie accurately predicted the future of russia 10 years before the fall of sovok

he meant that it was schlock like all 80s action films but treated important themes, it's pretty straightforward

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Stalker. The thematic elements are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of the human condition most of the conversations will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Writer's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these conversations, to realize that they're not just wretched- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Stalker truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Stalker's existencial catchphrase "Passion is the friction between one's soul and the outside world," which itself is a cryptic reference to Dostoevsky's "Notes from Underground". I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Andrei Tarkovsky's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Stalker tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

unironically this

"No"

God this was a waste of time. Every movie based on a game is shit. This holds true for this borefest.

>S.T.A.L.K.E.R. the Movie
NEVER
E
V
E
R

There is the Zone full of traps and other shit. There are 'stalkers' that go to the Zone for personal gain.
In the Zone there is a room that's supposed to grant wishes. Problem is, Genie effects is in effect. Any wish granted will fuck you up royally.
Therefore no one dares to wish for anything, but also can't destroy the "lamp".

Thank god.

Get out of here stalker.

>Any wish granted will fuck you up royally.
That's not the case. It's that what you are 'thinking of' is not necessarily what you'll get. It will grant you what your unconscious desires - and finding out what you've desired above everything else may not be a good idea.

This is pretty good bait honestly.

There is both. Still a genie effect.
Also, doesn't really matter, in either case the only way to win is to not play.

He meant it was crass but there was something valuable at the heart of it. He meant exactly what he said.

>based on a game.

Got me, nice

the real 'the room' was the friends we made along the way

Wasn't the final room require human sacrifice to anomaly at the entrance?

Jej Underrated

the room was in your heart all along :3

the sacrifice was on the meat grinder, that tunnel where he sends the "writer", but he is still lucky and survives, then he realizes what the Stalker was doing sending him first and that's why he gets mad in the next room with the sand dunes

>how good the green foliage looked with the film he shot
Made it feel like when after it rains and everything's really green. Such damn fine aesthetics in this film

too bad they all had to get cancer to film it

>the scene in atomic blonde where they fight in a movie theater with STALKER superimposed on them
kind of rad t b h

This. Plus the fact that they had a technical problem and had to reshoot everything really, but with less time and money, that's why Stalker is so empty, but criterion hipster fucks like we have here pretend it's 2deep4u. Andrei Rublev is the patrician choice though.

What sacrifice? I thought the story was that stalkers buddy had a sick brother, and his subconscious wanted money so wishing to save his brother didn't work?

I dont remember mention of the meat grinder having a sacrifice. And the writer is fine anyway. Nothing supernatural happens until the debatable final shot

>I dont remember mention of the meat grinder having a sacrifice.
it's never said straightforwardly but it's implied that the meat grinder will kill the first person to pass through it and allow the others to pass safely. either that or it's very dangerous and sending someone first will allow you to check were are the dangers and maybe be able to avoid them after he is killed.

in the book it literally chews up the first person who passes for a few minutes during which the second person can pass safely and reach the zone, it's not a corridor though as far as i remember, just some random disturbance next to the zone

>the sacrifice was on the meat grinder, that tunnel where he sends the "writer", but he is still lucky and survives, then he realizes what the Stalker was doing sending him first and that's why he gets mad in the next room with the sand dunes
Are you sure that's due to sacrifice? It wasn't just that the stalker thought it could be dangerous, but sent the writer on anyway?
>Andrei Rublev is the patrician choice though.
Don't you mean Mirror?

>Are you sure that's due to sacrifice? It wasn't just that the stalker thought it could be dangerous, but sent the writer on anyway?
yes, it's not strictly a sacrifice, but if you want to reach the zone as a Stalker you have to try it as a group and get someone of the group to take that risk

as in all the other traps are avoidable if you are careful, but the meat grinder can only be safely passed by having someone else take the risk

>lucky
he just wasn't believing in the Zone, that's why the anomaly didn't work

an ultimate sacrifice for true art

>Tarkovsky, a strong believer, giving up on his vision and had Strugatsky bros literally rewrite entire script 5 times after an incident he took as a sign of God to make the plot about theological motiff instead of just action, purely cuz muh budget ran out
>budget restrictions
>in a commie cinema dpt.
dirty little captalist can't know his ass from his elbow

Stalker directly tells everyone "you can pass through anything, but the Meat Grinder; you have no idea how terrifying it is - to choose [the sacrificial lamb]"

>I really don't know how a game series was made from this.
Loosely, user.

>Stalker is so empty

Don't worry, theres a pleb rewrite of Roadside Picnic that has been adapted into a pleb remake of Stalker coming out soon.

In fairness I quite liked the second book of the trilogy (Authority).

It's about how false knowledge leads us away from God.

that trilogy reeks of the Maze Runner series trashpaper, but thx for mentioning it anyway

The writer didn't enter the room because he clearly says that the only reason he writes is because of his dissatisfaction with the world, and writing has a catharsis effect for him. If the room would grant the perfect inspiration for him then he would have no reason to write anymore, and thus no reason to continue living.
The scientist wanted to destroy the room because to him the room is an unexplainable affront to nature and science and a threat to society. Imagine if everybody in the world suddenly heard of this room and they wanted their wish granted, society would crumble.
The stalker himself never went inside the room because guiding people to the room is his purpose, if he'd get his innermost desires granted then he would stop caring or bringing people to the room, so basically he sacrifices himself so others can get a shot at getting to the room.

Also the Stalker clearly mentions that only the most deeply unhappy people are allowed by the Zone to reach the Room. So basically you have three guys who are incredibly unhappy and nihilistic about life who reach the Room but suddenly they realise that the reasons why they are there are all wrong, they rediscover themselves and find a way to cope with their miserable lives.
In short life is suffering and instead of looking for the easy way out you gotta find a way to deal with it.