Martin Scorsese: Rotten Tomatoes Is Hostile to Filmmakers & Not Real Film Criticism

Martin Scorsese: Rotten Tomatoes Is Hostile to Filmmakers & Not Real Film Criticism

RT fags BTFO !

>“These firms and aggregators have set a tone that is hostile to serious filmmakers—even the actual name Rotten Tomatoes is insulting. And as film criticism written by passionately engaged people with actual knowledge of film history has gradually faded from the scene, it seems like there are more and more voices out there engaged in pure judgmentalism, people who seem to take pleasure in seeing films and filmmakers rejected, dismissed and in some cases ripped to shreds. Not unlike the increasingly desperate and bloodthirsty crowd near the end of Darren Aronofsky’s mother!”

screenrant.com/martin-scorsese-rotten-tomatoes-is-hostile-to-filmmakers-not-real-film-criticism/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eNsQzBIN2jU
thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/220/testosterone
youtu.be/oQyKpOJhUKY
youtube.com/watch?v=-dD5zHfC-5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's right. The whole system is a fraud. Bring it all down.

Why can't Hollywood just shut it down? They have billions in the war chest.

>“After I had a chance to see mother!, I was even more disturbed by this rush to judgment, and that’s why I wanted to share my thoughts. People seemed to be out for blood, simply because the film couldn’t be easily defined or interpreted or reduced to a two-word description.”

Sup Forums BTFO !

Should've said this when BvS was being torn apart. But now when it's Aronofsky affected, everyone cares.

Film is just one more thing on the list of things that the internet has ruined.

>website just collects other people's scores and tallies them up
>"y-you're a b-b-b-big b-b-b-bully!"
Stop making shit movies and you'll stop getting shit scores.

The reviews written by 'professional' 'reviewers' seem like written by teenagers or SJW college dropouts.

Shut the fuck up mongrel you're talking about Scorsese here.

Amazing, isn't it? And BvS is ten times the topical, well-crafted allegory "mother!" is.

He's right tho

This right here is all Rotten Tomatoes' fault youtube.com/watch?v=eNsQzBIN2jU

Well yeah he's obviously right about everything here, but any thinking person has already known this for years and years.

but, blade runner 2049, a movie that get really positive reviews just bombed

Scorsese doesn't get shitty scores.

That won't affect the director's credibility. Poor reviews do.

Remember when the staff of NPR's This American Life got their testosterone levels checked and even the staffer with the highest levels was still in the bottom quintile of males in his age group?

Someone should check the T levels of these nu-male critics, you'd be hard pressed to find a single more cucked demographic any where in the world

Bauman blown the fuck out.

It's not that he's necessarily wrong, but if you're going to criticize a declining product with decreased quality and standards, the biggest culprit is still the actual movies.

Maybe when the cynical cash grabs, capeshit/disney shit and soulless remakes cease reviews ill improve.

Well obviously, its a simple aggregator.

>People seemed to be out for blood, simply because the film couldn’t be easily defined or interpreted or reduced to a two-word description.”

Christian allegory

Is that true? Do you know which epusode it was?

RT is nothing more than just a collection of rejects that couldn't cut it in real journalism, so they write the most scathing or controversial reviews in order to get attention.

except it's an aggregator, not it's own independent group of reviewers, so wrong again.

I think it's more important that RT inherently rewards inoffensive, mass appeal, mediocrity. A perfect RT score just means that nobody hated it. But somebody always hates it when you takes risks and make art.

Kiddo, this makes no sense when movies like The Force Awakens and every other Mouseshit get the highest ratings critics can slobber out

Yes, it's very true and very funny

thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/220/testosterone

Nu-males, man

look at DC movies my friend, and Star Wars isn't the only thing Disney does.

Hes right
Both films on the bottom are miles ahead of the top

you tarded bro
they don't write the reviews, just collect them

youtu.be/oQyKpOJhUKY

This is stupid. RT is just an aggregator.

However, the Tomatometer is bad and should be shut down. Or at least pushed into the background with the Average Rating made the primary statistic on display.

Blade Runner and Silence belong on top

Star wars and OGF belong on bottom.

DC movies prove Scorcese's point, my good brainlet

>people who seem to take pleasure in seeing films and filmmakers rejected
Literally Sup Forums. It's like pottery that most of Sup Forums acts exactly like the numales whose reviews are featured at RT.

they decide which people are recognized as legit critics and who aren't

Of course, Sup Forumsirgins are also hilariously Low T

Sup Forumsirgins have marginally better taste imo but their behavior is identical

He's right. Reviewers are 90% cocky cynics who can only see things in black or white where a movie can either be awful or a masterpiece. There's no nuance in these things anymore, just masturbatory word diarrhea.

I feel like if Force Awakens was reviewed today with some time passed it would be in the low 70's on RT, fuck me that movie was so overhyped by critics.

>two-word description
Cape shit?????????

And? Dumbass we responded to specifically said they wrote the reviews. You're not adding anything here.

This, the tomatometer is so misleading and not the actual indicator of what reviewers think of the film.

All reviewers seem to bring in social attitudes to their reviews. It really is cancerous as fuck.

I've seen some movies get a bad score from credible reviewers purely because they deemed the characters to be overly 'sexist' or whatever, without accepting that was the intention. One of the worst for this is Mark Kermode, but he gets away with it because he's verbose.

>with the Average Rating made the primary statistic on display.
Spot on.

>This is stupid. RT is just an aggregator.
This is true, but so is the fact that film criticism has become markedly worse over the past decade.

Go back pleb

True.

how many critics are influenced because everyone else is saying a movie is good or bad? how many just want to go against the norm to seem "different"?
how many are influenced by politics or personal beliefs?
the fact that mediocre marvel movies can still get good reviews after making the same movie 15 times in a row. but something new and ambitious while not perfect gets horrible reviews like it's the worst thing ever created is crazy.

film criticism is dead.

I unironically agree with this

I doubt it will ever be reconciled though, it's got a reputation as "le worst movie ever" among the public, and it's capeshit so critics will never re-assess it.

If you look at the new Kingsman reviews, it's absolutely hilarious how many nu-males think their job description is social engineering and not... reviewing films

It's almost as autistic as vidya journalism at this point

>katie walsh
Of course a fucking libcuck would praise nurunner

considering every major paper/outlet in the country has a dedicated reviewer or two and they're all included, it's a pretty broad pool.

Only plebs use aggregators.

find a couple critics whose opinions you can trust, who aren't influenced by politics and just stick with their reviews.

OOGA

why would I want group-think confirmation bias? I don't need to read someone who just writes what I want to hear, I can form those opinions myself.

No one thinks you're cool, newfag
lurk more

Most RT film critics aren't really film critics and never studied cinema

>libcuck would praise nurunner
Are you retarded? Libs are smashing it saying it's too white, too sexist.

I never said that, just opinions you can trust not necessarily agree with.

whoops, meant for

Being able to recognize actual critical thinking isn't the same as seeking confirmation bias.

>christian
Not really , though still influenced by the Bible...it's hardly an orthodox understanding of the faith
The movie was fine until the end when it became too obvious that you couldn't interpret it any other way
Even Animal Farm isn't that on the nose

Leonard Martin was always a hack

>it seems like there are more and more voices out there engaged in pure judgmentalism, people who seem to take pleasure in seeing films and filmmakers rejected, dismissed and in some cases ripped to shreds.

what board does this remind me of...

NEVER trust RT.
only user based sites that aren't trying to sell you "pro passes" and stuff.

This.

i have no problem with opinions that challenge my own as long as they are fair.
but half of the review scores are not fair and are influenced by if a movie is "too white" or "problematic" that's not criticism and it's worthless to me.

Wow! Is Scorsese /our guy/?

Eh, his cameos in American Pie are a bit stupid, but I like the guy anyway.

Blade Runner 2049 is an honorary part of the DCEU just like Ghostbusters 2016 is an honorary part of the MCU

Careful, mousedicks, you may not like where this road leads...

Absolutely nailed it mate.

What's the answer? A third score category for scores from journalists rather than just opinion writers?

Honestly if they just got rid of the tomatometer it would be fine.
A lot of times a person gives the movie a 7/10 score, but label it as rotten.

SPOILERS YOU FUCKING FAGGOT.

maybe if we could rate the reviewers so that we would know which opinion carries the most weight

I never use Rotten Tomatoes but is there any kind of filter search for reviews? As in can you see the aggregate from a specific a group of reviewers that you pick and choose? Even among "top critics" you might be getting reviews from stuff like Buzzfeed and shit like that which will effect the aggregate.

Miserable fatass who never leaves the basement detected.

he's half right, the tomatometer needs to fuck off, a 90% rating means a lot didn't really hate not that it's amazing much less good, same goes with a 50%, divisive but not bad per say. With that said however critics nowadays are garbage, either rabid fanboys or retards trying to inject their own politics more or less.

VENGEANCE FOR SNYDER!

everybody wants to be an asshole

youtube.com/watch?v=-dD5zHfC-5Y

>Stories of people getting more testosterone and coming to regret it. And of people losing it and coming to appreciate life without it. The pros and cons of the hormone of desire.

terrific

one critic got it right one critic got it wrong

That's not my point, look at score below. It's same.
And critics don't choose whether review is fresh or rotten it is compltely on behalf of site.

>alison
Another libcuck shill that praised brunner how deep does this go

What the fuck? Those tomatoes are in reverse.

>Martin Scorsese Doesnt know how RT works

embarrassing

serious question, I feel that ritchie's arthur was cucked by the studio or something, the editing was all over the place and it was like super fucked up, felt like some scenes missing or changed in order. Its night and day if you compare to any of his other movies.

Why would you need 2 words to describe it when this film only requires 1: shit.

Still buttmad about Blade Runner being the movie of the year? Damn Sup Forumsro you should move on

SJWs are attacking the movie though, feminists hate the idea of sex robots. The movie got the acclaim despite the liberals, not because of them

Like I need RT to know Mother was shit and Aronofsky is a hack.