Mom has Alzheimers

>mom has Alzheimers
turns into a monkey
>no longer has Alzheimers

Was this ever explained? It bugs the fuck out of me.
Also, Kubo and the Family Road Trip Thread

Come to think of it, Kubo basically defeated his grandpapa by giving him Alzheimer's, didn't he?

animorph rules. changing species heals any health issues, including mental diseases, since every part of your body gets replaced

Her head injury didn't exist as the monkey

I watched this a few days ago while drinking heavily. From what I could gather was that she became more coherent at night because she was still a witch like her sisters, who btw, only came out at night.

yeah the way i saw it was the disconnect between soul and body.

as a human, who was injured, she could not retain her memories. as a monkey she could do so now because her form was no longer flawed, and she clearly put a fragment of her soul into the totem to be activated in case something happened to her physical form.

the same goes for beetle. as a human he retained all his memories perfectly, but when he was turned into a beetle he lost them.

>Everyone in the village was still alive, but just hiding
That was stupid
You can show a guy getting stabbed to death onscreen but not that? Fucking Mulan could even get away with that

And why the fuck were they still there anyway? Are Gods coming down to tear shit up not enough reason to fuck off?

I just figured her consciousness/spirit/whatever was transferred to the monkey idol, which probably had not sustained the brain damage that caused the memory lapses.

Her human brain was fucked.
Her soul took control of the monkey statue before dying, since the monkey brain was fine she no longer had Alzheimer.
>inb4 why not do this from the start
Because the monkey/body switching thing is temporary and only last about a week before her soul goes for real.

It's better if she were to be fucked up but stay alive as long as possible to protect Kubo then to fix her mental problems but have one week to live before leaving Kubo by himself.

Her human body got hit in the head
Her monkey body did not
Honestly, what explanation would you have taken? Is "it's a different body, different issues" not enough?

>Are Gods coming down to tear shit up not enough reason to fuck off?
Fuck off to where?
They are in medieval Japan, not the great American west. There isn't another village down the river that'll just take them all in, they are part of a Han and have obligations to rebuild.

And really, if the Spirit of the Moon has it out for you, what are your options? Becoming mole people?

More like a lobotomy.

It's because the monkey is not the mom, just a vessel for her magic that was dissipating.

Yeah, because they're from the moon. They're moon people, not witches. Well, they're kinda witches too, I guess, but more importantly they're moon people.

>All this on screen death in a kid's movie

This movie had balls the size of Texas. I don't think I've ever seen this much family tragedy since Land Before Time.

Also, the eye garden was terrifying.
>Dat Sarlaac mouth

Watched it sober and came to this conclusion as well.

The villagers had to come back to do the whole "humanity fuck yeah" thing. Also they were cute, be nice user.

The sisters were creepy as well

The sister were kinda sexy in a creepy sorta way

not just that, but they're on an island. where exactly do they go?

yeah i wasn't surprised when they killed the mom, but then killing the dad immediately after was just a huge shock. the scene just before built up the climax to be kubo and his father reuniting together to fight the grandfather, but then they pulled out the rug and made it kubo alone.

>Hadn't seen the movie
>parents got it for me for Christmas

This movie did not disappoint me

Course Laika has yet to disappoint me

Yeah the death in this movie was pretty high for a kids movie

It underwhelmed me

>cut off arm
>transfer your mind to someone else's body
>now you aren't missing an arm

The beggining of the movie was great and hyped me for the second half, but then it felt quite rushed.
They made a great deal of the three magicals artefacts... which end up being barely revelant, aside from the sword.
And beside, all the grandfather wanted was to expand his family, yet he doesn't bat an eye when his three daughters die ?

I liked other Laika stuff much more.
The Guitar man of China is prolly the worst from them.

Coraline > ParaNorman > Boxtrolls > Kubo

At the very least Kubo is better than Boxtrolls. The inventive designs and characters are without a doubt better in Kubo.

More like a curse, the curse of humanity.

I really enjoyed the movie, but on a second analysis I think what stops it from being a classic is that there's no real sense of change, not in Kuboms character, who changes little to nothing, and the world he lives in. I guess the whole thing with the Moon King no longer being evil (or himself at all) is a big change on its own, but would have worked a lot better if we had felt his pressence or influence a lot more earlier, IE, that the people of the village lived under the threat of him in their everyday lives.

In the end it just feels like Kubo pretty much went back to where je started, only with one less parent.

They're not so cute when they get rendered in CG to save money

Now I want someone to draw this screencap with Kubo and his grandpa with the same facial expressions.

The comedy in Boxtrolls was a lot more entertaining at least.

>tfw my mom fell asleep in the middle of Kubo
>pic related was her face when i told her i thought Kubo was better than Boxtrolls

Yeah, this was dumb. Wasn't that black fog ripping up the village, I was pretty sure that they were all dead. Imagine Kubo losing absolutely everything.

>boxtrolls
>better than anything
The CG abuse is so fucking amateur and makes the film look like shit if you aren't blind enough not to notice it

She had a blunt-force traumatic brain injury.

As the monkey, she had a different body, ergo she didn't have the brain injury.

>mom doesn't have alzheimers
>in the beginning she got hit by a stone

Kubo's mother reincarnated as a monkey.
She died while she was confronting the Sisters

>The comedy in Boxtrolls was a lot more entertaining at least

It really wasn't. Also, Kubo wasn't even meant to be a comedy in the first place. It just had light moments just to make the dark moments have more impact when they happen.

Way I took it was that _some_ of the villagers survived. Compare number of villagers before and after. Sure important people survived but it felt like a lot of death happened.

Anyway, even if they all did survive. That fog was semi-sentient. It was looking for kubo. It's somewhat reasonable to make badguys that don't just "kill everything because I'm evil mahahaha genocide".

I guess you never watched boxtrolls

>remember reading somewhere that they were going to announce the next Laika film late 2016
>already going to be 2017
Those liars.

I need something to blindly obsess over for the next year and a half already.

She didn't have Alzheimers, she had brain damage, she hit her head on that rock when she came ashore
The whole day/night thing was probably due to her being magical though
But as to why she didn't have issues while a monkey? New brain

>Kuuuuuubo~

Sariatu had a lot of in-and-out moments, like when she forgot Kubo only had one eye.

Do you think she ever had a flashback/episode where she mistook Kubo for his father?

Even if he looks a lot like Hanzo she never knew his father except as a grown man, so probably not.

I don't think it would work with something like that, since it wasn't a physical injury.

If you must blink, do it now

Brain damage, or magical dementia as noted by others.

What I feel is not adequately explained is Monkey mom seemingly to remember somethings, but not remember others. And its never questioned at all.

like... why doesn't she know about the helm? the armor etc?
Talks, and takes things said about being the charm personally.

At times it seems to say, the monkey is just part of her soul. which would be fine for explaining only having parts of her memory.
others, its suggesting its fully her.
I think the movie should have taken it a step further at some point and made it clear. Mother transferred herself into the monkey, and parts were lost. to explain Monkey's loss of knowledge.

>why doesn't she know about the helm? the armor etc?

Hanzo abandoned his quest for the armor after they fell in love. He still remembered where they were because he researched it and he probably sent her to that village because it was where the helmet was but didn't tell her.

There should have been more than two aunts to really show the Moon Kingdom as a force.

Also maybe younger "cousins" around Kubo's age.

I was disapointed. Plot was crap, the flow was all over the place, the jokes sucks, twists was way out of left field and there was so much CGI it's almost insulting to even call it a stop motion film.

Box trolls was decent

But not as good as Kubo

>so much CGI it's almost insulting to even call it a stop motion film.

fuck off

It's not his mother but merely a fading echo of her that is imprinted upon a monkey statue.
A copy.

>yet he doesn't bat an eye when his three daughters die
No emotions.

Magic, you don't need to explain shit!

Moon people, huh?

Alzheimer's certainly isn't a behavioral disorder. There are concrete changes to the brain when someone goes through Alzheimer's, and a full body-and-brain transplant would logically fix those changes.

>Kubo tells me not to look away or blink or else the hero dies
>Immediately glance out window
>Movie is still going
Thanks Trump

to be honest, the movie wasn't anything special,the whole thing was super rushed and the ending was laughable.

>all powerful being
>flies around in circles while kubo runs around struggling
>gets turned into an old man with Alzheimers

bravo, im not surprised how poorly its doing considering my gf fell asleep about half way through and she was the one who wanted to see it in the first place.

>Moon King is turned human
>Gets Alzheimer's (presumably because he's like 600 yo or something)
>Kubo presumably lives the same life he did before but with grandpas half decipherable God stories
Nothing changed.

Bad-End Kubo?

2spooky

Not as stupid as most Bad End AUs, I suppose.

>so much CGI it's almost insulting to even call it a stop motion film.
What
I dont think even a single part of the giant skeleton fight was cgi
Blew me away how big the skeleton was when i watched the film i assume they were using a smaller skelton with tiny models of kubo and friends

Auctualy the fall apart may have been cgi

Its funny how much opinion on this film has turned around.
We still mostly love it (and rightly so) but it does not get as felated as it once was.

Funnily enough the mlp film being the only major 2d film next year will probably get a similar treatment.

They can begin a new life under the sea!

Under the sea
Under the sea
There'll be no accusations
Just friendly crustaceans
under the seeeeeea!

>Funnily enough the mlp film being the only major 2d film next year will probably get a similar treatment.
Ni**er what, that shit will be toonboom puppet shit. It won't be anything noteworthy compared to
>Punyakoti
>The Breadwinner
>Mutafukaz
>The Girl Without Hands

The "Edge" thread is this way

Literally Magic We Ain't Got To Explain Shit. Though any explanation would suffice.

>who changes little to nothing,

If anything it feels like he regresses some, since he complains every time Monkey tells him to do something, even though at the beginning of the movie he comes off as pretty upstanding.

two words that sum up the entire movie

I'm guessing Kubo takes on his grandpas business eventually just as a nicer kinder moon. I like to think on a sequel where he fights werewolves

>would have worked a lot better if we had felt his pressence or influence a lot more earlier, IE, that the people of the village lived under the threat of him in their everyday lives.

Uh... the Moon King didn't give a fuck about the peasants. He cared about Kubo, who was threatened plenty. We clearly saw this when the first time he tried to stay out late a fucking god-witch instantly appeared and destroyed everything in sight. I don't think you understood the movie.

>mfw no Kubo Rule 34

very tricky

>Hanzo dead
>Momzo dead
thanks for looking away

She cast a spell on the figurine binding her soul to it for a limited time.

I imagine it'd be kinda stupid if she would have the same problem, considering that the body that was the source of the problem was already destroyed or dead.

Also, even if she didn't die in the monkey body, she'd still eventually disappear, considering she already died.

>Man battles woman
>They fall in love

WAITAMINUTE, wasn't this what happened to Joris' parents in Dofus, too?
Julith and Jahash, right?

Kinda neat, I imagine Joris and Kubo could be best buds.

battle boners and after battle fucking are very much a real thing

that's hot and intriguing.

any examples?