Does anyone actually like her? Is there some quota that dictates she needs to be front and center?

Does anyone actually like her? Is there some quota that dictates she needs to be front and center?

Shes a good character (or was), but her recent push hasn't helped. Marvel really wants their Wonder Woman. You ask me, her movie can only help her at this point

It's going to be funny to see how her personality in the comics heel turn when the film comes out.

Agreed. I don't know why they're bothering to do a relaunch right now when it's so obvious she'll get one as soon as her movie's out anyway.

I think Carol's fine, but it's definitely in some ways the need to have her front-and-center that's killing her. The first thing you've got to look at with modern Carol is the KSD work and both the fanbase that cultivated and the blank slate it gave Carol.

I'm not the guy ranting about how she must have long hair and the leotard costume or else, and I get the merit in retconning stuff like her freaky future rape-baby - but you lose everything else along with that in a blank slate. And since then we've had competing takes that have largely rested more on some vague perception of Carol than anything material in them. Some of them haven't been bad! Her stealth S.W.O.R.D. book was alright, and even her new most current post-Civil War thing looks OK. But they're competing arcs and competing takes that feel like they never get a chance to properly build. So Carol is sort of this nebulous "she's so great" who can never do anything bad whereas, without really caring who it pisses off, I'd much rather have a Carol with a past and her slight sadistic streak to read about.

Civil War did a number on a ton of Marvel books - much like Secret Wars, it's all been a bit of a waste of fucking time. But especially with Carol and Tony, to not actually do any build-up of characterization with either has been a total mess.

What do you mean, she won't be a Minority Report Fascist in the film?

>Is there some quota that dictates she needs to be front and center?

Yes
>something marvel studios has full rights to
>not a mutant
>white
>female
>something marvel studios has full rights to
>not a knock off of an even more popular/well known male hero a la She Hulk/Hulk and Superman/Supergirl
>it's for movie/comic synergy so marvel studios needs to have full rights
Helps she's had more solo before the push than other female heroes that would be contenders like Wasp

>not a knock off of an even more popular/well known male hero a la She Hulk/Hulk and Superman/Supergirl
Mar-Vell isn't even a part of her origin anymore, too.

I don't mind Carol, I just don't care for how they're using her. That said, under a good writer and with care this direction could lead to good stories. Unfortunately, what we have her is neither of those things.

At this point, the film is the only thing Carol needs. The comic division has no idea what to do with her, and the films are the only thing that can kick them in the ass to change direction to something else.
And if the other MCU films are any indication, the new direction will be super inoffensive and safe. Which is exactly what Carol needs after the last 5 years of shit she's been in.

I do. Quite a lot actually.

>the new direction will be super inoffensive and safe.
Boooooooooooo.
>Which is exactly what Carol needs
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i thought their wonder woman was storm

That's wrong tho

Yeah but they don't have the movie rights to her so they've shoved her in a corner.

>will be super inoffensive and safe. Which is exactly what Carol needs after the last 5 years of shit she's been in.
Wasn't that KSDS run

It was until they went into movies

I think he means that the movie writers have said her movie origin won't involve Mar-Vell and is just assuming the comics will get that retcon as well.

Do you want more Captain Fascist?

Are you a lesbian

She feels like Maria Hill-lite now. Always has a stick up her ass.

I voted for Wasp to be the banner female at Marvel. But never mind me I guess.

Storm isn't Wonder Woman.

She fought Wonder Woman because the X-Men were at PEAK popularity at the time. Which just goes to show how shitty Marvel is at solo superheroines, that they had literally nobody else.

The movie writers said they're changing the origin so it's less like GL, not that they're getting rid of Mar-Vell

Totally.

That hasn't been right for a few years now

I like her well enough. She's not one of my favorite characters or anything, but I've got no issues with her outside of how Marvel has been marketing her.

You're wasting your breath.

name 5 marvel superheroines who aren't a female version of someone else

hardmode: they have to be characters the MCU has rights to

I hate her out of spite because of her annoying fucking fans.

That's an insult to Maria Hill. Take it back.

Squirrel Girl, Angela, PATSY, Jessica Jones, Crystal, Tigra, Sersi, Wanda, Mockingbird, Widow...
So yeah pretty shit desu

i keep forgetting that angela exists desu

Heck yes! Carol Corps? SOUND OFF!

a-anyone?

Marvel wanted to push a strong female character without using the X-Men while Wanda and Black Widow are just as boring as Carol or more so.

The result: Carol everywhere.

Same thing as the Inhumans.

/co will like them once their movies are out.

who the fuck is that?

when exactly did she go for the dyke haircut? I get why she'd want to drop the skimpier outfit and go by captain instead of Ms, but why the haircut?

if Inhumans isn't Game of Thrones on the moon then it will be shit

Everytime someone storytimes Carol's book here I wish it were a SWORD book with Abigail Brand as main character.

In OP, which was a better haircut than what she had prior. When she became Captain Marvel, she was given this absurd SS3 looking hair crossed with a mohawk/fauxhawk. It looked retarded and every single artist drew it different, with some artists drawing it differently multiple times in the SAME COMIC (looking at you, Yu). When Anka came in to spruce up the design for the ANAD run, he noticed how much people were having problems with her weird SS3 haircut and decided to just cut it off and make it short so it would be more uniform and easier to stay on model compared to McKelvie's SS3 fauxhawk.

KSD wasn't responsible for the short hair.

Kelly Sue Deconnick...

She used every pandering "Gurls write comics too!" tactic possible to make her run on CM a flash in the pan & she was smart enough to bail after it crested and got was voted "greatest woman in comics".

I think she is an untalented writer but I respect her self-serving conniving the same way I do Mark Millar's Hollywood grabassery.

they're throwing her powerlevel into absurdity for the movies so every other hero is going to suffer for her pandering.

Would actually like to see her fight wonder woman though just so she could get her shit kicked in.

What was even worse than the hair was the helmet. Oh god that looked terrible, and just kept showing up.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people shit on Anka's design so relentlessly when it was objectively better than the one she had during the KSD run. The hair is better, the costume is better, and it got rid of that stupid as fuck helmet (I get that they were going for a Kree-like helmet but it's not like Mar-Vell wore the helmet in his most popular design).

She was never a good character to begin with
her history is atrocious

I don't know why marvel is wasting their time with her

user, do the right thing, call it the trump haircut.
That there is a trump haircut if i ever seen one

(it also freaks out her fans everytime its referred to as such)

I mean, she's Captain Marvel. If the movie was about Mar-Vell then no one would give a fuck if he was a crazy OP cosmic hero because Mar-Vell was, well, a crazy OP cosmic hero. So was Genis. Shit, modern Monica Rambeau is and so was Phyla.

"Captain Marvel" is a cosmic hero. People just seem to be upset because they don't see Carol as "Captain Marvel" but as "Ms. Marvel" but it's not like she wasn't extremely powerful as Binary.

"Captain Marvel" is a cosmic hero. You can argue about who should be the titular Captain Marvel, but arguing that Captain Marvel shouldn't be cosmic-tier is just wrong. Would you be complaining about Quasar or Nova being cosmic tier?

My 'favorite' part about the helmet was the opening for her hair to come out, haha. So dumb.

Her history is a clusterfuck. I remember one picture for Donna Troy where someone said her history like a CYOA. Carol is about that bad.

Me too.

Is that Steve Rogers?

>Mar Vell flees to earth with Kree super weapon, afraid even the Kree shouldnt have it
>Its the Psyche Magnitron
>Crash lands
>Meets Carol
>It rewrites her DNA
>Both Yon Rogg and the Skrulls follow to Earth
>Que space epic where Carol super sayians alien fleets and Kree Sentries
>SWORD is formed by movies end

Her connection to Mar-Vell is important in Ultimates. Just because he's not relevant enough to her origin to put in a three-page summary doesn't mean he got retconned.

So you think the MCU Kree Empire just declared war on Earth after Star Lord's stunt with Ronan?

They probably don't know he's from Earth, and Ronan was going rogue at that point. They weren't going to stop him, but it's not a big deal for them.

They didnt stop him because it was their roundabout way of ignoring the treaty. He still a high ranking officer and holy man to the Kree. Also Quill apparently has a file that says hes from Earth, well at least to the Nova Corp. I just think it'd be funny if Carol legit tried to be "diplomatic", they bring it up, and then she becomes murder Carol

No. Storm is not a solo character. She cannot stand on her own without the X-Men. Even discounting the issue of sales, which she can't draw as shown by her first and only solo a few years ago that flopped harder than any of Carol's, she just doesn't have the potential for stories on her own. Some characters are like that. Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, and Beast are all examples. Vision is an example too, his recent solo only worked because it was unconventional and limited. That's not something that can keep a character going indefinitely.

Well. Walmart tried to shill this to me.

Im like Green Lantern.... ergo I liked carol. I have not liked carol lately though. They need to let her be marvels GL and not make her marvels WOMAN THATS AMAZING AND IN EVERYTHING AND PERFECT muh struggles and mug BETTER er...frrgh

just let her do her thing..... and give her longish hair again.

I liked that the only artist who even tried the McKelvie cut was Quinones, even Soy ignored it.

Marvel has no Wonder Woman. They never will have a female character at that level.

Which is why they push CM so much, the trouble is Marvel has always been utterly inept in handling their female characters. Their females are team characters because Marvel are not competent enough to build them up.

Is there a Marvel female who hasn't been portrayed as being inferior at handling power in comparison to her male counterpart?

Wanda is the only Marvel female with compelling arch enemies; Chthon (effectively created as an arch foe for Wanda) and Set, who seems to have vanished.

But guess what? Marvel's retards have replaced Chthon and Set with SJW pandering and a stereotypical Irishman.

>tfw no one will ever use her Avengers Confidential design

Carol was way better when she was written as someone who has trouble being a hero despite her extensive military background and deals with real problems like Alcoholism and trauma instead of the "YAS QUEEN SLAY QUEEN LITERALLY PERFECT CAROL OF MURDER" shit Marvel's been trying to force.

The whole shit with "Progressive" characters Marvel is missing is that the characters themselves have to progress through overcoming adversity. Carol has overcome adversity and her own demons but she was still troubled by them till she got the full Captain Marvel mantle, But because Marvel are trying to push her in a direction where she's a leading Marvel hero, they think they can just erase the past and change her character to suit when they have an entire history to build off.

The film might give them a clean slate (They have to at least wipe that period where Rogue stole her powers cause lol no mutants in the MCU). But it's a case of progressive for the sake of progressive that they will change the character instead of having her learn instead of the Carol people liked before.

Even Marvel apologist sites like CBR and Neogaf are sick of Carol

This is a good post.
Carol is a good character, and arguably one that fits well as a "big name" Avenger, but she's been crippled by KSD and the push to make her a Yaas Queen Feminist Icon. You can tell that Fazekas, Butters, Stohl, etc would rather be writing Reed's Carol than KSD's and they're being hamstrung by editorial.

Mar-vel isn't popular/well known. At least not to casuals which is all Marvel cares about currently

i dont care for her
but it is too much fun watching marvel desperately trying to push her fucking everywhere they can

Carol a shit

Carol is best girl

I dunno, I kind of want that OG Mar-Vell.

I'm a huge Carol fan and a bigger Carol+Jess fan.

these anons had it right. Making Carol a no-flaws exemplar of female perfection is a grave mistake. Keep her darkness, her rough edges, her struggles with alcoholism and not murdering everything she sees.It's interesting reading her struggle to do the right thing.

dis

Nice idea. Pity that Fox owns the movie rights to the skrulls.

The only own the rights to certain named Skrulls like Kl'rt. Skrulls as a whole are shared like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Carol used to be fun, like when she had a thing for Spidey

I wouldn't mind to see this on the movie.

The good thing about the movie is that we are gonna get cute Kamala Khan.
Bad thing is that movie theaters are going to be filled of normies.

Well, I don't blame her. Spidey is charming in a lot of ways,

So are you.

The difference between Mar-Vell/Carol and say, Hulk/She-Hulk is that Mar-Vell hasn't been used in any notable capacity since the 80's. The most media exposure he ever got was showing up in two episodes of Super Hero Squad (a show where Carol is a major character) and a few episodes of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Carol had more prominence in that show, too.

As far as casual viewers are concerned Mar-Vell might as well be Abin Sur or wrongly think he's the male knock-off of Carol.

Carol was NEVER a good character. Ever. Some anons here vastly overrate her sociopathic tendencies and claim that's what makes her "interesting", but it's clear most only say that because they actually get off to that shit and also want her to lez out with Spider-Woman. Every other character that's had her title(s) has proven a better character then she ever was.

The movie is going to be terrible. They will try to GotG it and put in lots of ill-fitting quips and humour. Meanwhile they will entirely gloss over the fact that Carol is a murdering alcoholic.

The sad thing is that Marvel actually has decent female characters, but they're all in properties like Xmen that they don't own the movie rights to. They should've made a Runaways movie instead.

>Marvel has no Wonder Woman. They never will have a female character at that level.

Pretty much. One of the big defining traits of wonder woman is that she is her own hero. She's not tied in origins to other heroes. She's not Super Girl or Bat Girl. She's Wonder Woman. All of marvels most iconic female heroes are either wives/girl friends or team members. Or they're tied to a male character too much. Wonder Woman has that Independence marvel never gave their women back in the 70's or 80's to have this long standing classic character.

Wasp
Sue Storm
Jean Grey
Storm
Scarlet Witch

Wonder Woman has a boyfriend character. Like Betty Ross, or Mary Jane, Lois Lane. There's Steve Trevor. Marvel still has their single female heroes date/marry other male heroes. Again..... no independence from male heroes. Marvel KEEPS on doing this shipping shit instead of realizing how that neuters(or spays...) their character. They treat the women differently from the men. Why do the men get to date normal humans? Yea obviously not all, but how many female marvel heroes date normies? Until Carol dates a regular normal human guy for 10 years, then marvel isn't even on the path to having a wonder woman type hero.

I want this meme to die.

That's one strong dude to hold onto that gun tight enough to let Captain Marvel bend that barrel

>meme

Literally every Carol thread devolves into nothing but cheesecake pics and talking about how she should get together with Jessica. If anything, people showing even the slightest bit of interest in Carol's character is the meme.

Just Super Skrull, regular Skrulls are fair game. Which if we dont start acknowledging the Kree/Skrull war at some point its going to get annoying

>Casuals will think her binary mode is a knock off of super saiyan mode

I'm tired of ''lol fascist dyke'' and the Jessica shitposting. I am worried too because Marvel has no idea what to do with the character and how much damage CWII will do to her.

>Wasp
Im actually looking forward to Ant Man and The Wasp more because of her. Shame it isnt Janet

>Jessica Shitposting
Do you mean shipping? Because a lot of people actually want that

Yes, I mean shipping, I'm tired of it.

Well to be fair, I can think of worse, more nonsensical pairings. At least they have a long standing friendship.

>Well to be fair, I can think of worse, more nonsensical pairings.
His son?

Raven Darkholme?

>I'm tired of it.
you're tired of it? fair enough. stop reading and posting in Carol threads. Bam. problem solved.

the assholes who say "Carol was always bad" need to fuck off. You know why you fucks think Carol is a bad character? you've never read any of her stuff. Or maybe you've read KSD's work, which isn't really her. Either read Carol or GTFO.

You are pretty much right but fuck man why every thread have to lead into ships and shitposting?
In before
>Where do you think you are?

>why every thread have to lead into ships and shitposting?
I wish I know. Shitposting is usually trolls IMHO. I try not to shitpost and I try not to let my shipping go overboard....I like Carol solo, not just Carol + Jess.

No one has an agenda against Irish people or any of the other goofy unnecessary subcategories of Caucasian people. Shut the fuck up with this shit.

Even if they made her villain a Sambo, you still wouldn't buy the book and the character would still be lame as fuck, with "not mutant" being the only thing people remember about her.