How do we save the cyberpunk genre?

Every cyberpunk movie is underperforming in the box office. Why? And how can we change that?

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/westworld-price-cost-how-much-is-a-visit-to-the-park-a7397366.html
youtube.com/watch?v=hMaVIAlJlnw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cyberpunk is now user.

slap the words star wars on the front of it like star wars blade runner

or start having them wearing spandex and putting marvel on the title

Patrician genres will never be appreciated by the masses

Kill all normies

Put this poster up in the hood

Cast Bai Ling. Those nipples could cut glass.

>"Leave Box Office to me"

By making one that's relevant - i.e. take our present and extrapolate to the next most dystopian extreme just like Gibson, Scott, etc did in the 80's - rather than recycling a dated 80's idea of the future.

And nothing of value was lost!

>implying Lucy is watchable

BR2049: KINO.

has cyberpunk ever been popular? most shit becomes cult classics and experienced no real success on release. the only movie i can think of that was a success was the matrix.

get rid of burgerland

Make them games instead

Too many have been shit. And homogenous. Odds were stacked against 2049 before it even opened and the generic ad campaign certainly didn't help.

Black Mirror the shit out of that thing. Except those stories are small and personal... which is the complaint with Villeneuve.

cyberpunk belongs on tv now

>Mr. Robot
>Westworld
>Black Mirror
>Altered Carbon (upcoming)
>Snow Crash (upcoming)

What the hell is this?

You're exactly right. tv expected too much from people, if they expected either of these movies to be truly big hits.

No one cares about memepunk except videogame playing brainlets

Somebody with a superiority complex on Sup Forums? Why am I not surprised.

while it's going to go great at BO, this is not cyberpunk it's a memeshit cartoon for kids

that's ghost in the shell, not lucy, you numbnuts

Not enough Gibson.

We can't change that because the core of cyberpunk is isolation and the loss of meaning for humanity.

2049 needed to have dozens of human characters shitting on K just to get the point across to the normies, but they didn't cared about that after the movie was over.

only the last 3 are cyberpunk

westworld isn't cyberpunk, and mr robot isn't even close to cyberpunk. black mirror really? do you even know what cyberpunk is

Put in lots of quips, make the characters ramble and not take things seriously for most of the film.

Normalfags, despite being idiots can embrace decent stories. But they can't design them. They don't know what they want. Stop the focus testing and the lukewarm shit and go wild.

>domestic
lol you yanks are so stupid

Cyberpunk is garbage

The true sight of humanities' future is in all the stories about our self destruction in endless and ever more destructive conquests.

As for your image? Your image does

They need to bring back all the scifi writers from the 90's in order to make a decent film

The only thing we have to look forward to is Duncan Jones movie Mute and if successful might save the Cyberpunk genre

Contrary to popular opinion mediocre commercial success is actually the savior. If these films were box office hits someone would commission shitty sequels and shitty spinoffs immediately.

>Netflix

Tru' dat

How is Dark City Cyberpunk? Sci-Fi, I understand. Noir, of course. Cyber-Punk? What?

Well, "friend," the sad truth that you really need to hear is this:

You don't save shit. You don't change shit. You, "friend," will continue to sit on your fat ass and shitpost on Sup Forums for as long as your fat fingers can still hit the keys. You won't do anything. Not a thing.

I say this to all of you.

This. Normies are like pigs, they'll eat whatever you shovel infront of them. They're not going after mainstream shit because it's good, they do it because it's the only thing getting shoved in their face (shills, social media, 10 trailers for one movie, endless ads, and clickbait shit). Why take time to actively search for and discover things you could really enjoy and peak new interests when you can be lazy and have something mediocre and "good enough" fed to you.

Westworld is extremely cyberpunk.

It isn't Cyberpunk in any way. The guy that posted the Dark City poster is retarded.

And? It's still going to be released in limited theaters and will be an orginal story not just comic-book movie #74743883

Just be happy someone out their still making Cyberpunk films

I just love cyber

It's pique new interests, not peak. You illiterate fat fuck.

By making original work or adaptations of previously unfilmed works, not this derivative garbage.
Literally do any of Gibsons work or some Stephenson.

You can't. Dystopian urban sci-fi as a theme is not popular enough.

Besides nobody gives a shit about "muh humanity". Make a movie out of Deus Ex, where augmented humans', essentially cyborgs vs. normal humans' interests clash, not where some shitty underexplained thing happened that turned a robot fully conscious.

Cool man. You first. Get on it.

Someone get this man his tendies!

in what way is west world cyber punk? because you are so lost on what is and isn't cyberpunk i'll give you the wiki entry

Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a future setting that tends to focus on "a combination of low life and high tech"[1] featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.[2]

none of that is present in westworld, we don't even know what the real world of west world is, altho we can assume that it's business as usual. westworld is futuristic scifi / babby tier psychology/spirituality but it ain't cyber punk

:3

is this Ready Player One?

The 90s is over.

The one with the conspiracies and grounded artsyle, or the one with the anime that looked like somebody pissed on the screen?

This is actually the right answer. If Disney makes a Star Wars: Bounty Hunter about a hard-boiled ex-stormtrooper PI on the mean streets of Coruscant, it would change everything.

>a combination of low life and high tech"[1] featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.[2]
>none of that is present in westworld

Are you literally mentally retarded?

Redditors aren't allowed to call people retards and you know it.

Here's a theory on the problem: To the untrained eye, they all look the same. That, to me, is definitely one of the barriers to the genre. Not that the aesthetic bothers me, but it's undeniable that there is little innovation in it.

You already know the answer. Which one will make more cash?

>How do we save the cyberpunk genre?
It's a niche genre that can only strive in indie projects and obscure neckbeard hobbies.

With that said both of those movies were hot steamy shits anyway.

This
Just wait until
Disney (TM) Star Wars: A Coruscant Story

I'll keep shoveling my money into anything cyberpunk until all media gets completly saturated with cyberpunk and we all get burned out and everything cyberpunk is just an embarrassing shell of what it once was, just like what happened with zombies

(sigh) the Robocop one with the sunglasses that are apart of his face, where the protagonist sounds like he shaved his vocal chords, and somebody pissed on the screen.

There you go.

Try making an actually good cyberpunk movie

What does that have to do with *cringe* box office returns?

Ice T and his pet dolphin wholeheartedly agree.

>get out
>international
>77m
>top 4 being south korea, UK, FRANCE AND AUSTRALIA AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAA

there is no indication that the real world of westworld is broken down in anyway. westworld is like disneyland or universal studio it's just a theme park. every gritty aspect of the 'world' is by design. it's the polar opposite of cyber punk that doesn't explore any of the themes that are common tropes in cyber punk stories.

Fuuuuck man, zombies got so run into the ground. The Dawn of the Dead remake started it all, it was like a solid decade where everything was fucking zombies.

>IT
Based Finn

I'm from Poland and there was literally no promotion for this movie anywhere.
They're not even trying

Ghost in the Shell was just not a good movie

Blade Runner only did $30 million in its U.S. opening weekend, but it did $50 million overseas. They've already make back $80 million of the film's $150 million budget. It'll be fine. Maybe it won't make stupid amounts of money in the U.S., but when you factor in international performance and the inevitable streaming and disc releases, it'll do just fine.

I'm really glad that the only remaining trace of that is TWD and COD's Nazi Zombies. No, I am NOT saying either of those things are good. I'm just saying the less zombies the better.

>comparing ghost in the shit with the upcoming cinematography oscar winner

Christ you're retarded. There's plenty of subtext, allusion and direct suggestion that the world outside Delos' private peninsula has gone full corporate dystopia where only a tiny minority of the super-rich can afford to do anything fun. The sleazy, rapey, murderous guests and hard-done to low-level maintenance employees are the low life contrasting the high technology. The series hinges on a philosophical examination of AI and cybernetics overtaking humanity, and the dichotomy of free will vs determinism. You even have a rogue cyborg launch a raid on the corporation.

Sorry it doesn't contain enough neon hair, neon signage, synth music and power gloves for your tastes, but thematically it's absolutely cyberpunk and well-handled in a modern context at that.

it's not explicitly cyberpunk, but it has tangential themes. It's existential and it deals with a decadent and morally bankrupt society

we are shown a small part of a large theme park (one of many themes), there is even a scene in the show where a family interacts with one of the droids that basically tells the family not to cross the river with their kid because it's not child friendly. there is no indication that the outside world is a cyberpunk dystopian. do you have any examples from the show that indicate an outside world that is 'cyber punk'

Reddit pls go

people want pipe dream grand adventurous and FUN explorations of escapism

few people care about using fantasy as a way of exploring the possibilities of technology in the closest way possible

Blade Runner as a premise only has one fantastic allowance: the possibility of completely fabricated humans. (and flying cars). Everything else that's part of world building is realistically 'feasible' with the total domination of technology and the material resources of earth

The Delos website. For one thing a basic weekend at Westworld costs over $14 million.

Are you implying this is a bad thing? I've been in love with Cyberpunk for quite some time, it's such a beautiful genre despite it's gritty and violent undertones.

I'd rather it remain niche, not out of pretentiousness but so it isn't ruined. You're dealing with the Rick-n-Morty / Frogposting crowd now; They'd tear Cyberpunk apart.

Leave it be user. This way we won't have to watch Blade-Runner or any other title be milked to death or ripped apart.

Stop giving these films massive bloated budgets in the first place.

Maybe Hollywood needs to collapse in order to be reborn and know how to do it right without piling millions into projects

thats not true tho................................................................

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/westworld-price-cost-how-much-is-a-visit-to-the-park-a7397366.html

Understandably, it’s not cheap. The start-up and maintenance costs for the park must be enormous, so much so that guests must pay $40,000 a day.

We know this from episode three, when the sadistic (depending on your view of the Hosts’ consciousness or lack thereof) Ben is sat around the fire bored with William and Delores and declares: “I didn’t pay 40k a day for this!”

Underrated movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=hMaVIAlJlnw

MAke Deus Ex human revolution

>... is underperforming
I got news for you, everything is underperforming.
Cinema is dying.

Stop retreading ground and make Neuromancer already. Or maybe some John Womack works? Seriously I'll take anything that's not anime or more Phillip K Dick at this point.

Stop making shitty cyber punk films and make something original ffs

>we literally live in the future predicted by cyberpunk
>its shit

>hey lets make movies about how even further in the future things will still be shit!

cyberpunk died because all the worst and least interesting parts of it came true.

I'm just happy Stanley's finally getting to make his Dr Moreau. He was such a visionary director, and Val Kilmer, Brando, and Hollywood execs killed his passion.

but I want more, user

GitS is post-Cyber
And normies don't care about cyberpunk or brainy scifi

we've got altered carbon coming. If that isn't totally the the shit I don't know what even could be.

>>Altered Carbon (upcoming)
>>Snow Crash (upcoming)
NANI
this is gonna be shit

Stop casting Jennifer Lawrence