The End of Cyberpunk

Anyone else feel like Blade Runner 2049 was the completion of Cyberpunk and that theres nothing left the genre can accomplish? It seemed to be a perfect consolidation of the cyberpunk aesthetics and thematics but I feel it's time to move on from the genre. It's once cutting social relevance and vision of the future now feels trite. Where do we go from here Sup Forums? What's the future of the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU
youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY
hackernoon.com/technologies-of-life-extension-bff71c78f7c2?gi=e00f458135b4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

considering that the visuals and soundtrack weren't even close to the original, no

I can already tell you plebs will be spouting kino left and right for Jones' Mute. Very disgusting

the jonny mnemonic remake, maybe a non shit snowcrash movie

It was the Apotheosis of the Genre. Truly Lovecraftian.

They were better

a genre doesn't need to accomplish anything, it can just exist

You can count the number of good cyberpunk movies with one hand. There's plenty more to explore within the genre.

Necromancer

But the ideas behind the genre itself already feel outdated. I'm sure more good films could be made but like westerns which had their heyday they cyberpunk may also fade into obscurity

>westerns
>fade into obscurity

uhh....

Cyberpunk never had any ideas beyond cool tech being prevalent and the world becoming cluttered and dirty as a result.

neither the original nor the sequel was cyberpunk. as they were about cops killing the disenfranchised.

>cluttered world
The point is "you cannot solve social conflict with technology you will just see more preposterous shit"

There's still cyberpoppunk

Our world is rapidly becoming cyberpunk, this is only the beginning

Cyberpunk 2077

literally cyberpunk =!= noir
cyberpunk is silly and stupid - read mirrorshades

>and vision of the future now feels trite
>we actually live in a cyberpunk dystopia where corporations and businesses lord all over major countries, super powers are their slaves and don't even have to do war in order to sink a country, all trading is digitalized and people, normies I mean, are all hooked up to their smartphone 24/7 completely ignoring what goes on around while a huge internet conglomerate sells their personal info to marketing companies
>"guys cyberpunk isn't relevant anymore LMAO"

William Gibson didn't really like the movie. Cyberpunk is still alive.

This.
Age of Mega MNCs is coming

THIS

btw
>CD Projekt has mostly stuck with the “when it’s done” line, but we know that it plans to release Cyberpunk 2077 between 2017 and 2021

jesusfuckingchrist.jpg

I've said it before and ill say it again: Blade runner isnt cyberpunk. Its biopunk. Replicants are flesh and blood. Cyberspace plays literally no role in the films or the book.

Martian Punk.

visuals were about as good
soundtrack was a bit worse

I want to see some damm cyberpunks goddamit

reminder the closest thing to a cyberpunk film that has ever been made was fight club.

I agree the soundtrack wasn't as good, but the visuals were as good if not better.

>soundtrack was a bit worse
As much as I enjoyed Blade Runner 2049, the score was disappointing when compared to the original. Vangelis was just as important to Blade Runner (1982) as the visuals and themes.

Meh. There are plenty of other technologies and aspects of cyberpunk to explore. If you think this is the be all and end all, you have a small view of the genre.

As overplayed as it has been, with many bad entries, there is sti a lot of offer.

Yeah. All those cybery things were so punk.

Came here to post this. Fucking ludo incoming.

There are many conflicts you find with any number of new "cyberpunk" technologies.

No. Cyberpunk isn't complete without:

>Plugging your brain into some sort of network
>Transferring consciousness
>Tentacle-wires
>Stealth suits
>Nazi-esque hemleted cyborg troopers

dubs chekd
this user is right, real life is cyberpunk now except stuff doesn't look aesthetic with cars flying around and everyone living in megacities and shit, fuck this gay earth, if I'm gonna get fucked by corporations I wanna have it happen in a futuristic megacity

>coming
>not already here

>2021
by that point itll be a fucking ps5 game

just move to Bejiing

Who cares, why would anyone play it on anything other than PC?

>Anyone else feel like Blade Runner 2049 was the completion of Cyberpunk and that theres nothing left the genre can accomplish?

I hope not. I have plans for a Cyberpunk book.

Could you give us an example of an innovation from your work?

as of right now it's only in concept stage. At most I have a gimmick of Cyberpunk meets Fairy tales a "past meets future" kind of story. Haven't really decided on a tone yet.

Don't

No one thinks neon lights in front of dusty buildings are cool anymore.

Sadly though while I have improved greatly in the year that I have been working on my writing, I don't believe I will even get to a point where I'll be able to publish my first book within the year. Let alone a Cyberpunk story.

I quite like the idea, keep at it. In the face of depression and jaded states people tend to find a new sincerity, which will fuel imagination. Who knows where this leads.

Normies still don't like it

Blade Runner 2049 wasn't even real cyberpunk. Aside from the aesthetic it has little to do with the genre thematically.

Post-cyberpunk already came and went with Stand Alone Complex.

Since when did normies have the power to make things kino?

say that shit again in 20 years not because of a cyberpunk environment, but all the technology we'll have in the house that'll be affordable

this is relevant

It's amazing how so few understand what the genre's thematics are all about. No fucking wonder so many morons like OP loved Blade Runner 2049.

Well Neuromancer is shit from the moment they live Japan so fuck Gibson, OK?

Sounds like a shitty cross between Shadowrun and Fables.

kill yourself shill rat

Don't be so negative. This doesn't foster creativity.

It literally sounds like Shadowrun and Fables. On to of that the fucker even said he can't write well enough for it, so it's going to be another thing that tries to be good but isn't. In conclusion, fuck you trip faggot.

Do not be so foolish, such elements can be blended in various ways not just in a Shadowrun way. You limit your own imagination.

Eat your own dick.

I'd read it desu senpai

youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU

yall stfu it was great shit and they couldn't just do a Vangelis remix or youd be bitching about that

We're not living in a cyber punk reality so much as we are a cyber romanticism reality a-la Her. Society hasn't degenerated enough yet to shift into the punk phase.

Cyberpunk is weird now.

Instead of feeling like a Dystopian "possible" future, it now feels like a divergent future for another timeline.

It's hard to explain. It's hard to imagine a "dirty" future anymore with the way we're going. Things are looking more Star Trekky nowadays.

Pretty much, yeah. We need some new visions of the future.

Yup. We are in the early days of a cyberpunk society.

I agree about the soundtrack but the visuals were far better. Literally like 90% of the scenes could be turned into a really good looking poster to hang on the wall, the cinematography was top tier and the CGI combined with great practical effects looked really good.

Np, if anything cyperpunk themes and issues are more relevant today than they were 30 years ago

Well, there are those new Terminator movies coming from Cameron, and his Battle Angel movie. Dunno about Battle Angel but he did hint about cyberpunk style themes for the Terminator movies.

Look at any photos of China and the various recycling villages.

Bruh are you blind.
Google literally canned an "independent" researcher from an influential democrat alligned think tank less than 3 months ago

>It's hard to imagine a "dirty" future anymore with the way we're going

Really? Humanity as we know it will probably be extinct in a few hundred years, replaced with somekind of AI augmented genetically engineered species that vaguely resembles us.

Star Trek's whole shtick is to write off transhumanism completely and pretend vanilla humanity is superior.

Meh I like the high tech version of China better
youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

what the fuck does that have to do with the discussion at hand?

Cyberpunk is all about powerful corporations co-opting local governments in order to increase their control and profits. Just because we don't have flying cars and jack in to the interweb doesn't mean the cyberpunk reality isn't a better model for our future than the transhumanist society Startrek had of the future

No you have it backwards. Star Trek is a commie post-scarcity society that effectively banned transhumanism because of WWIII (and they further caricature this by making the Borg villains).

The corporate cyberpunk route, without any sort of post-scarcity, will lead to transhumanism for the rich while the riff-raff live either in squalor or a controlled/brainwashed situation.

>will lead to transhumanism for the rich while the riff-raff live either in squalor or a controlled/brainwashed situation.
>implying that isn't what's literally happening

hackernoon.com/technologies-of-life-extension-bff71c78f7c2?gi=e00f458135b4

Or just google life extension technologies

Not just the rich. They'd likely use more cerebral enhancements while any combat-orientated augmentations go to corp enforcers, successful solos, etc..

This too.
Who would've thought PMC's would be a thing 20 years ago

A crechendo. A gottendammergung.

t. shill

there was no decking, hacking, augmentations, anarchists, mutants, punks, cyber-samurai, virtual realities, software drugs, or gangs vs corporations

it was depressing postmodern cyberpunk, and very very good as such, but not any kind of definitive or completionist work

one thing they got right was the amount of female skin, oo-rah

t. retard

PMCs have been around since forever under the title mercenary. PMCs under than name have been around since post-WW2

>Jones' Mute

Forgot about that. Cyberpunk's back on the menu, boys.

mah nigga

Could have been such a huge accomplishment...

The movie didn't even do anything that hasn't been done in cyberpunk before. It was all 30+ year old ideas on life support.

Neuromancer has started it and the movie will finish the genre

Hollywood hasn't even jumped on the vaporwave scene and probably won't til Gen Z is around college age, then big time pandering will take over.

>cyberpunk 2 aesthetic boogloo
>terrible mid-late 20s electronic music
>eye melting visuals of 50 year old shit from the 80s
>s a d g i r l s ?

Hollyjew isn't done yet user. Just you wait.

If they ever made a movie of that book it will feel like rehashed shit. Normies will think they ripped off the Matrix, weebs will think it's whitewashed GitS.

good fucking riddance

ghost in the shell with white lady was more cyberpunk than this shit. movie sucked.

I enjoyed the approach they took with the score, but it doesn't work when listened outside of the movie.

>Hollywood hasn't even jumped on the vaporwave scene

Let's hope it never does. A joke that got out of hand.

working on a thing that might be like this.

it does, you just have to be on a lonely walk on a rainy night in the heart of the city

I really wanted to see more L.A. city sections, but instead we got some minimalist simetrical shots of landscapes. Also, deserted Las Vegas doesn't fit with the tone of the Blade Runner world. It was less cyberpunk than the first.

cyberpunk isn't defined by cityscapes and pretty neon lights, no matter how much tumblr and bandcamp wants you to believe it

wait cyberpunk 2097 you dingus