Ryan Coogler

>Ryan Coogler
>Josh Trank
>Gareth Edwards
>Colin Trevorrow
>Max Landis
>Neill Blomkamp

Who is the most promising of the new directors on the rise?

Definitely not Trank. Fantastic 4 pretty much killed his career.

gareth and neil are visual effects people that should never direct films themselves

landis can't direct
trank has no career

coogler and trevorrow are the only options

Blomkamp was on the rise like 5 years ago. Now he makes youtube videos. If he likes it whatever but to say he's on the rise is disingenuous.

Trank made Chronicle which people liked and fant4stic which people hated. He's hardly on the rise.

Landis is a screenwriter and twitter personality, not a director.

Gareth Edwards is my guy though

>Landis is a screenwriter and twitter personality, not a director
He directed Me Him Her and is directing/writing the upcoming An American Werewolf in London remake

is max's hair supposed to be like that or was john fucking about with helicopters again

Robert Eggers

>trevorrow
Why was he kicked off Star Wars and replaced by Abrams?

No hope for a comeback?

because he fucked up with The Book of Henry

Coogler.
He did an amazing job with Creed. Nobody even wanted it and it somehow ended up being great, even if you weren't black. I've heard Fruitvale Station is good but I haven't seen it.

Is this really who we've got? Coogler first, Blomkamp second, fuck the rest

This.
Sup Forums's gonna hate him though, he's doing capeshit WITH BLACK PEOPLE

Is he doing Black Panther? I did like Creed but Marvel is Marvel so

Yeah. He is directing Black Panther. Hopefully Marvel will let him produce something with a unique vision like Winter Soldier, Iron Man, and GotG.

From that list? Coogler
In general though...
I know he has been directing since the 90s but he had his rise in the 10s

um, no, sweetie.

Villeneuve is in a really weird position right now in that he's been handed a $160 million blockbuster with massive critical acclaim as potentially the greatest scifi film of all time, but is an utter box office disaster. He's directing an adaptation of a wildly famous series next, he's flirted with the Oscar's many times, and a few of his movies have been commercial successes but mostly he's still an unknown yet highly accomplished director. It's curious that he landed 2049 and Dune. If he does well with Dune I can see him going down as one of the all time greats who's widely celebrated decades after the fact, but man is it a shame that he's not very viable commercially right now.

See Kubrick

Edwards > Coogler > Blomkamp > shit > Trank > Landis > Trevorrow