Thoughts on Moana?

Thoughts on Moana?

>inb4 WE

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37425447/disney-accused-of-brownface-over-moana-costume
youtube.com/watch?v=LbCujYfIW34
thewritersjourney.com/hero's_journey.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Hhk4N9A0oCA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pimp crab was the best part.

Super offensive marketing

bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37425447/disney-accused-of-brownface-over-moana-costume

Unmemorable.

Is disney just in a uncreative slump or something

There was a big missed opportunity in not maing Maui hot. The worst part was that Moana's brothers had acceptable design, so making Maui akward was a concious choice.

Other than that, Tamatoa was the coolest part and animatic user is doing god's work.

The one following Frozen was always going to suffer

>Moana's brothers
Who?

In an early draft, moana was the youngest of 10 siblings.

>uncreative slump or something
They have Marvel's Avengers and Star Wars making them a few billion every year. It's not that they aren't uncreative, they just know that they don't have to try anymore and so they don't.

Heck, the only thing that's actually hurting them is their ESPN channel that's been losing viewership for the past several months.

They're having more success than ever, so very little incentive to try harder.

>Other than that, Tamatoa was the coolest part and animatic user is doing god's work.

This

youtube.com/watch?v=LbCujYfIW34

Why do you think they are doing sequels now? WiR 2, Frozen 2 , Zootopia 2.

Gigantic might be their last movie with original setting for the next 10 years.

What was the opportunity?

you mean, they bought everyone with talent.

Of making him have more appeal? As it is, he's not cool enough for boys to like, and he's not ot enough for girls to like.

He's in a weird "who was he made for?" limbo.

I want to fuck the crab

welcome to the club.

Disney tried to please Polynesians who cried foul for no Pacific Islander prince. Disney actual makes a good film while giving them what they wanted. They did everything they could to put it down.
It's a decent movie that won't get the respect it deserves.

Either or, doesn't really change the end result.

She wouldn't trade it for the world, though.

It was visually fantastic but the story is so straight-forward, no little twists that made it more engaging and Maui is more unlikeable than he should be. It really peeved me how he throws a tantrum when his hook is corrupted and just leaves to come back like nothing happened for no good reason.

Tamatoa was the best part.

>Pacific Islander prince(ss)
She isn't a "princess" and It's unclear if Disney will consider her one even though characters.

It was strange that there was no scene of him having second thoughts or at least giving a reason for coming back.

Something something she's a chieftain, not a princess.

1. Boring characters. Both of them look disgusting. Moana look generic at best.

2. Entire boring plotline on the fucking boat

3. Rehashed backstories. Moana is an Ariel rip off

4. Jokes are flat or they trying to be meta

5. Songs were horrible, so forgetable and not catchy at all. They were mostly spewing exposition in most cases.

6. The forced chicken and little tatooguy tried too hard as typical Disney mascots

7. Fucking ending, good to know the main hero is responsible for the death of everyone who ever dies and not only goes scott free but also gets rewarded

Seriously fuck this movie. A typical production made by black suits and created out of every Disney archetype. Seriously making a main character a woman or black will automatically have critics rate this as 95% on rotten tomatoes. Fucking brainless SJW's.

So, basically it's Dreamworks all over again. Great.

Agreed. It was dull as fuck, and the music sounds like modern day shit pop songs out straight out of a Glee/High School Musical soundtrack.

>Both of them look disgusting.

Agreed. Just because they were brown didn't mean they had to make them both fat, and ugly, but I guess Disney wanted them to look totally authentic to what real hawaiians look like aka they are all short, and have extra body fat do to the fatty foods they eat.

I heard here that in the original myth Maui is an ugly mofo.

>implying this wasn't just a way for them to get their movie more attention

Pocahontas is one despite also being chief's daughter

The music is maybe the best they've done in a decade.

Why is that I barely see commercials or anything about this movie?

Was it that bad?

She has a animal side kick how isn't she a princess

The only thing I enjoyed was the crab song. I was promised a pig but got the fucking chicken, I also would have enjoyed seeing more Gods/Goddesses from this culture as well or at least more exploration in that weird Spirit World they go to

>modern day shit pop songs out straight out of a Glee/High School Musical soundtrack.
Yeah, those really ruined an otherwise acceptable movie. But compared to other Disney movies, this one really lacked conflict or themes or moral values.

They tried way too hard to make Moana into Anna V2. Generic story. Too much singing. Inconsistent Sea character.

Short was trash too, only fucking art cucks would come up with such a concept.

>Thoughts on Moana?

It was beautiful, but meandering and kind of slow. Not a whole lot happened.

I feel like a movie about Maui doing all his amazing feats with Moana there to bear witness and Tamatoa as the primary villain would have been much, much better.

>There was a big missed opportunity in not maing Maui hot.

Maui was supposed to be ugly as shit. That's literally the reason his parents tossed his sorry ass into the sea: even as a baby he was so fucking hideous they couldn't bear to look at him.

Better than frozen

"You're welcome" is a fucking incredible song even with the glaring auto tune

>Maui is basically if Hephaestus decided not to be such a cuck and waste his life perfecting the golden fleshlight while his family used him for his cool shit.

It was good. Everyone just wanted something to complain about. Most people's complaint is "oh they just made this to please hawaiiu peoples! im white so i better not watch this. ." or "it looks boring "
Besides that, the best part of this movie was the water's animation and Tamatoa. I want to fuck the crab

I just noticed that his peg is on the wrong leg.

how come? he's missing his left leg in the movie, too

You're Welcome is catchy as fuck.

Then why would she become chief?

1/10 bait. Try harder.

and Ariel commits suicide in the original Hans Christian Andersen version of The Little Mermaid. Since when does Disney give a fuck about being faithful to the original stories they chose tell? Are they remaining faithful to what Maui looks like do to fear of an SJW backlash ?

Just like when they named the Black frog princess Maddy, but were forced to change the name to Tiana when black people started bitching that the name Maddy was racist some how? Does Disney have to be more careful when they tell the stories of minorities do to being bullied, intimidated, and threatened by minorities, and SJWs?

Literally the only two good things in the movie are shiny and you're welcome. There is nothing else there.

>when they named the Black frog princess Maddy, but were forced to change the name to Tiana when black people started bitching that the name Maddy was racist some how?

I can actual understand this since being called Maddy could sound like she's crazy or has anger issues.

>Maddy was racist some how
It sounds a lot like Mammy

>black kids can dress like princesses, cowboys or astronauts who were historically white
>whites can't dress as a Polynesian

>cowboys

imagine the backlash if this movie was released today.

There was backlash when it was released then.

>I was promised a pig but got the fucking chicken
Didn't they even market the pig as a toy and it wasn't even in the movie for more than a minute?

Everybody here seems to love the crab but I still don't know what his accent is supposed to be

A New Zealander doing an impression of David Bowie.

A reminder that some mythologies don't make good movie material.

So meh! that even the threads sbout them are boring and I normally skip over them. Well... except this one but you get my drift.

Because they went 3meta. Sticking to formula without the self-parody means you simply do location swaps.

Madeleine is a rather posh French name and Maddy is short for it. Makes perfect sense in the setting.

I had picked that name out for my daughter actually, and I am very, very white. Black Americans don't know shit about the things they were complaining about.

There was backlash against the first black female oscar winner.

Assholes will always find something to bitch about, but unfortunately people are listening to them now instead of ignoring them like they did in the past.

>my daughter

And with the power of the internet they are more vocal than ever.

Sup Forums is like 10 years old, don't be surprised if people will start posting things like " my ex-" soon.

We're getting older.

Fuck the Internet... sometimes.

> implying

The mythology was fine, the execution was the problem. See: Maui's feats, the land of monsters, etc.

Good movie. White people don't like it because it isn't about them.

What was the theater experience like for you?

Mine was ruined motly by the seven year old kid next to me having her mom explaining everything at all times like we're in a shonen.

Kids in general were always talking, but I kind of expected it.

A retard behind him dropped something and began to look for it with the fucking cellphone lamp on. I actually had to tell him to turn it off - who the fuck does that?

They are just tanned white people

A friend I went with was crying by the end of the movie.

During the scene when Maui leaves, my niece yelled "Maui noooo" and the theatre started cracking up.

Like Frozen should've been completely about Elsa Moana should've been completely about Maui.

As a kid I remember wanting theaters to pass a test of interest before entering the room.
As in : I came to fucking watch a movie. I stay silent, and watch the damn movie and it's close to a fucking religious experience for me. I wasn't even ten and I was already almost annoying about that. So when kids took on the habit of talking and shit during movies it just made me mad. SO I wanted to have the theater "test" how interested in the movie they were, and only those who truly wanted to see the movie would be allowed in the room. The others, the noisy trouble makers with short attention spans would be watching the movie in another room.

It's a good thing i'm not a country leader, but things went for the worse in theaters as I grew older.

The city soon had only one theater, which showed two movies per month. And you better hoped they would show the ones you wanted to see. Problem is, out of the maybe five times they would screen a movie, kids from various high schools would come, not to see it, but to be seen. So they'd spend the movie talking and screaming, or shooting red lights at the screen.

I remember having to wait close to a month to see Avengers because I didn't want to have them ruin that for me, so I waited for a day when everyone would have already seen it.

CONSIDER IT!

THE WHAT?

CONSIDER ITS TREEEEEEEEEEE!

There were literally two children in the theater when I went to see Kubo. One was an obnoxious little shit who constantly made screeching noises with his straw. I can't even imagine going to a movie packed with kids.

It depends on your audience, I imagine. When I saw the movie, the theater was packed, but the kids were all quiet.
And it did allow me to see a four year old girl laughing her ass of at the trailer for Cars 3, which was the highlight of my week.

>glaring auto tune
Dwayne Johnson has a great singing voice.
He doesn't need an auto tune.

>Cowboys were historically white
Jesus fucking christ at least do some research before shitposting.

thewritersjourney.com/hero's_journey.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=Hhk4N9A0oCA

I was very disappointed by Moana. The movie was so predictable and un-memorable. The story was EXACTLY like "The Hero's Journey" step by step. Its almost as if Disney showed some art students this movie and said, "make this, but make it Polynesian." I was basically told to do the same thing during an art seminar. This formula made the entire movie so predictable. It didn't even have a deeper message or lesson to it- its one of the few Disney movies that DOESN'T have a deeper message or lesson to it.

I thought "Inner Workings" was better because it did have a message that resonated with me. It had the lesson of "don't waste your life being afraid of death," and the guy even had canonical sex by the end of the short.

Everything feels so generic. Besides Tamatoa, the other antagonists (that chief, coconuts, lava monster) were so generic and had no story. The animal friends (stupid chicken and ocean) were stupid and boring, I did like the pig. The Pacific Ocean is nothing more than blue ocean the entire movie. Couldn't they put some singing and dancing fish or seagulls in the ocean? The ending was stupid with that ugly green island woman. They couldn't even make her pretty? They had to give her that ugly Olmec nose and face?

I work at the theater as an usher. So I got in for free. I'm not going to spend $11 to have an 80% chance of not liking a movie. It was a good showing, no bad kids. I have to clean up the theaters, and Moana and Sing are always the worst theaters. The cleanest theaters are the old people movies like Fences and Office Christmas Party.

>I don't like that the trickster god is a prick

Come on now user

He seemed like a pretty shit singer to me. Still best song in the movie tho.

Star Wars is just Heroes' Journey in Space with superficial references to Eastern religion and it is pretty popular.

The black kids don't go put on white skin or paint before dressing up as those people, moron.

How else are they going to get tattoos on them? Transparent cloth?

There are muscle suits for traditionally white characters, tho.

Most muscle suits in costumes are the color of the character's costume, not just bare skin.

It depends. In one version, his parents mistake him for being stillborn.