What made Watchmen so critically acclaimed? Can the level of success be replicated in the future?

What made Watchmen so critically acclaimed? Can the level of success be replicated in the future?

Google it and find out. It's been written about TO DEATH and that information is easily accessible. The opinions of people who go to this site will not be useful in any way, so don't make these threads. Do NOT post anything on Sup Forums except to tell others to not post. Only come here for news, and only come once or twice a week. You will thank me.

To answer your second question: Yes it can, but not soon.

It was to comics as evangelion was to anime.

The reason everything is stuck in a ghetto is that Moore didn't shill out and propagate the idea of high quality being financially viable like ideaki ano did.

It's a really perfectly formatted comic (Moore excels at writing "comics" in the right style) with some really deep political and philosophical themes, especially relevant for the time. Each character represents a different political/philosophical outlook, and the story simply has an enticing and interesting arc to it.

It also breaks down the medium, references comics of old while drawing comparisons to the (then) modern state of the field. The edginess of some of the characters was meant to parody the direction comics were going in, somewhat. Moore is known to be a fan of silver age comics, etc.

>Can the level of success be replicated in the future?
How successful was before Watchman

Do you here people talk about Before Watchmen other asking remember that this exists?

It was revolutionary when it came out, has several levels of reading (and manages not to be too abstruse, contrary to a lot of Moore's comic), is well written, well drawn, technically irreproachable and is full of nice little references and callbacks.
As such it made a big impression when it came out and still hold on to this day.
It's also one of the rare US comics that was gained numerious european awards, to illustrate how universal it is.

The goals of Watchmen and Before Watchmen are completely different.

To say that nothing can accomplish the same levels is very naive and limiting of the comic market and arguably there are already works that have done that and surpassed it.

This is not a slight against Watchmen but it isn't even the most technically accomplished or successful of Moore's comics (That would his work with Eddie Campbell on From Hell)

The level of success will never be replicated because simply not enough people actually read comics anymore. Where they used to be the staple of growing up for generations, they are back to being ultra niche. You just don't have a diverse group of people reading it and implanting new ideas in the medium anymore. Say what you will about the forced diversity, which is another problem in and of itself, but not enough eyes are growing up with comics, hence the stagnation we have with comics now.

>that's just cape shit

that's the fucking point. all the brilliant minds that can contribute to comics as an artform are looking elsewhere to create things.

Watchmen is a once in a generation thing that came with a wealth of revolutionary ideas at the time. Every comic since then has just aped it to death or faces comparisons to comics. We are still dealing with the ramifications of Watchmen and the Dark Knight Returns in our comic books because everyone is trying to replicate it without necessarily understanding why they were so groundbreaking.

some other poster mentioned something about not being the most successful of Moore's comics which is fucking ludicrous. There hasn't been one single comic story save for The Dark Knight Returns (which came out in the same year) that has influenced and reached the same audience.

You are aware successful is a word with many meanings in this situation.

>as evangelion was to anime.

Shut up.

no no, i get it. i get what you're saying. I'm just saying that in this case, the reach of the audience cannot be ignored. I get that just because something is popular doesn't make it good, but there is something to be said about making something that is great, accessible...but still have layers.

respect, forgive my hyperbole, i get what you're putting down

Ideon:Evangelion::Squadron Supreme:Watchmen

lmao

I always think of Watchmen as the comic book equivalent of Akira. Dunno why.

Because it's "Babby's first ______"

So is Ideon the contrarian choice that you don't get the appeal of?

Squadron Supreme is an underrated gem but it's not similar to Watchmen at all.
Except maybe for Golden Archer and Comedian looking alike and both forcing themselves on women.

I like blue guys

Who's babby, and how are Akira and Watchmen his first ___?

It's not obscure, therefore it sucks.

i think that clowes and ware have come close since it came out, arguably charles burns as well

It came at the perfect time. So no, it can't be replicated. You can't lose your virginity twice.

You smarmy cunt. How dare you. How do you even walk around with that gigantic fedora pressing down on that head?

The Movie isn't as bad as people said it was.
It's a much better superhero movie than Man of Steel and BvS.

probably the fact that their is actual consequence to the comic. By that I mean when someone dies in the watchmen [i]they stay dead[/i] and their is no bullshit ass pull that will bring them back and the fact that it feels like anyone at any time can fail.

"Rare US comic" written and drawn by Englishmen. Fuck off.

i bet anything rorschach will appear in rebirth

That's a retarded reason.

Doesn't Ozymandias pretend he dies at one point

Faked his own attempted assassination, but that was just to throw off suspicion