Why is it only Seventh Seal resonates with pop-culture fags when Bergman has a fairly solid catalog of movies in his...

Why is it only Seventh Seal resonates with pop-culture fags when Bergman has a fairly solid catalog of movies in his filmography?

Cause there's like this funky looking dude dressed as death and he's like playing chess... It's deep.

Checked.

what does it matter?

Summer with Monika and Through a Glass Darkly are far superior

because none of his other movies had a crossover with Bill and Ted

Mated

Its apocalyptic film and apocalyptic films are extremely rare if you think about it.

Through a Glass Darkly tied with Winter Light are probably my two favourite movies by Bergman. Haven't seen Summer with Monika yet but I've heard it's supposed to be fantastic. I was planning on watching The Magician sometime today, how does it rank with the rest of Bergman's material?

Didn't think too much of The Magician, but maybe thats just me.
Pic is my favorite, or maybe Fanny & Alexander

I thought Persona was more well known than Seventh Seal. Even though Seventh Seal is more normie friendly.

haven't seen the Magician yet

I think Seventh Seal is more well known because of the Bill and Ted connection while still a good movie depresses me a lot that they only know Bergman because he was referenced in pop-culture.

>pop-culture fags
Pop-culture fags will have not heard of Bergman, let alone seen a Bergman film.
Sup Forums acts like normies love certain directors and more 'mainstream' films by others, but I think you'll find normies couldn't name 5 directors if you asked them.
If they can't name 5 directors, they're not going to watch The Seventh Seal, and likely won't watch anything pre-80's (and it'll have to be a well known 80's film).

Hour of the Wolf is my favourite, but The Seventh Seal makes me cry like a bitch.

seventh seal = reddit
persona = Sup Forums

Redpill me on seventh seal. I saw it, I think it was an crappy movie. What am I missing. It's like Trakovsky. Sounds like overhyped trash.

>and likely won't watch anything pre-80's (and it'll have to be a well known 80's film).
This is my problem with pop-culture fags, they won't watch anything from before the 80s with A New Hope and The Godfather AT BEST even though the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s had some great films in each of their respective decades.

watch real kino.

Im currently doing my masters in slow-cinema and i hate cinema before modernism, so i get them.

>fails to mention 20's wich is the best decade before modern cinema is a thing
spotted the pleb guys, we're fine.

Through a glass darkly is pretentious pleb tier. He didnt know where he was heading yet. Cries and whispers, winter light, autumn sonata these are his high tier output

Persona is pretty popular in Japan. They made a whol video game series based on it.

>Redpill me on seventh seal

when the entropy comes I'll "redpill" you all right. you and anyone else I hear using that word

why Bergman when you can Greenaway.

>If you haven't masturbated to the beach scene you don't really 'get' Bergman

If you can't even into Tarkovsky then there's no point in trying Bergman

nice green text you fucking retard

I can get that, nobody still can explain what's good about their films. It's extremely slow, the cinematography sucks, the costumes suck, it's very amateurish as if someone tried to make a movie out of a theater play and didn't bother doing an proper adaptation using the advantages of the different medium. Maybe these movies are so old they looked different and modern back then. Now it looks like trash

life is but a stage

Most of Bergman's films are only around 90 minutes, and they're beautifully written. They're only slow if you're not engaged with the dialogue(I struggle with The Silence for this reason, since it barely has any).
The cinematography is stunning and some of my favourite ever, I don't even know how you could say it sucks; the framing, high contrast b&w, and use of extreme closeups makes for a very intense experience.
>the costumes suck
The costumes in the Seventh Seal are kind of shoddy yeah, I don't know why they're praised. All his other films are fine and don't have that problem though
Idk user, I'm not that good at talking about films, but I really love Bergman's stuff, they feel like some of the most intensely emotional and thoughtful films ever made to me

Metal Gear was shit.

DUDE I'M IN MY FORTIES AND STILL HAVING AN EXISTENTIAL CRISIS LMAO

that never ends, though.

This honestly, the visual of death playing chess is the most instantly memorable, in order to joke about Wild Strawberries and Hour of the Wolf, both parties would have to actually watch it.

but it ended in 1963 when he decided he wasn't going to do any more films about that kind of thing

One doesn't imply the other.

>Goldman
>Mekas
>Vertov
Essential /jewcommie/core

Your mom doesn't imply my dick but she still sucks it, fag

Seventh Seal is honestly my least favorite Bergman work out of the 4-5 films of his that I've seen

>It's extremely slow, the cinematography sucks, the costumes suck, it's very amateurish

the entire plot of Fanny and Alexander is an existential crisis

I do not even understand why 7th Seal became so big. Mediocre at best film. He has done so many better films, but I guess they lacked le nihilistic filosofer and meme setting of middle ages.

virgin spring is pretty good meme middle age setting Berkino and the art direction and costuming is on point.

Persona > Shame = Hour of the Wolf = Winter Light > Fanny and Alexander = Through a Glass Darkly = Wild Strawberries = Cries and Whispers > Scenes from a Marriage > The Virgin Spring > The Seventh Seal > The Passion of Anna > Smiles of a Summer Night > The Silence >The Magician > The Serpent's Egg > Sawdust and Tinsel > The Magic Flute

From what I've seen so far, pls no bully

>they feel like some of the most intensely emotional and thoughtful films ever made
>Adventure serials
>genreshit
>pseudo-documentaries
>liking Burpman at all
you mean the 1910's plebeian
>masters in slow-cinema
>hate cinema before modernism
The sheer irony and lack of selfawareness of the middlebrow is boundless
Embarrassing, Sup Forums. Truly.

The Marriage Circle and Old Wives for New are superior