>turn up to the lot for the first day of my new job to start working on a film
>script already written
>actors already chosen
>producers already made it viable and fought for creative control
>cinematography already planned
>franchise or idea behind story already fleshed out by someone else
>sit on my director's chair and shout "action"
>get called a genius

Bon appetit! Monsieur Chris Nolan cannot, 'ow you say, touch me, non! Haw. Haw. Haw.

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/film/news/jake-gyllenhaal-denis-villeneuve-crime-movie-son-1201783411/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We all know Deakins is the true genius

shh, you don't wanna spoil the little fedora kids' big BR2049 party. They're all running around enlightened by this artistic philosophical meditation. You have to be a R&M fan to truly understand BR2049, the greatest cinema ever to me made.

MOMMY MOMMY IT'S KINO

FUCK YOUUUUUU

>mfw listening to people talk about Deakins like he is solely responsible for the entirety of the film's appearance

I wonder how many BR2049 praisers had to be picked up and dropped off at the theater my mummy.

I haven't seen all of his movies but I have seen :

Prisoners
Sicario
Arrival

And thoroughly enjoyed them and thought they were excellent movies.

Blade Runner 2049 was a goddamn masterpiece.

This guy is talented- you don't get yourself into the situation you described in the OP by pure luck.

>>cinematography already planned

He and Deakins plannet it together, you absolute imbecile.

Was the image supposed to give your post some sort of weight? That's really cute

you have no idea what a director actually does

>dude it's art, just like this statue I posted

>cinematography already planned
>idea behind story already fleshed out
these parts are wrong. Dennys had a major hand in the final story as well as the structure of the entire film

THIS

Solely the fact that he got Ford to actually perform marks him as a fucking good director

Your post is ass, like your pic

>I AM SO LE COOL AND LE JADED AND LE CYNICAL DO I LE FIT IN YET GUYS???
Kids raised by this website should be euthanized.

>>>/reddit/

He's French Canadian, they act like pretentious rednecks not pompous fags.

Yes, Villeneuve is known to be the modern day Michelangelo.

I'd like to see Villeneuve make something more experimental like pic related again, it's still my favorite film of his.

>>script already written
This is true, Fancher who wrote the original wrote the script for this one.

>>actors already chosen
Nope, Villeneuve did all the casting with the casting director. In preproduction he wanted David Bowie to play Wallace, but then he died and it came down to Jared Leto.

>>producers already made it viable and fought for creative control
Zero creative control from the producers, Villeneuve had 100% full directorial creative control. He wasn't happy with the result of Johannsson so he himself hired Zimmer and Wallfisch to do it.

>>cinematography already planned
Nope, that literally never happens, a DP never makes the visuals by himself without the director, that's really a stupid statement.

>>franchise or idea behind story already fleshed out by someone else
You already said that with the script.

Sounds like you're a tourist crossposter filthy casual user.

>act
French canadians are rednecks

same, I loved jake in enemy and prisoners. I really hope "The Son" is still in the works and won't get cancelled
variety.com/2016/film/news/jake-gyllenhaal-denis-villeneuve-crime-movie-son-1201783411/

>they don't like a pseud movie tailor made for pseuds, so they must be cynical and jaded
try again sweetie

>pseud
Ahhhh don't you have a letterboxd general to shit up you pretentious fedoralord?
Seek professional help.

>its a tv poster thinks he is smart for convincing himself he believes a contrarian opinion
you probably liked his work until one of your favorite youtube critics said otherwise

i love how Sup Forums shits on any lighthearted dumb action or comedy flick for being pleb-tier but any movie that's good and the slightest bit thoughtful is pretentious shit for psuedo-intellectuals. Let me guess, your top 10 favorite movies are all pre-70s obscure foreign dramas, right?

>fedoralord
"muh denis" is what fedoras love best. They can't handle real emotions or sincerity so they flock to ironic "fun" crap like Army of Darkness, Pacific Rim and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. Anything more than juvenile "fun" is too "2deep4u hipster shit". It's "fun" shit and superficially meaningful "dark" movies that get the most fedora attention.

They'll watch Prisoners for what they think is their intellectual main course and then wash it out with something like John Wick for desert. Before settling into a night of video games.

What's with the hate for him now?

Some film school dropout shitting the board up.

Why are all the contrarians just overused stale pasta spewing turboautists?

>fedoralord
"muh superiority" is what fedoras love best. They can't handle real discussions or sincerity in their opinions so they flock to ironic "funposting" crap like Letterboxd generals, bad puns and vagueposting. Anything more than juvenile "funposting" is too "reddit". It's "fun" shit and superficially meaningful "opinions" that get the most fedora attention.
They'll post pretentious shit on an imageboard for what they think is their intellectual main course and then wash it out with something like masturbating to chinese cartoons for dessert. Before settling into a night of loneliness.

>All directors are hacks. Nolan isn't reddit, he is /ourguy/.

"Experimental"? It is hollow and pretentious. Tell me what that movie was about user, please.

Villeneuve is a hack.

After Arrival the real users of this board realized he was hack coasting on Deakins

I mean just compare it the Coen brothers. Their films out with Deakins still have their style yet this guy's are completely 'styleless'

>Let me guess, your top 10 favorite movies are...
every time

It’s a parable about what it’s like to live under a totalitarian state without knowing it. It’s an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie in which you don’t even realize it’s an Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie until the end—until it’s too late for our hero. In this case, the body snatchers just happen to be giant spiders.

he's currently the new big fedora-core director. boring, inoffensive, mediocre movies with """"""tension""""" meme cinematography, ebic plot twists...
he's just one step above capeshit, which is not really a big achievement

Nearly half of this board was talking about how the visuals of Arrival is Deakins again being a "grimdark bluegrey" meme, not aware that Deakins wasn't even on the project. So Villeneuve's style is definitely there.

"Fedora-core" refers to films that are popular among adolescent teens to young males who perceive themselves to be on the fringes of society. The films that are usually mentioned, such as Fight Club, The Boondock Saints, or The Dark Knight, appeal to that sensibility, although the films vary in content, quality, and popularity among all groups. What unites them however, is a common theme of alienation and chaotic/glorified/ violence. Simply put, you could say that they are united by their nihilism (think the main character from notes from the underground). Characters like the Joker, Tyler Durden, Donnie Darko, Patrick Bateman and even Travis Bickle are relatable or ideal characters in the minds of these people.
>Examples: Drive, Kick-Ass, Dark Knight, Taxi Driver

The second type is pseudo-intellectual and pretentious bullshit that pretends it's much more complicated than it actually is. These movies are designed to be actually really fucking simple, but still just complicated enough (or have a complicated enough twist) to make plebs feel clever when they watch it.
>Examples: There Will Be Blood, Fight Club, Idiocracy, Cabin In The Wood, Matrix

The third type is high-budget modern schlock. Stuff that's 'cool', 'awesome' or 'manly' on the most superficial and juvenile level. Shit that falls under the same category as "SHARKS WITH LAZERS!" or "MUSTACHED JETPACK FIGHTS!". These movies tend to be gory or comedic or bloated, or all three.
>Examples: Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Trouble in Little China, 300, Pacific Rim

nice quote faggot

tl;dr
Go be pretentious somewhere else.

He's a good, popular director with a film currently generating a lot of threads. Sup Forums contrarians have to hate him now.

you guys are trying too hard

>boring
"Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching his films.
Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever.

>inoffensive
Quite a few people (mainly SJW's) are offended by BR2049 and were offended by the portrayal of Emily Blunt in Sicario.

Ease up on the buzzwords and try to form an actual coherent valid argument next time.

That implies they have work ethic beyond making bombs for their commie revolutions.

oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sacre bleu where me mama

even if you don't like it, it's clearly experimental by definition. Any film that has an atypical structure and style is "experimental". I loved the oppressive, paranoid atmosphere, great cinematography, fantastic performance from Gyllenhaal, disturbing spider imagery, and fantastic score. I also loved the nonlinear storytelling, and I greatly enjoy any film that is open to multiple interpretations.
you are a pretentious fucking idiot if you think Drive is anything like the other three films you listed alongside it. Your claim that "Cabin In The Woods" is somehow pretentious laughably demonstrates how little you understand about basic films that you feel are beneath you. Cabin is just a fun spoof on classic horror films, turning all their universal tropes and cliches into a unique narrative. It's a fun horror comedy that makes fun of other horror/horror comedy and never tries to be intellectual whatsoever. Also, basically nobody (at least above the age of 14, don't know if that applies to you) thinks that The Joker and Patrick fucking Bateman are relatable characters and that isn't how they are intended to be viewed.
>modern shlock
>big troube in little china
>modern
so you are not only a retarded.pretentious pseudo-intellectual, but you are just genuinely

Keep your head in the sand, princess. People smarter and more aligned with film have tried to change its meaning, but to no avail, years later it still remains the same.

OP please look up what directors do.

Didn't say he's solely responsible but he's done a lot more beautiful films than Denis has.

>muh buzzwords are valid because I'm le Sup Forums as fuck xDD
A website can't raise people, get professional help

I like how this post's absolute truth made people so angry they could only shit on your picture

>"le" poster is a fedorian
Of course

>Pretentious loser was raised by an imageboard and built his entire personality around fitting in it
Of course.

>script already written
>senile old Ridley wrote "DUDE wat if deckard and rachel had like A BABY, meaning that replicants can reproduce and that'd be like adam and eve and shit and..." religious depressed senile bullshit mumbling ensues

villeneuve had to adapt this shit and did a pretty good job hiring actual writers to make this idea less stupid, the scenario is still flawed and quite empty but he managed with what he had and it was okay

>Pretentious loser
>he says as his favorite movies fall under fedoracore
the state of this embryo

Hmm that actually sounds accurate... and scary.

Modern developed world is more tribal than 50/60s because internet communities.

>he pretends to know what my favorite movies are
You lost two replies ago but go ahead and keep digging, your anonymous friends will clearly care.

I bet you don't know the purpose of a conductor either.

Pretend? You made it extremely clear here and your whining of letterpleb threads. The babbies AKWAYS shown their true face when fedora is thrown back at them.

>if you dislike /soc/ threads you're a pseud and an embryo and your favorite movies are whatever I say they are
This website raised you well, kid.

Oh you can dislike them as much as you want as everyone does, but to whinge like you have and especially after getting fedora thrown back at you? You've written yourself out

If someone wanted to know what your favorite movies of all time are all they would need to do is read this little back and forth between us

You can keep replying though as I've "won" if it makes you feel better

>winning an anonymous discussion
I'm afraid I'll get asked for alimony eventually because of all the children this website is raising as we speak.

>break neck speed reply
>the rest not acknowledged
And there you have it lurkers. All it takes is throwing the word back at them and you expose their true nature

>talking to others as if anyone cared
You really were raised by this website, I said it as an insult but you actually did, how embarrassing.

OBSESSED

>not even a minute
This is how it goes when exposed. He will prattle on until he gets the last reply

Every time

This is literally every big budget production. The director literally just stands around and tells people to do their jobs. Wasn't it ben affleck or someone who came out and said the director is completely pointless on a competent movie set?

>I perfectly know the dynamics of this website, I was raised by it, molded by it.
Everyone knows already.

You see how he goes on about being raised by the site yet has the symptoms?
>break neck speed replies
>need for last reply
>selectively acknowledging text
It's a sickness. Perhaps something he picked from years of being on Sup Forums

Fedoras have pretty good taste

>still talking to an imaginary audience
>p-p-p-please notice me papa Sup Forums am I Sup Forums?
You can't write this shit.

See? He can't stop and now he's going full on of what he's tried to accuse his superior of.

This what happens when you display them like I have here

Thank you so much OP. I can't believe Chris Stuckmann wanted to call this guy THE modern master. He has the fucking greatest of all time cinematographer of course his visuals looked tasty. After that say "hey A List actors act like you are emotionless robots" then add a boring script with a couple edgy scenes and people think you're being profound.

Anyway I guess I am parroting OP so I'll shut up but its just interesting how nobody cared about this guy till he got a good cinematographer and A list cast with Arrival and now Blade Runner.

My theory on Villenuve is that he is really good at charming people to work with him and admittedly, executing the ideas his team has, hes definitely not a shitty director but goddamnit he's not New Godard.

>his superior
Yours is the mind of a child on Sup Forums, normally people had an interest and flock here to discuss it but you're of the following generation, people that grew up reading people like me and built their taste around our consensus or lack thereof.
I'll leave it here, I wouldn't want you to feel rejected by what clearly is a parental.role for you.

See he again only acknowledges one thing and projects his empty life into mine to save face

He proved himself to be raised here again in his last post with his greentext stuttering. A child of Sup Forums who never left the mentality

>see
You keep talking to an imaginary audience, top cringe.

its fun to watch Sup Forums imploding over Blade Runner because half really like it and half feel the need to be contrarian (or just have shit taste)

And he tops it all off with "cringe". You can see he can't stop and won't because he was actually raised here(Sup Forums as he would have some sense of cinema if it was Sup Forums)

>be me on twitter
>this fuck goes on a rant how BR2049 is failing because cast is overly white
>goes on to blame his opinion of "too much subtlety" in the film on Ridley Scott alone
>tell him I disagree, but if he's going to pin his opinion on someone, he should at least blame Villeneuve too
>says Scott pretty much cucked Villeneuve

I guess we should take out all credits to Denis since the consensus is that he had ZERO involvement.

>you can see, imaginary ladies and gentlemen, how he used a word I dislike, invalidating what he said. I know this because you, imaginary ladies and gentlemen, saw me grow up in here, and that gives my opinion extra validity.

Nolanfags BTFO

More greeentext, more replies in Sup Forums speed, more wanting to get the last reply

All whilst he says "I'll leave it here"

>he was hack coasting on Deakins
Except his 2 best films are from before he even met Deakins

>he couldn't see the poster counter going up.
I thought you were Sup Forums as fuck, that's what you were telling everyone ITT.

>he's now admit he's phone posting to keep replying just so he gets the last one
Typical. Note that his style of posting didn't change at all yet he claims to be someone else