Ben Affleck on why he might not direct ‘The Batman’

>“But it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great I’m not going to do it.”

WAKE ME UP

batman-news.com/2017/01/01/ben-affleck-says-he-might-not-direct-the-batman/

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/12/15/the-batman-and-gotham-city-sirens-eye-2018-releases/#8e7c295b20ae
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel2016.htm
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=dc2016.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No one likes a loosing team.

he's said the same shit for a while now, this isnt him saying he doesnt want to do it, just that he wont do it till he thinks he has the perfect script.

DCuck damage control

Come on over to team Marvel Studios Affleck. We'll take good care of you

Wasn't the shooting supposed to start this spring? How the heck there still no script?

Why can't I stop watching this WEBM?

Read the article carefully

>no script

This is DC's biggest problem right now: They have a bunch of "idea guys" going "Let's make Batman! Let's make the Flash!" But no scripters writing a story for them to film. You gotta do the right process or you will wind up with a disaster

>affleck doesn't want to do batman unless the script is perfect
>will go to Disney's Marvel's Studio where he would literally have zero control over the bland quip fest

please

His attempts at making it perfect will only ruin the whole thing

>Warner Bros cancels all future DC plans.
>Marvel announces Squadron Supreme film.
>Cavil cast as Hyperion and Afleck cast as Nighthawk.

Trouble with the DCEU? Perish the thought.

He's been saying it since at least October when he was on the press tour for the Accountant, and now he's saying it because he's on the press tour for Live By Night and people are still asking him questions about a movie that doesn't exist even in draft form.

No? No date has been set. Nobody's ever announced anything official about it, just their intention to make one with him at some future point.

They put Affleck and Johns on as writers knowing Affleck had two other movies to promote and JL to film and presumably fit his story around.

They knew he wouldn't have anything by now.

The article references another article from the same site which in turn references a Variety article, and a Guardian article.

Both the Variety and Guardian articles were part of the Live By Night press tour, likely conducted in early December before LA shut down for the holidays. At no point in either is Affleck directly quoted saying he expects to start shooting, only that (in the Variety article) "We’re on the right track with that and everything is coming together,” he said. “We’re still finishing up a script. I’m very excited.”

The Guardian article doesn't contradict this directly, but he says there "That’s the idea. But it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great I’m not going to do it.”

Read carefully: these statements may have been made on the same day, a phonecall apart. In one he's saying there may be a script, in another he's saying there's no script at all. "Finishing up" may mean "we just started but I know everybody reads Variety in this town and nobody reads the Guardian, so I'm going to lie" or it may mean "we've just agreed on the first pre-shooting draft"; either way there's about a dozen major revisions to come before it's ready. There's no way to tell which interview he gave first.

I really, really want them to cast Cavill as Wonder Man.

The washed-up actor who starts out as a villain is a perfect role for him. Sure they did those joke posters already, but Cavill would really be perfect for it.

If Cavill is Wonder Man then who'd be Grim Reaper?

at that stage just go balls to the wall and cast Michael Shannon

or mix it up with Antje Traue in the role

Let's just go and cast the rest of the DC guys.

The Rock-The Champion

They only have Goyer and Synder instead of a Feige to guide the cinematic universe so everything goes well.

Exactly. WB may put some restrictions (eg forcing Snyder to make BvS before Man of Steel 2) but they let you do whatever you want with those restrictions. The MCU studios control everything.

People have one foot out the door on this entire mess. Justice League will probably kill the DCEU. Aquaman was pushed back and Flash STILL doesnt have a director

It worked great for BvS. Obviously critics don't like good products, but I'm glad it was made for me anyway. Too bad about the studio not making money though.

>squad
>bvs
>flash
>wonder woman
>justice league

WB is much worse to work for than Marvel. At least Marvel gives their directors more freedom to create their own thing.

>it's all bullshit, as usual
I wonder who is so interested in destroying WB/DC?

>implying the MCU isn't the same old formula
Get a real job.

I'm 75% sure Shazam is still going to happen. It won't be a DCEU film though since the DCEU will be dead by the time they start production

Seriously what's happening with Flash? Isn't it supposed to start filming soon?

Did they delay it?

The only movies that follow the same "formula" are Iron Man and Ant-Man.

According to Forbes, yes

forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/12/15/the-batman-and-gotham-city-sirens-eye-2018-releases/#8e7c295b20ae

Then the Rock can stay as Black Adam.
Let's have Cavil be Captain Marvel

>At least Marvel gives their directors more freedom to create their own thing.
Source? The movies show otherwise. Snyder interviews show that he was given freedom. You got anything like that?

To be honest as much as people love to blame Disney, I actually think the press are extremely intent on destroying WB/DC for some weird reason.

I've never seen such sharp, intense and unending vitriol for other studios.

And to be fair, Ant-Man had to be rewritten a lot due to Edgar Wright's direction going nowhere for a lot of time, and thus Peyton Reed went with something similar to Iron Man (or maybe Wright's script was actually a clone of Iron man).

Does anybody know how much did the script got modified from the original plan?

> but they let you do whatever you want with those restrictions.

DCfag delusion. Let's just ignore what happened with Suicide Squad.

You have no clue how Marvel works. They pitch comic movies to directors and then let the director pitch back what they want to do with the concept. It's how James Gunn got the Guardians of the Galaxy job, and he has more creative freedom than anyone at DC Films fight now.

What the hell is with DC and their inability to make a fucking film that isn't a trainwreck?

I mean say what you want about Marvel but at least the movies are somewhat competent.

It's depressing.

>The movies show otherwise.

Not really

Avenger 1 & 2 are very much Whedon
Iron Man 3 is very much Shane Black
Iron Man 1 & 2 very much Favreau
Cap 2 & 3 very much Russo's
Thor very much Kenneth Branagh
Ant-man very much Peyton Reed
Guardians 1 & 2 very much Gunn

Spider-man, Black Panther, Ragnarok all appear to be following suit.

Marvel studios just supports their film makers more that DC/WB. Time to deal with the facts user.

Well, based on evidence of recent years, Rupert Murdoch would do anything he can to try and reduce Time Warner's share price so that he can afford to take it over.

As far as bullshit goes, there's literally two interviews conducted in the past month in which Affleck says two conflicting things about the possible Batman movie, but in neither of them are they happy enough with their quotes to have him saying when it's happening. "In the spring" isn't a thing: it's January. In a couple of weeks it's going to be spring; you'd need to already have booked all your crew, started moving equipment out for location shoots, whatever. You can't just shoot a $200m budget on iPhones without permits or a studio/director/star-approved script. Filmmaking is a consensus operation with huge logistical challenges.

They've been saying it's going to happen for a decade now. I'm not holding my breath, especially since they kicked it over to New Line. Weird choice.

Might be a good "fresh-start" choice for a potential do-over though.

March, but with a release date that's up against the new Tomb Raider. The originals didn't do huge business, but who even fucking knows these days. If you were pitting Flash fans against Tomb Raider fans direct (and not involving casual audiences), I'd say the TR fans win out by numbers. As far as reputation... depends on how people feel about the DCEU by March 2018 (which is an optimistic date anyway and will likely change).

Yeah there were some major changes

>Wright reportedly wanted a highly stylized, completely standalone movie, and rejected the revisions demanded by the studio.

>Wright's draft featured Scott Lang as a petty crook who's been arrested several times; Hank Pym as a mad scientist driven by ego; a love triangle between Scott, his ex-wife Maggie and his childhood friend Paxton; Darren Cross becoming the Nano Warrior; and minor roles for Hope Van Dyne and Scott's crew, which was comprised by eight criminals.

>Reed's revisions added Yellowjacket; the Quantum Realm; Hope, Luis, Kurt and Dave being prominent characters; Maggie and Paxton being minor characters; and Scott fighting the Falcon.

Also the first half of Wright's Ant-Man focused on Pym

And Cap 1 very much Joe Johnston

Iron Man 2 is the Marvel film with the most executive meddling though

These are true.

It's more accurate to say Marvel picks film makers that they feel fit their universe best.

To be perfectly fair to DC and Affleck here, there's no real story. People are desperate for the new Batman movie (which is good for WB, I guess) to do something... define the DCEU? Rescue it? Cap it off so we can all move on with our lives? and the reporting reflects that. As Affleck himself has said repeatedly, whenever he's asked about Batman and gives a noncommittal answer it gets written up as start date-script-release date, even though WB hasn't officially announced the movie and if anything has scaled back their plans (originally they were talking about three Batman solos, but there doesn't seem to be any space in their schedule for that inside of a reasonable timeframe).

Not damage control here (personally I don't think Affleck wants to continue in the role and, as he says, only took it for his son), just pointing out the facts. Clickbait ate itself and is currently hoovering up its own shit like candy, that's what this is.

>trying to distance himself from the film already

Fuck, is it going to that bad?

And yet still feels very much like a Favreau film. I'm not even mad about the meddling anymore 1: since they cooled down on it and Feige i in complete control. 2: Future films have nicely tied into it.

How long do you really think he's gonna sit around and wait patiently for them to come up with a script that he likes?

After a certain number of years, people move the fuck on. That's why we never got a Superman movie in the 90's.

Also, wasn't Wright's script making Pym a villain by the end or some shit too?

>loosing
yikes

I agree on Gunn, and Johnston but the rest are pretty slim or forced. Maybe Branagh since I've never seen any of his movies so I'll assume bland shit on a dutch angle is just his style.

But very much Peyton Reed? He's a fucking RomCom director and his most recognized work was Bring It On. Ant-Man was a heist action movie. It doesn't really fit side by side with The Break-Up or Liar Liar 2.

Watts makes dumb silly B-movies and Homecoming doesn't look anything like Cop Car or Clown. It looks more akin to an 80s John Hughes movie. Which is exactly what it's inspired by.

The Russos barely have a fucking style. They're comedy TV directors. Winter Solider isn't comparable to some episode of Community or You, Me, and Dupree past the bland TV show lighting all these movies have.

Shane Black witty style is only present because of the tone Favreau's Iron Man set, and Iron Man doesn't really feel like any of his other movies. And Iron Man 2 was a goddamn production nightmare. IM3 is a lot more somber than most of Shane Black's other movies too.

I'd say the first Avengers movie barely feels like a Whedon thing outside of killing off a beloved popular character. The characters quip but Widow is never elevated above the boys, nor AOU sure as fuck does however throughout since no one ever shuts up in it. It too was a nightmare as producers meddled with the film at various points forcing him to change his vision and plans.

All the movies watch more or less the same

No the villain was always Darren Cross as Nano Warrior

JUUUUUUST

Enjoy your vacation, Disney shill.

Marvel is already ripping off DC with their Thunderbolts movie, so If totally expect this kind of creative bankruptcy from them.

Oh look, the Disney shills are pushing more fake news.

>mcu
>freedom
>marvel fanboys will defend this

Exactly, he gets a nice vacation, while DCucks suffer in their basement for five cents an hour.

>implying they don't do it for free

>MCU
>Freedom

Are you retarded? They've lost a bunch of directors due to not allowing them and freedom.

With the MCU you have super strict rules you have to follow, which mostly consists of remaking Iron Man with a different skin.

>WW gets mediocre reviews and box office
>JL gets panned and makes significantly less than BvS
>Affleck pulls out of doing The Batman
>DCEU scrapped
Based Affleck sacrificing his (no doubt huge) paycheck for all us DC fans.

Hopefully when they try again this time they put someone competent in charge and file a restraining order again Snyder and his wife.

You may have been a shit Batman Affleck, but I salute you for your sacrifice.

Enjoy your ban.

>Thunderbolts movie

What Thunderbolts movie? What the fuck are you even talking about?

>Flash had 3 directors drop, still no director
>wonder woman had a director drop, hired a yes broad that hasn't worked on a movie in over a decade
>squad director had 0 creative control
>snyder has no creative control over justice league
>aquaman director almost left

whew lad. DC/WB is trash.

Marlel has been shilling the Thunderbolts recently, and they only do that when a movie is in the works.

>Marvel announces Squadron Supreme film.
I fully believe that this will happen before WB makes a good DC film.

Honestly at this point WB should just license out the DC movie rights to Disney and Disney can license the Marvel comics rights to DC. Everybody wins.

t.Disney shill

>2017
>Boco still alive
>still posting on Sup Forums
SHUT IT!!

But Marvel still hasn't made a good movie?

Iron Man wasn't any good the first time around and the 15 times they've remade it hasn't been any good either.

So their universe is just going to implode soon?

Edgy

Isn't this old news?

Also, good on him - do it right or not at all

jesus christ, everything that needed to be said, i already put here which was then expanded upon here , thats all that needed to be said.

Why is Sup Forums so fucking autistic that they always fall for clickbait rumors, same shit with faraci's tales.

>t-t-turn away

Why are Disney shills so desperate?

There's only three goddamned movies. MoSa and BvS did fine and SS was a huge hit. Meanwhile at Marvel, Iron Man was a hit and Captain America and Hulk were both tremendous flops.

I mean I know Marvel fanboys have always been territorial and hated everything that isn't Marvel, but this kind detachment from reality is just too much. Do you really think that WB is just going to stop making movies to make Disney happy, especially if they're making tons of money?

For fuck's sake, there were Marvel fans on this very site trying to set up protests to chase people away from theaters where Suicide Squad was playing. You people are fucking damaged.

Why are DCEUfags such fucking shills?

The DCEU is a fucking mess. The movies have been universally panned and you have no idea what you're doing Sirens and Squad movies before Flash even has a director or Green Lanterns even officially announced Better to kill it now and start again right this time.

>I mean I know Marvel fanboys have always been territorial and hated everything that isn't Marvel, but this kind detachment from reality is just too much.

Based Disnigger trying to #CorrectTheRecord

>universally panned

And Ghostbusters was universally beloved. Turns out, critics bring personal biases into things! Who knew?

And you've still not explained why they'd stop making movies to suck Disney's dick when they're making money.

>Marvel fans are definitely not the ones flooding every Fox, Sony, and WB movie thread with "THEY SHOULD SELL TO MARVEL! STAN LEE IS OUR GOD AND BENDIS IS HIS PROPHET! DANCE OFF BRO!"

ok shill

and then there's you fucks, gg.

Lantern will likely not happen for a long while thanks to the last try and Fumimya wanted to make a Flash film full of white cop on black kid social commentary. Did you really want that in any flash media?

Because so far the movies have only been making money because they've been cashing in on hype and name recognition. If they continue to put out movies people don't like then then they're poisoning there brand and people won't believe the hype.
>y-you can't prove people didn't like them

>those terrible cinema scores
>those box office drops
>those reviews
You can stick your head in the sand all you want but it's an objective fact that the majority of the GA don't like the DCEU.

I wonder what your excuses will be when the first ever Justice League film doesn't even make 800 mil?

>Fumimya wanted to make a Flash film full of white cop on black kid social commentary. Did you really want that in any flash media?

none of this is true

Then WB are fucking more incompetent than I thought. They signed a director (the second for the movie) for a big budget movie without even knowing what his plans for it were before hand.

Seems to back up the "WB are reactionary as all hell" rumors.

>those box office drops

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel2016.htm
>Civil War
>59.3%

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=dc2016.htm
>Suicide Squad
>65.1%

I guess that 5% makes all the difference, huh?

You do realize that all Superhero movies have huge drops because they have huge openings, right? Turns out when everyone goes to see a movie on the first night, there's less people who need to see it the second week.

From 1 being Blade from Community to 10 being the Germans after WW1, how fucking butthurt is this dc cuck that has been spamming this board for 3 years now?

>WB IS SHIT! THEY DONT GIVE DIRECTORS FREEDOM!
>But when they do, they're even more stupid!

Absolutely transparent Disniggery

>a movie is in the works.

[Citation needed]

its the exact reason they dropped him.

He was given creative control and he fucked it up.

Leave this kind of stuff to people who not convenience store clerks son.

Suicide Squad had no kind of opposition in it's run and it was summer. There's a lot of things to take into consideration and yes, 5% on openings >100 million is kind of huge.

>Flash had 3 directors drop
Well technically four. Chris Miller and Phillip Lord, Rick Famuyiwa, and Seth Grahame-Smith

>no opposition

It was up against a shitload of animated movies, my ESL friend, kncluding an animated Disney movie.

The only reason Mouse shills claim it was "up against nothing" was that it blew the fuck out of everything else.

>DCfags in charge of reading

as opposed to CW coming out against what, Angry Birds?

quit baiting

>It was up against a shitload of animated movies
Only Sausage Party and that was rated R.

oi, story time somthing

The fuck are you even talking about?

If they signed on Famuyiwa without even knowing what his vision for the film was first then they're objectively incompetent.

Don't forget the box office smash that was Kubo. Or Pete's Dragon

>Civil War had to contend with the intense competition of Angry Birds!
>SS was only up against Star Trek 3, Sausage Party, Pete's Dragon

k, what do you want?

I like how you conveniently left out BvS's historical drops. and even then I'm not just talking the 1st to 2nd weekend drops. BvS had no legs whatsoever.

Are you actually trying to say that the first ever movie starring the two biggest superheros of all time not even making 900 mil was a success? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So you're saying that because SS beat a Disney movie, it doesn't count as competition? Would it only count as competition if Pete's Dragon beat SS?

And? Sausage Party was a big hit but didn't make as much as SS. At this point you're just bullshitting

Keep trying to #correctTheRecord, Ratfucker

It's presumpous to call DC's movie universe doomed after only 3 movies. Give it more. Batman and Superman is safer to do because of how many casuals fans they have. But Wonder Woman? Aquaman? Cyborg? They're actual gambles and will be cinematic dumpster fires without a strong script.

The thing about Marvel is that they took and continue to take characters that casuals don't strongly like or recognize such as Thor, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Vision, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and utilize them well enough.

Compare that to Sony who took the Fantastic Four and Spider-man and took characters people know and run their franchises into the ground. Sony got lucky with X-men.

Star Trek Beyond was in July and it flopped.