Cassandra Cain Thread

Essential Cass readings?

I know nothing about this character, but she looks fucking rad

DC has started to release Batgirl v1 in TPB, so the must-reads are that and No Man's Land.

the best Batgirl

As of later this month all of the Puckett/Scott run will be in trade form at last.

Now will DC continue with this good will and release Horrocks' run next given his stuff on Cass never got a trade period.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much but DC collecting Cass's run as Batgirl in these new trades makes me think they may be planning something special related to Cass.

I think it is just throwing her fanbase a bone to make a quick buck, like bringing her back after FP. Or, if there is a plan, it was made by Tynion and is doubtless fucking awful.

The plan is probably to have a more Bat-like costume and adopted if the last two arcs have taught us that Tynion is bringing certain angles back from the past (Tim wearing a more Robin-style costume plus being back close to Bruce and Stephanie, then Stephanie going back to full on mask and wild card bitches to the group).

Though will Tynion bite the bullet and have Bruce adopt her? Or will it be Kate adopt her (whom I'm presuming will)?

If DC gave her a new ongoing I'd be more fearful because I always dread a Cassandra ongoing with the name, "Adam Beechen". That gut punch from Vol. 2 still stings to this day.

"Oh DC is giving Cass a new mini! Maybe this will-- *Adam Beechen announced as the writer* fuuuuuuck."

At this point I'd just rather it be an ongoing with Cass, Stephanie, and Harper since Tim is superfluous basically replaced by Harper. But if it's Tim. I'd rather have him.
Because all three just have amazing chemistry.

has beechen even worked for DC in the past 5 years?

Not really. His last job at DC was the Batman Beyond ongoing. He's left comics back to his safe haven of cartoons and is head writer on Transformers: Robots in Disguise.

And this is how Emi was really born.

Isn't Ollie supposed to be around the same age as Bruce?

Among his numerous failings, Ollie is a creepy old pervert.

>At this point I'd just rather it be an ongoing with Cass, Stephanie, and Harper since Tim is superfluous
Tim is "dead" at the moment and Steph is having some kind of contrariness freak-out, so maybe TEC will just be Cass and Clayface's adventures for a while.

Genevieve Valentine said writing a Cassandra Cain solo was pretty much her dream, so DC has a golden opportunity should they decide to give Cass her own book.

So there was this user who claimed to be a WB/DC insider and was doing an AMA over at Sup Forums. In one of their responses he says that Barbara Gordon is going to be Oracle in the DCEU.
While they also say that there are no plans for Batgirl, Barbara being Oracle still implies that Batgirl is not going to be Barbara, which could mean that the DCEU's Batgirl could potentially be Cass.

Now of course, knowing what site we are on, this "insider" could very well be spewing complete bullshit so take it with a grain of salt.

That be my choice for writer. I'm glad Takara is returning to the character for the first part of the arc on Tec.

He gets the character unlike basically almost all the artists on B&RE. I kind of hope they give Damion Scott the chance to do a variant cover for this arc. The man is thirsty wanting to handle the character he helped co-create after so many years.

I take any news here with a grain of salt unless I myself can find information that can almost back that leak up.

abandon all hope, you foolish fool

>cass has her own hit book

>lots of fans

>didio cancels it because he hates cass for some reason

>fans whine for years to bring cass back

>like a decade later, didio finally gives her a mini series, but makes sure it's terrible so it doesn't sell well, so he can say "see? cass doesn't sell!" as an excuse to never utilize her in a real way ever again

Why did they make Cassandra Cain so young in the New 52? She's like a kid.

>The plan is probably to have a more Bat-like costume

A cool idea could be having Cass's bat symbol be made out of stitching like the area around the mouth part of her mask.

>>didio cancels it because he hates cass for some reason

Was it racism?

Sounds like you got the basics down then.

He fucked JG Jones' wife, Jann Jones, who is asian, so I don't think so.

wut

Because she was as old as Tim and still looks it? Also the Hatchery just reminded me of the bullshit Azrael went through when he found out how "angels" are made for St. Dumas in the old continuity.

You can be racist and still fuck people that are of the races you are racist against.

Unlikely, he just hates legacies.
Other than that, the man has good taste and a strong enough position to protect great, but weak books.

>he just hates legacies.

He should go work at Marvel then.

So is she supposed be around the same age as Tim then?

He doesn't advertise them for shit though. How many advertisements were made for OMAC and All-Star Western? Fuck, what support did he give Demon Knights?

She looks it, especially with how she's grouped with all the young'ns in TEC right now.

young'ns?

Do you not understand accents? Younglings. The bratpack. The kids of the group. The only one that doesn't count would be Clayface since he was around the same age as Bruce or even older.

Sorry I just misunderstood what you were saying. I thought there was some group of young kids or something in Tec and I was struggling to think of who you meant. Also I looked back at the last issue of Tec and I have to say she actually does look a bit older now and at least close to Tim's age wise.

>the best Batgirl

Nobody cared who she was until she took off the mask...

All the kids are gone except Cass after Steph went full-bitch.

Why Bruce will probably be all Bat dad in her arc.

To be fair, her series at the time was just below Robin and Nightwing plus I wanna say neck and neck with Birds of Prey, but just above Catwoman around 22,000 or just more.

There was a multitude of reasons why her ongoing was canceled. The #1 reason was her comic was being replaced by Batwoman by Devin Grayson and ?. The editors at the time thought that two female Bat comics would be one too many. So Cass was given the boot.

The thing you must also realize is it's not just Didio. He may have the final say, but it wasn't just him. There were other people involved in this: the Batman editors at the time with one being Pete Tomasi.

If you truly think Didio hates Cassandra at least the man honored her time as an Outsider in his final issue. Tomasi just completely ignored her and he even used the same bunch of characters that were running around when he had Outsiders. That's just the tip of how much he ignored her.

Also Volume 2 was about three or four years after her ongoing was canceled. She was a villain for almost two years. Then Dixon (who was a last minute addition along with the artist) added her to Batman & the Outsiders.

Basically DC brought him back to clean up her and bring back Stephanie Brown. The man had plans for both characters but again editorial shenanigans made him rage quit. So we got Beechen instead. In that regard I do believe Didio or someone fully wanted to sabotage Cass and replace her with Barbara.

The final issues for Birds of Prey and Nightwing teased Barbara returning to the cowl. Didio even confirmed this idea was like many ended at the last moments because of other writers (Gail Simone) stepping in saying, this was a bad idea.

Even though Cass and Bruce's single scene together in B&RF was pretty good, I wish I had faith that Tynion wouldn't make a mess of things.

>socially awkward
>cannot drive
>still a virgin
So this is why she has fans...

Cass can fly an airplane and drive a motorcycle.

>still a virgin
>implying that she hasn't fucked Tim

He was talking about OP

That's not what I read in Gabrych's run.

> implying that was Tim was her first when it was Slade.

implying anyone would lower their standards for Tim

Chuck Dixon run on Batman and the Outsiders (2007) was the best Cass in some long time, in fact all characters are good written.

What was the reaction when DC announced Stephanie was replacing Cass as Batgirl? I understand it was 2009 so obviously not that long ago but I still feel that if it happened today the reaction would be lot more explosive and volatile. Like there would be a bunch of angry comments on twitter and facebook directed towards DC accusing them of being racist and articles with headlines like "DC Replaces Eurasian Batgirl with White Girl" and "Is DC racist?".

The grand problem with it is that it goes nowhere. Dixon leaves after issue 12 (due to rage quiting). Then Frank Tieri cleans up with three issues basically turning it to a sequel to Batgirl Vol 2 by dealing with the subplot that wasn't finished.