I bought myself an anthology of Jodorowsky's Metabaron series. I kind of felt...disappointed...

I bought myself an anthology of Jodorowsky's Metabaron series. I kind of felt...disappointed. Maybe it's because I never read The Incal, but the entire story kind of fell flat for me, and I couldn't get into it. The art was good but it felt samey after a while, and I got annoyed by how every other word would get prefixed with bio- or paleo- or robo- or mega-.

Should I try The Incal or just move on?

(Also Eurocomic general)

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomics.tv/falka/chapter-1
amazon.com/Black-Order-Brigade-Enki-Bilal/dp/0967240182
amazon.com/Hunting-Party-Pierre-Christin/dp/0967240174/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I got annoyed by how every other word would get prefixed with bio- or paleo- or robo- or mega-
This post literally made me vomit.

My opinion was the same.

I finished Pic related a few minutes ago. I really enjoyed it.

Though, if you move on and are looking for other big space adventure stuff that's less bio, paleo, robo or mega try:
>Elaine Lee's Starstruck
>Mike Baron and Steve Rude's Nexus
>Howard Chaykin and Mike Mignola and PCR's Ironwolf

I thought MetaBarons was the best shit ever and had read Incal prior, but they're so barely connected that I don't think it has any bearing.
IMO it'd awlays find a way to keep the structure novel, and the twist was ace. I also loved all that prefix shit so we might just have very different tastes in media.

What kind of turned me off was that it felt like the story was trying to be a grand sweeping epic like a classic greek tragedy, but everything feels so squished. we barely get any feel for the characters before they'll killed off, and the insistence on the importance on the traditions of the Metabarons seems kind of silly when the entire lineage is like three generations
i would like to add Orbital to this list. Orbital is amazing as far as art and world building goes

Also the Incal cycle and (to a lesser extent) Technopriests were a lot more philosophical, if you're looking for something deeper. MetaBarons is the cathartic dumb fun corner of the Jodoverse IIRC.
There're still prefixes tho. The Technopriests themselves are originally called, I shit you not, "the Techno-technos".

>people genuinely don't like this
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Also it's nuts that you complain about plot and then recommend a Moebius comic.

Yeah, you might prefer Incal.

Second pic's from Technopriests.

in what order should I read jodorowski's works?

I would start with the Incal, then if you like the book, the Technopriests and Metabaron. would also recommend looking at his work he did on a speculative Dune project that never came to fruition which inspired like 60% of everything

Hey we're not suggesting starting with the air tight garage, these are pretty solid works. I would also add to the list a..damnit, the name escapes me. It's a really long running science fiction comic about a a man and a woman who act as

In what order should you LIVE

Presuming you mean Jodoverse exclusively (haven't read his other stuff just yet), it comes in 3 main chunks. Incal, Metabarons, Technopriests.
Incal's split up into the seminal work, a prequel called Before the Incal and 2 sequels called After the Incal & Final Incal. I want to say read the original first but I read Before first, thinking it was the original. On the one hand it ends exactly as the main story starts and provides a whole lot of context, but that context is probably stuff Jodo only came up with after the fact anyway so maybe it's intended to be read after. Plus one of the main characters in Before doesn't come up again until After/Final, another point in order-of-publication's favor.
Metabarons and Technopriests both feature characters/concepts that come up in Incal but are essentially standalone self-contained stories. The titular Metabaron's absence during most of Metabarons was due to his escapades in Incal, but it's been a while & I'm less than 50% sure. IIRC both were released as 3 trades, and in both cases the 3rd was half the size of the prior 2. At least when I read them; things might be streamlined now.
There are a ton of Metabarons spinoffs too, but they're so awkward to get a hold of and so irrelevant to the main book that people don't much like them. Off the top of my head I remember Metabarons Castaka (prequel to Metabarons, telling of the very first Metabaron), Weapons of the Metabaron (short story about the incumbent MB) and some snippet grabbed from some old Heavy Metal Christmas Special or something. I think a baby was involved. Technopriests didn't have spinoffs but there's a short one-and-done story in the Jodoverse that's kind of like it called Megalex.
Basically order as related to Incal is essentially unimportant, but I'd advise reading them after on principle. At least, after the core Jodo/Moebius Incal, I think I read it in this weird winding hodgepodge with Final Incal at the very end, maybe cuz I couldn't find it.

damnit, I forgot to edit my post. The name of the comic is obviously Valerian and Laureline, and they travel through time and space to some really gorgeously illustrated planets righting wrongs

I found out recently that Incal was literally Jodo's way of making use of Moebius' Dune concept art. Cool dude.

Haven't heard of this one, assumed you meant Aedena.

*MIGHT HAVE BEEN due to his escapades in Incal

>Haven't heard of this one,
It's getting a movie soon, so I expect to see Valerian & Laureline getting mentioned around here more often.

Anybody know if the Spanish version of L’Incal was written by Jodorowsky himself? I'm a native Spanish speaker and it’d be cool to read his own dialogue and not a translation.

This looks like the thread to ask. I'm having trouble finding a comic of european origin that I can just not place. It was a science fiction story set in the future where a soldier is turned into a warrior woman so he can infilitrate an alien planet. Anyone here able to help me out with a title?

Ohhhhhhh ,THAT one!
I thought it wasn't Moebius? Thought it was from the trailer (especially the helmets), but then I looked it up and Wikipedia said no.

Incal's translations are fucking janky, yeah.
Personally I find it's part of the charm.

No but sounds hot so I'll second the request.

Found it! it's called Falka

readcomics.tv/falka/chapter-1 it's also online

>samey
>A begat B, B begat C
It feels like biblical genealogy, which is perfect imo.

lit

Not in this comic- lesbian. There is a straight almost romance but it turns out really bad.

>What kind of turned me off was that it felt like the story was trying to be a grand sweeping epic like a classic greek tragedy, but everything feels so squished
That's been my problem with a lot of different Euro comics. An interesting premise that needed more time to explore.

IMO you can only say this if you have some specific idea of what needed to be explored further.

>and I got annoyed by how every other word would get prefixed with bio- or paleo- or robo- or mega-.
better not read any kind of Silver Age DC then, especially Superboy/Superman. Everything is super- or space-

>This post literally made me vomit.

One of thr first symptoms of aids iirc.

Unlucky.

what a paleo faggot.

Your brain has been warped by capeshit, The Metabarons is unironically one of the greatest comics ever created.

>The Metabarons is unironically one of the greatest comics ever created

lol no

Find me another comic with a single panel this amazing.

me on the left

I'm not one to usually get into petty internet arguments but you have one of the wrongest opinions I have ever heard.

Yeah, I don't know why this is, you'd think that having more pages and more time would prevent it happening, but a lot of series have totally awesome setups and middle bits, but then the ending is squished into like 5 pages of the third 40-something page volume.

People hype his sci-fi stuff hard, but what's not been mentioned so far and in my opinion his best work is Bouncer. It's a western currently on 9 volumes (but only 7 available in English due to rights fuckery between humanoids and Glenat), no overly trippy bullshit, no convoluted nonsense, just good honest-to-god Western awesomeness. Fantastic art by Boucq doesn't hurt either.

I dunno, I think Jodorowsky is more for athmosphere and concepts, not storyline. I'd say the Incal also does not have much of a story, more like a surreal athmosphere that jumps from plot point to plot point in an associative way.

That's what I like about Jodorowsky, but it probably isn't for everyone.

Is more than one prefix per character is really already too much for capeshit retards?

>Lesbian

You mean he never stops identifying as a heterosexual man in a woman's body.

kek
I love it too but can see why it's maybe a little blunt for some sensibilities.
That very bluntness is why it's so GOOD.

First time I read Jodorowsky I suddenly realized "...damn this is what Morrison keeps trying to be."
I guess the movie experience really helps. :^)

Let's not and say we did hmm?

wew lad

A serious question - should Eurocomic General move to /aco/?

We could post shit like Serpieri and Manara storytimes without getting banned then.

Jodorowsky and Morison are like...the complete opposite.

This looks hilariously edgy

>Eurocomic General

What eurocomic general? We tried a while back and they just died out. Now we just occasionally have discussions for a couple hundred pages, some storytimes and everything else dies out in a handful of posts.

Pretty much my thoughts too, I don't think Morrison will ever come close partly due to not having the same batshit crazy life Jodorowsky's had.

Go through interviews and talks with Jodorowsky, and it's clear he's a very intelligent man who just happens to be interested in magic and other esoteric things. The other thing that becomes clear is that this a man who once coached an elephant on how to act opposite Peter O'Toole.

For me, it reads like a modern chanson de geste or epic. And it's perfect within those boundaries.
Sometimes Jodo is really uninspired, like in Megalex, but I find the metabarons almost perfect in its over-the-top way.

Have a look at /aco/ catalog, and then tell me that something like Blacksad will fit right in (exposed nipples, got banned once or twice while storytiming it)
Crossthreading while there's an eurocomic thread on Sup Forums is effective, but /aco/ isn't big on eurocomics as far as I see.

Maybe in terms of their affinity for capeshit. Tonally & contextually, I couldn't shake the feeling. I'd been trying really hard to get into Morrison comics around the time and had come away consistently unsatisfied.

There's a Eurocomic General?

Oh you have NO idea.

It's by Christin and Meziere. It ran from 1967 to 2010, and is very diverse, one book being space wars while the next one is investigations in 1980 NY. The ending of the series is shit, though.
And it inspired a lot of modern sci-fi.

It is, but in a good way. It doesn't take itself seriously

Yes, it is. It's also hilarious and dumb and pretty much every Metabaron blows up at least one universe.

MULTI PROTONIC PELVIS

Jodorowsky was never a good storyteller. This isn't even a contrarian opinion. The Holy Mountain, El Topo, The Dance of Reality; none of them are particularly interesting in any way related to narrative or characters. Where Jodorowsky excels is taking mundane concepts and making them fantastical. The idea of a boy growing into a man through the use of literal parades, death, and fire. He's not a fine edge like Paul Thomas Anderson, who can delicately craft realistic stories and characters with depth. He's a blunt hammer, he just takes stuff like masculinity, family, and war, and throws them against the page and that's what you get. It's why he uses prefixes like cause he doesn't care about creating a realistic universe, he just wants the reader to instantly get what he's referencing even if its something only out of fantasy.

The Incal is better in a way if you want something with a more substantial story but The Metabarons imo is much better in making use of Jodorowsky's talents and in turn making better use of the science fiction genre.

Taking regular things and making them as big as possible.

>valerian et laureline ended

Well fuck, I should keep myself up to date on stuff like that. Turns out there's 5 tomes I haven't read.

I gotta hit the library some time. then I could also get to finish the last 2 tomes of Darkmoon Chronicles

Yeah, I think Jodorowsky is more of a surrealist than Grant Morrison is, though. He doesn't need order and systematics like Grant Morrison does.

Grant Morrison is what would have happened if Jodorowsky and Robert Anton Wilson had a son together. A son who would try to impress both of his fathers.

How the fuck do you come to that conclusion?

This is a pretty good summation of Jodorowsky's work and Metabarons.

And Jordo is an asshole.

How so?

Sup Forums would be thrilled.

Jodorowsky is a meme writer.

He's held up by working with amazing artists like Moebius and Gimenez.

Hey user, what do you think of Image's current and perennial crop of sci-fi books

That hits a bit too close...

OP, try Bilal. The Nikopol Trilogy

More easier to digest and a great story

>Sup Forums gets redpilled

>starstruck
>still never completed

I know its the prequel to the Play but there clearly is suppose to be stuff after the prequel that she had planned

oh well...never going to come out now

... to Cupertino.

>Should I try The Incal
No, a thousand times no. These are the results of 1970's and drug abuse put in pen and paper. Avoid. avoid.

>or just move on?
Let me recommend
- Yoko Tsuno
- Valerian
- generally much of what is on Cinebooks.

I read the nikopol trilogy and again, amazing art but the story leaves me somewhat confused. I would enjoy taking longer looks at the societies that these comics show, instead of little snapshots of violence

Nikopol Trilogy hits more if you're from post-commie state. Then you get that tone of hopelessness, crushing regimes and eternal winter as well as alientation and constant military presence.

I do love his work on Les Phalanges de l'ordre noir and Partie de chasse. First one is a bit too sympathetic to International brigades but the conclusion kind of redeems it, the latter is dreadly close what actually happened.

I have never heard about either of those, are they available on amazon?

amazon.com/Black-Order-Brigade-Enki-Bilal/dp/0967240182

And

amazon.com/Hunting-Party-Pierre-Christin/dp/0967240174/

Although that's a weird translation. Should've been "Phalanxes of black order". Either way, enjoy, user.