Are the Star Wars cartoons any good?

Are the Star Wars cartoons any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/708777308262301696
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_witness
youtube.com/watch?v=o6QC_oPLVFs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah

Yes. Surprisingly. Both of them, clone wars cgi and rebels, take a bit to get going... but once they do it gets good. Plus surprisingly violent for a Disney kids show.

Yes.

Just stay away from the /swco/ general.

They're so much better than the new films it's not even funny.

the 2003 series is god-tier.

NOT CANON

The Clone Wars is better than six of the movies.

>TCW
>Disney show

Oddly enough TCW improved tenfold once Lucas got more involved. And after he quit and they moved to Rebels the show got bad.

I'm not saying he's a good director but his impact on morale must've made some difference.

it is tho

Quit spreading miss information.

Rebels is shit = True

tcw originally didn't air in chronological order and was pretty crap for the first 2 seasons imo. Clones were really fucking dumb, there wasn't as much violence etc, it just felt like merchanidise pandering for the most part, but watchable. Season 3 onwards had way better production values, really developed the clones as characters, had top tier space battles and redeemed a lot of the shit lucas came up with in the prequels, even jar-jar was bearable by the end of it. The fight scenes were amazing and for the most part the lore was good, but some shit really pissed me off like Savage O'press existing and having such a fucking ridiculous name, grievous being such a jobber, pretty much every padme focused episode and the majority of droid episodes

it was a really satisfying wild ride that made me sad to finish. I felt like TCW's greatest strength was in the clones themselves, they went from literal CGI copy + paste to being unique and tragic protagonists that I cared about more than any jedi/sith force magic drama. Make sure you watch it in chronological order imo.

Rebels has had some great moments after a shaky start but suffers greatly under the watch of the mouse. Nowhere near as much on screen violence as TCW, lots of "stand out in the open because stormtroopers have bad aim lmao", shitty comic relief that isn't very good. When rebels is good though, it's really good, but it will never fill the hole TCW left behind.

So I want to get into the Star Wars cartoons, is the 2003 series worth watching? Is it canon?

The Clone Wars is surprisingly, shockingly good. All the low points are early on, grin and bear it.

Rebels is fun too. Bit more cartoony in a bad way, but not actually bad. Lower your expectations if you watch this after The Clone Wars (you sure shouldn't watch it first, they're connected.)

2003 Clone Wars is short and sweet. Interesting little thing. As for the 80's cartoons, I'm not sure.

>chronological order
No, that's a stupid idea. It's not meant to be watched that way.

>is the 2003 series worth watching? Is it canon?
Yes. No.

Season 2's underrated. The Geonosis Arc is one of the best in the series.

Even Season 1 had some good episodes though, Rookies is great.

?_? nigga it was meant to air that way but there were fuckups. There's arcs in season 1 and and 2 with absolutely no conclusion so a new story starts and you have no idea wtf happened in the last one. That clone origin episode where they show the training on kimino maybe, but the rest of the out of order stuff like that one emerald planet and such just made things really confusing to keep up with

Obligatory pic related for The Clone Wars.

The movie is neither good nor necessary. Some people would tell you to find a chronological order but it works fine as an anthology. Some arcs are better than others, but overall pretty good.

The troopers were the best/most interesting thing to come about because of the prequel trilogy. Who the fuck cares about the jedi/sith shit, let's have more shows/games about the troopers.

that was in season 2? Completely forgot desu, I loved that arc. Was Rookies the episode where there was some random raid in a buttfuck nowhere clone outpost? That was cool. S1&2 did have high points for sure, but it certainly felt like a bigger grind to get to the good stuff, a lot more shitty humor and "wtf are you doing senpai those are plasma blast you should be getting to cover" moments, you could really feel the lower budget and younger target audience imo.

have you played republic commando user? That shit needs a sequel or remake, it was great

whilst chrono order makes some arcs more cohesive I felt that the quality between episodes could be seriously mish mash because of the constant jump between seasons
where as watching in production order you get a greater appreciation for the gradual yet constant rise in quality season to season

it hurts
We were going to get a sequel called imperial commandos, but supposedly it was scraped and turned into force unleashed

TCW is great and really what Star Wars should have been. Star Wars always seemed to work better as a TV show as opposed to a movie because Lucas likes pumping out ideas and worldbuilding, which is limited by movies.

Rebels is iffy, it has good parts, usually the first episode or two, the mid-season finales, and the actual season finales but it can really drop the ball because of the Mouse. They rarely show characters dying, when you think a character is gonna get some development, they backpedal because MUH STATUS QUO.

>ywn know what happened to Sev
Why even live?

This arc was so fucking good. Watching it I was like "is you really going there" and OH did they go there

No mention of season six, the canon comics or the unfinished episodes? Weird

>Starts out with a clone shooting a Jedi child in the back

I remember rewinding that part over and over.

The mission...the nightmares...they're finally...over... ;_;

that guide's been around for ages and no-ones bothered to update it since

Maybe that's why it was so good?

Their killing of Ventress and her mom seemed really undignified. I mean, what the fuck, they exterminated their entire race, that's fucked up beyond belief.

The Clone Wars was never aired by Disney and it was on Cartoon Network until it's cancellation.

While Rebels is ok, at times, it has never reached TCW levels of greatness. Which sucks, you just now the writers want to do more but Disney won't let them.

He's right though.
Lucas pumped nearly a million dollars into each episode of TCW after season 2, and it showed.
He's a shitty director and a shitty writer, but he's rich, and that's about the only thing he's good for.

>He's a shitty director and a shitty writer
>tv
>r/lm

Stay in your thread autist.

Clone Wars > The Clone Wars >> Rebels

no one can argue with this

Go back to your containment board.

I don't have one because we're in the majority and you know this.

If you start samefaging and spamming , sure.

Paranoia as well as autism. I feel for your parents.

He's not wrong.
Lucas was the one in control and had the final say in everything for TCW. Not to mention how he was the one funding the entire thing whether it was making money or not.

I've watched all of the 2d clone wars, it great.
I watched a lot of the 3d one but I probably fell off near end of season 3.
Haven't watched rebels, but it looks ok.

Lucas is a phenomenal producer, and a terrible writer, and a mixed bag as a director, though more good than bad.

Lucas is absolutely brilliant in a lot of aspects of directing, but there is some stuff he's bad at, a huge part of which is working with actors. The dude has absolutely no idea how to work with actors or get good performances out of them. When that's combined with his shitty, horrible horrible writing, it has a huge negative impact.

TCW was more or less perfect for Lucas. His producing is fantastic, and he has just the right amount of distance from the writing and actors. Close enough to impact story and set pieces and general arcs, but not having to deal with dialog, pacing, or anything like that, and being kept as far away from the actors as possible.

What? No, it's not. It's great. Excellent, even, but it's not canon.

Talzin isn't Ventress's mom.

FYI, more people like the PT than OT.
So no, user, it is you who is the minority. Time to do some soul searching.

Source?

>Date of tweet right there in picture
twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/708777308262301696

That's not a source though, that's just some guy talking.
Where's the data?

That's not surprising. Anyone who says they like the prequels is likely to get an earful from purists sperging out so they just keep it to themselves.

>some guy on twitter said it, so its true

>some guy
He's one of the head honchos at Lucasfilm.
Are you really so butthurt at the thought of being wrong that you're just going to dismiss him?

>Are you really so butthurt at the thought of being wrong that you're just going to dismiss him?
All he's doing is promoting something that, if it sells well, will get him paid more. Why should I believe what he says?

So where is his source for this claim?

He gets paid whether the PT or the OT sells. They're both Star Wars. There is no ulterior motive. You'd have to ask him how he came to that conclusion. He's likely citing merchandise sales.

I just started Rebels and the animation is so fucking bad I literally cannot. I heard that as studios build their item library the animation gets better, is that true?

Can I skip like the first season if that's the case because moving from Season 6 of the Clone Wars to this is just frightening.

He tweeted that 11 years after the prequels had all come out, he gets money when either trilogy does well. If anything, it would make more sense to promote the OT since that's what Disney's pushing.

Is there a version of this for Rebels yet?

So where is his source for his claim?

Clone wars is great, actually made the separatists a threat unlike the prequels.

The Clone Wars is a mixed bag some episodes are bad, but some are god tier.

Rebels is garbage I dropped it in season 2. The characters are pure annoyance made for little kids.

user made the claim that the majority of people think Lucas is a hack. I provided a reliable source that counters that argument.
Now where's your source of the original claim?

>I provided a reliable source that counters that argument.
You provided something with the exact same amount of evidence as him, which is to say none.
Neither of you have any basis for your arguments beyond "I/he says so"

Not that user but I think a lot of fans think he's a hack, either because thats what the most vocal fans think or because the prequels is full of some seriously piss poor writing, Normies I can see enjoying the sceptical of the Prequels more.

The last scene of RO though is the shit though for me. Right up there with Empire.

>Pablo's word carries the same wait as an anonymous shitposter.
If the thought of people liking the PT more than the OT bothers you so much than you really should fuck off back to your containment board.

So where is the source for his claim?

>just some guy

Better than the new movies and the prequels IMO.

>the mission of our dreams...
WITNESS MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

George is a god tier producer and his founding of Industrial Light and Magic has advanced the modern film industry and created more useful film-making processes and tools far more than most people realize.

You'd have to ask him. Pablo is well-respected among fans as he himself was a dedicated fan before joining the company. I promise you he loves and knows more about Star Wars than you or I ever will and his word is good enough for most fans, and I mean actual fans, not casuals.
If it's not good enough for you than ask him how he came to that conclusion. He's very responsive to fan questions.
No one's trying to dupe you.

and he's a shitty director and writer.

The source is called an Expert Witness. Courts use them all the time as evidence. They'll call on physicians for medical input or programmers for computer related questions and their answers are good enough based sheerly on their credentials.
So unless you have hard evidence or another expert witness to discredit Pablo, then Pablo's claim stands firm.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_witness

His claim is based on nothing,m an expert witness is called to give further explanation to an existing piece of evidence or as someone who actually made or participated in the testing of evidence. Neither of which have been presented. If he gave this testimony in court, I would be free to ask where his data is from, as I'm asking you, or however many of you there are. If none can be presented then there's little reason to trust anything he says.

This is someone making a claim about something with nothing to back it up, just like the other user.

Honestly, I never found either of them very engaging. I never liked many of the characters. I found Ahsoka annoying, along with the majority of the Jedi. Ezra and the Ghost people aren't any better either, and their show is made worse by simply being a lot cheaper and taking far fewer risks in their story telling.

If you're a real big fan of star wars then you could watch it, but if you were you'd probably go to /swco/ and already be watching it anyway.

The difference is Pablo has no reason to lie while the other guy is a Sup Forumsposter.
Anyone with a modicum of reason knows whose word carries more weight and until I see hard evidence against or someone of equal Star Wars insider knowledge as Pablo that contradicts him, his expert opinion wins this argument.
If you still disagree than I have nothing more to add.

So where is the evidence for his claim?

Pretty much, yes, and plenty of people who worked with him agree on that. He wanted Yoda to be a monkey and hated the puppet.

This could have been a good thread, but then the /swco/ autists showed up in force.

Doesn't change that he's a good enough producer though.

Clone wars was hit or miss. Either just ok, or really really good, with some bad/annoying in there too. It definitely did get better near the end os season three and onward though.

Rebels would be good if it didn't pull so many punches. They do things that should have consequences and then the consequences get "kid's show"ed away. Still often pretty good though

>Sup Forums places blame squarely on /swco/ for the autism
It takes two to tango, friendo.

>everything wrong with our thread is because of Sup Forums
>there's no chance that the regulars are fucking retarded or that i'm an autist

This is why I stopped going in that cesspool.

>everything wrong with our thread is because of /swco/
>there's no chance that the regulars are fucking retarded or that i'm an autist

This is why I stopped going in that cesspool.

See what I did there?

This is a better guide

*** is essential

** is semi-essential

* is non-essential

It would be pointless to make one. Rebels isn't set up the same way as TCW. It's not a bunch of individual story arcs, it's an ongoing story. Stuff that appears in one episode will eventually return later on.

I see what you were trying to do, but it falls flat because it's a fucking fallacy.

>Space Nam
It was cool

Geonosis was D-Day.
Umbara was Vietnam.

>Good thing those bugs can't aim
>Boom

Not that guy, but popularity =/= quality. Internationally, many countries never got an "official" release of the OT until after the PT, it stands to reason that normies would prefer the one with more flashy effects and lightsaber twirling than the less effects driven originals.

Kys prequelfag

Lucas is only good for being a producer. He can craft ideas but he needs smarter people around him to refine those ideas into something good. That's basically how New Hope became a hit. Seriously go look up Lucas's original ideas for Star Wars and then try to tell me he should be let anywhere near a keyboard and camera.

Who refined his ideas on A New Hope?

Grievous is a canon jobber, fucking deal with it

Literally everyone involved. He didn't have total control back then and constantly had to work around budget constraints. His wife even edited the film.

Google the story about the production of that movie.

The one that Genndy did is awesome an ties together Episodes I and II perfectly.

The other Clone Wars cartoon (the CGI one) was too childish and full of clichés at first but then it turned out pretty cool.

Rebels too but, although it did developed a better plot, I just hated the outcome of the Vader v. Asokha fight.

Sadly not anymore

>it's a "Jedi Colonel Kurtz slaughters his own men by way of Space-gooks, man-eating plants, friendly fire, and personal lightsaber" arc

Jesus christ, Umbara was fucking brutal.
youtube.com/watch?v=o6QC_oPLVFs

>when you teach the kids the wonders of state-sponsored terrorism and proxywars using the magic of Star Wars