Who is your favorite Sliver-Age Marvel artist?

Who is your favorite Sliver-Age Marvel artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

storify.com/miniver/how-becoming-a-follower-of-ayn-rand-will-likely-co
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Ditko is a mental case
>Steranko is a white supremacist
>Romita thinks Spider-Man should fly
Kirby, please.

Gil Kane was purty good.

Don't do this here.

>Ditko is a mental case
I am not well informed about this. Could you care to explain?

He considers himself, like, the King of Libertarians. He never wanted any royalty for his Marvel work millions, nobody has seen his face in decades, and uses old sketches (the kind worth thousands to collectors) to wipe his office.

>the King of Libertarians. He never wanted any royalty for his Marvel work
How does that work?

He thinks that you shouldn't get money for a job that was already paid.

Oh wait

Shit, Marvel, right

storify.com/miniver/how-becoming-a-follower-of-ayn-rand-will-likely-co

Ditto and Kirby

Well, damn.
That is some heavey story.

His ideology and his Mr. A inspired Alan Moore's Rorschach. Go figure.

All of the Watchmen characters are based on Ditko's.

he sounds pretty based

Gil Kane
Bill Everett
Wally Wood
Marie Severin
Jack Kirby
John Romita
Steve Ditko

Steranko because he bitch slapped Bob Kane.

He's a hobo, user.

A better question is who was the most well adjusted artist in Silver Age Marvel?

>believing a white supremacist

Where the fuck did this come from?

I still maintain that Ditko is really the one absorbing celebrity souls to extend his own lifespan and Lee just stole the credit.

Why else wouldn't we have seen his face in decades? Because he doesn't age.

>favorite artist

>we must assess the personal worthiness of each artist as a person, on the moral compass of modern internet ethics.

He wasn't With Her, so he's literally a nazi.

I like John Buscema.

Also possibly qualifies for "most well adjusted artist" because he had near-open contempt for superheroes.

welcome to Sup Forumsmblr

he endorsed Trump so now people are triggered.

don't get me wrong, i hate Trump. but just because he endorsed Trump as president doesn't mean he's a fucking white supremacist. get real dude.

He voted for Drumpf and after he won he went full FUCK YOU NIGGERS in his Twitter.

Let's be honest, nobody with a brain was with anyone for that election. Seeing how politicians are not very smart.

Being a good person is more important than being a good artist.

Even if it must be only four choices Wally Wood should be there over Steranko AND Romita.

It's not just those four, it's whoever is your favorite.

Their mental estate could determine in what conditions they would work.

It's kind of important, otherwise no one will want to work with you.

>unironically believing this

This is brilliant
> Now let's re-read Spider-Man in light of all this. Peter Parker is the struggling freelancer (like Ditko) with secret power (creativity)

Obviously it's Jack

>inb4 some autist calls a decorated war hero who killed Nazis so you can shitpost on the itnernet all day a SJW

>people should be evil
Edgy, kid.

I recall it being pointed out that when Ditko was writing the plots, Jameson was clearly a mediocrity trying to keep the gifted people (superheroes) down. As soon as Ditko left, Lee started making Jameson more sympathetic.

And Peter wanted to beat on protesters.

>people seriously believe that Stan Lee wrote this comic

>people seriously believe that Stan Lee wrote

I never liked his style very much. It looks a bit... 1940s.

>Romita thinks Spider-Man should fly
Whatnow?

Isn't that why Ditko quit, because Lee was writing dialogue that contradicted Ditko's plots? Or am I thinking of Kirby? Maybe both.

It must be rough working away at comics you plotted yourself, only to have the editor contradict you with a few words in a dialogue balloon.

Even crazy Ditko himself never pretended Stan wasn't writing the dialog.

None of the Marvel artists had any idea what teenage fashions were like.

Unless you count the Marvel teen humor guys who went over to Archie, like Dan DeCarlo and Al Hartley.

I think user meant what Jim Shooter said about JRSR:
>I never liked John Romita’s approach to Spider-Man. I love John. He’s a Hall-of-Famer. All-time great. Grandmaster. And a great human being. But his theories of how to draw Spider-Man appalled me. I hated the fact that he simplified the costume. I’d hear him explaining to some young artist that one of the lines on the mask represented the bottom of Spider-Man’s nose and one his mouth. What?! Worse, he’d tell people not to worry about the physics of web-swinging. Just have the web-line go off panel, he’d tell them. It’s just a trumped-up device to justify “flying,” said he, think of it as pulling Spider-Man along.

No, I mean the art style; it looks amateurish.

>Isn't that why Ditko quit, because Lee was writing dialogue that contradicted Ditko's plots?
The two of them did that to each other a lot. And it probably annoyed the hell out of both of them.

But it's not why Ditko left. Ditko left because Marvel didn't pay him royalties for the Spider-Man Cartoon.

>didn't punch Bob Kane
>didn't punch Bob Kane
>punched Bob Kane in the face
>didn't punch Bob Kane

Is this even a contest?

I thought his ideology rejected royalties?

I love Steranko's work but every panel I've seen with him makes him seem like an arrogant twat.

Why does Peter sound like a school shooter?

There are multiple reasons rumored for his leaving with no conclusive single reason, its probably a mix of them

>General dialogue/character disagreements
>Spider-Man cartoon
>Identity of the Green Goblin
I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Ditko's Peter is very much a school shooter-y type, angry, struggling, holier than thou nerd with uncontrollable violent urges

>with no conclusive single reaso
According to Ditko it's no one's business why he left except him and Stan, except when he handed in his last pages saying he was leaving Stan wouldn't come out of his office. So only Ditko knows

He's a victim of his own enviornment thou. Everyone in that Spiderman was pretty savage

So are school shooters and terrorists

Because Ditko was writing him

>that story on Shooter's blog about Steranko asking if he wanted to hear his "death laugh" and promptly plunging off a cliff on his snowmobile cackling like a maniac

I don't even get the Stan Defense Force argument

>both the artists of F4 and ASM claim that they were plotting the stories
>read both runs and they have essentially nothing in common in terms of tone or style
>both artist leave their books
>Stan either leaves the book or the book completely changes when the new artist is brought on

Everyone knows Stan was getting credit for work he wasn't doing. Hell, it's why Wally Wood quit working for Marvel.

I think it's just important to remember that Stan did have some influence and unifying presence, even if it wasn't much

It's awful to solely credit Stan with ASM or FF, but it's also bad to not credit him at all (not nearly as bad as not crediting Kirby or Ditko imo but still)

>the SDF again

Hey, true believer! Stan the Man happens to be a very versatile writer, who could different kind of titles each month! Whenever his good dear friends Jack 'King' Kirby and Steve 'Sturdy' Ditko didn't feel like drawing anymore, Stan would writing so they wouldn't feel bad about themselves because that's the kind of 'Man' Stan is! But when Ditko left The Amazing Spider-Man™, along came John 'Jazzy' Romita and Stan couldn't help but to continue his vision with the web slinger! 'Nuff Said.
Excelsior!

Jesus 60s Marvel was stacked.

i have a soft spot for Don Heck don't @ me

For pure insanity, Randian Ditko stories cannot be beat.

That looks like an opening page from a Marvel romance comic.

Steranko talks a lot on twitter about this amazing new innovative stuff he wants to do and the editors are too cowardly to allow, but he's never produced any examples of this great sequential stuff he's working on.

Jack Kirby wins for me overall, but I did really like Neal Adams' work on X-Men and Wally Wood's work on Daredevil.
Steranko and Ditko were superb as well.

Honestly, I like most of the Silver Age artists Marvel had. They draw circles around the Henderson/Leth quirky crap and Deodato/Land tracings we have nowadays.

I honestly can't see how any publisher or editor would say no to Steranko. The guy's just been coasting with Fury.

Despite Romita's description of how he drew Spider-Man, it never really felt like those things. I do think that he simplified the design a bit, but honestly that really helped make his fight panels fluid.

He's tied with Ditko and 80s era Romita's Jr. as my favorite Spider-Man artist.

>Also possibly qualifies for "most well adjusted artist" because he had near-open contempt for superheroes.
context pls

He liked drawing Conan much better.

Ditko gets plotting credits for ASM issues, the point of contention is that Lee gets top billing and a writing credit.

In order:
Ditko
Kirby
Steranko
Romita
Wood
Adams