Do you miss thought bubbles, Sup Forums?

Do you miss thought bubbles, Sup Forums?

God yes, I also miss 90's narration

Sure - but probably not to the extent Claremont does.

Yes. I like them a lot more (a LOT more) than the first person narrative caption boxes.

Yes, I think the last time I saw any was the post Civil War Avengers arresting Doom for dropping Spider-Man's ex costume on Manhattan.

The last time I saw them, Bendis was using them in between speech bubbles.

Like, someone would be talking to Hank Pym and have a line, then think "Wifebeater" then continue being pleasant.

I'm on the fence about them. A lot of the time it just leads to the view point getting muddeled and the page getting cluttered.
Character narration prevents both of those.
But then again it also helps to compress information along with the omniscient narrator and god knows todays comics could use to get a move on every now and then.

So ultimately I'd say all is fine as long as the writer has some restraint and doesn't just put every waking thought by every single character in the book into words.

Aaron uses them for Jane-Thor in Mighty

Her name is Whor!

Seriously, they'd better be a good reason why he was unworthy. Like a really good, character defining, Tony is an alcoholic, Hank beats Jan, reason.

God no. Too much over explaining and exposition dumping. Claremont is the absolute worst with though bubbles. I always felt Claremont's true calling was prose writing, but that he missed something along the way and ended up writing comics and cluttering up the pages with too many words and too much hand wringing.

Used in small examples, unlike the WORDSWORDSWORDS of OP's pic, they're better.

No. Narration boxes are preferable since we don't need to hear what they're thinking mid-sentence. If it's a team book, unless there's a main character who's perspective we're following (and in that case, we shouldn't be hearing other character's thoughts), there shouldn't be any narration aside from locations, times, dates, etc.
Thought bubbles are only ok if it's a telepath listening in on someone's thoughts, or communicating through thoughts.

Yes.

I also miss speech bubbles on covers. Does anyone ever do that anymore?

Even in the case of something like this?

they revealed what Fury said to Thor finally

what if Gor was right?

Yes.

Nah, that was just the Unseen or whatever Fury's new name is pondering shit to himself.

There was a variant cover for Tec that did.

>'90s

You mean those things they used in every decade?

For some reason in the late '90s onwards narration died out. I guess they knew they didn't need "With a thought, indestructible blades of adamantium burst forth from their casings in Wolverine's forearms!" in every issue of X-Men.

I miss the little editor's notes when they reference past issues, it was helpful back in the day, if you missed that Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers during her first appearance in Avengers Annual #10 they bring it up in her second appearance in X-Men.

The 90's in particular were a little more verbose in narration. Especially Defalco and Dematteis.

Christ, no. Nobody actually thinks aloud so much complete sentences like that. Especially not in mid-fight, or mid-conversation, which everybody seems to do in every Claremont book.