Is he gonna be alright bros?

>be filmmaker, a master of your craft
>create a near-perfect sequel, pour your heart and soul into it
>no drama during production unlike most films, because he runs a tight and moral ship
>critics call it "possibly the best sequel ever made"
>audiences simply don't go see it
>one of the worst domestic flops ever
Will he rebound, Sup Forums or is this the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nS4sCqQXivY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He's created a masterpiece. In the end, that's all that matters.

It was never meant to be a blockbuster, and itll be a cult classic which is literally the best thing that can happen with your film

He's had like 5 great films in a row now. He's not going anywhere, though he won't have a blank cheque for his next project. Wouldn't count on Dune.

It's barely a flop, let alone "one of the worst domestic flops ever," it's time to go back you click-baiting faggot

Maybe it's karma coming for him after he molested all those women

How is it a flop? Is it only because the budget was 150 million? It's doing "well" all things considered.

I'd argue all his movies are good
Certainly wouldn't say any of them are bad

Well that's just not true. The movie will make 300 million box office which is twice the budget, and It will make more money off DVD sales, etc.

It will turn in a disappointingly small profit, not a disastrous flop

It's karma for creating such dishonest cheeto infested media

It's not his fault Americans can't watch anything other than Star Wars, Disney flicks and Capeshit

His interview about this was very level-headed. He says he doesn't make films to raise his profile, and that what matters is they're good and not how much money they make.

>near perfect
>boring 2deep4u art film
2/10

I'm just going off everything since Prisoners. Can't speak to earlier stuff but I imagine you're right.

Sup roastie

He doesn't get residuals - the reputation is there and that's what matters

>He's had like 5 great films in a row now
Watch more films

how did a fucking frog from backwater canada do it? just how? who even is this guy and his fucking name?

Name your top 5

>shitbec
>backwater canada
He isn't even near this guys level

>implying canada doesnt have a history of great directors

>Montreal
>Backwater Canada

(You)

Talk to be when you finished watching one of the best films of 2013
youtube.com/watch?v=nS4sCqQXivY

I went there and couldn't even understand anything the first person I met said. In north america I'd consider it pretty backwater that they can't even speak english.

youngest director to win a cannes

how can villememe even compete

Is this actually true?

Does ongoing revenue make up for a soft box office on release?

>There is another change that, I believe, has no upside whatsoever. It began back in the '80s when the “box office” started to mushroom into the obsession it is today. When I was young, box office reports were confined to industry journals like The Hollywood Reporter. Now, I'm afraid that they've become…everything. Box office is the undercurrent in almost all discussions of cinema, and frequently it’s more than just an undercurrent. The brutal judgmentalism that has made opening-weekend grosses into a bloodthirsty spectator sport seems to have encouraged an even more brutal approach to film reviewing. I’m talking about market research firms like Cinemascore, which started in the late '70s, and online “aggregators” like Rotten Tomatoes, which have absolutely nothing to do with real film criticism. They rate a picture the way you'd rate a horse at the racetrack, a restaurant in a Zagat's guide, or a household appliance in Consumer Reports. They have everything to do with the movie business and absolutely nothing to do with either the creation or the intelligent viewing of film. The filmmaker is reduced to a content manufacturer and the viewer to an unadventurous consumer.

He can't which is why he make shallow hollywood shilljobs

he's right
but rotten tomatoes still has a right to exist
i see no problem in the status quo

Or maybe you're just retarded...

RT is trash form of film discussion. It's just a number not actual constructive arguments. Also for some reason the highest rated films on RT are fucking Marvel movies.

yes i agree
however
free market

>It will turn in a disappointingly small profi
no more kino for you :^)

Well of course they are, they are designed to be mildly enjoyable across all demographics. And RT is designed to put products like that on top.

Yep. I keep pointing out to people that a movie could get a 51% score from every single reviewer out there and that RT would aggregate that as a 100%. It rewards mediocre acceptability

fpbp

>first movie flopped
>second movie flopped
Blade Runner was always a cult favorite not meant for normalfags. This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

He will absolutely still get work. Every film he has made was critically extremely well received and Arrival and Sicario made a ton of money. Just look at David Lynch, he continued to get the funds to do whatever he wanted despite none of his films ever making any money.

>durr it has a number so that's the score right??
How are there people who still think this?

kys you aspie

imagine being such a brainlet that fucking Blade Runner 2049 is a "2deep art film". I bet you are a big defender of Batman V Superman.

Christ, I've been getting accidental dubs all fucking week. I never asked for this.

The movie is critically acclaimed, and it's far from being the worst box office flop in film history.
In order to destroy your career, you have to fuck up on the same level as Josh Trank did when he filmed Fantastic 4.

>Implying anything will stop Kinoeuve

Don't you have the Thor thread to bump mouseshill?

took Ridley 18 years to rebound after the first Blade Runner

How very typical of a sad pseud brainlet BvS fan to call someone a disney shill despite never once mentioning Marvel. The only good Marvel films are Spider-Man 1 and 2, Iron Man, and Logan, the rest are trash.

He's definitely cemented himself as one of the greatest with BR2049, among Kubrick, Ridley, and JimJam.

Oscars, both nominations and awards, along with the knowledge that everyone accepts your movie's place among the best

>Logan
Wow and you have the audacity of calling anyone a pleb

I can picture he'll recover at the Oscars and Golden Globes hopefully

Enemy 61
Pleb critics

Anybody who thinks he wasn’t just taking a snooze is fucking stupid
>snoozeposting is back

Logan isn't great but it's good. It would be great if it didn't completely fall apart in the third act. BvS is a fucking mess throughout it's entirety. Enjoy your upcoming two-headed Whedon/Snyder abortion though.

Yeah the movies gonna get a ton of renewed attention after the oscars

Well Mad Max did

Literally too dumb for BvS. Stick to Logan kid. Bet you felt smart at its nihilism and gore for 14 year olds.

It'll be nominated for quite a few. Off the top of my head
>Best picture
>Best director
>Best Original screenplay
>Best visual effects
>Best cinematography
>Best soundtrack
>Best Sound editing

It will win visual effects and maybe soundtrack, I'll bet $5 on it right here and now.

>Not Cinematography
If Deakins actually fucking loses again I swear
I can see it winning Best Director as well. The amount of work he put into the sets and overall movie itself is astounding

right on the feels, almost shed a tear, if it wasn't for Ford popping up for his stupid scene with his daughter, should have ended with Goose laying there

I mean did we really need to see Ford touching the glass with his daughter? just watching him go in was enough

the point was to contrast the replicant with the born one; K dies in the snow because he had lived real experiences despite not being a real human, meanwhile the child was born the same as a human but had no real experiences so she can only experience fake snow.

The thing with Dolan is it takes him 3 years to make a movie and Denis only needs a few months. Why is John F Donovan taking so fucking long holy fuck

yeah, but Ford has like 4 scenes in the whole movie, and the last scene he is in, I couldn't care less for his story arc.

>make the biggest kino of the year and the best scifi of recent years by far
>make such a sequel people are arguing if its better than the original
>retarded pleb americans didnt go to see it

I think he'll be alright. If academy has any taste for art, this guy will win an award. The big one. Dennis legit proved himself with this movie, seeing his name will be enough for me to watch the film.

Denis us a fucking machine. Is Dune slated for next year?

video game hot pocket cheeto dust anime

Villeneuve is middle-brow as fuck and I was ready to trash him, but, fuck it, BR2049 was great.

this. maybe he won't get all the monetary rewards he could potentially enjoy on the back of this, but he'll feel fully validated from an artistic POV

You are so obviously an assreamed SJW shill, OP. Haven't you figured out yet that no one's buying your faggity brand anymore?

This, but they should have reverted the order of the scenes. It should have ended with K in the stairs.

Been meaning to watch Enemy and Incendies. Thx for the reminder user

>>retarded pleb americans didnt go to see it
yeah, but Europes did, especially the UK flocked in to see this KINO

>reversed*

this.

checked
fucking nice bruh

I'm just hoping for a six-hour director's cut or something, I know there must be one.

He'll be fine

>30 minute scene of K walking around on a grimy, rainy night
>no dialog spoken, just K observing the people and things around him

The studio is still wet for him to direct Bond 25 and he created one of the first cult sequels. He's doing fine.

Best supporting actress for Ana De Armas probably

Dolan is an artist whilst Villeneuve is just another hollywood goon

>tfw the train goes choo choooooo

Kill yourself, my man.

Apparently Denis and Scott disagreed over the ending. I wouldn't be surprised if Denis wanted it to end on Goose, and Scott wanted Ford touching the glass. I wonder if we'll get a director's cut, we probably won't, but imagine a 3 and a half hour piece, or even just a 'Scott-free' film. lmao, see what I did there?

It better win DP, FX, Soundtrack, Sound design/editing etc and I'd like direction, but I doubt it.

>Scott ruined it again

Scott is a better director. Stay in your reddit general

I don't know what you're saying. I've enjoyed most of Scott's recent films, even The Counselor. The man can direct a film but shouldn't be let anywhere near a script or story.

I loved Blade Runner, but that seemed an odd choice to keep. I suspect it was Scott's influence, especially because Denis cut the original Prisoners ending, which ended with Gynllenhaal glancing back towards Jackman then cuts. Similar thing, you don't need that tail.

Do we really care about Ford and his daughter after watching The Goose for three hours going to hell and back?

>Dolan is an artist
Dolan is even more middlebrow than Villeneuve. Dolan is the Rupi Kaur of cinema.

It's literally a masterpiece though. Fuck $$ at this point

HAHAHAHAHAAH

No, that's my point. I think ending at the end of K's journey would have been the way to go. Let's hope they cut the happy ending, like they did with The Shining stock footage in the original

>cult classic

this shit is as mainstream as can be. there's posters for this shit on the highway ffs

Scott's nothing but a senile old fuck and his last few films proves it

The Counselor is easily one of the best films hes released since the 80s/90s
The films a vehicle for mccarthy to expose topics that interest him like death/sex/greed. Its not a standard film as its much more of a book in images. And the quality of the writing, it leaves the majority of the screenwriters out there in the fucking drapes and is a perfect fit for scotts vision
It is the pure apocalypse, the degeneration of the human race

I'm sure if that doorman Tarantino had directed and forced in his meme-esque dialogue it would be plastered over everyone favorites.