Brainlets will say this was a bad finale

Brainlets will say this was a bad finale.

Explain how it was a good one. We go through 6 seasons of Don's ups and downs just for him to...retire early and becoming a pussified weeping hippie?

This show wasted my time almost as much as Lost did

Hardly, I think we went through most of the series with Don wresting with two seperate identities (mostly Don Draper subduing Dick Whitman). I think the finale is Don reconciling his understanding of himself and finally being truly happy, if only for a moment.

The ENTIRE SHOW was bad.

It was literally written tailored to a set of apriori critical talking points that clickbait journalism will necessarily be compelled to respond to as being "important issues that WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT".

He didn't retire, he used the hippie/new age/ whatever to sell products. Kinda like the corporations rode that "rebellious phase" of America to make a shitloads of money

Bad finale. Bad season. People take these TV shows too seriously.

DUDE YAY DON GETS HIS IDEA AND LIVES HAPPILY EVER AFTER YAY HAPPY ENDING FOR DON

but this unironically.
>betty
dumb thot got cancer before nutting up and pursuing her dreams
>pete
/ourboy/ got back together with trudy and flew off into the sunset
>joan
who gives a fuck
>roger
still rich and based as fuck

Agreed. How did people not get this? If anything it was cynical as hell. He took 60's counterculture... the music, the message, the fashion, the youth and change it embodied... and commodified it to serve the establishment by selling more products. And if we extrapolate further into the 70s and 80s up through to today... it clearly worked. Make people feel good about themselves while they continue to do the most important thing of all... consume.

>the most important thing of all... consume
Whoa, deep man. Or it's not cynical, and through letting go and finding himself, Don finds new inspiration.

Oh yes I agree it can be read both ways. On a macro level it's cynical -- advertising and big business co-opting 60's hippie ideals. But on a personal level, yes I think it is very satisfying for Don's character. He likely wasn't doing it in a cynical way. Just being in Big Sur got him out of his funk and he got a new idea. That simple. Because at the end of the day he's an idea man and what he worships more than anything is the pure idea.

>joan
>who gives a fuck
kek

>don rejects the offers from mccann erickson season 1
>SC doesn't want to be bought by mccann at the end of season 3 so they form their own company separate from putnam powell and lowe
>end up being bough by mccann anyway

>retire early and becoming a pussified weeping hippie?
Are there people who unironically didn't understand the Coke ad's purpose at the end to this extent? Jesus.

So why did they end here, other than because they didn't want to outlive their welcome?

It didn't feel like a really natural end to me. More like it just stopped suddenly. Though I'm not sure what a satisfying ending would have looked like.

it was great, and qt3.14159 90's goth Joan agrees with me

Why did they foreshadow Don getting cancer for the entire series, only to have Betty get it? Don getting cancer and having to atone for his sins would have been the ultimate final season.

In my head, don will always be DB cooper

>foreshadow
to show people watching the show that foreshadowing is a meme

it was drumpf

>literally a fucking coke ad

this was nihilitic af

no bucko, you wasted your own time by watching kikestories....mad men lost me the first time they showed don draper weeping like a little bitch...think it was when he was on the phone or something, after vomitting.

i wasted time watching some eps after that too but overall stopped caring. fuck weiner and his mostly-female writing staff.

try meditation

>based as fuck

ho beta

Looking back I don't think Mad Men was worth the hype. I was REALLY into it but I'm not sure how well it holds up. It really is the greatest soap opera. Also, I hated how they tried to wrap up everyone's story lines in only a few episodes. Years of character buildup or disintegration solved in a handful of episodes. Some stories, Joan's for instance, was left somewhat open ended. I did enjoy that.

I feel like a lot of shows "wind down" like their ends are some end of history. I'm not a big fan of that. There's always a tomorrow. The characters in Mad Men whose arcs acknowledged 'tomorrow' were the best fulfilled in my opinion.

You have to be a creative person to understand it and most people aren't creative.

You sit in a meeting you don't like, you see a plane out of the window, you stand up, walk out, get in your car and start driving away. You end up in some hippy camp doing yoga, cry your eyes out, call someone you know and blubber about how "I never did anything, I'm gonna kill myself", and then BLING, the best commercial of all time. That's pretty much how creative people come up with stuff.

Damn you're such a real man, I'm really impressed bro. I bet you get a lot of female attention because of how alpha you are.

Brainlets are subhumans don't bother trying. Just coral them and use them.