Wants to be a comedy, but isn't funny

>Wants to be a comedy, but isn't funny
>Wants to be dramatic but overdoes tears and emotional outbursts
>Wants to be adventurous but does too much slice of life
>Wants to be slice of life but then throws in random story arcs and villains
>Wants to have fights but all the action scenes suck
>Wants to be taken seriously but then has Billy and Mandy-tier of meta jokes

This show is literally trying to do so much and is a master of nothing as a result.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
youtube.com/watch?v=rirBqcsqSjg
youtube.com/watch?v=R0v0LnW0qJk
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I'm so smart i better post this twice
objectively correct though

Are animation desks even used anymore? The new standard is Cintiqs

It's called retrofitting.

Tumblr girls like this because of some empowered female characters... It's just bullshit

>draw Greg wildly off-model
>model of Greg is RIGHT THERE in the picture

It only became popular because its competition when it came out was Adventure Time, Regular Show, and TTG.
If this came out in the 90s literally no one would have paid attention to it because of all the other quality shows running at that time.

I try to say this exact thing whenever the ocasion rises but nobody cares enough to respond, kind of like this thread.

11 minute episodes really hurt the drama. Characters go through about 50 different emotions and heaps of exposition in a minute.

I appreciate that it tries to do a lot even if it isn't always the best.

I hope they can tie everything together better in the future, but if not, it's whatever; the show is serviceable, fun, has good tunes, good art (half of the time) and a great cast.

It helps that I'm a sucker for stories about kids.

>>Wants to be a comedy, but isn't funny
it needs to have comedy because its a kid's cartoon
>>Wants to be dramatic but overdoes tears and emotional outbursts
now you understand why women shouldn't make cartoons
>>Wants to be adventurous but does too much slice of life
>>Wants to be slice of life but then throws in random story arcs and villains
it wants to be both, it wants the human side be SoL, the gem side be adventurous
>>Wants to have fights but all the action scenes suck
their own good fight scenes were homage from anime
>>Wants to be taken seriously but then has Billy and Mandy-tier of meta jokes
who said it wants to be taken serious

Why does this need to be an entire thread?

Logic was thrown out the window with these 5 episodes.

>literal 90s fag

How?

A. That's the joke.
B. That's the point of off model.

you posted this as a comment in the other thread and thought it was actually good enough for a full thread?
LOL

>These types of threads are shit!
>I better bump it!

If you guys really hate a thread, why don't you just ignore it and let it die instead. Why do you people point out bait as if getting any response at all isn't literally the point of bait?

The reason metajokes make a story hard to take seriously is that if a character knows they're fictional, they have no reason to believe they're ever in any real danger. I'm still downloading the new Stevenbomb, but I'm guessing this is literally just a joke and it doesn't warp Steven's perception of reality.

If I get in animation I'd love to give the show a reboot and bring it to its actual potential

>t. male poster

Episode Steven's Dream
Garnet's power
>Future Vision
She saw what happen yet did nothing to prevent it. She could have sit him down and told Steven the truth or her vision and protected him but no we need to get the plot started somehow with this stupid intro because story.

Don't be jealous of best decade just because your cartoons are shit.

I thought the point of off-model was so animators can be lazy and inconsistent.

This made me chuckled.

Its doesnt, but in contrast, its actually critisism instead of the tipical "its bad becouse its tumblr" threads.

>Wants to dislike the show but keeps watching it.
You're the one trying too hard OP.

>who said it wants to be taken serious

The show told me with its tone, why would they put all that caracter agnst or dark scenes like garnets reaction to the fusion experiments or when they almost kill a baby? Like, was that a joke? Did you thought it was a joke? And then the next episode is something like "hit the diamond" and leaves me thinking if there was a point of any of that, why put effort in filling this caracters if you're going to have them act like lighthearted retards the next?

I laughed out loud at that scene.

No this is the problem with multiple Story boarders

Look at Connie's character for fucks sakes

>11 minute episodes really hurt the drama.

That is a bullshit cop-out

Adult Swim has had numerous 11 minute shows with overarching plots and stories that have been comedies, action shows, etc.

The writers of SU are just fucking hacks who can't adapt.

Where SU falls flat is its handling of the human cast.

Besides Greg and Connie humanity as a whole exists for nothing but filler gags. The entire heart of the series revolves around aliens finding humans special and rebelling for our way of life in theory but in practise they don't really integrate into human society at all and humans are just a background detail that the audience mostly doesn't care about.

When people learn that the latest episode is just bumming around beach city again there's an undeniable sigh of disappointment. People want stuff that happens, not Steven as a fucking vending machine. It's like two different shows.

>Promised Looney Tunes with Buddy, shafts everyone when it airs.
>Not even clips of old Buddy cartoons.
>If done right we could of got more Looney Tunes DVDs & Blu-Rays.

I agree with the rest of your points, but fuck off.

That's fucking stupid. Come up with a better show instead of propping up a mediocre, preexisting show.

>Then I see you and I wish I done something

Yeah, SU would do fine in the 90s

At most it would be less gay

>now you understand why women shouldn't make cartoons

the only thing women should be doing is make babies and take punches to the face

That's because Sugar is a literal amateur, and like alll teenager fanfics it's a "everthing I at the same time" intead of one story per theme.
It's also why literally every character is "part of herself" and thus redeemable. Don't expect true evil,, until one of her characters is her dad.

Sugar LOVES her father

Greg is partially based on him

in the 91's SU would be in direct competition with the golden age of Japanese animation all over the world, and in the west, would be stomped by the worst movie tie simply because it's flat flash in a time were low paid coreans would hand draw real animation.

not an argument. SU is the animation equivalent of a shovelware.

>90s
>"real" animation

youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Bitch, you know nothing of animation
(picture related)

no, 3rd party acquisitions are shovelware

Yea, Tiny Toons & Batman were golden.

This is what Japan was doing in the 90s.
youtube.com/watch?v=rirBqcsqSjg

Also.
>15,000 won a hour.
>In 1991 money.
>Low pay.

>Thinking anime is shovelware.

no, that is weeboo shit

>Person does evil and irredeemable thing
>"Person its not evil guys, he/she is just sad/very autistic"

I fucking hate this shit.

>Implying Hitler was not Autistic

>Implying someone cant be evil and also an autist

Guess why SU is so garbage then.

I enjoy the show. I don't agree with any of the opinions you have.

I dont like the show. I dont agree with your opinion.

>actual criticism

Its just "I don't like this because MUH OPINION."

Its not wrong, but I can't see any possible spurious it could offer other than "Just watch something else then."

>90's
>not 00'

>Its just "I don't like this because MUH OPINION."
It literally isn't. He's saying it tries to do too much so it doesn't do anything well. And that's a valid criticism to make. Though you could argue the exact degree to which it does not succeed, that's very pointed advice a showmaker could use.

I don't agree.

Not the point. It isn't just "MUH OPINION" it's a thoughtful criticism.

"MUH OPINION" would be "The show is shit and you're shit for liking it!" Which isn't really the case.

Why did they even come up with future vision?
It needs to be ignored for anything interesting to happen. It just seems more like a liability than anything.

I think you're wrong.

About what?

About everything.

I'm glad I could enable your shitposting, at the very least.

Why no cintiq on animation disc? No wonder drawings in new animations are shit

There's a certain demographic that this show strongly appeals to that fully embraces the "I can be everything" attitude. And almost none of it is done well as a result.

rip sug

Wan' sum fuk, m8?

But it is funny and dramatic. You just have fucking shit taste

Who else cried or at least teared up when Steven broke down in the rubys ship, crying for his dad.

future vision just shows garnet the possibilities not the actual future

>Steven crying
>again
Wow, how dramatic.

For someone with vision into future possibilities, Garnet/Sapphire sure doesn't see a lot of things coming. Most of them are things that are practically guaranteed to happen too.

Damn those perspective proportions are so fucked up
They don't teach that on Calarts?

This show is a weird divide. %90 of the time I either see people shitting on it or praising it's very name as the second coming.

To me, it's pretty fun, lighthearted, story focused show, slightly marred by it's narrative.

I like the songs (except a few). The drama does tend to be a bit much, with most of it coming out of nowhere, but where it's well paced, it's very impacting and you can relate to the characters plights (Pearl losing a loved one both to some dude she hates and to death, Amethyst trying to cope an inferiority complex, Steven trying to live up to a legacy of a person he never knew and could never possibly match)

However, as much as I like the show my BIGGEST issue is that it tends to spend so much time trying to be "unique" and "diverse" that it forgets what made it unique in the first place.

Still, I ultimately like the show and recommend everyone try it at least once.

>>now you understand why women shouldn't make cartoons

made by white Americans, so no

It was different though, it was a lot more relatable. I guess it's since I've seen someone grieve over the death of their dad. Most of his other crying sessions are over dumb, stupid shit, this just struck me differently.

who the fuck grabs pencil like that?

You can boild down any discussion to "MUH OPINION"

And while i can see it as somewhat pointless you could say the same for discussions saying its great or any kind of critique really. People can like things that are poorly constructed or dislike something tecnicaly flawless, it depends on the person, and we end up havind these discussions in an attempt to try to understand eachother.

Also, while theres no rules for story telling, one shouldnt try so to be many things at the same time or runs the risk of loosing its focus. Someone with talent and experience might pull it off but its very easy to screw up.

>Now you understand why women shouldn't make cartoons

CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIIIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

Oh shit there's new episodes?

a woman's place is in the kitchen and the bedroom

THIS
Steven universe is a "glass half-empty/half-full show." Some people only see the negatives while others see only the positive because the show is mediocre.

They leaked an entire fucking Stevenbomb.

Good jub CN

One of the parts of Garnet's arc that doesn't get played up is that her existence took sapphire's future vision by surprise. Because something that Garnet loves about the earth is that it's so random (*holds up a spork* XD).

Garnet sees things with clear logical probability and her fortune telling relies on rational behavior for accuracy. Humans don't act rationally, love isn't rational, and this might just be headcanon but I'm sure she enjoys being caught off guard on earth.

it appears causing SU to bomb is decidedly the goal of the bombs.

Not that they really need to help the show into the grave, it is practically burying itself.

Name one currently airing show that is in any way better.

Adventure Time

Drake and josh

Your suggested argument would not prove or disprove the one you are responding to, it at best would show the state of western animation.

How do you intend to do that? Every idea I've seen on Sup Forums to make SU better from the ground up has had some major flaw that made it lame as fuck

Not me.

Steven cries too much. It loses its effect when he cries over almost everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=R0v0LnW0qJk

Chris-chan.

You're kidding right?

TTgo, nuPuff are already crushing it it's not a competition when ou have not a single positive point on your side.

>It's like two different shows.
I have almost never been able to put my exact qualms with SU into words but this has pretty much summed it up perfectly. You see stuff like Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem and The Return/Jailbreak, and it's almost entirely removed from the SoL episodes save for the humans being there to make scared faces/noises or react comically. The only really emotional part (in my opinion, at least) was Peedee clinging to his family's business and begging not to leave, but even that wasn't enough to really convince me to care.

I... it's just animated badly enough to be parody chopshop...

yet, it's just believable enough...

can you disprove it? no matter how boring it became, AT is creative in its design without being grotesque. It isn't preachy. It actually has bad guys and flawed guys were mistake aren't erased by crying.
Also the music is better. SU highest musical note was niggertalk 'I bettah cause I am nigah" moment.Tells a lot.