Poorly Planned Webcomics / Dead Webcomics Discussion

Has anyone on Sup Forums read poorly planned comics? Thoughts on the work? The author?

I thought it was an interesting exploration of ideas that got a bit navel-gazey at points, and the descent into a schizophrenic mess at the latter stages is very different and more malicious and genuinely confused than the mid-50s and mid-100s confusing bits.

Very tragic thing about the author, you can really see his mental state deteriorating throughout the comic. Especially if you read the "Why" page where he explains why he committed suicide by reprinting selections from his emails/conversations.

Also, general Lost/Dead webcomics thread, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

poorlyplannedcomics.com/
plorg.org/Why.htm
undefined.net/1/0/?strip=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's rather difficult to read, and varies between Good and Interesting and Bad and Banal but Maybe Ironic pretty badly at some points. I really like examinations of metafictional shit, so I liked it.

Dude was pretty obviously unhinged towards the end. Quite sad.

Some stuff he obviously planned out, because he had to have. Some stuff you think he may have just thrown it in to wrap up unsolved threads. Some stuff he blatantly admits is off the rails and he has no idea what he's doing in terms of a coherent overarching narrative anymore. Interesting, and leading to some fascinating stuff that you can tell is him projecting his own psyche, but also not especially conducive to casual internet reading like webcomics lend them to. Arguably not even that innovative, or good.

>Link to the website (maintained after his death by his mother I think):
poorlyplannedcomics.com/

It's set to die in July of this year, so I'm gonna try to rip it before that happens. I think this ought to be preserved, because I like it, if nothing else.

Link to his "suicide note" (hardly traditional format): plorg.org/Why.htm

You should probably read this after reading the comic, because he does reference it in a way that makes more sense if you've made your way through the mess that is the final fifty comics.

Pic related is the final strip of the comic.

Don't worry if you're planning on reading the comic, there's no spoilers.

Bump 1/5

bump 2/5

Bump 3/3, I'm gonna let this thread die since nobody seems interested.

Last thing I wanted to note though, if you look through his "suicide note" page you can see he went on one of those sites where they match you up with some random person who listens to your problems or whatever. It's pretty blatant that the guy he connects to is way out of his depth, and it's honestly incredibly sad that the Author never actually made it to a real therapist. Whether that was his own choice, or he did and it didn't help, or murican healthcare meant he couldn't afford it, I don't know, but it's a tragedy any way you look at it.

I'm here user, I'm just reading
This is pretty interesting even though it's sad

About how long is it?

There are a lot of interesting webcomics out there if you look. At least there were years ago, I haven't been as active in the last 5 - 8 years.

Do you have other recs?

Does anyone rememeber this old webcomic, it began with that Picasso quote about "Artists steal" and was mostly about geometric shapes poorly drawn interacting with the author, and it led to long questions about the nature of God and reality.

I really liked it a lot years ago. So much so, that I actually e-mailed the author to tell him I liked it.

It's 280-odd strips but some of them are quite long.

In terms of contemporary stuff? Gunnerkrigg court, Unsounded, It Hurts!!! are pretty gud, but more narrative based, not experimental.

In terms of dead stuff, I always liked pictures for sad children, though that died relatively recently. IIRC you can only read that if you pic up one of those downloaded archives, the site's completely gone.

VGcats recently had their domain lapse briefly, so I've heard, so that's on life support.

Most dead webcomics I found when I was going through a webcomic-binge phase when I was like 14, and I can't remember their names for the life of me, but have really vivid memories of certain artstyles or sequences.

Anyone remember that comic that had a definite end, and had a bunch of characters that conversed directly with the author after a bibel-ish world creation sequence?

Most salient point I can remember is that the "land" they lived on was the dead body of one of the giant precursor characters from the early days of the strip, kind of like the Norse creation myth.

Oh, and if anyone's made it to page 31, try pressing H for real.

this is sad and eerie, by the things he enjoyed and talked about i feel like i've met someone like him during my time on the internet.

Same, user. This is hitting a little too close to home

If you find it please reply user

Man, I can't read it. Feels as though I'm some voyeur. It should be something only his loved ones should have access to.

Haha, that's the same one I asked about, about Geometric shapes. I found it, it's called 1/0. I last read it when I was 14, so it might not be good. But there you go.

1/0

undefined.net/1/0/?strip=1

Occasionally there's a real gutbuster in the How's Your Webcomic generals.

1/0 is pretty good if you're into navel-gazing way too meta comics

Which personally I am

That's from Drew Weing's journal comic, isn't it. He's not dead as far as I know--did some other creator basically steal Weing's artwork then add all that horrible digital bullshit to it? That's what it looks like....

Yeah me too. I plan to reread it as an adult and see if I still care.