What caused this franchise to become so popular when it is just as bad as Twilight and Hunger Games that followed it...

What caused this franchise to become so popular when it is just as bad as Twilight and Hunger Games that followed it, was it solely the author's personal struggles and rags to riches or is it something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3hZ_ZyzCO24
twitter.com/AnonBabble

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Watch more films. Harry Potter is kino.

it was shilled at the right time in the right place

>No!

The books were very popular at the time.

you post the worst HP movie as your pic related.
Prisoner of Azkaban is very well made movie, visual metaphors is on point, and changed the aesthetic for the rest of the series. WB took a risk with Alfonso Cuarón and it payed off. The theme music is memorable too.
The books the movies are based on nail character archetypes, themes, and symbolism that we're all familiar with. It's a good hero's journey story.
That is why the franchise imo has gained it's popularity.

>Twilight
>Hunger games
I'm no HP fan but it's a head and shoulders above those two.

inb4 someone posts the dullest copypasta in recent history
>bu-but at least the image he posts is funny
"No!"

His image wrongfully describes classics of old as low tier simpleton literature. he is a pleb and i hate him for it.

Harry Potter pretty much helped popularize those two series or at least publishing companies trying to market in on the success but I think what made those fail was that the authors didn't have a sad backstory like Rowling and she kind of helped normalize single motherhood a little more.

Harry Potter is a modern classic. Twilight and Hunger Games are trends. Kids will still watch Harry Potter decades from now just like The Wizard of Oz.

No, it's because their novels sucked

I watched all of them, but I can't remember anything about these movies. What does this mean?

it's better than twilight but really no different to the hunger games

Because most modern pop-culture blockbusters are not made by real artists but by "yes, men" who sit behind a desk all day hoping to rake in millions in cash from whatever generic shit they can pander to the most retarded people.

It has a lot of elements that appeal to children (the main characters go to school, there are lots of monsters and fantastical creatures, etc.).

It probably also helps that the author is married to someone at a large marketing firm.

>It probably also helps that the author is married to someone at a large marketing firm.
That and she was or is an ESL teacher and can shill her book to foreigners because it is an easy read.

>sci fi shit - Star Wars
>fantasy shit - LOTR
>magic shit - Harry Potter
It's the base trifecta of the nerd culture. This was the setup to ensure big money for big guys. That J.K. Cunt just happened to be chosen as the face of magic shit.

What about Pratchett?

I imagine it would be really amazing to grow up in a world where people practice wizardry at a young age and get sent off to learn magic at a school where you always have adventures and shit.

What part of
>just happened to be chosen
Did you not get?
Entertainment is a business and (((they))) don't care about quality when they can literal shit to the masses (Hunger Games, Twilight)

Can anyone tell me what he meant by this?

>kino
Maybe if you're 12

POA is so boring though

>Can anyone tell me what he meant by this?
"No!"

The fucking books /thread

Good

it's about a kid who goes to school, only his school is cool. you wish your school was cool too so you read his story and watch his movie and wish you had a school that cool.

sheesh

hungergames is absolute garbage.
the battle royal settings is nice, but the love story is aweful and the future settings makes it look terrible.

Maybe the books are better, ive just seen the movie.
HP books are also better than the movie.

HP setting is just super comfy.

>What caused this franchise to become so popular

It started with the books. They were best sellers from the beginning. The IP grew and when the first movie was released a fan base already existed and then exploded beyond the atmosphere. Basically.
Also WB did a good job with this franchise from a business perspective, when a major studio does that for an IP the popularity goes through the roof no matter what.

26 POSTS AND WE'RE CLEAR

THE CANCER IS DEAD

No pasta ?

SOON

30 POSTS

WE DID IT REDDIT

Excellent point. Ive seen all Hunger Games which was mediocre. Never Twilight or Harry Potter. Im 35 and my 36 year old cousin even read all the books lol.

it got stupid people to read in a cellphone dominated world.

Its a self insert story that manage to appeal to both boys and girls, the fact that the characters grew up with the reader also helped it a lot. Honestly I think it has one of the widest target demographics you can find of any series out there.

Surprised at it's popularity, despite it being the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.
Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
a-at least the books were good though
"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."
I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

accent.

You're late, is everything okay?

It's not nearly as bad as Twilight. I guarantee that you have not watched and/or read both of those series.

this

in fact, the pre-movie Harry Potter franchise was comfy as fuck. All the merchandise and board games and vidya had the visual aesthetic of the US cover art, which is objectively the best cover art.

once the movies came out, everything started trying to match them instead.

late 90's (when the series became popular) was not "cellphone dominated"

Ninety percent of the strength of the books is that Rowling writes pretty good dialogue. She's also very good at coming up with names for stuff, and for characters, which is an underrated artform. Her plotting is pretty shit but it doesn't really matter because the previous two things aid her world building and put the comfinesslevels levels off the fucking charts.

It was written by and for dopey cunts.

I'm not the regular guy, just filling in
Hope they're ok too

yeah, the plots themselves are nothing that special, but she's extremely good at worldbuilding and at imagery.

unfortunately some of that imagery is a bit hard to really put into movie terms, and only the first 2 movies really do it justice. Chris Columbus really knew what he was doing with the visual direction of those 2. The visuals never really recovered since they replaced him. Mike Newell came close, IMO, with Goblet of Fire, but then he got replaced too, and the last 3 movies were shit visually. Honestly, by the last movie they practically abandoned any pretense of caring about the imagery. Though I suppose part of the problem was how the later movies had less and less of the classroom school stuff, which was arguably the best stuff. Seeing them, yknow, actually doing the wizarding learning shit.

they also cut tons of shit out, some of which might have been better to keep in.

I dunno. the movies just got to shit after the second one, and totally shit after the 4th one

I kind of blame Harry Potter for setting in stone the "big budget hollywood multi movie franchise" trend that still goes on to this day, and is currently perpetuated by Marvel and WB's DC movies. where studios try not to make movies, but make quick and easy franchises.

It targeted the right demographic at a right time in a right way. Duh.

This. Prisoner of Azkaban was high tier.

youtube.com/watch?v=3hZ_ZyzCO24

>modern classic
Shit sandwich
Poop tea
Rapist virgin
Burger cuisine

nobody gave a shit about it pre millennium. post millennium YA novels became a thing.
before they were just children's books then YA books became some sort of "intellectual standard bearers" because "they were popular before they were movies." the rest of the world went from meh to face palm respectively

You're doing God's work user

the series became popular WITH the children';s books though. I know because I remember the fuss around the late 90's and seeing the displays at stores full of the first book

Harry potter is in the Toy Story realm where it's a franchise that grew with it's audience.

absolutely. it was more of the nature of the industry than anything else. YA became a thing when everything was lacking. hp was probably the best constructed of all the others that were trying the same thing. just glad the dice didnt land on eragon or some other option of the like

Like clockwork

But unironically yeah, the third is my favorite, pic related always gives me a good laugh to end the movie on a lighthearted note.

shocker user.
twilight and the hunger games are popular too

Pratchett is fantastic, but Discworld is a commentary on Fantasy tropes as well as real life oddities. That's the mission statement: "This is the disc. A world and mirror of worlds."
It can't be fully understood if you look at it in isolation. For example, all the jokes about Carrot secretly being a heir to the kingdom of Ankh-Morpork falls flat if you've not read LotR or some derivative of it, if you do not know it's a classic trope.

THe humour is underrated in the books. There were quite a few instances where i almost pissed myself reading this as a child. Theres a scene in the 5th novel near the end where Ron is somewhat brainfogged because of a spell and they come upon tanks with giant brains in them and he's like "Whoa Harry look at those crazy brains" or something and lifts them out of the tank and they attack him. Still chuckle everytime i think about it, second favourite is when Harry asks Cho out and stumbles all over his words. This never translated to the film versions

Harry Potter is only shilled due to Rowling's involvement as an ESL teacher, a large portion of Britain's literacy rates are appalling so it's no wonder the only book mainstream adults have read here is Harry Potter.

The Ministry scenes were so much cooler in the book. I too missed the "Look, Harry, brains!" scene.
The scene where Snape goes around grabbing them by the neck for talking in class is kino though. Especially where he's hovering behind them, slowly pulling up his sleeves for a second helping.

I should have known you were an impostor because of the ugly formatting.

I still love you.

T-thanks user, love you too