What happened to action cartoons?

It seemed like they were everywhere in the early 2000's now they seem to non existent...

Other urls found in this thread:

cartoonbrew.com/business/dreamworks-layoffs-round-2-170-employees-chopping-block-145773.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cheap comidies bring more views for less cost and aren't reliant on merch sales.

you're right I guess. It really sucks due to the fact that I pretty much grew up in the early 2000's with shows such as Teen Titans, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Batman: The Animated Series, and so on...

Oh god, I keep forgetting you little shits are technically adults now.

Yup, a new generation to mope about how cartoons from our generation were so much better and ignoring some of the flaws some of these shows had...

They're coming back. Star Wars Rebels, Justice League Action, Voltron, Trollhunters, Kulipari, Puss in Boots, Marvel cartoons, etc.

They took a set-back, but they're coming back.

>MCU cartoons
Has the bar been set this low?

Justice League action

Action cartoons are co-financed by toy companies; the network doesn't foot the entire bill.

Toy sales have been plummeting for years and now it's no longer feasible to produce action cartoons, which have always traditionally been half-hour toy commercials.

Networks can't afford to produce action cartoons without co-financing from toy companies. Toy companies can't afford to co-finance action cartoons because the market is so bad and the meager increase in sales doesn't justify the expense.

It's an era that's over and we're just going to have to get used to it. Saturday Morning Cartoons and first-run syndication were also staples of TV animation at one point and eventually went bellyup when the markets shifted. These things happen.

with the way most channels are run, they'll probably be canceled at a cliffhanger.

Yup...

I guess there is no god...

And before someone chimes in with "BUH BUH BUT ANIMEEEEE!"

Japanese studios can afford to produce action cartoons without co-financing from toy companies because the blu ray sets cost $60 a disk with only 4 episodes on it.

That business model would never succeed in the US, so the whole "anime" thing is a non-equivalent.

Unless you REALLY want to make us believe that you'd spend $60 for 4 episodes of New ThunderCats, just to keep the show going.

>anime of Sup Forums
isn't the point of this board to talk about WESTERN cartoons?

Troll Hunters

pretty sure he brought it up because alot of us grew up with anime along with our western action shows before we knew the difference and anime on tv outside toonami is non-existent .

Condescending attitudes don't mean much here. You know that right, user?

TV in general is making less money, and action shows cost a lot of money. Places that are making more such as Netflix are investing in them.
user, many Usenet users had the same feeling about you.

We're talking about existing, not them being good.

Half of those are protected by Netflix immunity.

There is wakfu but is practically an anime.

Fuck your shit ima make my own action cartoon faggot.

I think action cartoons lost their spark because of all those "dark" storylines theyve been doing.

Young Justice
>too interesting to cram into 20 minutes per week

TF Prime
>Cybertron is Dead
>DARK Energon
>Optimus dies until RiD

Green Lantern
>Razor's edge
>Ava is dead, but i still think she's alive THE END

Avengers EMH
>that Skrull arc
>?????????????

Ben 10 AF/UA
>babby's first dark
>long boring fight scenes
>Ultimate Ben just gets all alien powers instead of turning into things

And it was really made to advertise a videogame

Maybe if toy companies werent reliant on cheap unarticulated gimmicky shit then they wouldnt be failing

NuMale and tumblr fan girls happened

I think it was ushered in by the the last airbender
then the young justice

Do Action Cartoons work well as a comics? Without the graphic and mature content of conventional comics I mean

i havent seen any

Anyone watch this? I loved Batman vs Dracula

I just want more cartoons in the vein of Code Lyoko and Teen titans, basically shows that involve a group of 5 or 6 people and each character has their own story arcs.

yeah mane, its on Netflix US

i love it

esp the first two seasons

I always knew the difference, cartoons had ugly girls.

Young Justice's problem for me was every hero except Aqualad and Robin being an asshole while the Villains were omnipotent in their planning.

>Raven
>Starfire
Muh heart

I'd like a slightly grown-up Raven/Starfire show desu.

It's the perfect show for everyone. They're complimentary personalities which would work together in a buddy-cop-type dynamic, and they cover both ends of the sexual spectrum from modest/reserved to outgoing/slut (while both being competent heroes), so it would be an easy sell to feminists. Not to mention Trigon, one of their natural nemeses, would provide the show with a literally satanic evil domineering male character whom is organic to their history, and an extremely effective pandering object for SJWs.

Nightwing and Beast Boy could show up from time to time as support for big story lines and will-they-won't-they love interests, but really everybody would know the ambiguously REALLY good friends dynamic relationship between the main duo is where it's at.

>Raven has bigger tits
>Raven has a bigger ass

How does Starfire even compete? Personality?

This. Kids don't play with toys anymore and the birthrates and wages have tanked due to the economic collapse. Since there's nobody to buy toys, toy companies won't fund cartoons, so cheap gag cartoons are made to sell airtime.

I took it for granted when shows like Batman/Superman TAS and the Justice League cartoons were being shown.

Cartoons nowadays look like SJW crap

Watch them all get cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons.

Yeah but raiding weebshits love to bring up that shit in every thread they can

exactly.

Some people like dark and moody, some like bright and cheery

Plus her foreign girl personality is cute

Well Rebels is on to season 3, and I'd bet Voltron keeps going. Not bothered to look up the MCU cartoons though.

MCU cartoons at this point are basically gag cartoons disguised as action cartoons.

>Kids don't play with toys anymore
Fucking why though?

because they are playing with cellphone and other gadgets that are cooler than cheaply made action figures

>because they are playing with cellphone and other gadgets that are cooler than cheaply made action figures
I hope steve jobs is getting raped by BBC in hell for killing the action figure market

People born in the 90's were still young during the 2000's.

Again, see

It's no longer unusual for adults to have (not sex) toys of varying descriptions due to the proliferation of "geek culture". Give it a few more years and it will entirely normal. Market size isn't the problem.

Give AI and robotics technology several more years to mature, and we'll have the kind of walking, talking toys that kids have dreamed about generations. Shit that will beat Toy Story. Then sales will explode.

>We will never get season 6 of the 2003 teen titans.
>We will never get a beach episode where Starfire is wearing a bikini and blissfully unaware of how much of a tease she is towards Robin.
>We'll never see Raven reluctantly wearing a bikini and pouting.

It's not fair bros. Avatar got their beach episode. Why could we have one?

>Starfire changes to a bikini.
>Everyone looks at Raven.
>She just takes off her cloak and starts walking off in her normal leotard.
>Notices everyone still staring at her.
>"What?"

We were living in a Golden Era. We will never get something like the DCAU ever again.

>tfw this would be perfectly good material for such an episode
I laughed at first at this scene, but then I realized it is actually not that risque or unthinkable.

Damn Raven. You lewd.

>Avatar
>came out in 2005
>EARLY 2000s

At least we have Voltron

isn't young justice coming back for a third season?

also some people prefer a petite body over a thicc one.

Yeah Netflix is really picking up the slack all the networks have left when it comes to action cartoons, it seems to be paying off too.

I imagine her beachwear would look exactly like the one she uses at the pool in TTGO.

We call those people homosexuals

There will never be a season 5 of X-men evolution. Sadly, pic is most definitely related

Too bad that their unwatchable at best.
Batman was 100% funded by Fox/Kids WB.

Same with the rest of the DCAU

Avatar was 100% funded with SpongeBob money, same with Korra.
They don't need to do that because 1 view = 1 dollar, with anime they air so late that they have to leach off of DVD sales but because our projects air on hours people are awake we have no reason to sell so much for so little.
It's won't, Dreamworks laid off it's staff.

cartoonbrew.com/business/dreamworks-layoffs-round-2-170-employees-chopping-block-145773.html
DUDE! That makes Paul J Smith look like Chuck Jones, get this fujo garbage out of the industry.
As thick = might have a heart attack, remember their heath.
That is false.

Cell phones/tablets, and toys are mostly shit. Every time I pass a toy aisle it's all shit that has noise/talking features, is movie specific or Barbie. The toys do the imagining part for you now and that kills the potential fun. Might as well sit on Youtube watching Pewdiepie or cat videos, you get about the same entertainment out of it while having the option to talk to your friends while you're doing it.

13+ kiddo

Justice League Action is pretty good.

It has a good balance of action and comedy and when it tries to be funny it usually works. The animation and designs are decent, they could be better in all honesty but I'm glad we didn't get Teen Titans Go but with the justice league this time around. I kinda wished the Ben 10 reboot was more like this show.

I already have a favorite episode too. it's the one with Toyman

There have been plenty of action cartoons in the 2010s, you just didn't watch them

>Transformers Animated
>Transformers Prime
>Transformers RiD 2015
>G.I. Joe Renegades
>TMNT

And of course the short lived DC shows but blame CN for that

But really, fact of the matter is action shows are simply kind of not the "in" thing, can't help that...and furthermore, why is everybody ITT seemingly blending the 90s and 00s? Shows like Batman/Superman TAS, and Teen Titans and Justice League came from entirely different decades....the 90s and 00s are not the same eras

Why does the fps drop for a few seconds in each episode?

>Toyman episode
Good taste.

Not to mention all the Marvel shows from Spectacular Spidey to Ultimate which is only now just ending, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, and all the other Marvel shows that aired on Disney....good or bad, action cartoons never went anywhere, they just got overshadowed by other shows be it MLP, Adventure Time, or Gravity Falls and other shows that were doing new ideas

Budget cuts and that SMIP is not a good studio.

Can also add Wolverine and the X-Men to this list if we're counting very late 00's cartoons with the 2010s

I tried to watch it recently but couldn't get past the VA for Batman. He just didn't fit Batman's voice.

There was a huge purge around 2012 where a lot of action shows were either canceled or not renewed for a variety of reasons:
>CN poorly planing the commercialization of Sym Bionic Titan, not making toylines and then shutting down the shows for not selling enough non-existing toys
>Marvel wanting to rebrand its cartoons to be more in-line with the MCU (and also more shit) under Man of Action and Loeb taking the head of Marvel TV and pushing his shitty "kids don't want long running plots, just mindless action and comedy" narrative
>The DC dedicated block on CN failing
>GL:TAS couldn't move toys because no one wanted to stock up on GL toys since they still had unsold garbage from the shitty movie in their backstores
>The lead character designer of GI Joe Renegades dying of cancer and the Hub going to shit as a whole
>Thundercats 2012 falling in ratings (for good reasons)
>Don't really know why Disney XD decided to axe Tron Uprising and Motorcity, but they did
>Korra being fucking terrible and sent to die on Nick's online services
etc.

It mostly comes down to executive meddling and action cartoons not being as profitable as comedies since they're not as cheap to produce and write.

Nowadays I think the only action cartoons still alive and thriving are Netflix shows like Voltron and 10 minutes shorts like Justice League Action. I wouldn't call shows on constant hiatus and uncertain futures due to shitty network meddling like TMNT 2012 and Steven Universe "alive and thriving". "On death row" would be more accurate.

>getting angry about anime in Sup Forums
Fucking newfag

>Avengers EMH
>Avengers Assemble
>Iron Man Armored Adventures

OP pretty much has a moot point

Good writing/ funny jokes are cheaper than good animation.

>implying you need good animation to make an action cartoon people like

Samurai Jack...DBZ....Teen Titans....Pokemon...all quite bad animation and quite bad action, all loved by the manchildren who love action shows, go figure

But The Legend of Korra was thriving online. There was a time where you couldn't go anywhere without seeing tumblrinas having a discussion on the latest episode that released during that week.

Well, you're more knowledgeable than most, but I wouldn't step into Sup Forums quite yet. The thing is is that the "otaku" anime make dividends that way. These anime aren't really the Japanese equivalent of western action cartoons. They usually run in seasons of 12, air past midnight and are meant for fans of anime specifically. Japan still has saturday morning cartoons meant for children, and those are almost identical to how ours were.

They're often funded by other companies looking to advertise through anime, whether its manga or video game. And they also heavily rely on merch sales to make money.

To be fair, it wasn't sent there to die. It was sent there to be put in the grave, it died on air ages ago.

Heres the thing.

>CN poorly planing the commercialization of Sym Bionic Titan, not making toylines and then shutting down the shows for not selling enough non-existing toys
Theres also Dezaki wanting the show canceled due to CN shafting him and TMS, TMS later sued CN for misstreatment of the IP but threated to take Bakugan off the network, they waited until they stoped doing Bakugan (due to Xebec taking over) and won the law suit.

TMS ended up getting the rights back in 2014 and paid off it's debt in 2015, they thinking of doing a French series like with Italy's Blue Jacket but thats it.
>Marvel wanting to rebrand its cartoons to be more in-line with the MCU (and also more shit) under Man of Action and Loeb taking the head of Marvel TV and pushing his shitty "kids don't want long running plots, just mindless action and comedy" narrative.
In short, Lasseter has no say in the TV unit, if he did this would of never happen.
>The DC dedicated block on CN failing.
More adults were watching it then kids.
>GL:TAS couldn't move toys because no one wanted to stock up on GL toys since they still had unsold garbage from the shitty movie in their backstores.
Again, more adults were watching it then kids.
>The lead character designer of GI Joe Renegades dying of cancer and the Hub going to shit as a whole.
It was for the best, sorry about the cancer however.
>Thundercats 2012 falling in ratings (for good reasons).
The only good thing to come out of that was Butterfly Blues, I know 4C used TMS on a few episodes (1, 5 and 26) but they were pared up with Moi on every episode they did and they still could not same that show.
>Don't really know why Disney XD decided to axe Tron Uprising and Motorcity, but they did.
Death bed network, Pokemon will be no diffent.
Korra was a insult to the industry.

There was a tiny when comedies costed just as much as action shows, it's called the 90s.

Also Voltron:LD has so much SJW BS in it that it makes Steven Universe look like Billy & Mandy.

Also Voltron:LD is fujo garbage that makes Tex Avery & Bob Clampett turn in their graves.

*save that show.

>Transformers Animated
>Transformers Prime
>Transformers RiD 2015
>G.I. Joe Renegades
>TMNT
>Beware The Batman
>Green Lantern
>Wolverine and the X-Men
>Iron Man Armored Adventures
>Spectacular Spider-Man
>Ultimate Spider-Man
>Gaurdians of the Galaxy
>Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes
>Avengers Assemble
>Tron Uprising
>Korra
>Thundercats

What else is missing then? Good or bad, some of these shows lasted just as long as Teen Titans...and as for the ones that didn't, you probably should have shown more support for them if you wanted them to have longer lifespans, there really is no reality to the claim that "action cartoons don't exist anymore", you can debate the quality of the ones that have existed, but that's really about it.

New Spider-Man show about to come out too, js, it's gonna suck but hey Teen Titans sucked too it'll probably have the same kinda cringey humor TT fans liked and have waifus.

That and otakus actually DO buy toys, music CDs and a whole bunch of derivative products based on the shows they like, so the market surrounding their shows isn't as dead as the Western toy market. There's an entire industry thriving on anime fans emptying their pockets on every products surrounding the flavor of the month. Many shows actually get sponsored or straight up made by companies that either produce or distribute those derivative products, and anime studios welcome those corporate sponsors with open arms to the point where many shows outright reserves a place for sponsor thanking at the end of their opening credits.

Oh, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., there's another one....only ten fewer episodes than Teen Titans, funny, OP seems to be under the impression it didn't exist at all

Care to elaborate a bit?

There is a character who wants a sex change but can't have a sex change because she is under 18.

Yeah it's just a happy accident that it happens to be a really good commercial.

Uh no? I mean at least watch the series before making retarded statements. Everyone told her "lol ur a girl, you can't do shit." and then became a boy in drag so they could do something which is what they desired. They aren't some kind of tranny you idiot, it's the typical "I must become something I am not to become the hero I want to be." trope.

My favorite example of this (not even being sarcastic, I fucking loved the show) is probably Gundam Build Fighters, an entire anime dedicated to showcasing how cool it is to buy and build Gundam models and initiating newcomers to how awesome Gundam is and how they should totally go and watch (buy) all the series because look at these cool robots fighting each other and don't forget that you can actually buy and build all the robots you see in this show! Buy now!

The cameos of the different models served two purposes: making old fans go OH SHIT DREAM MATCH BETWEEN ROBOTS OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS THAT NEVER FOUGHT EACH OTHER and new fans going WOAH THESE ARE COOL WHAT ARE THEY FROM? MAN I GOTTA WATCH THAT!, both of which were mirrored in the show's two protagonists, a massive Gundam nerd that's kind of a wimp and doesn't want his precious toys hurt in a fight and a kid that's literally alien to Gundam as a whole but gets way into the robot fighting aspect and is a prodigy at it. There's even a girl love interest for the MC that's there for a small strike at the elusive girl market and has a small character arc that basically goes "hey girls if you want to buy our models too that's cool with us because we love money, we even have cute and easy beginner models that look like teddy bears! Please don't feel overwhelmed! Building Gundam models is fun for everyone!"

Hell, the show was even officially subbed in house and distributed on Youtube FOR FREE in English, Chinese and later Thai because hey, even foreigners should watch our toy commercial and buy our products!

All in all I feel the show's the perfect example of the Japanese marketability of derivative products surrounding their animation pieces and how they manage to be profitable beyond simple DVD/BR sales and someone more knowledgeable of the animation industry than me could make some great analysis of this show.

Thanks for proving you're talking out of your ass, retard.

Whoever posted this, we debunked that months ago.
Debunked.

Yeah, I'm not going to take some shitty general headcanon over what was explained in the show. Unless you can get proof from the actual director that, that is infact the intention of pidge, it's just headcanon.

Yeah and most of these are under the protective gaze of Netflix, too, so they'll stick around till the story's told.

I would imagine Rebels will get to play to the end too.

They never said that, you're delusional, seek help.
Voltron's crew has been laid off and the show was canceled because of it.

Then how was pidge dressing in drag to get into pilot school because they wouldn't allow her as a girl "debuked" and is instead a tranny.

She is a tranny, end of story.

Great argument. There is no end of story your headcanon is a fucking lie you faggot. Maybe you should spend less time in a gay shipping thread and you might understand that just because people want someone to be a tranny doesn't mean they are.

There is no headcanon, only facts.

I'm still waiting for those "facts". All you said so far was "She is tranny, end of story." that isn't a fact. My facts are what was taken from the story of the actual cartoon series and what explained why pidge crossdress.

So why not hit me with those hot facts.