Sup Forums

Sup Forums,

How do I into Doctor Doom?

I've always thought he was a great character, villain or otherwise. Modern art might be a plus, but not a necessity.

Hickman's Fantastic Four run would be a good place to start. In fact, all of Hickman's recent runs (FF, Avengers/New Avengers) do a good job of portraying Doom as more than just a comic book villain, but a man who merely wants the world to be "better" but in his own way.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check those out. That's definitely part of why I like him. He's an egotistical asshole, but he's not evil.

Is he a large part of the Hickman FF run?

What about Secret Wars?

Lee/Kirby you fool

Read Triumph and Torment

Triumph & Torment

Some people liked it, some hated it. Some of the tie-ins are simply amazing. The whole idea of Battleworld was the best thing to happen to Marvel in years.

So far, I've gathered that I should be reading:

Books of Doom
Triumph and Torment
Doomwar
Fantastic Four #67 and Unthinkable (Unthinkable seems to get bad reviews because Doom is portrayed without a noble heart - something that might put me off reading it)
Hickman's Fantastic Four, Avengers, New Avengers and Secret Wars.

How's that sound?

Written by WHO?

Lions?

Oh, Hey, Love of my life, I've traveled back in time to prove that you were in fact the love of my life. And why? For better armor.

Fantastic_Four_Vol_3_67_0001

Haven't read this yet, but the page was introduced to me here on Sup Forums.

Dark Reign: ZThe Cabal Comic #1

Of Course

I wonder if there's a decent collection of early Doom stories, rather than having to buy single issues

His most recent popup of feets of strength

And Iron Man 149&150
And Luke Cage #9
And #FF 246&247
And astonishing tales #8 (which I think is included with Triumph & Torment )
And Emperor Doom
Don't forget the original Secret Wars either

Funny, that was storytimed recently and we were all commenting how "un-Doom" Doom felt.

Awesome, thanks.

Do you have an opinion on Waid's portrayal of Doom in Unthinkable?

I haven't read it and I refuse to, based on the premise I've read about. It goes against Byrne, Hickman, and even Kirby/Lee's Doom (c.f. FF Annual#2)

>Is he a large part of the Hickman FF run?
Yes. He even joins the FF at one point..

Waid's a good F4 writer, but is one of the all time worst Doom writers.

So it's not as simple as buying TPBs of Fantastic Four, then FF, then Avengers, then New Avengers, then Secret Wars; and reading them in that order?

Would it be pointless in doing so?

this

I love how we get a whole thread bitching about the new Venom host overpowering the symbiote with willpower but Doom literally does inexplicable shit because "I am Doom" and nobody here bats an eyelash, in fact he's praised for it.

Fuckin Doom, man.

Because Doom has decades of work done and will still get criticized if he does stuff out of character or stupid. Neither is going on in that page.

Ignore the FF stuff, he is a cartoon character there. The FF are a relics of a bygone era. Everything introduced with them has long been perfected by other stories. The gruff self hating badass that was the thing? That was perfected by Wolverine. The teenage human torch that wants to be a hero and uses creative ways exploring his power to the point of having his own mini rogues gallery back in the 60s? That's perfected by Spiderman.

Drop FF recs. Other writers have done better Doom stories that doesn't revolve around those outdated fucks.

Read Dr Doom and Dr Strange" triumph and torment as he tries to recover the lost soul of his mother trapped in hell. Read Emperor Doom where he uses purple mans powers to take over the whole world. Read Doomwar where he wins a war against wakanda and steals all their vibranium. NOW THESE are doom stories.

You want Hickman's doom? Read New Avengers instead where he becomes god.

Just saying Doom can resist the Purple Man's universally consistent power because MUH WILLPOWER is pretty stupid.

Well, you are wrong.

Yeah judging by your responses it's not surprising you're okay with that kind of writing.

What are doombots?
What is a bluff?
What is any magic science memory doom has at his disposal?
Come on user can you even into doom?

DOOM Essential Reading List
I knew I saved this for a reason

Stan & Kirby's Fantastic Four. Get ready for a hell of a ride.

Then Astonishing Tales, Super Villain Team-Up, Byrne FF, Secret Wars and Triumph and Torment.

Oh, I forgot Books of Doom. Everything else is not important, but Doom is always cool.
Hickman's FF is boring crap where almost nothing happens.

The Villainy of Doctor Doom.