Is this the first villain song to directly attack the "be who you are" moral...

Is this the first villain song to directly attack the "be who you are" moral? Or have they just never been this S H I N Y?

>villain

I wouldn't even consider this a "villain" song. This guy gets about five minutes of screentime, so it's hard to consider him anything more than a sideline distraction.

It's also a very strange attack on a moral that seems sort of blurred in the film - mainly in that it isn't a moral at all. Moana always does whatever the fuck she wants, and Tamatoa's vanity fails to complement her character in any real way.

>Most visually interesting character
>Funny and flamboyant yet intimidating when needed
>One of the catchiest badguy songs in a long time

>On screen for 5-10 minutes
Massive shame.

For real.
I think he should have shown up again at the end in some capacity.

>Poor Unfortunate Souls

its not even a real attack one the moral anyway since the song seems to imply that by becoming Shiny Tamatoa was letting his "real" self out.

i guess poor unfortunate souls counts as one too.

Did it really though?
Moana's dilemma was that her father didn't think she was good enough to go sailing but she did anything because the moral is about having the courage to do what you want and follow your dreams and whatnot.

Tamatoa is someone who CHOOSES how he wants to look. Similarly to Moana he didn't like the situation he was in and CHOSE to become shiny because it made him feel good. Nobody was forcing himself to become shiny, ain't like Tamatoa had a family that relied on him being beautiful. He just said "Screw it, I like being pretty so I'm gonna be pretty".

If he wasn't so vain and an antagonist he'd be a moral about how it's okay to change yourself if it's what you truly want and genuinely makes you feel good.

>One of the catchiest badguy songs in a long time
It was shit though?
No beat, the lyrics were shit, the background music was shit
the only thing nice about it were visuals

I seriously dont understand how anyone could like this song, its honestly perplexing how popular it is

>No beat
I feel like this is wrong but I don't know enough about music to really argue against it.

People on here loved the song when all we had was the audio from the soundtrack and didn't know what the scene itself was like.

>its honestly perplexing how popular it is

It's because of Jemaine. He carries the song with his vocals alone.

The song also stands out because he's basically the only one in the entire lineup who can sing, despite the movie being a musical. The teenage girl who they got to voice Moana sucks. Lin-Manuel sucks. The grandma sucks. The Rock sucks.

Shiny was mediocre.
You're Welcome, on the other hand. It took me a month to get that song out of my head.

he just resubmits 'be who you are ON THE INSIDE" with 'be who you are.. on the outside"? different approach to the same point, he sure looks like a guy who has a blast being himself either

I loved it, but I'll agree to disagree.

>The grandma sucks.
>The Rock sucks.
You take that back YOU MONSTER.

>he sure looks like a guy who has a blast being himself either

Yeah, to me this is the point of his song. Tamatoa is vain as hell, so he's just making his outside match the inside. The real difference between him and Maui is that Tamatoa doesn't care whether his vanity is harmful for others, whereas Maui is ultimately well-intended.

I WAS A DRAB LITTLE CRAB ONCE

NOW I EAT YOU SO PREPARE YOUR FINAL PLEA
JUST FOR ME

Composition major here, the biggest issue with most of Lin Manual's work stems from the lyrics, plus he seems to forget how to end songs properly.

For "Shiny," there is very little indication musically speaking (construction of chords, not the use of instruments) when the song ends. It just does.

That's why it can seem like there is no beat. The song isn't put together well structurally in terms of chords. Combine that with hurried lyrics that don't scan well, plus an irregular number of of syllables in subsequent verses and you'll find that the choruses/important drops seem to come out of nowhere.

It makes hard for an average listener to "grab" onto anything, thus lessening the impact of the song.

Granted, "You're Welcome" is nicely put together, though it's pretty derivative (and if you listen to Lin's other works you've heard this sort of song before.)

I personally think the problems stem from Lin's background in hip-hop.
Wishy-washy verses that have definitive, strong choruses.

>Composition major

hahaha oh wow

I think the other problem is that there's only so much you can do with a bowie tribute. If you want people to recognize it, you go "Ziggy Stardust" not "Dancing in the street."

I keep hearing this guy is the best part of the film, yet like with plenty of other people, "Shiny" totally failed to grab me. So does this mean the movie is pretty shit? You're Welcome was neater but nothing I'd write home about.

It rhymed "glitters" with itself.

This is unforgivable.

At least it wasn't "My island." over and over again.

No, the rhyme goes glittlers-beginners-glittlers-dinners.

>people are still shilling the dry boring stale saltine cracker that is Moana

>tfw I've written jingles, video game soundtracks, short films, symphonies, and currently writing lyrics for a musical
>tfw I'm making solid money

Dunno about you m8y I'm having a ball here.

Is there a good quality rip of this movie yet? i haven't seen it and I'm too poor to go to the theater for now

"glitters"
"beginners"
"glitters"
"dinners"

A
B
A
B

Granted, A and B in this case are slant rhymes with each other. If he wanted all four slant rhyme together, he should've switched out one of the "glitters" for "glimmers". Likewise, if he wanted to keep the AB rhyme scheme he could've switched the other one out for "shimmers", and not had to re-use a word.

I'm sure I'll piss off whatever forever alone dipshit moderates this board, but the fact that a dumb nigger rapper did the music for this film is why it sounds absolutely horrible. There is no music theory in rap or hip-hop. You steal a seconds long beat (oh sorry, "sample") and then brag about how many women you've raped, how much shit you steal, how many cops you've murdered, etc. Just because MC Tyrese made several hundred million off spoiled suburban kids with this garbage doesn't make it a legitimate form of music. Someone please fire up the oven at Disney and shove everyone responsible for Moana in it, I implore you.

Yes Sup Forums, we know. Now go be furry somewhere else.

You're Welcome is one of the best Disney songs ever.

People are fucking stupid. They keep talking about this shit song when the genius You're Welcome and We Know the Way are in the same movie.

Yeah, it's cool that he kicked the shit out of the dude while singing the song. That doesn't make it a good song.

Sup Forums is just once again circlejerking to the villain song solely because it's the villain.

it's their special way of being contrarian cause they don't like the popular songs.

As someone who doesn't really know Bowie's work, I too noticed that the song was trying to go for a mixture of specific styles.

I liked most of Shiny but the way some of the verses ended didn't sit right with me, making me unable to fully enjoy the song.

Plus, I hate music with dialogue interludes.

Sup Forums isn't one person

I feel like a fucking retard for not realizing sooner that it's a Bowie tribute.

>a dumb nigger rapper
He's Puerto Rican. Also his background isn't some poor kid who had to work his way up, he didn't come from the slums, or have a parent abandon him, or do drugs, or fucking anything. He's practically a wigger. At least insult him correctly.

>the lyrics were shit
You're kidding, right?

>the biggest issue with most of Lin Manual's work stems from the lyrics

I don't get this opinion. Aside from Sondheim, Miranda is the best currently working lyricist.

You're both wrong. It's

glimmers
beginners
shimmers
fish dinners

>the biggest issue with most of Lin Manual's work stems from the lyrics
u wot mate
Also, Lin Manual, relay instructions

>I like thing
>SHILL! YOU CANNOT LIKE THING UNLESS YOU ARE BEING PAID!
You are cancer.

I know I'm right because I've heard the song like twelve times.

>Lin-Manuel sucks

Fucking kys. That man has amounted to more than you ever will in your entire life.

I didn't know it was even possible to be this retarded.

He's barely passable as a vocalist and was both the worst part of his musical and Moana.

Aside from Sondheim, Miranda is one of the greatest lyricists alive. I'm sure your smug ass is SO much better.

You don't have to be a great vocalist to write good music/lyrics, faggot. I can smell your shit taste from here.

It's carefully constructed to be as Sup Forums as it can.

He didn't just write lyrics. He sings in the movie. Did you just forget?

When did I say that he didn't?

>till shilling the dry boring stale saltine cracker that is Moana

true, we all know what was the best movie of 2016

I disagree. Lin's lyrics tend to have poor scansion (see "I'm just like my country I'm young SCRAPpy and hungry...") or don't rhyme.

He's improved upon this in Moana. But, I think Miranda has some ways to go, especially when you have people like William Finn, Tim Rice and Lynn Ahrens still within the industry.

I think he's good! But that's all, just good.

>manual

Shit, whoops.

>u wot mate

Lyrical rhythm, more than the music, dictates the structure and flow of a melody.

With too many lyrics within a phrase, the melody becomes less clear. I think Miranda's best work occurs during choruses like in Shiny, You're Welcome - they're catchy as hell.

But I find the stuff inbetween lacking, only because he's shown he can write good lyrics that sing.

Considering he's a coconut crab and there were coconut pirates in the movie - I wouldn't be surprised if he was the main villain in an earlier draft and said coconuts were his minions.

I think I do a better job than Miranda, yes. And I think he is very very good.

But he isn't as good as Finn, Rice, or Ahrens. Or Sondheim.

it's more of a complement to Maui than Moana

just beeeeeeeeeee urself dude

Is animator nigga around

Update us, mang

holy shit I just realized Moana is an animated Whale Rider

They said they wouldn't post a draft, but rather the whole thing when it was done.

Contain your thirst, man.

I fucking loved this character. Can't wait for a sequel just so I can see more of this nigga, I hope they have some flashbacks of when he and Maui were actually friends and why he ripped off his leg.

Ehhhh I dunno he was just too full of himself in the end.

>If he wasn't so vain and an antagonist he'd be a moral about how it's okay to change yourself if it's what you truly want and genuinely makes you feel good.
So, an analogy for transsexual?

Everyone loves Be Prepared and so does Sup Forums, same for Hellfire, how is it being contrarian? Villain songs are usually popular

What is with Sup Forums and their thirst for Disney sequels?!

You're exaggerating

>villain

NuPPG writer get out

He wasn't matching his outsides to his insides; he decided on what his insides were FROM his outside. It's the reverse of being who you are on the inside; it's basing yourself on your looks (Tamatoa's SHINY shell)/achievements or stuff (Maui with his heroics and his hook).

no more drafts until it's done! but im working on it, promise

>what is it with Sup Forums and their thirst for more Sup Forums related stuff?!

I don't think it's so much that he's the best part of the film so much as you don't really see him coming and when he shows up, he's not what you expect and he's fairly entertaining for the 5 or 10 minutes he's on screen.

I loved every scene involving sailing the ocean. Really captured that combination of awe/beauty and trepidation/fear I get when I'm out on the ocean in my kayak.

WELL WELL WELL
LITTLE MAUI'S HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIS LOOK

>couldn't defeat a big crab
>couldn't defeat a lava monster
>only victory was against dorky coconut pirates
Shit demigod

youuu got it
the beatdown is so close i can taste it

He was pretty rusty when fought Tomatoa, and the lava monster was a corrupted version of the goddess who created life.

For being an Evil Supreme Being the monster was pretty shit, just threw lava balls and swatted. A lot like a video game boss.

idk what else you'd expect her to do, she was a lava monster stranded on a barrier surrounded by ocean. throwing and swatting is probably the best anyone could do in those circumstances

damn it user, now I'll have that record scratching sound stuck in my head.

this is the only good thing that came from this movie.

user THAT'S GAY

>No beat
White guy detected!

i really have to stop coming around here because every time i do it makes me want to show you guys the newer frames, but then there would be nothing left to show when i finish the damn thing. also i hate spamming threads SOOO im just gonna drop this and bounce outta here

goodnight Sup Forums

LMM's pretty damn good, but Jason Robert Brown and Adam Guettel are both pretty high tier too. Also, I will say that LMM has a tend to end all his songs on the exact same button. (for non-music people, a button is ending a song on a fully fleshed out chord. For LMM, see 96,000, My Shot, You're Welcome, Schuyler Sisters, etc. and notice how the ending is always a button chord.

Good non-specific comment, friends.

> that size difference

good shit.

>Implying I didn't hear it until I saw the movie

When I heard it I didn't know the context, and I still loved it.

>brown demigod gets wrecked within an inch of his life (xxx)

He's a foil for Maui's character, not Moana's.

> when something hits your buttons just right

I'm a nursing major and I'm diagnosing you as a faggot.

Then why did you call yourself a composition major rather than composer? That's like calling myself a nursing major if I've been working in various ICUs, work for various non profit foundations, and started my own clinic. I actually don't believe you.

I'm sure you can get someone here to provide. Because now I wanna see it too.

>Beefy Hawaiian pounded by fabulous dominator while his girl watches

>semi demi minigod gets put in his place

I guess it's time to go bother /y/ about this, then.

godspeed
also ask animatorfag if they ever show up again